• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Recently, I came to the conclusion, that I have "dysintellexia" - a thinking disability

Gottservant

God loves your words, may men love them also
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
Hi there,

So yes, for some time now, my doctors and other people in my life, have been saying "you have schizophrenia, that is why you don't make sense". But actually, my condition goes deeper than a simple "schizophrenic" diagnosis. I have dysintellexia - dysintellexia is the inability to relate one thought to another (in much the same way someone with dyslexia has the inability to relate one word to another). This is a relief to me, as I do not need to prove that my schizophrenia is harmless or benign - it is my dysintellexia that makes me confusing.

The way forward for me, is to learn not to over-react to what I can't change and not attempt to make more sense out of clashes of different thoughts, than is really possible. If I speak simply and plainly, the truth will emerge - neither beholden to the way I think it, or what for. This means I must practice to speak simply and plainly. If I can do that, my dysintellexia will be limited in the meaning that can be confused. I will not confuse people. It may be that my schizophrenia, affects my understanding, of where I need to stop - that is true.

The trick to knowing when to stop, is that it - everything - is in some way related to the Holy Spirit. If I can serve the Holy Spirit, even having dysintellexia and schizophrenia, then I will have pleased God. If I have pleased God, I will be strong. If I am strong (in Spirit), the Lord Jesus Christ will be praised. In this I know that even my dysintellexia and schizophrenia have served God - which is a mystery, to almost all. Those that are in the truth, hear Jesus. I hear Jesus. I hear the truth. This is not a mystery to me. It is a mystery to others, but not to me.

I hope my testimony helps you understand something about yourself, as well - that sometimes it is not just the simple diagnosis that is right, but that other conditions may have an effect.

Thanks for listening.

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for being open in your sharing of concerns, friend. I think that maybe a diagnosis of "schizophrenia" may be a hasty conclusion. I wonder if a psychiatrist assigned that or some other counselor. You do not herein seem fragmented in your thought processes, but possibly limited by some other mal-function in mental activity (maybe even being hasty in expressing, rather than thinking a matter better before speaking) ---from what you shared. Maybe you should look into further diagnosis on that. Anyway, as you said: you "hear Jesus", and that is real and good.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟987,269.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Hi there,

So yes, for some time now, my doctors and other people in my life, have been saying "you have schizophrenia, that is why you don't make sense". But actually, my condition goes deeper than a simple "schizophrenic" diagnosis. I have dysintellexia - dysintellexia is the inability to relate one thought to another (in much the same way someone with dyslexia has the inability to relate one word to another). This is a relief to me, as I do not need to prove that my schizophrenia is harmless or benign - it is my dysintellexia that makes me confusing.

The way forward for me, is to learn not to over-react to what I can't change and not attempt to make more sense out of clashes of different thoughts, than is really possible. If I speak simply and plainly, the truth will emerge - neither beholden to the way I think it, or what for. This means I must practice to speak simply and plainly. If I can do that, my dysintellexia will be limited in the meaning that can be confused. I will not confuse people. It may be that my schizophrenia, affects my understanding, of where I need to stop - that is true.

The trick to knowing when to stop, is that it - everything - is in some way related to the Holy Spirit. If I can serve the Holy Spirit, even having dysintellexia and schizophrenia, then I will have pleased God. If I have pleased God, I will be strong. If I am strong (in Spirit), the Lord Jesus Christ will be praised. In this I know that even my dysintellexia and schizophrenia have served God - which is a mystery, to almost all. Those that are in the truth, hear Jesus. I hear Jesus. I hear the truth. This is not a mystery to me. It is a mystery to others, but not to me.

I hope my testimony helps you understand something about yourself, as well - that sometimes it is not just the simple diagnosis that is right, but that other conditions may have an effect.

Thanks for listening.

Hi Gotty

It's nice to hear from you. I like the idea of 'dysintellexia" as a description for some of your more eclectic posts.

I've been reading the "Wisdom of Gotty" for years so I've come to see something of a pattern in your posts. Your most dysintellexual posts always seem to revolve around some aspect of evolution. I don't know why but it seems to be a topic which fascinates you when you are in that particular frame of mind. Your debates with Warden of the Storm are particularly entertaining.

At the other end - your less dysintellexual posts are typically a measured discussion of some aspect of Christian theology or spirituality - both erudite and intellectual.

I've also noticed that, even in the longest posts, you rarely trip over grammar or make a spelling mistake. Even at your most disintellexual the Grammar Fairy still sits on your shoulder.

I've also noticed Gotty that you never lack for a sense of humour.

Dysintellexual or not my friend - I look forward to your little (and not so little) posts as a ray of sunshine in an otherwise dreary CF world.

OB

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Gottservant
Upvote 0

Gottservant

God loves your words, may men love them also
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
I have to say, it is not simply dysintellexia. But if you want to communicate better than me, it's not necessary to have the same intellect. That's probably the problem in 90% of the conversations, I have.

Thanks for being reasonable (you're right, I don't often make spelling mistakes).

I will be looking out for your posts, from now on. Stay humble!

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟987,269.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
I have to say, it is not simply dysintellexia. But if you want to communicate better than me, it's not necessary to have the same intellect. That's probably the problem in 90% of the conversations, I have.

Thanks for being reasonable (you're right, I don't often make spelling mistakes).

I will be looking out for your posts, from now on. Stay humble!

I'm very proud to say that humility is my middle name. :rolleyes:

OB

Reactions: Gottservant
Upvote 0