Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
C. H. Spurgeon: Spurgeon's Sermons Volume 30: 1884 - Christian Classics Ethereal Library

I was reading this sermon this morning on Acts of the Apostles 19:2

"He said unto them, Have you received the Holy Spirit since you believed?"

And I found it to fill me with peace, and left me in prayer, so I thought others might find the same benefit as I did today after taking the time to read it through and consider the words.

I'm having problems copy-pasting any important points from the sermon, so I hope it will suffice for you to read at the link.

Dave L

Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As I understand this, these were born again OT saints under John, the last OT prophet. Jesus said to such the Spirit is with you but shall be in you. This happened at Pentecost to many born-again OT saints including the Apostles. So all present received the indwelling of the Holy Spirit and from then on all receive the New Birth with the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. Even today. Repentance leads to the fulness of the Spirit. The less of you muddying the water, the more of the Spirit.

The Baptism of the Holy Spirit was only for the Apostles and those they laid their hands on until their job was finished. Also for those in the two outpourings.

Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

I'm back
Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟676,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
As I understand this, these were born again OT saints under John, the last OT prophet. Jesus said to such the Spirit is with you but shall be in you. This happened at Pentecost to many born-again OT saints including the Apostles. So all present received the indwelling of the Holy Spirit and from then on all receive the New Birth with the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. Even today. Repentance leads to the fulness of the Spirit. The less of you muddying the water, the more of the Spirit.

The Baptism of the Holy Spirit was only for the Apostles and those they laid their hands on until their job was finished. Also for those in the two outpourings.

In the sermon the Pastor points out:

"Now, be it never forgotten that those works of the Holy Spirit which are permanent must assuredly be of greater value than those which were transitory. We cannot suppose that the Holy Spirit brought forth the best wine at first and that His operations gradually deteriorated. It is a rule of the Kingdom of God to keep the best wine for the last and, therefore, I conclude that you and I are not left to partake of the dregs, but that those works of the Holy Spirit which are at this time vouchsafed to the Church of God are, in every way, as valuable as those earlier miraculous gifts which have departed from us. The work of the Holy Spirit, by which men are quickened from their death in sin, is not inferior to the power which made men speak with tongues! The work of the Holy Spirit, when He comforts men and makes them glad in Christ, is by no means second to the opening of the eyes of the blind! Why, Sirs, men might have the gifts of the Spirit as to miracles and yet might perish, after all! But he that has the spiritual gifts of the Holy Spirit shall never perish— they are saving blessings and where they come, they lift the man out of his sinful state and make him to be a child of God!"

Upvote 0