Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Be advised: you're in the Catholic forum.

I've had a hard time mobilizing myself to receive communion for a very long time now, and I feel unsure whether I'll be able to do it during Easter. The last time I received was June or July of 2018, somewhere around there. I've only gone to confession once since then. Things are compounded by my work/sleep schedule, but that's not the whole problem. A lot of it lies with the fact that when I CAN go, I don't. I just can't muster the energy to follow through with it, and I'm sure that the sins I'm committing have a good hold on me.

If I don't receive during the Easter season, that's a mortal sin right?

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
Dear Fenwick,
I've read some of your predicaments in earlier threads and the thing I'm most concerned with is your view on the sacrament of reconciliation and the validity of the absolution of the church.

Why dont you wish to go and receive the Lord in the sacrament? As long as you have confessed everything that needs to be confessed you should be joyful and get in line for communion as often as you can.
Its truely a wonderful mystery, I'm talking about the Eucharist. Just think of it for a second, the Lord himself is there waiting to revitalize your faith and your spirit.

I used to be overly zealous about when to recieve and when not to, but as of lately I've started to realize that one should recieve as long as ones sincere at heart.
Even in mortal sin one could and should recieve holy communion as long as one's working up courage etc to go to confession. (Its something totally different if ones living in sin and fail to recognize it as such).

I believe that the grace of communion have brought be to confession more than once in the past and to cut oneself of from that grace is highly purposeless imho.

So your biggest issue as I see it from where I'm standing is why you doubt in the absolution you've received and why dont you feel at ease and joyful over the sacrament of the altar?

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,012,478.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I have been to confession so much over the last few years that they now have my name above the door to the confessional! Lol

Go. Be absolved. God is waiting for you with His open, loving, merciful arms.

God bless you

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

-Sasha-

Handmaid of God
Apr 12, 2019
Midwest
✟27,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm an Eastern Orthodox Christian, so I don't have the answer to your question. Forgive me if my comment is out of place in this conversation... I just wanted to echo part of what Matteus said above: participation in the Sacraments strengthens us for the battle against our sins! The Lord Himself waits for you to run back to Him in your sufferings and failings, just as the father of the prodigal son.

Reactions: Skittles
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Fenwick- I have been debating this off and on in my mind for awhile now.... Have you been to the doctor lately? I think you should get checked for depression. It could be temporary or turn into a bigger issue. You have had several upheavals in your life. You may need something to help get you back on track.

I've had a hard time mobilizing myself to receive communion for a very long time now, and I feel unsure whether I'll be able to do it during Easter. The last time I received was June or July of 2018, somewhere around there. I've only gone to confession once since then. Things are compounded by my work/sleep schedule, but that's not the whole problem. A lot of it lies with the fact that when I CAN go, I don't. I just can't muster the energy to follow through with it, and I'm sure that the sins I'm committing have a good hold on me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Spherical

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2016
US
✟111,121.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Easter season is long enough, brother (or sister?). I encourage you to receive Communion, not out of the sense of duty, but because of the graces you will receive from it. I'd suggest reading about what the saints say about Communion, how it sparks their love of God, what they experienced in it, etc. That might help you desire it even more. God is waiting for you (as @Lost4words said); He wants you to experience His love as He pours His many graces on you!

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,069.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Fenwick- I have been debating this off and on in my mind for awhile now.... Have you been to the doctor lately? I think you should get checked for depression. It could be temporary or turn into a bigger issue. You have had several upheavals in your life. You may need something to help get you back on track.

Thanks for the suggestion, Michie. I finally have employer-provided insurance so maybe I’ll follow that advice and schedule a checkup.

Easter season is long enough, brother (or sister?). I encourage you to receive Communion, not out of the sense of duty, but because of the graces you will receive from it. I'd suggest reading about what the saints say about Communion, how it sparks their love of God, what they experienced in it, etc. That might help you desire it even more. God is waiting for you (as @Lost4words said); He wants you to experience His love as He pours His many graces on you!

Thanks, I’ll try to do that. My priest is taking a week off to recuperate so my parish won’t be having it’s normal daily confessions again until next week. But once those resume maybe I can find a way to get in there, or just schedule an appointment. I’m just not as comfortable with face to face confession.

Oh well, I’ll figure it out.

I’m a dude by the way, so you have it right. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was afraid to say it Fenwick but I couldn't hurt. I recognize things in you that I saw in myself when I was struggling. It's like all joy and energy is just sucked out if you and its a tough place to get out of. Logically, you know something is wrong but he incentive to do anything about it is barely there if at all. You have has a lot of changes in your life and that can definitely bring things like this on. Most of the time, the treatment is not forever. I was on Prozac two years that got me back on track. I liked it because there is very little side effects. Prayers for you!

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,069.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I was afraid to say it Fenwick but I couldn't hurt. I recognize things in you that I saw in myself when I was struggling. It's like all joy and energy is just sucked out if you and its a tough place to get out of. Logically, you know something is wrong but he incentive to do anything about it is barely there if at all. You have has a lot of changes in your life and that can definitely bring things like this on. Most of the time, the treatment is not forever. I was on Prozac two years that got me back on track. I liked it because there is very little side effects. Prayers for you!

I guess I hadn't really thought about it until now. Maybe half-jokingly I would say I'm depressed, but when I consider it more seriously, maybe I am. I just feel guilty if I ever feel like I'm a Debbie Downer to people around me, ya know?

• Prayers
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I guess I hadn't really thought about it until now. Maybe half-jokingly I would say I'm depressed, but when I consider it more seriously, maybe I am. I just feel guilty if I ever feel like I'm a Debbie Downer to people around me, ya know?
Don't feel guilty. These things often can't be helped. Prayers you feel a lot better soon! It's no fun feeling as you do.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jonathan Mathews

Dec 5, 2015
Indianapolis
✟33,481.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

If your not worthy, do NOT take communion. Some people are sick and die because of this. (1 Corinthians 11:28-30) The question is, how do you become worthy before God? You must confess your sins to Jesus Christ, who lives to make intercession for you (Hebrews 7:25). If you repent (turn from sin towards Jesus Christ) and confess your sins to Him who is our High Priest (Hebrews 6:20), God says they will be forgiven and you will be cleansed of all unrighteousness (1 John 1:9), making you worthy to receive communion.

Upvote 0

Virgil the Roman

Young Fogey & Monarchist-Distributist . . .
Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Fenwick:

With the utmost charity, I beg you to consult a Father Confessor or Spiritual Director.

In kindness and charity, I advise you, that whenever you are in a state of Grace to fulfill your Easter Duty. As a Catholic: one is obliged to confess one's sins at least once a year and receive Holy Communion at least once a year. One is required to be in a state of grace and not in mortal sin in order to receive Holy Communion. If one is not in a state of Grace: do not partake unworthily of the Holy Eucharist.

We are actually forbidden by Holy Scripture, Divine Tradition, and the Council of Trent to partake in Holy Communion in a state of Mortal sin even if we have said an act of contrition or feel ourselves personally contrite, our feelings in this case are immaterial; unless, our communion is preceded by sacramental confession if we're in a state of mortal sin.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Jonathan Mathews is not Catholic.
With the utmost charity, I beg you to consult a Father Confessor or Spiritual Director.

In kindness and charity, I advise you, that whenever you are in a state of Grace to fulfill your Easter Duty. As a Catholic: one is obliged to confess one's sins at least once a year and receive Holy Communion at least once a year. One is required to be in a state of grace and not in mortal sin in order to receive Holy Communion. If one is not in a state of Grace: do not partake unworthily of the Holy Eucharist.

We are actually forbidden by Holy Scripture, Divine Tradition, and the Council of Trent to partake in Holy Communion in a state of Mortal sin even if we have said an act of contrition or feel ourselves personally contrite, our feelings in this case are immaterial; unless, our communion is preceded by sacramental confession if we're in a state of mortal sin.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,069.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

Don't worry, I wouldn't dare set foot in the communion line if I wasn't in a state of grace. That's why it's been nine months since I last received.

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
I stand by my view on communion as a divine help in the process of going to confession.
I've yet to be told otherwise and I've spoken about this with some many clergymen that I cannot remember the exact numbers.
Monks, priests and bishops they all seem to recognize the huge difference between a sincere believe who's struggling and those who dwell in their sins without any remorse.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums