Visit site
✟1,505,837.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Churches of Christ as I have encountered them here, I would describe as being basically Baptists who have communion every week.

Would you call groups who don't do infant baptism "mainline"? (I know I've said it before, but "mainline" really doesn't mean anything in Australia, so I get confused about how Americans understand it).

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I thought that you were referring to different factions within the Churches of Christ, Shane. That was unexpected since the CsofC congregations hardly differ an inch, one to another.

But if it is the separate church bodies that came out of the non-denominational or restorationist movement...well, yes, that would easily explain the diff. It wouldn't be the Disciples that would take a sterner approach towards visitors communing, but one of the others might.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,082.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Churches of Christ as I have encountered them here, I would describe as being basically Baptists who have communion every week.

Would you call groups who don't do infant baptism "mainline"? (I know I've said it before, but "mainline" really doesn't mean anything in Australia, so I get confused about how Americans understand it).
Yes. This is a very rough definition, but mainline is used more or less to mean "non-evangelical" theologically they are more moderate or liberal, and usually egalitarian.

• Informative
Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟566,557.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I thought that you were referring to different factions within the Churches of Christ, Shane. That was unexpected since the CsofC congregations hardly differ an inch, one to another.

But if it is the separate church bodies that came out of the non-denominational or restorationist movement...well, yes, that would easily explain the diff. It wouldn't be the Disciples that would take a sterner approach towards visitors communing, but one of the others might.
I was speaking of all of the miscellaneous groups to emerge from the Stone-Campbell Restoration movement. At least the main ones. There are outliers like the no Sunday school faction.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,082.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I was speaking of all of the miscellaneous groups to emerge from the Stone-Campbell Restoration movement.
It actually fascinates me how much diversity is in that movement, then again I have one foot in Lutheranism and the Lutheran tradition in America is probably just as diverse.

Reactions: Shane R
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I was speaking of all of the miscellaneous groups to emerge from the Stone-Campbell Restoration movement.
My apologies, Shane. I had the posts and comments given by everbecoming2007 in my mind, not yours, when I wrote what I did. :doh:Now that I've checked back through the posts, I can see where I went wrong.

• Friendly
Reactions: Shane R
Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟566,557.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
This is what ol' Shane looked like in those days:
B.jpg

That was a long time ago.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It breaks down something like this: Disciples of Christ (basically mainline these days); Christian Churches (instrumental); Churches of Christ (non-instrumental); Churches of Christ non-institutional (the sect I was raised in). Then there is the cultish outlier "International Churches of Christ" sometimes known as the "Boston Movement."
Do all these groups go back to Alexander Campbell in some way?

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟566,557.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Do all these groups go back to Alexander Campbell in some way?
Yes. Campbell and Stone were the driving forces of the early movement. Later it was Smith and Scott. Some will claim they date to a Methodist named O'Kelley (1790s) but that is questionable.

• Informative
Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums