Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
"Scripture" trumps RCC's Papal Magisterium and/or Sacred Tradition = the true doctrine of "Scriptura Suprema."

Hebrews 4:12
For the "word of God" is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword,
and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow,
and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

Matthew 24:35
Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will not pass away.

The words of God interpret the words of God.

1 Peter 1:23b ... the living and enduring word of God.

Revelation 19:13 ...and His name is called The Word of God.

John 3:34
For He whom God has sent speaks the words of God;
for He gives the Spirit without measure.

John 8:47
He who is of God hears the words of God;
for this reason you do not hear them, because you are not of God.”

2 Timothy 2:15
Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman
who does not need to be ashamed,
accurately handling the word of truth.

Joshua 23:14b... not one word of all the good words which the Lord your God spoke concerning you has failed

Romans 3:4b....let God be found true, though every man be found a liar

Revelation 19:9b... “These are true words of God.”

Revelation 22:6 ... “These words are faithful and true”;

Upvote 0

justme1272

Sep 10, 2017
Europe
✟17,090.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I haven't read the whole thread, but here it is:

I know priests that believe in annihalism . However, to be catholic, you're required to believe their doctrine, as taught by the CCC, the Catechism of the Catholic Church. The CCC teaches in hell - eternal punishment. These priests are thought of as outside of what is taught. OTOH, who can know what you're thinking? A traditional catholic will be very upset with me right now.

I believe trusting in SOME doctrine could actually lead to loss of salvation. OTOH, some doctrine does not lead to loss of salvation. What you believe about the afterlife does not affect your life now.

If you want to become Catholic you're going to have to speak to a priest and join a one year class in RCIA. Classes in catholicism. This might help you:
How to Become a Catholic | Catholic Answers

Apostolic succession is necessary for the transubstantiation of the host into the body and blood of Jesus. I'm a little confused as to what you're asking; however, it's not enough to believe in transb to receive communion in a Catholic church. You must be part of the community...communion, community.

BTW, if you DO NOT accept one of the doctrine, the procedure would be for you to pray about it and not to deny it.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the input! Precisely as you said, to be Catholic one must accept the whole doctrine, which is what I've done hopefully, with God's grace. The necessity for an infallible authority regarding doctrines about salvation, eternity etc is a big part of what lead me to the conclusion that the RCC is the One True Church because it (beside the Orthodox, maybe also Oriental-Orthodox etc? not sure..) claims infallibility in matters of doctrine. If God really did found one Church and guaranteed its infallibility, surely it must also boldly proclaim this privilege so that sinners can find their way to His Church? Hopefully it makes sense!

BTW, if you DO NOT accept one of the doctrine, the procedure would be for you to pray about it and not to deny it.
Couldn't agree more!

• Agree
Reactions: GodsGrace101
Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Scripture" trumps RCC's Papal Magisterium and/or Sacred Tradition = the true doctrine of "Scriptura Suprema."

Hebrews 4:12
For the "word of God" is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword,
and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow,
and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

Matthew 24:35
Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will not pass away.

The words of God interpret the words of God.

1 Peter 1:23b ... the living and enduring word of God.

Revelation 19:13 ...and His name is called The Word of God.

John 3:34
For He whom God has sent speaks the words of God;
for He gives the Spirit without measure.

John 8:47
He who is of God hears the words of God;
for this reason you do not hear them, because you are not of God.”

2 Timothy 2:15
Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman
who does not need to be ashamed,
accurately handling the word of truth.

Joshua 23:14b... not one word of all the good words which the Lord your God spoke concerning you has failed

Romans 3:4b....let God be found true, though every man be found a liar

Revelation 19:9b... “These are true words of God.”

Revelation 22:6 ... “These words are faithful and true”;
In case you had any doubt, the RCC also believes in the bible.
They don't interpret it as Protestants do. I'm sure you've noticed that between Protestants there are many sects -- this turns some people to the off position.

We'll know when we get to heaven who is right. In the meantime, at least Catholics don't argue amongst themselves.

Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Transubstantiation?
Consubstantiation?
No substantiation?

Simply obey Jesus the Christ's ordinance!

Luke 22:19
And when He had taken some bread and given thanks, He broke it and gave it to them, saying, “This is My body which is given for you; do this in remembrance of Me.”

Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the input! Precisely as you said, to be Catholic one must accept the whole doctrine, which is what I've done hopefully, with God's grace. The necessity for an infallible authority regarding doctrines about salvation, eternity etc is a big part of what lead me to the conclusion that the RCC is the One True Church because it (beside the Orthodox, maybe also Oriental-Orthodox etc? not sure..) claims infallibility in matters of doctrine. If God really did found one Church and guaranteed its infallibility, surely it must also boldly proclaim this privilege so that sinners can find their way to His Church? Hopefully it makes sense!

Couldn't agree more!
P.S.
I hope you're going to Mass.
Read books by Dr. Scott Hahn. He used to be Protestant and became Catholic after attending the Mass.
The Lamb's Supper is very good.
All his books are good.

Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1 Corinthians 11:25
In the same way He took the cup also after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in My blood; do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me.”
I saw this by mistake. If you don't tag me in how am I supposed to see this??
Read John 6:54. I'm not one to read the Greek, but in this case check it out.

I don't jest. There's a book called the CCC. You must know it. It tells what Catholics believe.
Is there such a book in Protestantism?
No.
Catholics have one Pope.
Protestants have many popes.

BTW, I'm protestant. But I can see the good and the bad in both.

Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Q: Is there such a book (like CCC) in Protestantism?
A: What's "Protestantism"? Non - RCC?
Yes.
Doctrinal Statement | Dallas Theological Seminary (DTS)

Q: Catholics have one Pope.
A: What's a Pope in the Bible? Overseer?
Non-RCC trusts the Bible, not imperfect elected people.

Most of Jesus' words in John 6 are a metaphor: "Bread of Life"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Most of my family are devout, apologetic members of the RCC. We love a healthy theological debate. I am a back-sliding genetic Methodist / Bible-thumper / non-denominational.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes.
Doctrinal Statement | Dallas Theological Seminary (DTS)

Most of Jesus' words in John 6 are a metaphor: "Bread of Life"
I read the Doctrinal Statement you posted from the Theological Seminary of Dallas.
That is NOT like the Catechism of the Catholic Church. That sounds more like what one has to believe to be considered a Christian --- and we don't even agree on THAT! Every church has their very own doctrinal statement. You know very well that there's no such book in Protestantism.

The Pope in the New Testament was the Bishop. In fact, the Pope is the Bishop of Rome, but the Catholics like to have ONE who is in authority over all.

We have this too. I'll name a few:
These are Pope's for the Protestants...
RC Sproul
John Piper
John Wesley
so many others... you get the idea.

You should stop fighting your family and just preach Jesus.
Everything else is secondary.

Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Most of my family are devout, apologetic members of the RCC. We love a healthy theological debate. I am a back-sliding genetic Methodist / Bible-thumper / non-denominational.
Nice. Most catholics don't even know their faith.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Some Protestant churches (mine, for example) have Catechisms. But none rival the Catholic Catechism for scope and detail.

No. The cults, so called, such as the Mormons, JWs, Christian Science, etc. are not classified as Protestant. Essentially, a Protestant church is one that accepts the historic faith with the Solas that the Reformation asserted. There are plenty of churches that are possibly Christian for accepting Jesus in some way or manner but are quite unique in their belief systems. It would be a mistake to label them as Protestant.

Of course there is no Pope in the Bible, but the Roman Catholic Church considers its presiding bishop to be above all others and to speak infallibly on faith and morals (under certain circumstances, that is). None of that is in the Bible.

Yes. Protestants consider the Bible to be the ultimate authority; Catholicism considers its Tradition (including the BIble) to be its supreme guide to doctrine.

Upvote 0