Rebooting Your Airbus (After All The Screens Go Dark)

Voegelin

Reactionary
Aug 18, 2003
Connecticut
✟26,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
AV Web
By Russ Niles
April 24, 2006

. . . pilots of Airbus A320-series airliners are getting new guidance on what to do if the screens on their electronically biased aircraft go blank . . .Britain's Air Accidents Investigation Branch released a report on an incident aboard a British Airways A319 . . .The incident brought to light five similar instances on Airbuses. In the October incident, the plane was over southern England when the crew heard an audible "clunk." Five of six screens went out, the intercom and radio failed, the autopilot and autothrottles disengaged and most of the cockpit lights went out . . .

http://www.avweb.com/newswire/12_17a/briefs/192079-1.html

SteelEdge

Sharper than Iron
Apr 15, 2006
✟15,337.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
euphoria said:
To think I've ridden in a couple of Airbusses. :sick:

I thought the wings were going to come off because a lot of rivets were loose. They are ill maintained.

Boeing it is for me too, from now on.

The phrase regarding "loose screws" comes to mind. :p

Seriously, it is the airlines that maintain aircraft, regardless of make or model.

Upvote 0

Voegelin

Reactionary
Aug 18, 2003
Connecticut
✟26,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
International Herald Tribune (April 25, 2006):
Airbus has been quietly pitching (a) standing-room-only option to Asian carriers, though none has agreed to it. yet. Passengers in the standing section would be propped against a padded backboard, held in place with a harness . . .

Makes it more exciting when the cockpit computer crashes.

Next up: Subway straps on on the ailerons, children only seating in the wheel wells and, to add still more seats, lavatories replaced by bedpans.

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Black_Ivy said:
While the Boeings on which I've flown were nicer than the Airbuses, I've never had any trouble trusting an Airbus. I thought they generally were safe planes to fly on...

They have to be generally safe or they wouldn't fly. Or at least I'd think so.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chalice_thunder

Senior Veteran
Jan 13, 2004
Seattle
Visit site
✟7,202.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
JPPT1974 said:
Why not Boeing?

Perhaps you misunderstood.

WE build Boeing planes.

We have pride in the work we do.

We build the best planes in the world.

Our motto says that, if it's not built here, it's inferior.

Upvote 0

wiggsfly

Walking the tightrope of life
Nov 20, 2005
✟4,140.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I still remember when the first A320's were rolled out. There was a crash during an airshow when the pilot was exuting a low pass and the autopilot decided it was landing. The autopilot won the argument and all about died.

In one of the Caravans my company flies we have a multi-function display unit by avidyne that is litterally a pentium 166 computer running on Windows NT 4. IT crashes a couple of times a week in the air and we get the "blue screen of death" and have to reboot.

Upvote 0

theeyesoftammyfaye

no parking baby - no parking on the dance floor
Nov 18, 2003
Austin, TX
Visit site
✟18,673.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
my favourite airplane to fly by far is the MD-80 series. i've always had a comfortable, safe, and quiet trip on every MD-80 i've flown.

widebodies still freak me out sometimes - rolling down the runway on a 747 you have to wonder how the thing can even get off the ground.

Upvote 0

Voegelin

Reactionary
Aug 18, 2003
Connecticut
✟26,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
OP April 25th: . . . pilots of Airbus A320-series airliners are getting new guidance on what to do if the screens on their electronically biased aircraft go blank . . .

Tue May 2, 2006 11:45 PM EDT:

MOSCOW (Reuters) - An Armenian airliner carrying 113 people crashed into the sea in heavy rain off Russia's southern coast on Wednesday, and rescue workers were retrieving bodies at the site, officials and local media said. . . the plane was an Airbus 320 . . ."The plane was in an ideal technical condition, the crew was well qualified," Andrei Aghajanov, deputy commercial director of the airline, told Reuters . . .continued

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Macano

Jun 16, 2005
Visit site
✟15,867.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I thought this pic was appropriate ;)