Marital Status
Married
Perhaps we should start here, even though this verse
is about non-believers who cannot “see” the Truth
of the gospel message:

“Satan, who is the god of this world, has
blinded the minds of those who don’t believe.”
(1 Corinthians 4:4)

Satan can also cause BACs to be “blind” in some areas! He is the greatest liar and deceiver in the history of the world:
“the Devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world” (Revelation 12:9)
“he is a master of deception and the father of lies!” (John 8:44)

Satan is able to blind some BACs (incl. pastors) from seeing various spiritual truths … OR … there wouldn’t be so many warnings about:
● being deceived
● habitual (unrepentant) sinning
● falling away from the faith
● being estranged from Christ
● falling from grace
● not inheriting the kingdom of God and Christ
● not being allowed into the New Jerusalem
● being blotted out of the Book of Life
● drawing back to perdition, etc.

Apparently, many BACs do NOT “see”
the dire warnings written in the NT.
Some BACs (incl. pastors) DO see them,
but refuse to accept them!

Now let’s look at BACs who REALLY ARE
“blind” to these warnings!

What can cause BACs to be spiritually blind
about God’s warnings?

HIDDEN WARNINGS ● In the epistles, warnings are “somewhat hidden” amongst everything else including edifications, encouragements, exhortations, etc. Compounding this, Paul usually wrote with extreme tact so he would still be welcome to visit the churches that he founded. Also, the Lord did not want these warnings to upset the babes in Christ.

ETERNAL SECURITY DOCTRINE ● This popular doctrine has obviously caused many believers to feel dangerously safe and secure. To others, this doctrine has an opposite effect: they have appreciated what God has done for them so much that their enormous love for Him has caused them to be willing to obey His commandments.

HYPER-GRACE DOCTRINE ● The popular doctrines of hyper-grace, grace-only, etc. teach that BACs have
NO responsibility or accountability for their salvation.
This is obviously false. One simple example of the
many “conditional” type of verses is: “IF you continue
to believe the gospel message I taught you,
you will be saved.” (1 Corinthians 15:1-2).

DECEIVED PASTORS ● Many pastors are deceived
into believing some of the false doctrines above. These shepherds are failing in their duty to warn their sheep concerning things which are vital to their spiritual well-being! The blood of the sheep who don’t make it
(who have NOT been properly warned about their responsibilities) will be on the hands of their pastors!
(No matter what the pastors’ reasons/excuses are.)

Last edited:

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Perhaps we should start here, even though this verse
is about … non-believers who cannot “see” the Truth
of the gospel message:

“Satan, who is the god of this world, has
blinded the minds of those who don’t believe.”
(1 Corinthians 4:4)

Satan can also cause BACs to be “blind” in some areas! He is the greatest liar and deceiver in the history of the world:
“the Devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world” (Revelation 12:9)
“he is a master of deception and the father of lies!” (John 8:44)

Satan is able to blind some BACs (incl. pastors) from seeing various spiritual truths … OR … there wouldn’t be so many warnings about:
● being deceived
● habitual (unrepentant) sinning
● falling from grace

Apparently, many BACs do NOT “see” the dire warnings written in the NT. Some BACs (incl. pastors) DO see them, but refuse to accept them!

But, let’s look at those BACs who REALLY ARE “blind” to them.

What can cause BACs to be spiritually blind about God’s warnings?

HIDDEN WARNINGS ● In the epistles, warnings are “somewhat hidden” amongst everything else including edifications, encouragements, exhortations, etc. Compounding this, Paul usually wrote with extreme tact so he would still be welcome to visit the churches that he founded. Also, the Lord did not want these warnings to upset the babes in Christ.

ETERNAL SECURITY DOCTRINE ● This popular doctrine has obviously caused many believers to feel dangerously safe and secure. To others, this doctrine has an opposite effect: they have appreciated what God has done for them so much that their enormous love for Him has caused them to be willing to obey His commandments, etc.

HYPER-GRACE DOCTRINE ● The popular doctrines of hyper-grace, grace-only, etc. teach that BACs have NO responsibility or accountability for their salvation. This is obviously false. One simple example of the many “conditional” type of verses is: “IF you continue to believe the gospel message I taught you, you will be saved.” (1 Corinthians 15:1-2).

DECEIVED PASTORS ● Many pastors are deceived into believing some of the false doctrines above. These shepherds are failing in their duty to warn their sheep concerning things which are vital to their spiritual well-being! The blood of the sheep who don’t make it (who have NOT been properly warned about their responsibilities) will be on the hands of their pastors! (No matter what the pastors’ reasons/excuses are.)
What's BAC?

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Before one sets out on a journey like this he/she should take a long hard look in a mirror. Walking on water and healing the blind would be a plus.
Matthew 7:1-5
(1) Judge not, that ye be not judged.
(2) For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.
(3) And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
(4) Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?
(5) Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.
Romans 14:4
(4) Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.

Upvote 0

BCsenior

Still an evangelist
Aug 31, 2017
British Columbia
✟72,426.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
...who gets to decide who's blind? :scratch:
tulc(is just curious) :wave:
If you read a verse which says you can lose
your salvation, and you do not "see" it as such
(for some reason or other, doesn't matter why)
... I can easily make the determination that
you are spiritually blind.

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you read a verse which says you can lose
your salvation, and you do not see it as such,
one will realize that you are spiritually blind.
So if another Scripture says nothing can separate you, you should just ignore it? Or do we try and weigh Scripture with Scripture and figure out what it all means? But say there's a tie between two Scriptures who gets to decide which Christian is "spiritually blind" and which one "can see"? :scratch:
tulc(has heard a lot of Christians called "spiritually blind" when really they just "see differently") :sorry:

Upvote 0

BCsenior

Still an evangelist
Aug 31, 2017
British Columbia
✟72,426.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
But say there's a tie between two Scriptures who gets to decide which Christian is "spiritually blind" and which one "can see"?
Try reconciling the 2 sets of verses with this ...
------------------------------------------------------------
This resolves the conflict amongst all of the NT verses
concerning eternal security, i.e. OSAS ... or NO OSAS:
True saving belief = enduring faith-trust-obedience
------------------------------------------------------------

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,892.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So if another Scripture says nothing can separate you, you should just ignore it?
You should read those very verses in full context, getting what each means in its full passage (and full book). Some instances: No power (no 3rd party) can take us forcibly from God's hand. His love to accept the repentant prodigal is reliable also.

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You should read those very verses in full context, getting what each means in its full passage (and full book). Some instances: No power (no 3rd party) can take us forcibly from God's hand. His love to accept the repentant prodigal is reliable also.
That's kind of what I thought we should do...but what happens when (as I'm sure we can all agree it will happen) two people do the above and come to different beliefs? Because I see room for disagreement in most of the things in the OP, what I don't see is which particular group of people gets to decide who's "spiritually blind" and which isn't. It's even possible that neither group would be "blind" they could just be...different See my point? :scratch:
tulc(is uncomfortable with the idea of people getting to decide who's blind and who isn't) :cool:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BCsenior

Still an evangelist
Aug 31, 2017
British Columbia
✟72,426.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
No power (no 3rd party) can take us forcibly from God's hand.
Jesus promised to not cast out
those whom the Father gives Him.
But, those whom the Father gives Him
can cast themselves out ...
via their free will, disobedience, etc.

Upvote 0

MDC

Jan 19, 2017
Texas
✟59,701.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Jesus promised to not cast out
those whom the Father gives Him.
But, those whom the Father gives Him
can cast themselves out ...
via their free will, disobedience, etc.
The first part of your statement is true along with “And this is the Fathers will which hath sent me, that of all which He hath given me I should LOSE NOTHING.. John 6:39. The second part of your statement is false which brings you into conflict with scripture

Upvote 0

BCsenior

Still an evangelist
Aug 31, 2017
British Columbia
✟72,426.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
The first part of your statement is true along with “And this is the Fathers will which hath sent me, that of all which He hath given me I should LOSE NOTHING.. John 6:39. The second part of your statement is false which brings you into conflict with scripture
Would you care to prove your statement?
Because the epistles are filled with verses,
which clearly warn about believers ...
● falling from grace

Now, if you wish (because you do have free will),
you can claim that the Lord is exaggerating, bluffing, lying even.

• Agree
Reactions: Sam91
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MDC

Jan 19, 2017
Texas
✟59,701.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Would you care to prove your statement?
Because the epistles are filled with verses,
which clearly warn about believers ...
● falling from grace

Now, if you wish (because you do have free will),
you can claim that the Lord is exaggerating, bluffing, lying even.
You are insinuating that from what you mentioned above that Christ loses some of the elect. Therefore saying Gods lying about His promise in losing nothing according to vs 39. Are you not? Regardless of how they are lost according to you, nevertheless they are lost. Do you believe there are false professors among the body of Christ? Tares among the wheat? Are you not weighing scripture with scripture and taking this into account? God preserves the elect. Saving faith perseveres to the end in grace. Philippians 1:6. Ephesians 1:4. If salvation is by the merciful grace of God completely conditioned in Christ and His redeeming work, then believers, who have been born anew spiritually, can never be lost nor completely fall away as vs 39 states. If they could, then salvation is conditioned in mans works and merited in some way. Therefore nullifying the gospel altogether

Reactions: Calvin_1985
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,892.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's kind of what I thought we should do...but what happens when (as I'm sure we can all agree it will happen) two people do the above and come to different beliefs? Because I see room for disagreement in most of the things in the OP, what I don't see is which particular group of people gets to decide who's "spiritually blind" and which isn't. It's even possible that neither group would be "blind" they could just be...different See my point? :scratch:
tulc(is uncomfortable with the idea of people getting to decide who's blind and who isn't) :cool:

Kinda rushed for time atm, but it seems to me He (Christ) says we are blind except when we are listening to Him, following Him, keeping His words. So, that's for all of us. When I wake up, I'm blind until the moment I rely on Christ's words.

This can be kinda sharply clear at times -- this morning a problem about some others' relationships (people I know personally) was weighing on me as I woke up, and it seemed there was no good solution, and I felt kinda lost on what to even say or think about it. And it was....entirely changed after I prayed the prayer Christ gave us in Matthew 6 -- after that prayer, in which I did not pray about them, but I did pray "I don't know what to do", and then I prayed the Lord's prayer. And after, I knew what to do. I was in the dark, and then the light came. See? It's all of us -- we are all the blind in the moments when we aren't relying on Christ. Or instead of my explanation, we could just reread that passage He said about it (I will be doing so)... gotta go for now.

Reactions: Sam91
Upvote 0

_Dave_

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2019
Arizona
✟144,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think spiritual blindness, per se, is in effect during most of the doctrinal differences that we experience.

The disagreement about how to interpret Scripture is not a factor of blindness, but a factor of how one CHOOSES to interpret God's Word.

Technically, it's called hermeneutics, the theory, or science, of interpretation.

Hermeneutic style resides on a line stretching from interpreting everything as purely allegorical to interpreting everything as purely literal ... and shades of interpretations inbetween. Where someone resides on the line will determine how he or she interprets Scripture, especially the controversial or difficult passages. And it is fairly predictable how someone will interpret any other Scripture once one knows where he or she is on the line.

Having said that, and answering the OP, there are those who are so far to the right or left that they are not even on the hermeneutic line at all. No amount of explanation by those who rightly divide the word of God can make them bring their interpretation into focus and back to somewhere on the line of acceptable interpretation. These, I believe, truly are spiritually blind to any truth that is offered them.

I will point out that good hermeneutics is definable. There is the correct place for one to be on the hermeneutic line that leads to rightly dividing God's word.

God says what He means, and means what He says. There is only ONE correct meaning to every single verse in Scripture. If we don't understand a difficult passage, or something seems contradictory to us, it's not because there might be more than one interpretation, or because God has placed contradictions in His word. It's because we haven't been diligent in applying the correct hermeneutic to interpret that passage.

That's why some who are not using good hermeneutics seem to get everything wrong. Some are off by just a hair, others are off by 180 degrees, depending on what their hermeneutic style is.

And bad hermeneutics has a cascading effect. Misinterpreting an important verse and making a false doctrine out of it then leads to further misinterpretations and false doctrines throughout Scripture.

I hope this helps.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What would have happened had the wayward son not decided to return? The father considered him dead. I knew a Messianic Jew about 4 decades ago, when his parents sat Shiva for him, decided to return to orthodox Judaism.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,281.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Do you believe there are false professors among the body of Christ? Tares among the wheat
Well someone within, turned the church from the Kingdom and rejoined the world of man when church re-aligned with State. They certainly could not teach the opposing Gospel of the Kingdom once having done that.

Therefore nullifying the gospel altogether

Ironic that the gospel that nullified the Gospel of the Kingdom, gets nullified.

Upvote 0