Reason #1: the ever-changing church – Why I have converted to the Eastern Orthodox Church

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,455,706.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I keep hearing the claim the we worship our icons, this is an extreme falsity. The simplest question I can give you would be this who is in that icon? If you can answer that question that pretty much somes it up.

yeah you will hear that. however, if you want something that has helped me when dealing with this, is no offering or sacrifice is made to the icon. those are only made to God, which makes it not worship of an icon.

• Informative
Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0

Barney2.0

Supporter
Dec 1, 2017
Los Angeles
✟451,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes, imagery doesn't necessarily mean worship since we don't sacrifice lambs and goats to the icon of Jesus or bow down to it like for say how a Hindu bows down to a statue of Krishna or how a Bhuddist makes burn offering infront of the statue or icon of Bhudda or how a Muslim kisses the black stone there is a huge difference.

Upvote 0

archer75

Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟253,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yes, imagery doesn't necessarily mean worship since we don't sacrifice lambs and goats to the icon of Jesus or bow down to it like for say how a Hindu bows down to a statue of Krishna or how a Bhuddist makes burn offering infront of the statue or icon of Bhudda or how a Muslim kisses the black stone there is a huge difference.
The only further question to handle then might be why we light candles in front of them - could look like an offering.

• Agree
Reactions: ArmyMatt
Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟631,633.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
The only further question to handle then might be why we light candles in front of them - could look like an offering.
It makes the eyes flicker and look alive.
;)

• Haha
Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,455,706.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

that's where you stick to how we define worship, and not them.

Upvote 0

archer75

Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟253,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
that's where you stick to how we define worship, and not them.
The issue with Buddhism then is that (many) can reply: "this isn't a matter of worship, it shows respect for his teaching, Buddha was only a man and he died a long time ago."

That is it just seems helpful to avoid misconceptions and myths about other religions when banishing them about our own...otherwise we can end up looking very hypocritical, which doesn't represent Orthodoxy very well, imo.

• Agree
Reactions: ArmyMatt
Upvote 0

Barney2.0

Supporter
Dec 1, 2017
Los Angeles
✟451,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The issue with Buddhism then is that (many) can reply: "this isn't a matter of worship, it shows respect for his teaching, Buddha was only a man and he died a long time ago."

That is it just seems helpful to avoid misconceptions and myths about other religions when banishing them about our own...otherwise we can end up looking very hypocritical, which doesn't represent Orthodoxy very well, imo.

Despite popular notion many Bhuddists do actually get into worship of Bhudda either intentionally or unintentionally. When you start to offer sacrifices it not showing honor anymore it's worship.

Upvote 0

archer75

Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟253,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Despite popular notion many Bhuddists do actually get into worship of Bhudda either intentionally or unintentionally. When you start to offer sacrifices it not showing honor anymore it's worship.
Well, no need to argue about it here...maybe some Orthodox get into worship unintentionally, right? My point is that showing the kind of attention to their explanations that you'd want shown to yours is not a bad idea.

Upvote 0

Barney2.0

Supporter
Dec 1, 2017
Los Angeles
✟451,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Sure there are many Orthodox and Catholic Christians which end up worshiping idols and icons of Mary and Jesus unintentionally that's the job of the Church to correct their mistakes. Yes it's not a bad idea and by the way how can I view the threads that I've posted.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

archer75

Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟253,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Sure there are many Orthodox and Catholic Christians which end up worshiping idols and icons of Mary and Jesus unintentionally that's the job of the Church to correct their mistakes. Yes it's not a bad idea and by the way how can I view the threads that I've posted.
Look around inside your profile?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,455,706.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

yep. this for us is not a matter of worship, since worship is centered at the Eucharist, which is only offered to God.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Click profile page, then from there select the postings tab.

Go to the bottom of the posts and there should be an option to find all threads by membername.

Upvote 0

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟73,913.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Orthodoxy has changed over the years. The Creed was updated in the 4th century. A lot of the vestments are from the middle ages, though they have Roman origins. The hymnogarphy is also mainly from the middle ages. The energy-essence distinction, though Biblical and in the cappodocian fathers, really was not fleshed out until the 14th century. Granted, Orthodoxy has preserved more of the ancient practices than anyone, but there has been change due to time and culture.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Dewi Sant

May 21, 2015
UK
✟61,094.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
I know right?

We don't all speak Greek anymore, nor do we have the Roman empire.
Some of us dress in polyester from the factories, and cotton from America.
There is music which made additions to harmony and artistic interest.

Even humans have grown taller and have greater degree of national literacy than previous times.

In short, Orthodoxy is not a religion, it is not simply a bunch of rules to be followed.
Orthodoxy is the Life of Christ in the world.
It is alive, it is the definition of life, as those who die faithful enter not to death, but eternal LIFE.

:)

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,455,706.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Orthodoxy has changed over the years. The Creed was updated in the 4th century. A lot of the vestments are from the middle ages, though they have Roman origins. The hymnogarphy is also mainly from the middle ages. The energy-essence distinction, though Biblical and in the cappodocian fathers, really was not fleshed out until the 14th century. Granted, Orthodoxy has preserved more of the ancient practices than anyone, but there has been change due to time and culture.

yes, practice updates and the Church always is clarifying her doctrine, but only in Orthodoxy is the doctrine itself unchanging.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
And we have changed the Litany too ... even recently. We pray "for those who travel by land, sea, and air ... !"

But there is a very great deal that hasn't changed as well. And all is built upon the foundations established by the Holy Apostles.

I think it's important to understand both the changeableness, and unchangeableness.

Ironically, I find we are sometimes criticized by non-Orthodox for being too rigid on things that are sometimes those very things - like adaptations to local ethnic cultures - that we do embrace as necessary and good change. Anyway ... that's a small issue overall. :)

But I do think it is important to acknowledge what has and can change - vs. what must be faithfully held.

ETA: Said so much better by ArmyMatt while I was typing, lol.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,455,706.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
And we have changed the Litany too ... even recently. We pray "for those who travel by land, sea, and air ... !"

But there is a very great deal that hasn't changed as well. And all is built upon the foundations established by the Holy Apostles.

I think it's important to understand both the changeableness, and unchangeableness.

Ironically, I find we are sometimes criticized by non-Orthodox for being too rigid on things that are sometimes those very things - like adaptations to local ethnic cultures - that we do embrace as necessary and good change. Anyway ... that's a small issue overall. :)

But I do think it is important to acknowledge what has and can change - vs. what must be faithfully held.

ETA: Said so much better by ArmyMatt while I was typing, lol.

no, that was fine, haha. plus we pray for a President too

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

Glaucus

The Lay Monk
Nov 25, 2017
The Water
✟45,885.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Saying that icons are bad because some people might unintentionally worship them, is like saying food is bad because some people might unintentionally become addicted to it and become gluttonous.

Icons are good because they represent the person of whoever is depicted, and food is good because it nourishes the body, as icons help to nourish the soul; despite that some people may abuse God's gifts.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,455,706.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Saying that icons are bad because some people might unintentionally worship them, is like saying food is bad because some people might unintentionally become addicted to it and become gluttonous.

Icons are good because they represent the person of whoever is depicted, and food is good because it nourishes the body, as icons help to nourish the soul; despite that some people may abuse God's gifts.

yep, they are the Gospel in color, and edify the sense of sight.

Upvote 0

ZaidaBoBaida

When do I stop being a Newbie?
Jul 17, 2012
Right Here
✟50,680.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
When Hubman and I were courting and for the first few months of our marriage - he lived in PA and I lived in VA. We talked every night that we weren't together by Skype. Every single time - I had a picture of him open on my computer. I wasn't talking to the picture. I was talking to Hubman, but having the picture there helped me feel just a little bit closer to him.

Upvote 0