Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Ask your priest.

My priest told me that people around the world are saying evening prayers when we are saying morning prayers. So, I guess if you are working the night shift and must soon retire to sleep at dawn that the morning prayers would not be appropriate, but the night prayers preparing one for sleep would be more reasonable in those dawn hours.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,456,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What do people who work nightshifts do about morning and evening prayers?
Cuz at least the ones I have are very tied in to their relation to sleep...

in my opinion, I don't think God cares when you do them, just that you do them. sorta like what do people who live way up North where they have 24 hours of daylight do.

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟432,591.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
And there's nothing wrong with switching the words "night" and "day" in the prayers, where appropriate. The prayer should be applicable to you and your situation - you should make the prayer "yours" in that sense.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
And there's nothing wrong with switching the words "night" and "day" in the prayers, where appropriate. The prayer should be applicable to you and your situation - you should make the prayer "yours" in that sense.

Switching = change

Is Outrage.

What is this word "switching"? :p

:D

Upvote 0

ikonographics

In patience I waited patiently on the Lord
Apr 27, 2008
Greece
Visit site
✟27,987.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It's like how nonsensical some hymns sound when you live in the Southern hemisphere... soon we will be singing about how the "lenten spring has come" when in the Southern hemisphere it's autumn!
A few years ago someone discovered an old Holy Week service book in the choir's cupboard (here in Athens) that had a note written on the first page, "Holy Week - autumn 1973". Everyone was bemused and wondered how Pascha could have been in autumn that year, until I explained to them that Pascha is in autumn every year, and that person had obviously celebrated it in South Africa or Australia that year!

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It's like how nonsensical some hymns sound when you live in the Southern hemisphere... soon we will be singing about how the "lenten spring has come" when in the Southern hemisphere it's autumn!
A few years ago someone discovered an old Holy Week service book in the choir's cupboard (here in Athens) that had a note written on the first page, "Holy Week - autumn 1973". Everyone was bemused and wondered how Pascha could have been in autumn that year, until I explained to them that Pascha is in autumn every year, and that person had obviously celebrated it in South Africa or Australia that year!

:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

-Kyriaki-

seeking answers in stillness
Sep 30, 2002
South Australia
Visit site
✟15,627.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
On the "Pascha in Autumn" thing - pity us, Forgiveness Vespers is often 40*C+ (it's at the end of summer) and we have a packed church of people in head to toe black. Not fun. Holy Week can be like that too, because Autumn can be quite warm. Ick. Last year I alternately melted and froze depending on what the fickle weather decided to do on any given day!

Upvote 0

katherine2001

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Billings, MT
Visit site
✟11,346.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Here in Montana, we always have to bundle up for the midnight procession on Pascha. It might be 40 degrees F. during the day time, but at night it will be cold! I made the mistake of just wearing my sweater outside during the procession and was about frozen when we went back inside the church.

Upvote 0

-Kyriaki-

seeking answers in stillness
Sep 30, 2002
South Australia
Visit site
✟15,627.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I bundled up for ours - pretty pascha clothes with a thick warm coat over it all!

Holy Week was weird because I wore about six layers and I'd shed most of them in Church, then have to put them all on again the minute I went outside. Andrew's family is strict with the 'head to toe black for Church, and dark clothes outside Church' thing for Holy Week, so I was wearing every piece of black clothing I own :p

Upvote 0