Really? No threads about the Gillette ad yet?

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟361,517.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I'm pretty shocked that this hasn't made it onto here yet.

I liked it. The only part that feels a bit "iffy" to me is that I cannot really decipher why those two boys are fighting at the bbq. If it is just horseplay and rough housing, I'm cool with that. If it is using violence to solve a conflict, I very much have a problem with that.

Otherwise, 100% agreement for me.

I'm surprised at how difficult it has been for some men to take a moment and reflect on how they treat women. More than a few just seem to be all up in arms about an advert that suggests grabbing womens' butts or speaking condescendingly towards them is not some inaliienable right.

I've been on this forum long enough to know there will be some opinions on it so...let's here it!

“Paisios”

Sinner
Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

I liked it. The only part that feels a bit "iffy" to me is that I cannot really decipher why those two boys are fighting at the bbq. If it is just horseplay and rough housing, I'm cool with that. If it is using violence to solve a conflict, I very much have a problem with that.

I'm surprised at how difficult it has been for some men to take a moment and reflect on how they treat women. More than a few just seem to be all up in arms about an advert that suggests grabbing womens' butts or speaking condescendingly towards them is not some inaliienable right.

I've been on this forum long enough to know there will be some opinions on it so...let's here it!
I am assuming there is some controversy or something about this ad, given your thread title about “no threads yet”, but I confess I haven’t heard anything about it, and as I am not familiar with the background on it, can’t really comment. Watching it above, it seems like nothing terribly shocking to me, though.

(But there seems little mention of shaving products for an ad from Gillette)

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

There is a thread on the commercial in the Christians Only Current News & Events forum.

I'll repost what I posted in the other thread.

I'm glad men are being portrayed as being nurturing and sensitve. It seems to me that this Gillette commercial is successfully combating patriarchal sexism and male chauvinism. I think that's good.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟361,517.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
its an advertisement, you are spreading its evil, just my opinion...
I'll admit I'm intrigued.
For what it's worth, I don't (and will not buy) Gillette products because of the market niche (disposable plastic products and ridiculous prices).

But I'm curious: Is the tremendously huge backlash by men "evil" or righteous?

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟931,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'll admit I'm intrigued.
For what it's worth, I don't (and will not buy) Gillette products because of the market niche (disposable plastic products and ridiculous prices).

But I'm curious: Is the tremendously huge backlash by men "evil" or righteous?

Men don't like to be told what and what not to do ...

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟931,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So you're saying men can't be Christians?

Or are you saying men just don't like being Christians?

Men are a curious lot.

Jesus said that men's hearts were desperately wicked.

But men will follow One whom they find worthy of their allegiance.

So then, I guess, ... men can be christians ... and like it ...

(Interestingly, one of Jesus' many charms is that He only did what the Father told Him to do ...)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟361,517.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Men don't like to be told what and what not to do ...
So don't grab girls' butts and don't bully, is too difficult for some men to hear?

We run in different circles...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

A_Thinker

Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟931,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So don't grab girls' butts and don't bully, is too difficult for some men to hear?

We run in different circles...

You're in heaven, then ... ???

John 3

19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.

20 For every one that does evil hates the light, neither comes to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟361,517.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens

John 3

19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.

20 For every one that does evil hates the light, neither comes to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.
Nope. I'm on earth where apparently it is unacceptable to suggest men shouldn't assault women.
To be clear: There will ALWAYS be men who will do this garbage.

My issue is this: Let's talk about it and embarrass that loutish behaviour so they recognize it isn't wanted.
Are you suggesting this issue should not be discussed?

Did you want to be a bit less cryptic in your answers though?

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟931,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nope. I'm on earth where apparently it is unacceptable to suggest men shouldn't assault women.
To be clear: There will ALWAYS be men who will do this garbage.

My issue is this: Let's talk about it and embarrass that loutish behaviour so they recognize it isn't wanted.
Are you suggesting this issue should not be discussed?

Did you want to be a bit less cryptic in your answers though?

Did I suggest that the issue shouldn't be discussed ?

During the entirety of the time of the recent MeToo conversations, it has become clear that (some) men don't care about respecting the rights of others (especially if they are women). They seem to only care about getting what they want.

I have to admit to being a bit appalled.

But then my experience is that even good men can resent correction, and evil men will have none of it.

These realizations sparked affirmation of the scriptures in me just now.

It all seems to be quite as its been previously told ...

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟870,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

John 3

Non sequitur.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟361,517.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
But then my experience is that even good men can resent correction, and evil men will have none of it.

These realizations sparked affirmation of the scriptures in me just now.

It all seems to be quite as its been previously told ...
That's just pride. I know many men; dare I say most men I know (like way way way most...) appreciate correction so long as its communicated respectfully and with good intent.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟931,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's just pride. I know many men; dare I say most men I know (like way way way most...) appreciate correction so long as its communicated respectfully and with good intent.
So then, you disagree.with Jesus .... ???

I'm just curious ....

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Some have already been whining about it in another thread. I said there and will repeat: the only ones who have a problem with this ad are either entitled and thin-skinned or have #MeToo demons of their own.
Ringo

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
The reason this is getting so much in the way of negative reaction is because many of the buzzwords tossed around in the ad have been given rather negative meanings and connotations due to the so-called "culture war". As such, the ad comes off as Gillette dissing all forms of masculinity that aren't kosher with today's progressive crowd.

Hence people throwing out their Gillette products and looking for other alternatives.

It's even become a meme for people to post messages on Twitter telling Gillette that they're switching to another brand - usually Dollar Shave Club - and posting a macho gif or other image.

As for me, Schick works just fine.

Upvote 0