Really need advice about my 18yo daughter: approaching faith issues, church attendance, etc.

AnneFaye

Jul 21, 2021
Kingwood
✟10,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
As @angelsaroundme has said, she may be going through a time of exploration and questioning that just needs to take its course. But insofar as her natural sleep schedule may be an issue: Does your church offer worship at any evening times? The Lutheran church near me, for example, offered Saturday evening services in pre-pandemic years. That might be an attractive possibility for her.

That's a good question, now that summer is coming to an end they might be doing a youth night again. She really raved about the other teens she met - how warm and friendly they are, how they didn't make her feel awkward, how fun it was talking to them, etc. (and that's so important, I remember how awkward I felt when I was her age, and I empathize). Thanks for the idea! :)

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

AnneFaye

Jul 21, 2021
Kingwood
✟10,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Edit the post and see if you're missing an end
or have an extra one. Make sure the end tags aren't italicized.

Before I respond, I want to make two things clear for your edification. I take no credit for my insight. This is God's doing. I don't post in this area. I'm not a Lutheran. But I saw your OP and felt compelled to respond. We're His hands and feet. If anything I've said blessed you I'm pleased. To God be the glory. :)

That's what stood out the first time I read it. I didn't mention it because of the other comment. That had to come first. It wasn't about you per se, but your love of the faith.

Thank you. I was saying it aloud as I wrote it. It's a mother's prayer. I felt it too.

If it would disappoint you she might keep it to herself. That doesn't mean she's lacking interest in God. But she may be concerned if her connection to Lutheranism differs. She's the odd one out.

I'd handle it subtly when you're all together so every one hears. Give thanks that your children love the Lord. Whether they're Lutherans or walk another path. You're pleased because they're in His hands. No one will carry the expectation it must be so. And it may bring her peace.

This is period when you're discovering yourself. You've had a lot of influences. Some good and bad. You're old enough to scrutinize them objectively. That's when it begins. It's wonderful. She'll tune into His frequency.

This is a wonderful testament to God's faithfulness. Look at the baptismal record in light of today. He's right beside you.

May Adonai bless and keep you.
May He make His face shine upon you and give you His favor.
May Adonai lift up His face toward you and give you peace.

~bella[/QUOTE]

I'm so glad you felt compelled to respond to my post! Your kindness and forthright wisdom inspired by God deeply touched me and moved me to see things from angles I hadn't yet considered, and have spurred me to praying in a wholly new light in regard to all of this. Thank you and God bless you!

Upvote 0

AnneFaye

Jul 21, 2021
Kingwood
✟10,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Being a Christian ... and coming from the p.o.v. of the spiritual aspect of living in the world but not aligned to it, having cast off the yokes of slavery , then your example in everything you say and do will speak more to her about her future than natural words could ever accomplish. My kids hated Christianity because of what affect they saw it as angry for the most part. I’m sure that was me rubbing off on them. I know they are all saved because of what they have said abut their experiences but no way would they go into a church. That’s probably the other side of the pendulum, but they now are very involved in counselling and cognitive activities as adults. You can only trust her heart to God and leave it there. If it’s your nature to say are you coming to church with us a 1/2 hr before leaving then she’ll just have to listen to that.

"Trusting her heart to God and leaving it there," now that is wisdom. Thank you.

Upvote 0

AnneFaye

Jul 21, 2021
Kingwood
✟10,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
For conversation with her perhaps find the wordage or jargon that she uses for similar subjects. Councillors use buzz words to connect often and bring a common ground for discussion. In listening you may find that she brings up topics that you would explain differently. You may be surprised at how much you can speak with her about God that is in her consciousness as well to speak about. Find the heart language and allow the fruits of the Spirit to work ...

Very good advice! We gab together for hours about, well, everything, every day! I guess I have a sore spot about "talking church" (I mean my fear of making her feel pressured) that takes away the natural language we typically mutually share. Good food for thought, thank you! :)

Upvote 0

AnneFaye

Jul 21, 2021
Kingwood
✟10,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
For people who agree to obey Jesus, my opinion is we all are accountable to one another. But we do this how this honors Jesus > as unto the Lord Jesus.

So, no we do not nose around and impose ourselves, but >

"submitting to one another in the fear of God." (Ephesians 5:21)

"nor as being lords over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock." (1 Peter 5:3)

So, if she is not interested in being communicative and submissive and accountable with you . . . well, we don't know why, I would say. How does she feel about God and the Bible? How does she feel specifically about the church where you are? How does she feel about you and your husband?

I have been through suffering in doubt about myself and God and where I would spend eternity. And I could be ashamed, even afraid and too hurt to talk with people I felt were kind and trustworthy people. I think I remember times when I would meet people I thought could be genuinely Christian people, and I could see I had not been treating people like they treated me with compassion. I could even tell they knew I was in trouble, and they simply were kind with me and I am sure prayed for me.

So, she could be troubled, and that could be very scary, not helping her to know what to do, to say the least. If she would, she needs to speak for herself about what's really going on with her, except she might not understand.

So, you have done what you could, while bringing her up. Now you have the adventure of going on and discovering how you develop. If you trust Jesus and get more and more correction and maturing with God, then you could look back and consider how you did things with her to be out-of-date :)

Because with God, we always keep growing and maturing to more and better . . . no matter what is going on around us, and no matter how we get older.

So, you are concerned about how you are relating with her. But how have you and your husband seen Christian relating? I mean how have you been feeding on what God's word says for you two to relate with one another and anyone else?

I mean things like Ephesians 5:21 which I personally understand to mean God wants mutual submission . . . of ones capable of this. And I think Jesus means for us to be accountable to one another . . . making sure this is mutual and prayerful. Do you agree with this, and have you shown this to your daughter? What example have you developed with your husband and shown your daughter, to help her prepare for Christian marriage?

And there is,

"Do all things without complaining and disputing,"
(Philippians 2:14)

I see this now to mean that arguing and complaining can be forbidden . . . the same as adultery and stealing. I mean, there is arguing and complaining which God considers to be anti-love . . . not faithful to Jesus. And as we get sensitive and strong and prayerful enough to not give in to the wrong ways of arguing and complaining, we become strong in God's way of loving as His family > including >

"with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love," (Ephesians 4:2)

Note, though, that "longsuffering" is needed . . . indeed :) I see how our Father knows that as we relate closely as His family, we will discover things about each other, even about our mentors and honored and admired role models and most special friends; and then is when we will need that "longsuffering" ready so we do not just trash good friends and give up on Jesus Christ's people whom we are really getting to know.

"Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice. And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you." (Ephesians 4:31-32)

Has her church schooling taught her about scriptures like this?

Before, perhaps, you parents get into attending on Sunday, may be you need to talk about and pray about how to be in church attendance during the week, by being God's church at home. So, therefore, I ask how have you two been relating and feeding this to her?

God bless us together to share honestly and honorably here.

And, like I offer, while you were bringing her up, you were not likely super-mature Christians, then. And now, then, some amount of how you used to train her could/should be seen as out-of-date.

And this is why we need our senior mature Christian couples to feed us their example and wisdom . . . to us and our children and other younger ones in Jesus. Even a young seminary prepared pastor is no substitute for a mature senior couple or senior mature single person in the Lord.

And I do not mean grandmas and grandaddies who are so smily-faced and can talk smart. I mean ones who have proven themselves in how they help younger couples to learn how to do in their marriages and bringing up their children, and they also help youths to get real correction and maturity and strength in Jesus. People feed off of their example >

"nor as being lords over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock." (1 Peter 5:3)

Younger ministers might be good speakers and can make things happen, in church administration and even in interventions, but mature seniors can minister example of how to be and love like Jesus, and how to relate in marriage and other intimate sharing. But God does use His younger people, but ones need to not neglect how God does keep using His mature seniors.

And your husband, during all this . . . has been saying . . . what? I offer that God gave you your husband; so pray attentively about whatsoever he says. B-u-u-u-t >

"Test all things; hold fast what is good." (1 Thessalonians 5:21)

So, yes, then, also > do test and evaluate about yourself. But please be encouraged that whatever God has for you, He will encourage you - - even when He says what means need for major correction. One thing is that whatsoever He has you see you need . . . He is the One to do this with you . . . guaranteed to succeed, then, since it will be about all He is able to do. Trust Him, then, to make you honest and obedient so you can so benefit.

Any scripture can be used by God to help you with this. I have offered only a few :) maybe ones more direct.

Have you read and fed through what happened to Joseph? Genesis 37-50

And how about 1 Samuel 30? how David handled a horrible situation, even bringing things to where people with him would relate as family while taking care of things.

And we see how Abigail stood up to David when he was so wrong, and he so benefited from her > 1 Samuel 25.

As much as God blesses, I would say share with your husband in various scriptures, and apply them to you two being perfected in Jesus plus applying God's word to how you can be ready to help your daughter. Be encouraged that God is able to make you two more mature, so you are more ready to be good for her. And as you grow in Jesus together, God will have you helping various people. It may be your daughter will discover others who help her; but you can adopt whomever comes your way :)

Well-l-l-l-l . . . we all are growing in more than just knowing, right? And things can get out-of-date as being what was not so objective, after all.

"'Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.'" (in Matthew 11:28-30)

You have given me so much food for thought, and the questions you asked throughout are deeply thought provoking and worthy of my time and prayer, along with my husband of course! He and I share about all of this with each other, it's just I'm the "go chat on a forum" type while he is not lol.

I've taken all the advice and pertinent Scripture I've gotten, copied and pasted it into a document to read, share and pray about with my husband. So many thoughtful angles, questions and Scriptures to study and pray over - thank you from the bottom of my heart!

What a treasure I've found here, thank you all so much for sharing your POV and giving your feedback in response to my struggles. God bless you all.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟312,889.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Very good advice! We gab together for hours about, well, everything, every day! I guess I have a sore spot about "talking church" (I mean my fear of making her feel pressured) that takes away the natural language we typically mutually share. Good food for thought, thank you! :)
Without a motive freedom is born. more fft :)

• Friendly
Reactions: AnneFaye
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,361.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Love "hopes all things" (in 1 Corinthians 13:7).

And hi to your husband . . . nice to meet you :)

"casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you." (1 Peter 5:7)

Actually, everything we go through is impossible. We need to trust God with all.

"Rest in the LORD, and wait patiently for Him;" (in Psalm 37:7)

So, concerning this which you have told us about, we need to do what you need to do :) We need to trust God to guide us, while we submit to Him all the time and discover all which He desires to do with us . . . to share with us.

• Agree
Reactions: AnneFaye
Upvote 0

AnneFaye

Jul 21, 2021
Kingwood
✟10,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
UPDATE if anyone happens upon this thread and is interested. Out of the blue, a couple of nights ago my daughter texted me at 2am (she knows I silence my phone when I go to sleep, so I woke up to it) and said she would like to start going to church with us as a family! I responded that I was delighted, but added that even so - I never want her to feel "obligated" or pressured. :)

I cannot emphasize enough that I have not pressured her at all, I just say about once a week "If you'd like to ever join us we'd love that." And that's IT. Then I came here to this forum asking about it bc it's just been so on my heart lately - but I didn't say a word of this to her.

So that 2am text right smack dab in the middle of all this - just, well, it blew my mind.

She's been sending me inspirational faith-based things out of the blue as well. I mean I already knew she believed in God, I just never pried because she's very private and I didn't want to make her feel any certain way, if that makes sense.

In any case - I just find it really amazing that she just out of the blue, at 2am no less, decided to tell me she wants to start going to church with us! (Amazing = God manages to surprise me every day of my life lol).

Thank you X a million to all of you who took the time to post such thought-provoking, caring and helpful responses. It meant the world to me and helped me get some much-needed perspective during a time I was really struggling and way too stressed out about it. :)

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is precisely my question: do my "personal desires" align with God's will regarding my role as her mother, and my husband's role as her father? My personal desires are irrelevant here, I'm well aware of that - it's much easier for me to just let it be. But is that shirking my duty? I want to know what is scripturally sound.
God promises to give us the desires of our hearts.....so how can you say our personal desires dont matter?

You are explaining how you desire things to be, what you believe a parent should do concerning their older children etc... It is all about your desires.

I see little here that would have any significant on your Child's Salvation.......but it would help your perception of your child's Salvation( again a desire of yours).

And I find no fault in it.

If you are concerned with whether or not God can reach a child that is not attending service every Sunday.....I say be not concerned, His reach is longer than we think.....and He require less of our help than we may think.

If you have a personal desire to see your children in a church with you.....I say go for it....there is no problem with that. We desire our overweight children to come to the gym with us and continue to ask until they finally come....why hold back on church? We send children to school no matter how much they hate it and think it is boring.....so why not church?

At the end of the day, you have to make a decision on what you desire....and then go for it.

Upvote 0

AnneFaye

Jul 21, 2021
Kingwood
✟10,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
God promises to give us the desires of our hearts.....so how can you say our personal desires dont matter?

You are explaining how you desire things to be, what you believe a parent should do concerning their older children etc... It is all about your desires.

I see little here that would have any significant on your Child's Salvation.......but it would help your perception of your child's Salvation( again a desire of yours).

And I find no fault in it.

If you are concerned with whether or not God can reach a child that is not attending service every Sunday.....I say be not concerned, His reach is longer than we think.....and He require less of our help than we may think.

If you have a personal desire to see your children in a church with you.....I say go for it....there is no problem with that. We desire our overweight children to come to the gym with us and continue to ask until they finally come....why hold back on church? We send children to school no matter how much they hate it and think it is boring.....so why not church?

At the end of the day, you have to make a decision on what you desire....and then go for it.

Thank you for such a well thought out reply, lots of good food for thought!

I posted an update a bit earlier - out of the blue with absolutely no prompting from me (or her dad) my daughter texted me saying she wants to start coming to church with us! I have said about once a week "we'd love for you to join us but no pressure" for quite awhile but I always emphasize the no pressure.

So in the midst of what brought me to these forums, and lots of prayer on what to do - I get that text from her! God continually surprises me. He doesn't always answer prayer the way we want, or when we want. But geez, this was pretty spectacular lol.

Anyway, whether it will "stick" or not I do not know, and I will not fret over it. I will return to read your advice and others' advice in this thread if so, I've gotten an abundance of excellent advice.

Thank you so much again. :)

• Friendly
Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums