Real Curious about Paintings

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
kind of you to ask.. Neither have felt good enough in the graphic arts to present to the public, but DH has written and published several books, fiction a d non-fiction. You can find them here

b'Shalom {iPod touch w/CF app}
DH stands for what, by the way? And as I went to the link but didn't know where to go, what was the name I could go to?

Upvote 0

Henaynei

Sh'ma Yisrael, Adonai Echud! Al pi Adonai...
Sep 6, 2003
North Carolina - my heart is with Israel ---
✟43,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Constitution
Easy G (G²) said:
DH stands for what, by the way? And as I went to the link but didn't know where to go, what was the name I could go to?

:)
DH Dear Husband
DW Dear Wife
DM " Mother
DF Father
DD Daughter
DS Son
etc

Link should have taken you to our book page on our site.
All books there were written by DH. (Very Prpud wife)

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
:)
DH Dear Husband
DW Dear Wife
DM " Mother
DF Father
DD Daughter
DS Son
etc
Man, I'm gonna need a handbook--as I was thinking that DH meant something akin son or Daughter...

Link should have taken you to our book page on our site.
When I got there, I saw 4 book references but nothing specific I was certatin of. My apologies for missing it..
All books there were written by DH. (Very Prpud wife)
Glad to know you were proud :)

Upvote 0

Henaynei

Sep 6, 2003
✟43,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Constitution
Near the bottom of the header at the top are 3 tabs - All, Fiction and Non-fiction. If you click All you will see all his books. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Near the bottom of the header at the top are 3 tabs - All, Non-fiction and Fiction. If you click All you will see all his books. :)

Cool...:)

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I hope you found it :)

Wishing you had let me know about what you noted with the books when there was discussion on Jewish artwork in the thread on comics. :)

Upvote 0

Henaynei

Sep 6, 2003
✟43,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Constitution
Avodat said:
Have you put these books in a post on the sticky about books and web-sites re MJism?

There's a sticky? I'll go look for it. Todah!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
IMO Art that glorifies G-d can be wonderful

One example of art glorifying the Lord is something I came across which I thought was very beautiful is the Mosaic at a Christian church at Tabgha, on the northwestern shore of the Sea of Galilee, where tradition says Yeshua gave the Sermon on the Mount.

Tabgha-Church-FishandLoaves-mosaic.jpg

Tabgha in Arabic is Al-Tabigha, whereas in Hebrew it's Ein Sheva = עין שבע which means The 7 springs. Tabgha is the traditional site of Jesus miracle of multiplication of the loaves and fish near the Sea of the Galilee.:)
“And when he had taken the five loaves and the two fishes, he looked up to heaven, and blessed, and brake the loaves, and gave them to his disciples to set before them; and the two fishes divided he among them all. And they did all eat, and were filled. And they took up twelve baskets full of the fragments, and of the fishes. And they that did eat of the loaves were about five thousand men”. (Mark 6/

Sacred Art truly rocks, IMHO:D

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Gxg (G²);59234635 said:
Terms can be an issue, I think. For when one sees a painting one made of the Heavenlies or of the Messiah that done unto God's glory or prayed over for ministry--and someone appreciates it--it's essentially the same thing as adoring it. Memorial plaques (without pictures), pics of past rabbis/leaders in the hallway at the entrance and other things are all honored in one way or another..and that in/of itself is veneration.

Whenever pictures are placed up of what the Torah looks like, as has occurred here frequently over the years, one is involved in choosing to adore something....and yet the argument has been how the pictures help in thinking about what the scriptures make clear. To venerate something is about appreciation/reverence of it--and as long as there is the practice of kissing Torah scrolls occurring within Messianic Jewish synagouges or treating objects with reverence, I wonder if what occurs is condeming one thing (as others may see it worthy of condemnation) while doing the same thing in differing language/expression.

No one worships an image, but to appreciate it/hold it in reverence or consecration is another. And on the issue of venneration, people often forget that veneration was about honor--and bowing down was something even the people of God did when honoring others ( Genesis 18:1-3, Genesis 23:6-13 Genesis 33:2-4 Genesis 48:11-13 , Exodus 18:6-8 , Ruth 2:9-11 , 1 Samuel 20:40-42 1 Samuel 24:7-9 1 Samuel 25:22-24 , 2 Samuel 9:5-7 2 Samuel 18:27-29 2 Samuel 24:19-21 1 Kings 1:15-17 1 Kings 1:30-32 , etc). For those bowing down in remembrance of others who went before us, just as people bow their heads at a funeral or when seeing a picture of a departed love one out of respect. That's the basis behind icons when it comes to depictions of the saints.

If something glorious is bowed to in order to worship it apart from the Lord, that's another issue. John in Revelation had that temptation with the angel teaching him and was warned against it ( Revelation 19:1-15 )

Some say that there's a difference between a Torah scroll being kissed and an icon in an Orthodox Church since they see a Torah Scroll as a symbol of revelation while they view an icon as an image of something on heaven or earth that is to be venerated. In their view, to venerate a Torah scroll is to venerate the self-disclosure of God through ancient prophetic writing while to venerate an icon is to venerate an image..but it seems silly since veneration is occurring REGARDLESS with both sets---and the image is a artisitc portrayal of what ancient prophetic writing described.

As said elsewhere, with the ICon issue, I really wonder at times what is so difficult to understand with the concept. Within OT Israel, the objects used in tabernacle (and later Temple ) worship were prayed over/sanctified before the Lord and all of it spoke to the Work of the Lord. If studying how the objects within the tabernacle looked (which one can go here or here for more on that), it's really powerful. There was a reverence to things rather than acting as if it was common. Things like the Showbread or the Golden Candlestick, within the Holy Place which provided light, and many other instruments had a Divine Purpose ( Exodus 27, Exodus 30:27-29, Exodus 31:8-10 , Exodus 35:15-17 , Numbers 4 , etc ).
Leviticus 8:10-12
Moses said to the assembly, “This is what the LORD has commanded to be done.” Then Moses brought Aaron and his sons forward and washed them with water. He put the tunic on Aaron, tied the sash around him, clothed him with the robe and put the ephod on him. He also fastened the ephod with a decorative waistband, which he tied around him. He placed the breastpiece on him and put the Urim and Thummim in the breastpiece. Then he placed the turban on Aaron’s head and set the gold plate, the sacred emblem, on the front of it, as the LORD commanded Moses.

10 Then Moses took the anointing oil and anointed the tabernacle and everything in it, and so consecrated them. He sprinkled some of the oil on the altar seven times, anointing the altar and all its utensils and the basin with its stand, to consecrate them. He poured some of the anointing oil on Aaron’s head and anointed him to consecrate him.
Numbers 7:1-3
[ Offerings at the Dedication of the Tabernacle ] When Moses finished setting up the tabernacle, he anointed and consecrated it and all its furnishings. He also anointed and consecrated the altar and all its utensils.
2 Chronicles 29:18
Then they went in to King Hezekiah and reported: “We have purified the entire temple of the LORD, the altar of burnt offering with all its utensils, and the table for setting out the consecrated bread, with all its articles.
2 Chronicles 29:17-19
THis was throots.

Mary with Jesus
The Christian catacombs with religious images and symbols in Rome have been dated back to the late second century.

There were other excellent articles on the subject from those people that I've greatly enjoyed when it comes to the endeavor of creating understanding. For more:

Apart from that, for some excellent books on the subject that I think would be worth considering:

Awesome picture to have:cool:
Gxg (G2)

What do you personally think of the theory that the Ark of the Covenant may have been taken to Ethiopia?
//In a September 1935, article in the National Geographic magazine, L. Roberts recorded his interviews with various priests in different parts of Ethiopia who consistently told the same story. They recounted that the Queen of Sheba had visited King Solomon and had had "a child", Menelik I. Solomon educated the lad in Jerusalem until he was nineteen years old. The boy then returned to Ethiopia with a large group of Jews, taking with him the true Ark of the Covenant.....

//The Ethiopian official national epic known as the Glory of the Kings (Kebra-Nagasi) contains an amazing story which offers an explanation of what happened to the Ark of the Covenant. In addition, there are several Ethiopian murals which tell how the Ark and the Tablets of the Law were taken to Ethiopia for safekeeping by Prince Menelik I. ..... The Queen of Sheba, his mother, had died and the prince prepared to leave Jerusalem to return twenty-five hundred miles to his native country to become its king.

Prince Menelik bore an uncanny resemblance in beauty and regal bearing to his father. King Solomon wanted to give him a replica of the Ark to take with him to Ethiopia because the long distance would prevent him from ever again worshipping at the temple in Jerusalem.

However Prince Menelik was concerned with the growing apostasy of Israel and the fact that his father, Solomon was now allowing idols to be placed in the Temple to please his pagan wives. King Solomon gave the prince a going-away banquet and after the priests were filled with wine, Menelik and his loyal associates switched arks and left the replica in its place in the Holy of Holies.// (Grant Jeffrey, [page 115, Armageddon, Appointment with Destiny).

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Gxg (G2)

What do you personally think of the theory that the Ark of the Covenant may have been taken to Ethiopia?
Dennis,

Although this thread is a bit old, if interested, some good sources of reference would be the following:

On your question, I sought to tackle that issue a year ago in other posting - and recently as well when it came to wondering what would happen if the Ark was found today - as seen here:
Gxg (G²);61580245 said:
Ethiopian Christians/believers. They're very beautiful people and I've always been amazed at seeing the ways they developed, with them being very close to the ways 1st century Judaism was truly like. It's really significant to me, seeing how Philip the Evangelist went out to the Ethiopian Eunch and enabled him to go back to his own people/preach the Word

philip_and_ethiopian.jpg

ethiopian-bible.jpg

The story in Acts 8:26-40 with the Ethopian Eunuch is a very fascinting one. For the sake of background, Ethopia was located in Africa south of Egypt. The Eunuch was obviously very dedicated to God because he had traveled such a long distance to worship in Jerusalem. The Jews had contact with Ethopia in ancient days (Psalm 68:31, Jeremiah 38:6-13, Jeremiahs 39:15-18, etc)---with many even speculating that Solomon was directly connected with them at one point as it concerns Bathsehba.

The most popular story connected to the region is the ancient account of the Queen of Sheba. As told in the Old Testament, she travelled from Aksum to Jerusalem to meet the famed King Solomon (King of the Israelites) in Jerusalem. For more, one can click here to listen to a dramatisation of the story of the Queen of Sheba's seduction by King Solomon
"And when the queen of Sheba heard of the fame of Solomon concerning the name of the Lord, she came to prove him with hard questions. And she came to Jerusalem with a very great train, with camels that bare spices, and very much gold, and precious stones; and when she was come to Solomon, she communed with him of all that was in her heart."
1 Kings 10:1-2
Although there is no evidence that the Queen of Sheba did come from Aksum (as it has been debated that Sheba is perhaps in Southern Arabia originally or Yemen), it has become part of the Ethiopian church's central tenets and there're many reasons to think Ethiopia was the same as Sheba. Some have noted that Yemen was a vassal of Ethiopia. For more, one can read the renowned historian Gibbon’s book "The Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire. This fact is also reported on the holy Qu’ran. In both books one can read, for instance, about the war of Abraha who was an Ethiopian ruler of Yemen. From these and similar other facts, one could have concluded that Queen of Sheba used to rule Ethiopia and her vassal Yemen.

And I'd not be surprised that the Queen did have relations with Solomon in light of his other activities/history for being hot-blooded:cool::D. Others have also given some interesting information as it concerns the possible scenarios of what occurred between Solomon and Sheba. I agree with other scholars as well as archeologists that it's most likely that the Ark of the Covenant is in Ethiopia.

For some good resources to investigate (and to be clear, not all agree):

As another noted wisely:
"The Ethiopians say she travelled from Aksum across the Red Sea…and visited Solomon there. It was said they had romantic relations and she had a son...and she came back and he was born to the north of Aksum.

When he was old enough, she sent him back to his father to get his blessing and his father blessed him and sent him back to Ethiopia…and this son established a new dynasty…the Solomonic dynasty. The name of the son was Menelik I…

Tesfay Berhane offers a guided tour of Axum and the Queen of Sheba's Palace

Listen to a mass, recorded at the Ethiopian Orthodox Church in Axum

For many Ethiopians, there is a strong belief that they are connected to King Solomon directly and for them, the issue of Judaic practice is a VERY big deal. As it is, Genetic research suggests Ethiopians mixed with Egyptian, Israeli or Syrian populations about 3,000 years ago. ..and this is the time the queen, mentioned in great religious works, is said to have ruled the kingdom of Sheba. ..although this has been debated (as seen in
Not out of Sheba | Gene Expression | Discover Magazine).

That the Ethiopian Eunuch had a scroll of the Torah with him when reading is not surprising in light of how it was valued in the culture he came from. Some say that this man may have been a Gentile convert to Judaism. Because he was the treasurer of Ethopia, his conversion brought Christianity into the power structures of another government. This was the beginning of the witness "to the uttermost part of the earth" (Acts 1:8, Isaiah 56:3-5). As seen in Acts 8:29-35, Philip found the Ethiopian man reading the scriptures and explained the Gospel by asking the man if he understood what he was reading.....following the Spirit's leading and beginning discussion from where the man was (immersed in the prophecies of Isaiah). In the process of coversation, the man was shown by Phillip how Christ fulfilled Isaiah's prophecies...with the conversation starting with the eunuch begging Phillip to explain a passage of Scripture which he did not understand. Once the task was over, Philip was suddenly transported o a different city.....but God sent his messengers to those who were after Him.

As a eunuch, the Ethopian would have been barred from the inner courts of the temple, which makes his reading "the prophet Isaiah" (v.28) especially significant ...for Isaiah held out the promise that God would grant eunuchs (alongside Gentiles wishing to do so) a heritage "better than sons and daughters" (Isaiah 56:3-5).There seems to be a theme within scripture that Gentiles wishing to do so, as it concerns love/living the lifestyle called of Jews, have the blessing of the Lord to do so...

Even with the earlier example of the Eunuch of Ethopia, there were many Gentiles of African descent within the scriptures who did not do as the Ethiopian Eunuch did. One example is EBED-MELECH, the Ethopian/black man who rescued Jeremiah from the dungeon/pit he was trapped in and was praised by the Lord for it(Jeremiah 38, Jeremiah 39 ). He was a a Gentile servant, politically disenfranchised, excluded by reason of his emasculation from "the congregation of the LORD" (Deuteronomy 23:1)...and yet when he lived in nation of Jews/Israelites that refused to obey the Lord, he did what was expected of the Lord for Jews to do.

....All of that to say is meant to say that Ethiopians within the scriptures seem HIGHLY significant in the culture of the Bible, be it those who were Gentiles wishing to walk a Judaic lifestyle....or those who were Ethiopian Jews living out Judaism within their Ethiopian culture.

Although I greatly appreciate the culture/enjoyed learning of Ethiopian Christianity/Ethiopian Jews for years (and have shared more on that in other discussions as well as on other expressions of Jewishness -- seen here , here, here, here , here, here, here, here and here), I was blessed last summer to see some more of their artifacts ...as well as seeing the sheer diversity that the scriptures have produced when it comes to differing groups promoting the Gospel. Specifically, last summer I was blessed to go to this exhibit called Passages Interactive Bible Exhibit. It was simply amazing witnessing the Biblical history/artifacts that are present within it. Passages is a 14,000-square-foot interactive, multimedia exhibition for all ages. It features some of the most exquisite and rare biblical manuscripts, printed Bibles, and historical items in the world. These cultural treasures include a Dead Sea Scroll text, ancient biblical papyri, beautifully illuminated manuscripts, early printed materials, including a portion of the Gutenberg Bible, and multiple first editions of the English Bible through the King James Version.

To view the Bible from its original writings, through time….from the time it was hand-written, up through current times, when it can be mass-produced...to witness a few with mistakes and how some took advantage of changing the Bible to meet their needs... how God has maintained it’s integrity through providing us with the original documents written two+ thousand years ago…amazing.

For more:

Passages: Experience The Bible Like Never Before

Bible-Translation-Timeline.jpg

IMG_2873.jpg

IMG_2869-1.jpg

In God's Eyes, His People are a Living Mosaic and Testament of His Power :) Shalom :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Gxg (G²);63753215 said:
Dennis,

Although this thread is a bit old, if interested, some good sources of reference would be the following:

On your question, I sought to tackle that issue a year ago in other posting - and recently as well when it came to wondering what would happen if the Ark was found today - as seen here:

Wow.......the

Kulanu: Is the Ark of the Covenant in Ethiopia?

article was awesome....I am so glad to see some back up information on this topic!!!!!!!

Thank you immensely!!!!!

And I will sure appreciate your prayers about this:

https://apps.facebook.com/forumforpages/180898612019485/6d0e6b1a-c408-4589-b800-9cc294039ec0/0
Canadian support for rebuilding of Jerusalem Third Temple Complex can alter Middle East political formula.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums