• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

ready to give in to God...or OCD.

Subaru17

Apr 4, 2017
Usa
✟21,404.00
Marital Status
Single
So been really struggling lately, I guess you could say I have scrupulosity, especially blasphemous thoughts/vows etc.

Just been feeling like I can't really go on any more, When I was 15 I thought i was the Anti-Christ and had blasphemed so I asked to be forgiven and said if I was, that I would be a itinerant preacher for the sect I grew up in.

So since then been feeling like I have to do that. Its been about 10 years, and I have a life but it is burning me up, I don't want to do it because of what it requires and teaches (exclusivity) etc.

I have made vows, countervows, counter-counter vows.

But I cant separate the spiritual from the mental.

ready to just give up

Any help would be awesome.
Thanks in advance.

God is good

Oct 4, 2016
Michigan
✟201,885.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So been really struggling lately, I guess you could say I have scrupulosity, especially blasphemous thoughts/vows etc.

Just been feeling like I can't really go on any more, When I was 15 I thought i was the Anti-Christ and had blasphemed so I asked to be forgiven and said if I was, that I would be a itinerant preacher for the sect I grew up in.

So since then been feeling like I have to do that. Its been about 10 years, and I have a life but it is burning me up, I don't want to do it because of what it requires and teaches (exclusivity) etc.

ready to just give up

Thanks in advance.
Please don't give up, God loves you very very much and Jesus is always with us. I have also struggled with bad thoughts and just please know how much God loves you and He doesn't want you to suffer. When it comes to being a pastor, I believe that you will know in your heart if you want to do it and you could always pray to God about it. God bless you and Jesus is Lord.

Reactions: Subaru17
Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I really feel for you, because I know how OCD likes to toy with our minds and emotions. It also likes to make us feel like we should do things we don't want to do. Do you use ERP therapy on your obsessions? That would be my first recommendation. Also, about the itinerant preacher thing - logically speaking (although I know OCD does not always listen to logic!) do you think God really wants you to preach for this sect if they teach exclusivity etc.? In any case, it sounds like this is all pretty much OCD, and needs to be treated as such. If you're not sure how to start, I can give some advice about what has worked for me, links to resources, etc. Hang in there - there's lots of hope and freedom ahead of you!

Upvote 0

disciple1

Aug 1, 2012
✟62,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

ready to just give up

Thanks in advance.
If your 25 you don't know enough to be a pastor try it when your about 50 and have spent many years studying the bible.

Upvote 0

I'm_Sorry

Taking a break from CF
Site Supporter
Oct 18, 2016
Australia
✟131,197.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

ready to just give up

Thanks in advance.

With each voice/thought that comes to you, bring it into the obedience of Christ Jesus, pray to God and ask Him to rebuke the devil and all his works over your life in Christ Jesus name.

Don't own these thoughts, they're the devil and his workers trying to get you to remain in fear for your salvation, keep you paranoid and in the fear of death and condemnation.

Romans 8:1

There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus

Jesus paid the price for your sins, there is nothing that will separate you from His love for you.

Romans 8:38-39
38 For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, 39 nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Confess your sins to Him and He will forgive you, purify you from all unrighteousness.

1 John 1:9
"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness."
--

"Put on the whole armour of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil."

Ephesians 6:10-18

10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. 11 Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. 12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. 13 Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

14 Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness, 15 and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; 16 above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one. 17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God; 18 praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints—

new-clothes-new-life-armor-of-god.jpg

---

Matthew 5:33-37

33 “Again you have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not swear falsely, but shall perform your oaths to the Lord.’ 34 But I say to you, do not swear at all: neither by heaven, for it is God’s throne; 35 nor by the earth, for it is His footstool; nor by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King. 36 Nor shall you swear by your head, because you cannot make one hair white or black. 37 But let your ‘Yes’ be ‘Yes,’ and your ‘No,’ ‘No.’ For whatever is more than these is from the evil one.

---

Be free in Him, He is Faithful and forgives you. Keep in prayer, Fight the Good fight.

1 Timothy 6:12
"Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art also called, and hast professed a good profession before many witnesses."

---

Focus on Jesus at all times, remember we don't eat bread alone but by every word that proceedeth from the mouth of God.

Put on an Audio Bible and be filled with His Holy Spirit and nourished by His Word.

Upvote 0

Celticroots

Jun 2, 2012
✟72,590.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I really feel for you, because I know how OCD likes to toy with our minds and emotions. It also likes to make us feel like we should do things we don't want to do. Do you use ERP therapy on your obsessions? That would be my first recommendation. Also, about the itinerant preacher thing - logically speaking (although I know OCD does not always listen to logic!) do you think God really wants you to preach for this sect if they teach exclusivity etc.? In any case, it sounds like this is all pretty much OCD, and needs to be treated as such. If you're not sure how to start, I can give some advice about what has worked for me, links to resources, etc. Hang in there - there's lots of hope and freedom ahead of you!

You give great advice again. :)

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
With each voice/thought that comes to you, bring it into the obedience of Christ Jesus, pray to God and ask Him to rebuke the devil and all his works over your life in Christ Jesus name.

Don't own these thoughts, they're the devil and his workers trying to get you to remain in fear for your salvation, keep you paranoid and in the fear of death and condemnation.

Romans 8:1

There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus

Jesus paid the price for your sins, there is nothing that will separate you from His love for you.

Romans 8:38-39
38 For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, 39 nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Confess your sins to Him and He will forgive you, purify you from all unrighteousness.

1 John 1:9
"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness."
--

"Put on the whole armour of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil."

Ephesians 6:10-18

10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. 11 Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. 12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. 13 Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

14 Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness, 15 and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; 16 above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one. 17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God; 18 praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints—

View attachment 214615

---

Matthew 5:33-37

33 “Again you have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not swear falsely, but shall perform your oaths to the Lord.’ 34 But I say to you, do not swear at all: neither by heaven, for it is God’s throne; 35 nor by the earth, for it is His footstool; nor by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King. 36 Nor shall you swear by your head, because you cannot make one hair white or black. 37 But let your ‘Yes’ be ‘Yes,’ and your ‘No,’ ‘No.’ For whatever is more than these is from the evil one.

---

Be free in Him, He is Faithful and forgives you. Keep in prayer, Fight the Good fight.

1 Timothy 6:12
"Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art also called, and hast professed a good profession before many witnesses."

---

Focus on Jesus at all times, remember we don't eat bread alone but by every word that proceedeth from the mouth of God.

Put on an Audio Bible and be filled with His Holy Spirit and nourished by His Word.

Great chart re. Ephesians 6! :)

Upvote 0

1am3laine

Oct 9, 2017
Detroit
Visit site
✟68,961.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

ready to just give up

Thanks in advance.

When it comes to blasphemous thoughts they are just demonic activity exalting itself above the knowledge of Christ that we need to cast down in JESUS name. ( 2 Corinthians 10:5 )
Dealing with OCD Scrupulosity you have to do MASSIVE PRAYER, FASTING, and getting hands laid on you by Holy Spirit filled people for the voices to calm down and eventually leave. ( Mark 16:17-18 )
Only the thoughts you agree to are yours.

Praying in the Holy Spirit is also a great help because we don't know what to pray for as we ought. ( Romans 8:26 )

Upvote 0

God is good

Oct 4, 2016
Michigan
✟201,885.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When it comes to blasphemous thoughts they are just demonic activity exalting itself above the knowledge of Christ that we need to cast down in JESUS name. ( 2 Corinthians 10:5 )
Dealing with OCD Scrupulosity you have to do MASSIVE PRAYER, FASTING, and getting hands laid on you by Holy Spirit filled people for the voices to calm down and eventually leave. ( Mark 16:17-18 )
Only the thoughts you agree to are yours.

Praying in the Holy Spirit is also a great help because we don't know what to pray for as we ought. ( Romans 8:26 )
This is great advice, I have scrupulosity too I believe and it's hard to deal with and I need to trust in Jesus more instead of my feelings. I take medication and it helps tremendously but it's up to the person if they feel comfortable. God bless you and Jesus is Lord.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

1am3laine

Oct 9, 2017
Detroit
Visit site
✟68,961.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This is great advice, I have scrupulosity too I believe and it's hard to deal with and I need to trust in Jesus more instead of my feelings. I take medication and it helps tremendously but it's up to the person if they feel comfortable. God bless you and Jesus is Lord.

Some people find it hard to sleep dealing with the LOUD MANY VOICES.
What helps is sleeping with Gospel/Christian Music on or your favorite Christian TV Channel in the background because it can attack the demons that are attacking your mind.
DayStar
TBN
WordNetwork
ImpactNetwork
are some good stations on TV to leave it on if you have trouble sleeping because the blasphemous thoughts are TOO LOUD AND REPETITIVE.

Scrupulosity can be VERY HARD to deal with but with GOD all things are possible.
( Matthew 19:26 )

Dealing with Scrupulosity you have to Immerse yourself in the WORD. Reading Psalms 18 four times a day out loud will help build your strength.

For some people it leaves quickly others it takes years but they do go away I assure you.

Upvote 0

God is good

Oct 4, 2016
Michigan
✟201,885.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What helps is sleeping with Gospel/Christian Music on or your favorite Christian TV Channel in the background because it can attack the demons that are attacking your mind.
DayStar
TBN
WordNetwork
ImpactNetwork
are some good stations on TV to leave it on if you have trouble sleeping because the blasphemous thoughts are TOO LOUD AND REPETITIVE.

Scrupulosity can be VERY HARD to deal with but with GOD all things are possible.

Dealing with Scrupulosity you have to Immerse yourself in the WORD. Reading Psalms 18 four times a day out loud will help build your strength.

For some people it leaves quickly others it takes years but they do go away I assure you.

Upvote 0

God is good

Oct 4, 2016
Michigan
✟201,885.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
DayStar
TBN
WordNetwork
ImpactNetwork

Thank you very much. God bless you and Jesus is Lord.

Upvote 0

God is good

Oct 4, 2016
Michigan
✟201,885.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Just also wanted to point out for others reading this thread that religious OCD/scrupulosity is not an inherently spiritual problem.
Thank you, it really can feel like it is when in reality it isn't. God bless you and Jesus is Lord.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Subaru17

Apr 4, 2017
Usa
✟21,404.00
Marital Status
Single
Hi thank you all for the encouragement, I made it through another week! Seem to be better when I take my anxiety medication, Sad though because my OCD is definitely hurting my life and most specifically my romantic relationship. I wish I could have clarity, actually I think just faith.

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Keep treating the OCD with ERP therapy as well as meds, even if you're just self-treating. That means ignoring the anxiety and what it is telling you to do, over and over (and possibly doing purposeful exposures) until your brain habituates to your fears. It's tough but it's worth it! There are lots of great resources (books, websites) out there to provide support and encouragement. If you need some recommendations just let me know! Hope you continue to improve!

Reactions: God is good
Upvote 0