Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Psalms are a most remarkable book.

In them are recording the joys, the fears and the aspirations of the Psalmist - mainly David; as he works out his faith experience in the reverential fear of the Lord.

Here are the highs, the lows, the extreme ranges of human experiece.

Reading the Psalms again and again, one should never tire of these remarkable expressions of faith. Messianically they are especially remarkable. Psalm 23 ties in with the Good Shepherd of John 10. Psalm 110: 'the LORD said unto my Lord, Sit Thou at my right hand...' - here, David calls Jesus - for it is He - 'Lord'.

Please share your experience reading the Psalms.

Blessings.

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Psalm 22 - The Crucifiction - The Good Shepherd laying down his life for his sheep (John 10:11)

Psalm 23 - New Testament salvation - The Great Shepherd making his sheep perfect in every good work (Heb. 13:20-21)

Psalm 24 - The in-gathering - The Chief Shepherd, soon to appear in glory (1 Peter 5:4)

Wonderful, yes.

Truly we may say: Christ in all the Scriptures.

Sometimes people wonder which Psalms were sung as recording in Matthew 26 and Mark 14, at the institution of the Lord's Supper.

Thank-you for your good comment.

Blessings.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
The Psalms? Inexpressible, really. They give SUCH a precious account of David...his ups n' downs, his fallings, stumblings, and what is so utterly precious is his repentance to the God he loved with all that was in him...and THAT perhaps is why God called David the "apple of His eye" and why David was described as a man after God's own heart, and why David faced down Goliath when all were tremblng and hiding...

David feared NONE but God.

He was a living, breathing embodiment of this key verse that defines a man of God:

"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding." ~Proverbs 9:10

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Psalms? Inexpressible, really. They give SUCH a precious account of David...his ups n' downs, his fallings, stumblings, and what is so utterly precious is his repentance to the God he loved with all that was in him...and THAT perhaps is why God called David the "apple of His eye" and why David was described as a man after God's own heart, and why David faced down Goliath when all were tremblng and hiding...

David feared NONE but God.

He was a living, breathing embodiment of this key verse that defines a man of God:

"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding." ~Proverbs 9:10

Ms. brinny:

Yes, this sums it up, doesn't it?

'A man after God's own heart'.

Although he had zipper trouble, in Psalm 51 he deeply repented.

I feel we heard the heartbeat of David's communion with his Lord, his Shepherd, his King.

Blessings.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
what we see when we look at David's story, his testimony, is that although we may sin abominably, we can be forgiven, and just like with the prodigal son's father, seeing his son afar off, RANNNNNNNNNNNNN to Him. THAT is God's mercy and God is chompin' at da bit to forgive us.....therefore we can praise God and be thankful that although we are sinful and as such scarlet, His forgiveness makes us white as snow.

"Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool." ~Isaiah 1:18

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
what we see when we look at David's story, his testimony, is that although we may sin abominably, we can be forgiven, and just like with the prodigal son's father, seeing his son afar off, RANNNNNNNNNNNNN to Him. THAT is God's mercy and God is chompin' at da bit to forgive us.....therefore we can praise God and be thankful that although we are sinful and as such scarlet, His forgiveness makes us white as snow.

"Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool." ~Isaiah 1:18

I love Isaiah, too. Like, when we look at chapter 53 and see the sheer lengths the Lord Jesus went to in order to bring justification from sin to those who trust Him.

For me, Psalm 51 is among the most moving of Psalms. 'Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be whiter than snow'. This Psalm was the basis of Allegri's Miserere. I used to have a tape of the choir of Merton College, Oxford singing it.

Blessings.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
THis is quite beautiful...they are singing Psalms?

Allegri - Miserere mei, Deus (Full version) - YouTube

Yes, Allegri's Miserere is from Psalm 51.

Some versions are sung in Latin, another version is in English.

It's truly beautiful and moving. What ppl need to avoid is being taken up so much with the beauty of the music that the meaning of this penitential Psalm is overlooked.

Blessings.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I agree! I was just thinkin' about that.....

and even to those singing it, if it's not from the heart, they should prob'ly step down, cua this is for God's glory, and in essence, "prayer" and adoration TO Him. The ones listening should be thinkin' of what is being sung and WHO it is to and abbout, and be joining in with the worship and adoration in their hearts as they listen.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I agree! I was just thinkin' about that.....

and even to those singing it, if it's not from the heart, they should prob'ly step down, cua this is for God's glory, and in essence, "prayer" and adoration TO Him. The ones listening should be thinkin' of what is being sung and WHO it is to and abbout, and be joining in with the worship and adoration in their hearts as they listen.

The Psalms were originally penned to be sung, of course.

But yes, there is always the danger of the words not reaching the heart. On the other hand, if people become familiar with the tune and the words, then the Spirit can later take up the words and use them in application to the heart.

It's the same with all sorts of Christian music. I love to hear the Psalms sung. I like traditional Christian hymns. I also like Christian hard rock: the lyrics of some Chrisrtian hard rock bands such as Disciple are really Biblical.

God can use the tunes to bless through the lyrics.

Blessings.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
This would be an excellent Bible study, wouldn't it?
4chsmu1.gif

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
....let's see...maybe i'm thinkin' of singin' anything to God half-heartedly (and how it ties into luke-warm-ness) God actually speaks on this, doesn't He?

Ephesians 5.19 speaks of 'making melody in your hearts to the Lord'. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
THAT is awesome!!!! Isn't it???

....so BEFORE we even begin to sing audibly, a song maybe needs to be bubblin' up from our hearts first, yes?

This is a very good thought.

Paradise Lost needs to be replaced by Paradise Regained in the heart, and then we will have a new song (Psalm 40.3).

Blessings.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
interesting...yes, and isn't it interesting that "singing" (that starts in the heart and then verbally) has an inexplicable tie-in to God's own heart....

cuz God Himself is quite a Singer, isn't He?

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
interesting...yes, and isn't it interesting that "singing" (that starts in the heart and then verbally) has an inexplicable tie-in to God's own heart....

cuz God Himself is quite a Singer, isn't He?

Ms. brinny:

Just imagine the harmony that existed before the Fall.

Yet in Christ, because of the Cross, the harmony is restored to us spiritually and in a coming day the earth will know it also.

Blessings.

Upvote 0