East of Manchester
✟2,622,909.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Is it better to read the Bible from cover to cover or chronologically?
Ask for guidance from the Lord, we are all different and at different stages in our spiritual experience.

Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I have started using the audio Bible at Biblegateway
I can cook, etc while listening,
I had the book of Joshua this morning
:)
That is a wonderful asset,'musicalpilgrim'

Upvote 0

musicalpilgrim

pilgrim on the sacred music pathway
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2012
East of Manchester
✟2,622,909.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
  • Agree
Reactions: quietbloke
Upvote 0

musicalpilgrim

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2012
East of Manchester
✟2,622,909.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I would never recommend doing that Music. When you are doing anything else, you are not concentrating and focusing on God's word. The Bible must have your undivided attention.
It has worked very well, I am enjoying listening to the story of Joshua, so exciting with the walls of Jericho tumbling down. The dramatized version is excellent.
I am used to listening to talks on my kitchen tablet, and enjoy it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟775,945.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Hi ChristianforCats. I would say there are times when it is good to read the Bible without music or video and I agree it is a good way of focusing on the words that are written.
I believe also there are many different beautiful and creative ways of expressing what is written in the scriptures. Christians have been putting scripture to songs and music for the past two millenia as part of their worship. Sometimes I think it is easy to be overfamiliar with a text when it is simply read or spoken, and to hear it sung or put to music is something very special. It captivates my attention to the words in a new way and helps me to reflect upon them. I remember singing passages from the book of psalms in plainchant earlier this year - a wonderful way to read and reflect on the scriptures.
I believe the God we love and serve has created many beautiful things, including the gift of music and art. They have been created for our pleasure and I believe it also gives pleasure and glory to Him when we use the gifts that we have been given to worship Him and proclaim His message.

Upvote 0

musicalpilgrim

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2012
East of Manchester
✟2,622,909.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
How are you able to just think about Joshua and not the worldly things in your kitchen?
I don't have a problem with that, Brother Lawrence used to pray while he washed pots in the kitchens.
His book, Practice of the Presence of God

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟775,945.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I don't have a problem with that, Brother Lawrence used to pray while he washed pots in the kitchens.
His book, Practice of the Presence of God
I love the fact that Brother Lawrence taught us that we can pray to God, not just at appointed times, but throughout the course of our everyday lives.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟775,945.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Anthony, the Vineyard does that. I can read a passage or psalm and think, "I used to sing that!"

My concern is when people are doing something else and using the Bible as background noise.

When I look at my Christian brothers and sisters and see them praying, worshipping and reading the Bible in all kinds of different ways, and enjoying different tastes in music styles, it helps me to understand how God made each of us very unique and special. We all have different tastes and preferences. We have different ways of responding to His love in our worship. We all have different learning styles and have our own preferred way of studying the scriptures.

Some Christians enjoy modern contemporary songs and auditoriums crowded with hundreds of people. I prefer more quieter, reflective and traditional styles of worship.

There are aspects of my prayer life and worship that others may not appreciate and understand unless it has been part of their experience. When I pray, I make the sign of the cross, I will occasionally light a candle. Theologically, I come from a tradition that supports both adult and infant baptism and believes in the Real Presence in the Eucharist. My traditions and practices as a Christian have been shaped by my upbringing and my own understanding of what the scriptures are teaching us.

I think what makes the worldwide church so dynamic and vibrant is that it is full of people who are not exactly the same as one another. Some people love to pray and study the Word in a quiet place, or like Brother Lawrence, through doing ordinary everyday things.

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I prefer lively band music worship because when I read hymn books in a Methodist church, I could not for the life of me figure out which line of text to read. At the Vineyard there are huge projector screens and I always knew by reading one which stanza the congregation was singing. That is very important to me. Of course this does not take away from the beauty of traditional worship songs and choirs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

musicalpilgrim

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2012
East of Manchester
✟2,622,909.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I have a problem with noise, and the modern worship songs, drum beats, big screen, cause me real pain. Neuralgia, and nerve problems, explosions in my head, I would never have believed possible.
My husband is so good and is quite happy to have peace and quiet.
I love the music that Anthony posts on the goodnight thread.
Yes, we are all different, but our wonderful Lord is forever the same.
God bless :)

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟775,945.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
There are so many different Bibles to choose from.
I like the King James Version, for its literary style.
I like the Good News Bible, for its simplicity and easy-to-read accessibility. It is the version I used to read at school and Sunday school.
I like the New International Version for its portability. Most people I know use one and it is good for sharing passages of scriptures with others who have the same version.
I like the New Revised Standard Version as it is very popular with academics and theologians. It is a very popular study Bible.
The Youngs Literal Translation is not the easiest to read but it is very helpful if you want something that is very close to a literal translation of the texts.

The two versions I have at home are the New Revised Standard Version and the Good News Bible. Other versions I can read on the BibleGateway website.

Upvote 0