Reading the Bible.

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,186,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Reading the Bible. How should we read it?

While there are different topical studies out there, and the Bible is more than just instruction, I do ultimately read it as an instruction manual in building my walk with God because that the ultimate purpose or goal of Scripture (See: 2 Timothy 3:16-17) (Ephesians 5:25-27). There is always some kind of application for my life within the Bible. It is a guide to know the Lord and to build a deeper relationship with Him. We are to be perfect unto every good work by Scripture. We are to conform to the image of Christ (by His Word) and thus give glory to Him.

• Agree
Reactions: quietbloke
Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟745,945.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I would argue that the Bible is our handbook for the Christian faith. Is a collection of books - written in many different styles and periods of human history. Christians believe the writers of the Bible were inspired by God.

Holy scripture contains all things necessary for salvation - it is the primary way in which God speaks, revealing His will and purpose for us, ultimately bringing us to salvation through Christ. It is our ultimate rule of faith and conduct. It is the primary source and standard for Christian doctrine, illumined by sacred tradition and reason.

The Bible contains many texts spanning human history, of various different types of genres. It is helpful to recognise the context of the text, its literary style, audience, when trying to make sense of what the passage says and its application for our lives.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟725,341.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I read it and teach it as a "treasure map" that points us to who we are and what we have in Christ Jesus. Lord Jesus (John 5, 39 & 40). I depend on the Holy Spirit, given to us by the Lord Jesus, to enlighten me. It's good to study the Bible and to know it well. But intellect alone is insufficient. How can I tell? Because brilliant theologians can read the same passage and come to different conclusions.

• Agree
Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
First we look at who the Bible was written for. Then we look at how the Bible applies to us and our generation today. There are no personal - private interpretations. I also use science and history to help me get perspective and understand what the Bible is showing us and our generation today. There are times when past generations are writing directly to us today to try to help us in our understanding.

First we look for the plain literal understanding. They we look for the deeper and at times hidden message we find though shadows and types. I have known pastors with 2 year associate degrees that are very good at preaching on the meaning of the items we read about in the Temple. When we take teacher training classes we see how Jesus uses methods so that people remember what He was teaching.

• Agree
Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Because brilliant theologians can read the same passage and come to different conclusions.
Clearly the Bible says that the Holy Spirit of God is to be our teacher and our guide. We do not need man to teach us. Unless they want to share their testimony for the hope that is in them. So it is fine for people to share with others what God is showing them. But to repeat the teachings of man is often a recipe for disaster.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As if it is about Jesus from front to back.
God declares the end from the beginning. But people do not want to go forward from the beginning, they want to go to the end and use that as their perspective and that does not work very well. Every letter in the Hebrew, every stroke of the pen points to Jesus as the Son of God.

Upvote 0

charsan

Charismatic Episcopal Church
Jul 12, 2019
South California
✟62,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Read it with context in mind, who was it written to, what were the circumstances, and what was the culture at the time like. Don't read it as if everything is going to be in the Bible because the Bible was not written for that, the Bible is the history of mankind's redemption

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟745,945.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I read the Bible in a few different ways:

1. I use Common Worship which includes a lectionary. Helpful for getting to know the Bible, use daily readings, and exploring parts of the Bible I would not otherwise read.
2. I attend a housegroup where we take a biblical theme or a book of the Bible which we study in detail.
3. I like to pick up the Bible, and just browse through it, simply for reading.

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
i tried to read it from beginning to end. but the OT started getting confusing after awhile. i couldn't remember who was who and who was the son of who. so i stopped and read the NT.

Hmmm. It is confusing to me when I don't read whole chapters and passages from beginning to end. So I have been thinking it is better to read the bible from cover to cover and started with Genesis 1:1.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟745,945.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
The Bible is not an easy book to read. To understand its meaning requires prayer, wisdom, and careful interpretation. It requires an open heart and mind that is willing to be probed and challenged. We won't find easy answers to all of our questions, as there is always much more to be learned. The God we love and serve is far greater than our finite minds can take in. As Isaiah 55:8 states: "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways". And in Romans 11:33-36 "Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable his judgements, and his paths beyond tracing out! Who has known the mind of the Lord?
Or who has been his counsellor?"

Instead of reading the Bible looking for answers to all our questions, we read the Bible to allow God to speak to us and to come to faith in Jesus Christ. He is our answer. As 1 John 4:9 states: "This is how God's love was revealed among us: God sent His one and only Son into the world, so that we might live through Him."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟745,945.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
God has spoken by His prophets,
Spoken His unchanging Word,
Each from age to age proclaiming
God, the one, the righteous Lord.
In the world's despair and turmoil
One firm anchor holds us fast:
God is King, His throne eternal,
God the First and God the Last.

Upvote 0