TQ
✟50,794.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The fact that several people had to explain it speaks volumes. Speak plainly as if to a child when talking to seekers and the newly spiritual do not confuse us needlessly or risk repelling us with puffed up metaphors. We are all here to grow and be encouraged! Goodnight.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would love to feel one with God's words and be wrapped up in the Holiness of our Creator.

I have a few Bibles but just can't seem to read them! I just feel lost when I start to read.

I am looking for one I can read on my tablet in bed.

I'd recommend the good and readable NIV translation (and a link that is helpful in several ways is below).

Read through from the beginning of a book, taking your time, so you have all the context and ongoing situation.

I slow down as needed, and sometimes when reading in a gospel I can only read a few verses on some nights because of how deep and profound Christ's words can be.

If it takes me a month to read one gospel, that's perfect. If it takes 2 months, that's perfect. 3 months would be fine!

Here's the NIV at Matthew chapter 1
More translations and also commentaries on any verse when needed by clicking on the verse number.

Matthew 1 NIV

Read through gospels (at least 2) first. Then continuing right on to Acts and through the New Testament over time. And getting the additional gospels you haven't yet also. John is so wonderful, Luke is helpful, detailed, Matthew beautiful.

I read better when I lay aside doctrine.

I want to truly pay attention, so that when I read something like "love one another" it really hits home, and I really get it in my heart.

He is speaking directly to us.

We want to truly listen to Him.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mozo41

Jun 6, 2017
london
✟50,927.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The fact that several people had to explain it speaks volumes. Speak plainly as if to a child when talking to seekers and the newly spiritual do not confuse us needlessly or risk repelling us with puffed up metaphors. We are all here to grow and be encouraged! Goodnight.

the disciples Jesus chose where with him three years and did not understand his words he spoke in parables filled with metaphors, understanding his words where spirit and life and can not be heard by a carnal mind ... for a carnal mind measures/names everything ...

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟312,889.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
the disciples Jesus chose where with him three years and did not understand his words he spoke in parables filled with metaphors, understanding his words where spirit and life and can not be heard by a carnal mind ... for a carnal mind measures/names everything ...
You cann't equate the parables and metaphores of Jesus with the signposts that people on cf are scattering around that have their own meanings attached to them. That's a removal of old boundaries and putting up new manmade ones imo

Seen in religion everywhere in fact but to everyone's detriment.

Upvote 0

mozo41

Jun 6, 2017
london
✟50,927.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You cann't equate the parables and metaphores of Jesus with the signposts that people on cf are scattering around that have their own meanings attached to them. That's a removal of old boundaries and putting up new manmade ones imo

Seen in religion everywhere in fact but to everyone's detriment.

it is the nature of our soul to build a city out of any one truth ...

• Agree
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟312,889.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It is our debt of love that keeps edifying the young lambs. Those who feed in the meadow are not of those who climb the rocky terrains.

Upvote 0

PeaceJoyLove

Apr 9, 2017
Nova Scotia
✟74,422.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
..... and the lie has nothing in those who abide in and hold tightly to the TRUTH.

Hold tightly to what is right forever! By grace in Jesus from the Father always, every day living in union in and with HIM.

(the TRUTH, not 'perception' of the TRUTH)
In the garden Adam's perception changed and God asked him "Where art thou?"...Through and in Christ is the way back (reconciliation) to the Father...

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,158,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks. I am after a good Catholic Bible to read on my tablet.

I'd recommend Biblegateway then. Here's the Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition (RSVCE) --

Bible Gateway passage: Matthew 1 - Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition

Notice you can read to side by side versions easily (both of these are "Catholic" bibles)

Isaiah 55 NABRE;RSVCE - Chapter 55 An Invitation to Grace - All - Bible Gateway

But please notice the crucial helpful thing that you read with...openness and without thinking you have to read a certain amount a day, and you take your time. I worded it better perhaps in post #42 above.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,158,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Now we can see your main point well, and I agree with that. It's why I've learned how important it is to just listen as I read through a gospel (quiet my mind, and really try to listen), so that I'm not substituting my own structures in place of His words. His wording is often far more subtle and powerful than we expect, and works on us, if we will listen, and hear.

Upvote 0

mozo41

Jun 6, 2017
london
✟50,927.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Now we can see your main point well, and I agree with that. It's why I've learned how important it is to just listen as I read through a gospel (quiet my mind, and really try to listen), so that I'm not substituting my own structures in place of His words. His wording is often far more subtle and powerful than we expect, and works on us, if we will listen, and hear.

how many ways can the same truth be spoken ....

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,158,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
how many ways can the same truth be spoken ....

When He's saying them, a lot more than I guessed! And leading more places than I imagined, too.

• Agree
Reactions: mozo41
Upvote 0

fide

Dec 9, 2012
✟127,376.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
if we hold to a truth ( nail it down ) our journey into truth ends ...

To try to use your words, I would say that when Truth takes hold of us, it "nails us down" - establishing us on the Rock - and our journey into Truth begins.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

fide

Dec 9, 2012
✟127,376.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
hold to any truth over a day and it will become filled with worms ...

Rather, Scripture affirms,
Jesus then said to the Jews who had believed in him, "If you continue in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free." (John 8:31-32)

Upvote 0

mozo41

Jun 6, 2017
london
✟50,927.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To try to use your words, I would say that when Truth takes hold of us, it "nails us down" - establishing us on the Rock - and our journey into Truth begins.

Christ is a picture of Truth crucified ( nailed to a cross/hung on a tree)

Upvote 0

mozo41

Jun 6, 2017
london
✟50,927.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Rather, Scripture affirms,
Jesus then said to the Jews who had believed in him, "If you continue in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free." (John 8:31-32)

" If you continue in my word, ...

if we hold to a truth ( build a city out of it ) our journey in does not continue ... but ends, seeing we follow on to know ...

Upvote 0

fide

Dec 9, 2012
✟127,376.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
" If you continue in my word, ...

if we hold to a truth ( build a city out of it ) our journey in does not continue ... but ends, seeing we follow on to know ...

Christians are in - and citizens of - a city being built: the New Jerusalem, the true end, the purpose of God's work in the world today.

Upvote 0