God saves

Feb 11, 2019
China
✟44,440.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
From what I have read it seems that facilitated communication and the rapid prompting method are scientifically discredited.

So as a young adult with no children, I am curious what OTHER ways exist that aim to teach people who are nonverbal or minimally verbal writing or typing, that are NOT scientifically discredited, and/or ARE scientifically approved?

Also, since to me it would seem that reading usually precedes writing, what are some ways parents and educators teach nonverbal or minimally verbal children to read?

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
what are some ways parents and educators teach nonverbal or minimally verbal children to read?
Here in a district of London my children were taught to read using a scheme called 'Jolly Phonics' linking an action to a phonetic sound and that to a letter.
As they learnt the actions and sounds so they sounded out words and learnt to read.

My daughter suffers from speech delay this system together with a simple form of sign language helped her communicate and learn to read and write.

I have no idea about scientific approval of this method other than it works.

Upvote 0

JAM2b

Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
It would depend on what is causing the child to be nonverbal. Many children are capable of understanding far more than they are able to communicate. If there isn't intellectual or neurological problems that would inhibit their understanding, they are capable of learning to read and write in the same way other children are. Writing, typing, texting, and use of text-to-speech apps are possible.

The problem comes when an individual doesn't really understand communication or isn't intellectually able to learn reading and writing, or can't associate words, written or spoken, with their own thoughts and communication.

The way to determine this is if the child can communicate something independently, at their own initiative, and if what they communicate fits with their own reality and perspective. If a person can only do it if they are guided with the physical assistance or prompting of another person, it's likely not genuine communication, but (unintentionally) manipulated by the person who is assisting them.

My son could not talk when he was small. They wanted him to just learn sign language, but he wouldn't do it. He just wanted to talk. He would attempt to say things and we would guess until he confirmed we figured it out. We taught him to write, draw, spell his name, ect. He learned it about as easily as the typical child. When he went to school, he was in regular class rooms and learned right along side the children his age. Once he learned writing, he did it on his own, without assistance or prompting. He could autonomously come up with his own things to write and text.

He is sixteen now, and he still has trouble speaking but it is much better than it used to be. When he texts or writes, you would never know he has limited verbal skills because he texts and writes just like typical sixteen year olds.

Last edited:
Upvote 0