May 1, 2008
on a higher level than most of you are
✟15,124.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
In Relationship
d
For the privacy of those involved I am not going to say who of course, but I recently recieved many threats from a man who is going across youtube preaching that God is hateful.

I just wanted to ask for your prayers and to give an example that even in a country such as America there is still persecution sometimes. I have recently begun my own online devotional ministry, I do not even have my website completely and online yet. And I have already been contacted multiple times by an individual who is not only taking verses out of context to form a false view of God and Christianity, but he is actually gaining a following of non-believers by doing so.

Please pray for this man and those who believe his lies. He pulls verses out of the Bible, mostly the Old Testiment, parts such as when the firstborn of every child was killed in Exodus, and when adultrers were stoned, etc., and pulls these verses out of their context to bend them into forming this false view that God is hateful, and that churches today preach just what it is they want to, while leaving out the bad. He is generating hatred toward Christians in general over the internet. I replied calmly to his messages toward me, but I admit I'm a bit concerned that he may start directing this hatred toward me or others inparticular because of my new ministry.

Of course, there is nothing to fear when God is on our side!, but please pray, especially for him and those who are blindly believing what he is teaching.

God Bless,
SS

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Duo

Is in Ohio, and will be back in about a week
May 1, 2008
✟15,124.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
In Relationship
For the privacy of those involved I am not going to say who of course, but I recently recieved many threats from a man who is going across youtube preaching that God is hateful.

I just wanted to ask for your prayers and to give an example that even in a country such as America there is still persecution sometimes. I have recently begun my own online devotional ministry, I do not even have my website completely and online yet. And I have already been contacted multiple times by an individual who is not only taking verses out of context to form a false view of God and Christianity, but he is actually gaining a following of non-believers by doing so.

Please pray for this man and those who believe his lies. He pulls verses out of the Bible, mostly the Old Testiment, parts such as when the firstborn of every child was killed in Exodus, and when adultrers were stoned, etc., and pulls these verses out of their context to bend them into forming this false view that God is hateful, and that churches today preach just what it is they want to, while leaving out the bad. He is generating hatred toward Christians in general over the internet. I replied calmly to his messages toward me, but I admit I'm a bit concerned that he may start directing this hatred toward me or others inparticular because of my new ministry.

Of course, there is nothing to fear when God is on our side!, but please pray, especially for him and those who are blindly believing what he is teaching.

God Bless,
SS

On no! Someone is practicing their first amendment right to beleive what they want and deny the christian faith on youtube! Someone get the pitchforks and torches!
(note the sarcasm)

If the guy wants (whats his name by the way, because there are probably a million people who do that on youtube) to preach what he beleives, then let him. I dont see any differance between him doing that and christian telavagelists preaching hatred aganst anyone other religion.

Everyone faces persecution in the world. No matter what religion. If you think being a christian in America is bad, try being another religion, such as being Hindu, Pagan, or a follower of the LHP. Christians are the majority in America, they face much less persecution than any other religion here.
Or try being an atheist; I cant even explain how much hatred from Christians that Atheists receive, such as christians harrassing the Atheist with things like "YOUR GOING TO HELLL CUZZ UR NOT A CHRISTIAN!!!" Try dealing with that, as well as other things on a daily basis.

And as far as the whole "taking the bible text out of context thing"....exactly what context makes the killing of babies right? Thats not the only thing, but also verses endorsing slavery, subjugation of women, advocacy for rape, etc. Oh and that little incident with Sodom and Gomorrah, what context makes it right to kill all those people there?

Christians face far, far less persectution than other religions.

Upvote 0

Aleksander

Working Class Hero
May 1, 2008
✟15,134.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
On no! Someone is practicing their first amendment right to beleive what they want and deny the christian faith on youtube! Someone get the pitchforks and torches!
(note the sarcasm)

If the guy wants (whats his name by the way, because there are probably a million people who do that on youtube) to preach what he beleives, then let him. I dont see any differance between him doing that and christian telavagelists preaching hatred aganst anyone other religion.

Everyone faces persecution in the world. No matter what religion. If you think being a christian in America is bad, try being another religion, such as being Hindu, Pagan, or a follower of the LHP. Christians are the majority in America, they face much less persecution than any other religion here.
Or try being an atheist; I cant even explain how much hatred from Christians that Atheists receive, such as christians harrassing the Atheist with things like "YOUR GOING TO HELLL CUZZ UR NOT A CHRISTIAN!!!" Try dealing with that, as well as other things on a daily basis.

And as far as the whole "taking the bible text out of context thing"....exactly what context makes the killing of babies right? Thats not the only thing, but also verses endorsing slavery, subjugation of women, advocacy for rape, etc. Oh and that little incident with Sodom and Gomorrah, what context makes it right to kill all those people there?

Couldn't agree more. And not that I'm accusing anyone, but christians in the past have done some persecution twords others. I'm not even talking about the inquisition, I mean more recently, such as people like Anton LaVey who got death threats, and even today Atheists like Richard Dawkins get the same treatment. Nobody is threatening to have you killed for your beleifs, they're just bugging you. Not everyone is a bundle of joy, that's life.

Upvote 0
E

everready

1 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.
2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,
4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;
5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
6 For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts,
7 Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.
8 Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith.
9 But they shall proceed no further: for their folly shall be manifest unto all men, as theirs also was.
10 But thou hast fully known my doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, charity, patience,
11 Persecutions, afflictions, which came unto me at Antioch, at Iconium, at Lystra; what persecutions I endured: but out of them all the Lord delivered me.
12 Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.

Try living like Christ for just one day, believe me it will change the way you think I assure you. I being in a wheelchair had a man foaming at the mouth throw his fist at me but the Lord stopped it 6" from my face, you could hear a smack as the Lords hand met his.

Thanks,
hogndog

Upvote 0

Duo

May 1, 2008
✟15,124.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
In Relationship
Try living like Christ for just one day, believe me it will change the way you think I assure you. I being in a wheelchair had a man foaming at the mouth throw his fist at me but the Lord stopped it 6" from my face, you could hear a smack as the Lords hand met his.

Thanks,
hogndog

Thanks, but no thanks. Id rather not live like Christ.
Reasons Why? Ill explain

"The next day..., Jesus was hungry. Seeing in the distance a fig tree
in leaf, he went to find out if it had any fruit. When he reached it,
he found nothing but leaves, because it was not the season for figs.
Then he said to the tree, "May no one ever eat fruit from you again."
... In the morning..., they saw the fig tree withered from the roots.
Peter ... said to Jesus, "Rabbi, look! The fig tree ... has withered!"
Mark 11:12-14, 20-21

(Why in the world did jesus go looking for figs in the season trees did not bear figs? If he is the lord, should he have not known that it was not fig season, and not looked for them? Second, dont you think it kind of immature and selfish to curse a tree to never bear any fruit because it didnt have any when you wanted it?)

21Leaving that place, Jesus withdrew to the region of Tyre and Sidon. 22A Canaanite woman from that vicinity came to him, crying out, "Lord, Son of David, have mercy on me! My daughter is suffering terribly from demon-possession."
23Jesus did not answer a word. So his disciples came to him and urged him, "Send her away, for she keeps crying out after us."
24He answered, "I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel."
25The woman came and knelt before him. "Lord, help me!" she said.
26He replied, "It is not right to take the children's bread and toss it to their dogs."
27"Yes, Lord," she said, "but even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their masters' table." 28Then Jesus answered, "Woman, you have great faith! Your request is granted." And her daughter was healed from that very hour.

(So, because this woman was a Gentile, she was denied the health of her daughter. The reason for this, is because jesus only helped the jews. Thats kind of selfish, dont you think? Yes, eventually he did help the woman, but not after making her stay and beg for it.)

There are more, but I dont think I need more than two examples.

Oh, and for the record, I have tried "being like christ". Im an ex-christian, but I left that faith when I was ten years old. And I dont plan on going back to it either.

Upvote 0

Morrigu

Apr 12, 2008
Where am I? at 22, and seeking a goal for my life
✟15,358.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
1 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.
2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,
4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;
5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
6 For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts,
7 Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.
8 Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith.
9 But they shall proceed no further: for their folly shall be manifest unto all men, as theirs also was.
10 But thou hast fully known my doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, charity, patience,
11 Persecutions, afflictions, which came unto me at Antioch, at Iconium, at Lystra; what persecutions I endured: but out of them all the Lord delivered me.
12 Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.

Thanks,
hogndog

The more I read from that book the more i am convinced tat it was written for the times in ancient Rome when christians were REALLY persecuted, as in hunted and killed, tortured....

Upvote 0

Duo

May 1, 2008
✟15,124.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
In Relationship
The more I read from that book the more i am convinced tat it was written for the times in ancient Rome when christians were REALLY persecuted, as in hunted and killed, tortured....

Kind of like how pagans, scientists, or anyone considered to be a heretic was killed, hung, burned, or stoned, among other things, during the Inquisition. Except much, much worse. But no one seems to care about them do they?

Upvote 0

Aleksander

Working Class Hero
May 1, 2008
✟15,134.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Kind of like how pagans, scientists, or anyone considered to be a heretic was killed, hung, burned, or stoned, among other things, during the Inquisition. Except much, much worse. But no one seems to care about them do they?

Indeed, most of the people who were making real steps forward were persecuted. Imagine what Galileo could have accomplished if he didn't have the catholic church threatening to kill him if he made any more progress.

Upvote 0

Morrigu

Apr 12, 2008
Where am I? at 22, and seeking a goal for my life
✟15,358.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

Pretty much, except then the catholics got power and then forgot what it wsa like to be persecuted.

And now:

"HELP ME, HELP ME, I'M BEING OPRESED!!!!" said the christian from his quiet and comfortable room, while accesing the internet after a nice day.

Upvote 0

Shadrach76

Mar 27, 2008
The Federal City (Washington D.C.)
✟7,666.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
i have seen many youtube videos that expose awful actions in the bible. the attacks are directed at the book itself and not christians.

i feel the same way, some stories in that book are violent and immoral. this doesnt mean i hate christians or blame them for those acts, i dont. no one alive today was involved in those stories and nobody is to blame.

another important point i want to make is this is a country that allows every single person to speak their mind. the same right that allows you to preach about the teachings of the bible also allows people to teach about the horrors of it.

isnt it great!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SolitarySoul

All Truth is God's Truth
Jan 8, 2006
Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
✟18,087.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Constitution
(note the sarcasm)

You should have read the date before replying, my friend. This thread is very old, and I was in a bad mood and I admit being quite silly at the time lol. I would no longer stand by what I said in the OP specifically. Although, I do receive a lot of nasty responses, including a death threat (mostly from Muslims) every once in a blue moon. It happens.

The straw men arguments you present don't help your case either. I'm sorry if you think Christians have shown hatred toward you. But the fact of the matter is, they don't hate you, or they aren't Christians. That's basically an oxymoron, in fact, almost a contradiction in terms, considering what the word "Christian" actually means.

I certainly don't know of any Christians who yell at other people telling them they're going to hell. There's nothing wrong with talking about hell - it's necessary - to warn people. Considering that the Bible teaches it, and that the Bible being true is a very well justified belief, it is certainly necessary to bring the issue up, to help people realize that truth for their own good so that they may come to faith as well.

As for your last comment, I recommend doing some research before making claims. You talk as though you think I'm just being ridiculous yet you clearly aren't aware of the simple facts. In third world countries more Christians have died for their faith in the last 100 years than in the past 20 centuries combined. Approximately 150,000 Christians are martyred a year, and although persecution of Christians in America is rare compared to most of the world, it is in fact on the rise. You can find more info at Christian Solidarity International. It's also ironic that you make your sarcastic remark about free speech without first checking the facts, because there are more and more cases these days where Christians and their beliefs are suppressed. What's ironic about your remark is that people are becoming so obsessed with separation of church and state that they are going beyond that issue and violating the free speech rights of some Christian groups.

It's very much the truth, and I'm sure you'd realize that if you just consider it from a more honest perspective. I know of children who have been humiliated in front of their classmates because their teachers were annoyed by the fact that they were the children of pastors. Just recently a Christian group was asked to leave a public library for quoting the Bible in a public place. Was the first comment you made not regarding free speech? When I was a kid I myself was attacked in a bathroom alone at school by an individual who attempted to choke me. There have been cases where police have ordered people to stop sharing their faith or handing out gospel tracts. Again, free speech. Just a few examples.

Of course that's nothing compared to the thousands of people in Sudan, Iraq, Asia and elsewhere that are being massacred or driven away from their homes. And I never said it even compares. But the fact of the matter is your assertion that Christians are not persecuted as much as those of other religions or lack of, even in America, is simply flat out false. All we have to do is look at the facts.

I also suggest you be sure you understand the point of a thread before making a response, especially if its going to be a critical one. I was essentially only asking for prayer, because I know it's going to get worse. I'm not sitting here complaining about it. I'm right out there in the middle of it. I strike up (polite) discussions with people all the time regarding Christianity, knowing full well that some of them are going to hate me for it. I can't walk across the local university campus without getting looks because of the reputation I've gained. And what have I done "wrong"? Simply share my faith; and there's nothing at all aggressive about that. As you said, I have the right to express my beliefs just as everyone else does. But that's not the point. I fully accept the kind of responses I get because I know it's going to happen. I was only asking for prayer while being out there.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
In third world countries more Christians have died for their faith in the last 100 years than in the past 20 centuries combined. Approximately 150,000 Christians are martyred a year

That's in the third-world. Not in the US.

although persecution of Christians in America is rare compared to most of the world, it is in fact on the rise.

Rare? It's non-existent!

Christians and their beliefs are suppressed.

Please stop...you're breaking my heart. Christians have the ability to gather together, to worship freely, to evangelize, to write books about theology, to read and study the Bible, to pray freely, to express their beliefs, to work for the government, etc etc, but clearly, Christians are being suppressed in this country!

people are becoming so obsessed with separation of church and state that they are going beyond that issue and violating the free speech rights of some Christian groups.

That's not true. We have just the right amount of separation between church and state in this country.

I know of children who have been humiliated in front of their classmates because their teachers were annoyed by the fact that they were the children of pastors.

Teasing and bullying is unfortunate, but it isn't persecution. I'm sure that if it were possible to talk to Christians who were violently suppressed by the Roman government and burned as live torches, they'd laugh at the idea that a little bit of teasing in school is "persecution".

Just recently a Christian group was asked to leave a public library for quoting the Bible in a public place.

If that actually happened (I have my doubts), whoever told the group to leave was wrong. But it's still not persecution. And such situations are usually dependent on what actually takes place.

Of course that's nothing compared to the thousands of people in Sudan, Iraq, Asia and elsewhere that are being massacred or driven away from their homes.

That's real persecution - something American Christians haven't known, don't know, and won't know in a religiously free country such as ours.

even in America

I agree with you that Christians are being persecuted around the world, but it's simply not happening in the US. Period. And claims of persecution in a country where Christianity has been allowed to freely thrive and grow is irresponsible. It devalues the real persecution that Christians are experiencing around the world.
Ringo

Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

SolitarySoul

All Truth is God's Truth
Jan 8, 2006
Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
✟18,087.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Constitution
I suggest we do some reading if you guys want to whine about this. You can sit here and repeat these claims all you want, but you're simply ignorant of the facts, as well as the definition of the word 'persecute'.

From Dictionary.com:

per·se·cute

1.to pursue with harassing or oppressive treatment, esp. because of religion, race, or beliefs; harass persistently.
2.to annoy or trouble persistently.

Upvote 0

Aleksander

Working Class Hero
May 1, 2008
✟15,134.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
You should have read the date before replying, my friend. This thread is very old, and I was in a bad mood and I admit being quite silly at the time lol. I would no longer stand by what I said in the OP specifically. Although, I do receive a lot of nasty responses, including a death threat (mostly from Muslims) every once in a blue moon. It happens.

The straw men arguments you present don't help your case either. I'm sorry if you think Christians have shown hatred toward you. But the fact of the matter is, they don't hate you, or they aren't Christians. That's basically an oxymoron, in fact, almost a contradiction in terms, considering what the word "Christian" actually means.

I certainly don't know of any Christians who yell at other people telling them they're going to hell. There's nothing wrong with talking about hell - it's necessary - to warn people. Considering that the Bible teaches it, and that the Bible being true is a very well justified belief, it is certainly necessary to bring the issue up, to help people realize that truth for their own good so that they may come to faith as well.

As for your last comment, I recommend doing some research before making claims. You talk as though you think I'm just being ridiculous yet you clearly aren't aware of the simple facts. In third world countries more Christians have died for their faith in the last 100 years than in the past 20 centuries combined. Approximately 150,000 Christians are martyred a year, and although persecution of Christians in America is rare compared to most of the world, it is in fact on the rise. You can find more info at (removed, I don'ty have enough posts). It's also ironic that you make your sarcastic remark about free speech without first checking the facts, because there are more and more cases these days where Christians and their beliefs are suppressed. What's ironic about your remark is that people are becoming so obsessed with separation of church and state that they are going beyond that issue and violating the free speech rights of some Christian groups.

It's very much the truth, and I'm sure you'd realize that if you just consider it from a more honest perspective. I know of children who have been humiliated in front of their classmates because their teachers were annoyed by the fact that they were the children of pastors. Just recently a Christian group was asked to leave a public library for quoting the Bible in a public place. Was the first comment you made not regarding free speech? When I was a kid I myself was attacked in a bathroom alone at school by an individual who attempted to choke me. There have been cases where police have ordered people to stop sharing their faith or handing out gospel tracts. Again, free speech. Just a few examples.

Of course that's nothing compared to the thousands of people in Sudan, Iraq, Asia and elsewhere that are being massacred or driven away from their homes. And I never said it even compares. But the fact of the matter is your assertion that Christians are not persecuted as much as those of other religions or lack of, even in America, is simply flat out false. All we have to do is look at the facts.

I also suggest you be sure you understand the point of a thread before making a response, especially if its going to be a critical one. I was essentially only asking for prayer, because I know it's going to get worse. I'm not sitting here complaining about it. I'm right out there in the middle of it. I strike up (polite) discussions with people all the time regarding Christianity, knowing full well that some of them are going to hate me for it. I can't walk across the local university campus without getting looks because of the reputation I've gained. And what have I done "wrong"? Simply share my faith; and there's nothing at all aggressive about that. As you said, I have the right to express my beliefs just as everyone else does. But that's not the point. I fully accept the kind of responses I get because I know it's going to happen. I was only asking for prayer while being out there.

You haven't been persecuted, you've simply been harassed. Persecution is what the christians have done to people during the inquisition. Oh and I might add that some of these same people who argue about christian supression in america are doing the exact same thing to people of other faiths in this county.

And if those people that get kicked out of libraries and such, you know libraries are supposed to be a place where intelligent people go to study in a QUIET enviorment, without a bunch of christians thumping on a bible and protesting gay marriage. People are trying to read.

And whereever it is that people are getting arrested for handing out tracts and such, they must be breaking the law there. Maybe you need a permit to do that or something? I sure wish I could have those people who come to my door on saturdays when I'm busy arrested.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.