Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's tempting to make this a tutorial but I'd rather it be a testimonial, so I'll endeavor to keep it that way.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Not very long after my conversion back in 1968, I ran across a passage in the New Testament that caused me some anxiety. It goes like this:

"You are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his." (Rom 8:9)

It seemed reasonable to me that if the Spirit of Christ was actually inside my body, I should be able to detect His presence. I mean, how could somebody like that possibly be in there without my knowing it?

When I shared my concern with a pastor whom I had come to trust, he reminded me that the Spirit of Christ is a paranormal being consisting of something less than thin air, and that as such can move about imperceptible to the five natural senses, viz: hearing, sight, taste, touch, and/or smell.

So, he steered me away from empirical evidence and instead turned my attention towards scriptural evidence. He said-- in so many words --if it's true that Christ's sheep have his spirit, and you can prove yourself to be Christ's sheep, then you've proven yourself to have his spirit.

( Euclid couldn't have said it better )
_

Reactions: Lost4words

Aussie Pete

Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,030.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
It's tempting to make this a tutorial but I'd rather it be a testimonial, so I'll endeavor to keep it that way.

Not very long after my conversion back in 1968, I ran across a passage in the New Testament that caused me some anxiety. It goes like this:

"You are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his." (Rom 8:9)

It seemed reasonable to me that if the Spirit of Christ was actually inside my body, I should be able to detect His presence. I mean, how could somebody like that possibly be in there without my knowing it?

When I shared my concern with a pastor whom I had come to trust, he reminded me that the Spirit of Christ is a paranormal being consisting of something less than thin air, and that as such can move about imperceptible to the five natural senses, viz: hearing, sight, taste, touch, and/or smell.

So, he steered me away from empirical evidence and instead turned my attention towards scriptural evidence. He said-- in so many words --if it's true that Christ's sheep have his spirit, and you can prove yourself to be Christ's sheep, then you've proven yourself to have his spirit.

_
One of the fundamental tests is our attitude to other Christians. 1 John 3:14

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

I'm back
Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟676,936.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

_

Ultimately, there's only 1 proof, and it's singular. Are you trusting in Christ alone for your salvation, or are you trusting in the work of your hands.

The scriptural depiction of the perfect Christian is just that, the perfect exemplar, of which we all fall short in varying areas. This is a walk, a journey which perfects us, we arent born again perfect... we enter into the journey of sanctification when we have faith in the work of Christ for our salvation and accept His Lordship over our lives.

So ultimately, it all boils down to that 1 thing, and 1 thing alone - are we trusting in Christ alone for our salvation? When we are, God's Spirit testifies to our spirit that we are the sons of God, and we have peace.

Upvote 0