Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I know we are supposed to "rejoice always", but sometimes a post just makes me sad or angry. I often don't like to speak up so would it be possible or wise to have a sad or angry emoticon (I am old. Is emoticon even used anymore??) for this purpose?

• Agree
Reactions: Yennora

Yennora

2022 UPDATE: I regret any UNBIBLICAL posts I made.
Dec 31, 2016
Sydney
✟56,269.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I was just thinking of the ratings yesterday and I thought we need a "disagree" rating. Really, it will save a lot of time and prevent many debates in my honest opinion. I add my voice to yours. We need ratings to object. We are humans and the "all-positive all-bright" reaction thing doesn't work.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟768,102.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I will like to hear other opinions, but IMO, this will only lead to more issues with people. In general, people do not change their minds based on internet discussions. I try and think "will my reply really matter?" usually it does not, and a rating that shows you are mad or disagree will only goad someone. If we can't say something nice, often it is best to just ignore it.

Upvote 0

Yennora

Dec 31, 2016
Sydney
✟56,269.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I will like to hear other opinions, but IMO, this will only lead to more issues with people. In general, people do not change their minds based on internet discussions. I try and think "will my reply really matter?" usually it does not, and a rating that shows you are mad or disagree will only goad someone. If we can't say something nice, often it is best to just ignore it.

I need to disagree.

Let us go to the scenario where a member is talking about how he/she is being a victim of domestic abuse. And then a member replies first with "Well, you have to deal with it and be forgiving and accept more abuse".

If I'm busy and I cannot reply at the moment. I will need to throw a strong disagree rating on that post lest the OP gets discouraged.

Reactions: JustRachel
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟426,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
For sad or angry, there are these already:

:(:mad:

For disagreement, you just have to either eat it or tell the person "I don't agree" and then ignore them if you don't want to continue the conversation further. Probably a "disagreement" button wouldn't been as Christian (i.e. 'nice') by some people, so it's less likely to happen.

I personally like this guy when I can't believe that someone would type such a thing as whatever I'm reacting to: :doh:

Or this for "I'm unconvinced/unimpressed by what you just posted" or "I don't really care to get into an argument with someone who posts nonsense like you just did": :|

Reactions: JustRachel
Upvote 0

JustRachel

He welcomed me back! <3
Supporter
Aug 12, 2007
Right here
✟325,328.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You maybe be right. The post that prompted this thread was about abortion and it made me sad. I try not to speak much in the Catholic forum. Just an example where it could be useful.

• Agree
Reactions: Yennora
Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I know we are supposed to "rejoice always", but sometimes a post just makes me sad or angry. I often don't like to speak up so would it be possible or wise to have a sad or angry emoticon (I am old. Is emoticon even used anymore??) for this purpose?
How about this approach:

Chew the meat, and spit out the bones.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟981,569.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
I agree with Tampasteve on this. There's enough snark in this Forum without adding a negative emoticon.

I also think that, if you disagree, the onus is on you to explain why. A 'disagree' icon is a thoughtless way out.
OB

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,938.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
In our rules we have this:

NO Goading. This includes images, cartoons, smileys or post ratings which are clearly meant to goad.

Even though there are standard smilies you have to be careful how you use them. If they are used to show dislike for a post it could be considered goading and might incur a warning.

• Agree
Reactions: St. Helens
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟768,102.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Please delete this thread now.
We can do so, but it needs to be "reported" per staff protocol. Since it was your thread simply "report" one of your posts and ask for the thread to be deleted. :)

Upvote 0

Yennora

Dec 31, 2016
Sydney
✟56,269.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
In our rules we have this:

NO Goading. This includes images, cartoons, smileys or post ratings which are clearly meant to goad.

Even though there are standard smilies you have to be careful how you use them. If they are used to show dislike for a post it could be considered goading and might incur a warning.

I don't quite get it. The Ethics & Morality forums are full of goading. And the worst part is that; Since the members cannot use ratings to disagree, they simply express their goading in words which heatens up the debates even more.

Also goading =/= disagreeing.

Ignoring what we disagree with is not sufficient. If constitutions were written this way we would have lived in a forest. Christian Forums were and are a shelter for many abuse victims and many confused people.

Those people don't want to see debates and trillions of words on their threads. They want to see direct solutions! And if a solution doesn't work or is inhuman then we need to throw a disagree rating on it so the OP simply sees that this opinion is false and not to be followed.

We need this mostly when we are busy and cannot write a reply in the current time.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟768,102.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't quite get it. The Ethics & Morality forums are full of goading. And the worst part is that; Since the members cannot use ratings to disagree, they simply express their goading in words which heatens up the debates even more.

Then please report these posts/ratings so Staff can look into it. We do not police the forums, overall. We are all volunteers but if a post/rating is reported we look into it and take action.

Upvote 0