• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Ratings emoticons

Discussion in 'Suggest New Forums' started by JustRachel, Jul 10, 2019.

1. JustRachel

JustRachel He welcomed me back! <3 Supporter

+448
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    I know we are supposed to "rejoice always", but sometimes a post just makes me sad or angry. I often don't like to speak up so would it be possible or wise to have a sad or angry emoticon (I am old. Is emoticon even used anymore??) for this purpose?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Yennora

Yennora Buy the truth and sell it not. Pro 23:23

+319
    Australia
    Non-Denom
    Single
    I was just thinking of the ratings yesterday and I thought we need a "disagree" rating. Really, it will save a lot of time and prevent many debates in my honest opinion. I add my voice to yours. We need ratings to object. We are humans and the "all-positive all-bright" reaction thing doesn't work.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. tampasteve

tampasteve Lutheran Staff Member Purple Team - Moderator Supporter

+2,070
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Constitution
    I will like to hear other opinions, but IMO, this will only lead to more issues with people. In general, people do not change their minds based on internet discussions. I try and think "will my reply really matter?" usually it does not, and a rating that shows you are mad or disagree will only goad someone. If we can't say something nice, often it is best to just ignore it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. Yennora

+319
    Australia
    Non-Denom
    Single
    I need to disagree.

Let us go to the scenario where a member is talking about how he/she is being a victim of domestic abuse. And then a member replies first with "Well, you have to deal with it and be forgiving and accept more abuse".

If I'm busy and I cannot reply at the moment. I will need to throw a strong disagree rating on that post lest the OP gets discouraged.

5. dzheremi

dzheremi Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian

+6,880
    Oriental Orthodox
    Private
    For sad or angry, there are these already:

:(:mad:

For disagreement, you just have to either eat it or tell the person "I don't agree" and then ignore them if you don't want to continue the conversation further. Probably a "disagreement" button wouldn't been as Christian (i.e. 'nice') by some people, so it's less likely to happen.

I personally like this guy when I can't believe that someone would type such a thing as whatever I'm reacting to: :doh:

Or this for "I'm unconvinced/unimpressed by what you just posted" or "I don't really care to get into an argument with someone who posts nonsense like you just did": :|

6. JustRachel

+448
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    You maybe be right. The post that prompted this thread was about abortion and it made me sad. I try not to speak much in the Catholic forum. Just an example where it could be useful.

7. JacobKStarkey

JacobKStarkey Well-Known Member

+698
    United States
    Methodist
    Married
    Yennora, I think most veteran posters over the past 20 years will agree with tampasteve.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. Monk Brendan

Monk Brendan Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,705
    United States
    Melkite Catholic
    Private
    US-Others
    How about this approach:

Chew the meat, and spit out the bones.

9. Occams Barber

Occams Barber Newbie Supporter

+1,874
    Australia
    Atheist
    Divorced
    I agree with Tampasteve on this. There's enough snark in this Forum without adding a negative emoticon.

I also think that, if you disagree, the onus is on you to explain why. A 'disagree' icon is a thoughtless way out.
    OB

10. Lulav

Lulav The LORD is my Shepherd Staff Member Administrator CF Staff Trainer Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+6,113
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    In our rules we have this:

NO Goading. This includes images, cartoons, smileys or post ratings which are clearly meant to goad.

Even though there are standard smilies you have to be careful how you use them. If they are used to show dislike for a post it could be considered goading and might incur a warning.

11. JustRachel

+448
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    Well, I wasn't intending to be snarky on posts at all. I can understand how some folks might be. I understand that it would be a problem. Thanks for the input. Please delete this thread now.

12. tampasteve

+2,070
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Constitution
    We can do so, but it needs to be "reported" per staff protocol. Since it was your thread simply "report" one of your posts and ask for the thread to be deleted. :)

13. Yennora

+319
    Australia
    Non-Denom
    Single
    I don't quite get it. The Ethics & Morality forums are full of goading. And the worst part is that; Since the members cannot use ratings to disagree, they simply express their goading in words which heatens up the debates even more.

Also goading =/= disagreeing.

Ignoring what we disagree with is not sufficient. If constitutions were written this way we would have lived in a forest. Christian Forums were and are a shelter for many abuse victims and many confused people.

Those people don't want to see debates and trillions of words on their threads. They want to see direct solutions! And if a solution doesn't work or is inhuman then we need to throw a disagree rating on it so the OP simply sees that this opinion is false and not to be followed.

We need this mostly when we are busy and cannot write a reply in the current time.

14. tampasteve

+2,070
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Constitution
    Then please report these posts/ratings so Staff can look into it. We do not police the forums, overall. We are all volunteers but if a post/rating is reported we look into it and take action.