rather baffled in this verse Matthew 11:19

Status
Not open for further replies.
"the son of man came eating and drinking and they say, ' here is a glutton and a drunkard., a friend of tax collectors and "sinners,"' But wisdom is proved right by her actions."

What or who is this HER they speak of. i am lost can someone who understand the text more then myself please help me with this?

I am reading from the NIV copyright 1986.

NM, i had not heard of wisdom being referd to as a her befor.

Blackhawk

Monkey Boy
Feb 5, 2002
Ft. Worth, tx
Visit site
✟22,925.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think it is wisdom also. I think it is saying basically that the wise are proven right by their actions. That things that are wise are proven to be wise because of actions. How do I know that you are wise? Because of your action of asking questions. That is what I think.

blackhaw

Upvote 0

Josephus

<b>Co-Founder Christian Forums</b>
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2000
Kerbal Space Center
✟150,343.00
Faith
Messianic
In Hebrew, there is only male and female words, no neuter words. The word wisdom in Hebrew and Greek for that matter are both feminine. Wheras we say "Wisdom is proved by its actions" the Hebrew or Greek person would say "Wisdom is proved by her actions."

Upvote 0
J

Joshuas Journal

Check out Luke 7:34-35 first... (that's where the note for Matthew 11:19 sent me in my NIV study bible) It's describing the same situation as in Matthew.

"The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and you say, "Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and "sinners." But wisdom is proved right by all her children."

The NIV's commentary has this to say... (and I agree with it)- "In contrast to the rejection by foolish critics, spiritually wise persons could see that the ministries of both John and Jesus were godly, despite their differences..."

Basicaly... stating that "foolish critics" would find fault with anything... and basicaly proved themselves to be hypocrites for faulting John for NOT eating and drinking... and at the same time finding fault with Jesus FOR eating and drinking, (as opposed to holding to some type of life-long fast like John did).

I checked out the greek text... and that "proved right" that the NIV uses in both Matthew and Luke is translated from a word that has to do with being "justified, holy, righteous..." And it also has to do with the ACTION of these things... being RENDERED or SHOWN TO BE justified, holy, righteous, ect... In other words, not only is God's wisdom "justified, holy, and righteous"... higher than our ways... but His wisdom will also be SHOWN to be "justified, holy, and righteous" through His children... (In this case, John and Jesus, in two different ways.)

As a side note... this makes me think of Ephesians 3:10... one of my favorite verses. = ) "His intent was that now, through the church, the manifold wisdom of God should be made known to the rulers and authorities in the heavenly realms..." In other words... God wants to do with us, the church, exactly what He did with Job... (even though Job didn't know what was happening...) God pointed Job out to Satan... basicaly saying "Have you seen what I can do with this lowly man, if He submits to me..." He was showing off His "manifold wisdom"... His own glory... through Job. The same thing was happening with John the Baptist and with Jesus as well... God wants to use all His children to prove His wisdom and show off His glory and "manifold wisdom" (meaning it's perfect no matter what angle you look at it from, like a diamond that's been cut with many sides).

Hope I didn't ramble too much = ) Really good study you got me into though! HAHA! God bless... = )

In Christ Jesus,
~ Joshua
www.christianity.com/joshuas_journal

Upvote 0

Thunderchild

Sheep in Wolf's clothing
Jan 5, 2002
Adelaide
Visit site
✟3,180.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Correct.

Wisdom is presented quite often presented as a woman with a number of virtuous characteristics - as if she is (now I have done it - LOL) a real person.

You will be familiar with the custom of characterising death as a skeleton in cowled cloak and bearing a scythe.

These are both examples of "anthropomorphic representation." anthropos = human morphic = form. representing as if in human form

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.