Rarely go to church due to Hypocrisy in the church, even though I am a Christian

Pope66

Dec 5, 2018
Sydney
✟33,699.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello Pope. I was out of church for a year in 2008 due to some bad experiences. When I found a church (the last I expected) I came with a new attitude. It's not all about what I could get out of it, but what I could do to serve the Kingdom of God and to help others. In humility putting the needs of others above our own. Of course there will always be bad experiences, some churchgoers are sheep, some are wolves in sheep's clothing, but there is always someone worse off than you, someone only you can reach, someone only you can help. Serve the Lord with gladness. Going with a new attitude you can get so much more out of it. God Bless :)
Thank you for sharing. I do reach out to others to people worse off than me and even befriend people that are oucast of society.

That is great that you have found a new church and it is going well with you. I used to invite a lot of my unsaved friends from church too, and used to share a lot about Jesus to unsaved friends too. yet I not done it for some years now.

Sure I may have been rejected by a church I used to go to, being told I am destined for hell by another Christian Pastor because I support a political left wing organisaiton. Yet for an a Christian that is loved by the Lord Jesus, even though I am not perfect and have flaws. It does not matter what people think of me or what they say but what is more important is what the Lord thinks of me.

Reactions: lismore
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
If a pastor knows Scripture truthfully, and is obeying the Father by grace in Jesus Christ, he can tell his congregants what the Lord thinks of them and what the Lord thinks of what they do.

For one simple example, then,
If anyone trusts in the flesh (in mankind/ man's ways), then Yahuweh in His Word (the Bible), says HE (the Creator of All Life everywhere) curses them.
Any 'good' obedient faithful pastor knows this and should also warn anyone of the consequences of trusting in the flesh.

Upvote 0

iLearn

Jul 12, 2019
Sabah
✟14,765.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
People who are gay did not choose their sexuality
It's a mental sickness, similar to those who prefer a child over an adult, or who prefer animals. You can't force people to accept them as normal. It is not my choice to have a natural tendency to feel disgusted about such things. DO not judge people like me who only want normalcy in my life. I am born to feel that way.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is it wrong with that not wanting to go to church but still a Christian? Can you be a Christian and still not wanting to go to Church?
Sounds like you need to deal with your own sin and transgressions. Far to often people are judgmental of others but they are not so quick to judge themselves. To those that are without sin all seems to be pure and clean. Of course we are not to approve of sin in others. As Paul says love will: "will hardly even notice when others do it wrong". Seems a bit unusual you want to approve of "homosexual" sin but you want to disapprove of some other kinds of sin that seems to be an issue to you. Sin is sin and while we do not approve we hardly notice the sin in others when we ourselves are pure and clean, holy and sanctified before God. Also sometimes when we do notice that people are having issues it is so we can pray for them and help them with their burdons as we want people to help us with the things we need to overcome. Instead of judging them we should be praying for them that God will give them the strength and the grace they need to overcome and live right before Him.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I rarely go to church these days and it has been over 2 years since I used to go to church every Sunday. I used to really love church but really put off with the hypocrisy, arrogance and judgmental behavior of many, many Christians out there. I am still hurt to this day due to this.

I am also so over the US vs them mentality of Christians, and seeing unbelievers, or people with different cultures as the enemy. I do not believe those that are not Christian, and being gay, atheist, liberals or Muslim are the enemy, or if they are a different race, they are inferior.

People who are gay did not choose their sexuality and if you asked them at one point in their life especially when growing up they wish they were straight, and I am sure many people out there have become atheists have became that way on the hypocrisy the judgmental behaviour of Christians they encounter. BTW Muslim people were born into the faith because their community and family are Muslims and a vast majority of Muslims are not terrorists.

Jesus loves not just Christians but all unbelievers. I am so sick of people of faith mock and condemn gays, atheists, Muslims and Liberals because they do not share their worldview. That is not showing love to them by mock or condemn people. I usually prefer my Sunday's not going to church. I of course read the bible every day, regularly pray and even listen to sermons on TV and online.

Is it wrong with that not wanting to go to church but still a Christian? Can you be a Christian and still not wanting to go to Church?
There is a great deal wrong with what is called church these days. For a start around 95% of church attenders are not born again. They are Christians in name only. You say people of faith. I wonder. I left the denominational scene decades ago and I belong to a home based fellowship. It is essential for Christians to meet together. It's like a lump of coal in the fire. As long as it is in the fire, it says hot and bright. Take it out and it grows cold.

I have to take issue with you over your understanding of unbelievers. They are ALL, without exception, hostile and at enmity with God. Picking on one unbelieving group is unhelpful, I agree. However, there is a great deal that homosexuals and Muslims bring on themselves. Homosexuality used to be the love that dare not speak its name. Now you can't get it to shut up. Not all Muslims are terrorists, but just try being a Christian in a majority Muslim country. If you don't get murdered, you will be treated like dirt.

God does not differentiate different sins. Sin is sin. Some sins have greater consequences than others. If you are born again and believe God's word, you might remember this passage:

2 Thessalonians 1: 3-10
3We ought always to give thanks to God for you, brethren, as is only fitting, because your faith is greatly enlarged, and the love of each one of you toward one another grows ever greater; 4therefore, we ourselves speak proudly of you among the churches of God for your perseverance and faith in the midst of all your persecutions and afflictions which you endure. 5This is a plain indication of God’s righteous judgment so that you will be considered worthy of the kingdom of God, for which indeed you are suffering. 6For after all it is only just for God to repay with affliction those who afflict you, 7and to give relief to you who are afflicted and to us as well when the Lord Jesus will be revealed from heaven with His mighty angels in flaming fire, 8dealing out retribution to those who do not know God and to those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. 9These will pay the penalty of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power, 10when He comes to be glorified in His saints on that day, and to be marvelled at among all who have believed......

The gospel is not just a nice philosophy or world view. It is a command to be obeyed. As in the Garden of Eden, disobedience has consequences. None of those consequences are something to look forward to. Homosexuality is the ultimate expression of rebellion against God. I had a lot to do with gays decades ago. A good friend of mine succumbed to AIDS after he migrated to the USA. A surprising number had a Christian upbringing and rebelled.

The gospel is not about enabling sinners to get into heaven. It is about freeing sinners from the bondages that imprison them. Homosexuals can be delivered. No one has to remain a thief or an adulterer. Liars can become truthful and slaves to sinful lusts set free. That is what the real church does.

Upvote 0

Romans 8

Site Supporter
Feb 16, 2019
Canada
✟137,253.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I rarely go to church these days and it has been over 2 years since I used to go to church every Sunday. I used to really love church but really put off with the hypocrisy, arrogance and judgmental behavior of many, many Christians out there. I am still hurt to this day due to this.

One doesn't need to look hard to find issues with any church or its members. The difficulty is sticking with a church and loving the members despite their faults (whether real or imagined). If one focuses on the former, one might go from church to church until there are none left. God wants us to attend a real church with real people so we can gauge our own weaknesses, not so much the weaknesses of others.

I am also so over the US vs them mentality of Christians, and seeing unbelievers, or people with different cultures as the enemy. I do not believe those that are not Christian, and being gay, atheist, liberals or Muslim are the enemy, or if they are a different race, they are inferior.

Only God knows what's truly in the minds of others. We can only know what's inside of our own hearts. Better to focus on common beliefs rather than those which may aggravate or offend.

Jesus loves not just Christians but all unbelievers. I am so sick of people of faith mock and condemn gays, atheists, Muslims and Liberals because they do not share their worldview. That is not showing love to them by mock or condemn people. I usually prefer my Sunday's not going to church. I of course read the bible every day, regularly pray and even listen to sermons on TV and online.

Yes, Jesus died for all but God's love for believers is of His children. Unbelievers are not in this category. There is a difference. God does not love believers and unbelievers equally. We are His children and He loves us as such. We are set apart from the rest by our faith:

Romans: 5:1 "Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, bwe1 have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ."

We are commanded to go to church by God. It says so in the Bible.

Eph 10:25 "Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching."

You're not going to hell for not attending but you're not going to grow

• Informative
Reactions: Pope66
Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others

People who are gay did not choose their sexuality and if you asked them at one point in their life especially when growing up they wish they were straight, and I am sure many people out there have become atheists have became that way on the hypocrisy the judgmental behaviour of Christians they encounter. BTW Muslim people were born into the faith because their community and family are Muslims and a vast majority of Muslims are not terrorists.

OK, then---next time you are really sick and need to go to the hospital---please just stand outside and refuse to go in for there are nothing but a bunch of sick people there! All hypocrites, embezzlers, liars and all sinners of every kind belong in church!! That is who church is for!! Christianity is a work in progress----since you have "arrived" at perfection then I guess you no longer need Christ. He is there, and He is there for the sinner. -So you go right ahead and stay away. If you find a church that is full of perfect people who need no Savior---please stay away from them, also----for you would contaminate them!!!

• Informative
Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
People who are gay did not choose their sexuality and if you asked them at one point in their life especially when growing up they wish they were straight, and I am sure many people out there have become atheists have became that way on the hypocrisy the judgmental behaviour of Christians they encounter.
That's a complicated answer and you might want to check with CF I rules to make sure you agree with their stance. But I will say that we neither choose or are born with our sexuality (and that's where it's complicated).

I have a 4 year old and 2 year old and to say either one of them are motivated sexually in anyway would be completly false. They have absolutely no sexual interests and at best they mirror what their environment. So we are not born sexually motivated it is developed through our environment. It is also in error to say we choose it. I do not wake up in in the morning and choose I'm heterosexual, I just am although I can make steps to pivot my sexuality in the moment I cannot choose who I am attracted to.

We live in a fallen world that will force people into labels based on arbitrary characteristics or behaviours, most of which are driven by our social constructs. We also live in places where abuse and other unhealthy environments contribute to this sexual identity. When we hit puberty these feelings take deeper root and are less and less wet cement. whatever the conclusion it is based on many factors and the least of these are what we are born with or what we choose.

We can look at various more universal morals and know that simply because we feel a compulsion to do something doesn't mean it's right. A psychopath may be driven to kill, a pedophile is driven to children. They may not actually act upon these drives but for some people it's a part of their lives and is always there. We justify homosexuality because it is with consenting adults but simply because two people have the same lusts and passion and are consenting is not reason enough to act upon them.

Christ tells us that we must deny our self daily if we want to follow him. "Self" is different for everyone but it is a struggle for everyone. Christ tells us we must surrender it if we are to become his followers. This doesn't mean we necessarily never do it again, but it does mean give it to Christ and wait for him to give it back to you if he wants you to do it. Its under his lead not ours.

Our personal indentity is not what's important but rather our identity in Christ which I know is a counter culture way of thinking. Our drive to our personal identity typically never goes away, we always feel it and for some they may call this being gay. But as we shift our focus to Christ this identity shrinks and although it doesn't go away it no longer is important.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,055.00
Faith
Non-Denom

I read through your grievances with your basic thought being Christians aren't as loving as they should be. Perhaps you should consider that's the very reason you need to go to strengthen the body of Christ in your region to rise above being less than loving. You could be a lighthouse to those around you.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Pope66

Dec 5, 2018
Sydney
✟33,699.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for your replies. Yes no church is perfect and a hospital for sinners. In my experience the Christian leaders I personally know and have atteneded their church who are most outspoken against gay rights and marriage tended to be arragant, and overbearing. One of these so called pastors I confessed very personal problems of mine and wanted his help, but one day he personally attacked me n a very rude way with the private information I shared him with in order to make me feel more worse myself. He only did that because he wanted to break up the friendship.

Another pastor who I used to go for prayers told me off and said he does not have time to spend time with me and pray. It made me fell small. I could go on with the experiences with church leaders yet it will fill a whole book. Yet I leave it there and pray for them.

I of course tried very hard being friends with church leaders but in the end I get up hurt.

Sure fellowship is important with fellow Christians but you also need to guard your heart as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Thanks for your replies. Yes no church is perfect and a hospital for sinners. In my experience the Christian leaders I personally know and have atteneded their church who are most outspoken against gay rights and marriage tended to be arragant, and overbearing. One of these so called pastors I confessed very personal problems of mine and wanted his help, but one day he personally attacked me n a very rude way with the private information I shared him with in order to make me feel more worse myself. He only did that because he wanted to break up the friendship.

Another pastor who I used to go for prayers told me off and said he does not have time to spend time with me and pray. It made me fell small. I could go on with the experiences with church leaders yet it will fill a whole book. Yet I leave it there and pray for them.

I of course tried very hard being friends with church leaders but in the end I get up hurt.

Sure fellowship is important with fellow Christians but you also need to guard your heart as well.

Very true---however, we go to church to worship God---worship of God must come first. We're not there for a social club and sometimes we treat it as such. At the same time, when church leaders are misrepresenting the character of God---which in these cases they are---then we sometimes have to go to another place to worship. But we must forgive and pray that they will have their hearts changed. You do not have to go elsewhere to do that, though. But it would be difficult to stay and pray for them. But maybe that is what was needed---your prayers for them. At some point maybe they would have realized their error and asked your forgiveness.

Upvote 0

ajcarey

Jun 3, 2019
Midwest
✟46,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Well when Jesus encountered the Samaratian woman at the wellshe was an ouctasst in her society and then living with a man she was not married to, and she belonging to aa people that is dispised by the Jews of the day. That Samartain woman of today could be a gay person who wa sdisowned by their higly devout Christia parents or a Muslim refugee. He did not condemn or judge her, bt use that occasion to gently guide her to him.

Meanwhile if you do not like Muslim refugees coming to your countries then stop bombing the hell out of them(eg Iraq). BTW even though Saddam of Iraq was a tyrant, at least the condtions for IRaqi Christians was better than it is today. Sinc the US lead invasion a majority of Christians have fled, as extremist Islamic groups have given fruit in IRaq, which were supressed during Saddam regime.

"Well the Sins of Sodom where more than just only sexual sins: "She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy. were haughty and did detestable things before me."Ezekiel 16:48–50

The woman Jesus spoke to at the well was troubled about her sin and was restless due to a deep spiritual need she was well aware of. She did not defend her sin when Jesus confronted her about it and she patiently listened to the Lord's instruction (He also told her gently that she was wrong not to be worshipping at Jerusalem and being a faithful Jew). Anyone who will be humble enough to listen to godly instruction and be honest when confronted with the Bible's controversy with them ought to be dealt with gently- and until someone acts otherwise there is no need to act otherwise towards them. But when did I say that there was? Why is it implied that I would say one should do otherwise? Would you condemn Jesus as judgmental for bringing up the woman's adultery and telling her that she ought to follow the Jews in worship? The statements He made to her implied she was neither living right nor worshipping right- and that she therefore needed to change. Are you sure you wouldn't have wanted Jesus crucified had you lived in His day with your present mindset?

When did I ever say I didn't want Muslims coming to my country? That is an awfully judgmental assumption on your part. I said that the Islamic world has been trying to invade the west for over a millennium and they are doing it now through immigration. Most Muslim immigrants to the west are not refugees due to US intervention in Iraq or Afghanistan. I still am not against Muslims who are truly refugees coming to my country (through legal channels). It should be noted though that there are plenty of Muslim countries that the USA hasn't been to war with that these supposed refugees are not fleeing to. It's not hard to tell why.

Agreed on Ezekiel 16:48-50. And most every place where homosexuality is open and accepted you will find that those other sins abounded proceeding the acceptance of homosexuality in that particular society; and that they continue to accompany the same societies in their acceptance of it.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
really put off with the hypocrisy, arrogance and judgmental behavior of many, many Christians out there.

I am still hurt to this day due to this.

Sounds like issues we all deal with?

We should be honest and admit to ourselves
I'm no different.

The Church isn't perfect because,
there are people like me there.
Ring a bell?
M-Bob

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

It sounds to me like on some level you want to create your own god and call it Christian. Scripture is very clear on homosexual sex and it's clear that Jesus teaches that those who aren't saved are in fact the enemy.

I will say the over focus on the US in some churches is offputting and bordering on idolatry. That said, Church isn't for the well, it's for the sick in need of healing. All of us belong in Church on Sunday. We are not called to go at it alone, we are called to be part of Christ's bride.

Upvote 0

Pioneer3mm

Site Supporter
Aug 12, 2018
North America
✟548,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sounds like issues we all deal with?

We should be honest and admit to ourselves
I'm no different.

The Church isn't perfect because,
there are people like me there.
Ring a bell?
M-Bob
Good point / comment.
---
Everyone ( including Christians ) has those flaws.. in some degree.
- I did not find/meet Christians ( & leaders in churches) without 'a bit of those flaws.'
- During my spiritual journey from 1970's.
- I was involved ( not just attending..) in several churches.
---
That is why we need more of His mercy and grace
on our journey.
- It is my prayer/focus every day.

Blessings,

Upvote 0

Jermayn

May 22, 2019
Northwest Florida
✟108,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I run into all kinds of temperaments at my church. I pray for those I feel are not following the teachings of the Church. I'm Catholic, so we have to go to church for the sacraments.
I would just try a different church if things were that bad. I had to leave a church because it was not acting Christ-like. I'm happy with the church I go to now.

I don't mean this in any harsh way, as I am guilty of doing the very thing I am about to talk about in the past, so please don't take what I'm going to say as a "I'm better than you" post. One of the biggest issues for us as Christians and one that definitely catches the attention of un-believers, is Christians complaining about the church and other Christians. There's always going to be problems in any group of people that gather together for anything. The difference in the Church and any other gathering is that we should be lifting each other up, helping each other understand when we may be doing something wrong, and praying for one another instead of tearing each other down. I'd highly recommend you get back to church and help in areas that God has revealed to you that needs improvement. It is wrong for us to mock un-believers. We are all guilty of the same sin.

Romans 2:1 states "You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else, for at whatever point you judge another, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things."

This doesn't mean that we should not call sin out for what it is however. Worshiping Allah is a sin, practicing homosexuality is a sin, atheism is a sin. To state what is clearly written in God's word is not hating on anyone. In fact, it's the exact opposite if you truly care for the souls of others. As far as the excuses you've given for each of these sins, they are what the Bible calls "foolish and stupid arguments".

2 Timothy 2:23-24 "Don’t have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels. And the Lord’s servant must not be quarrelsome but must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful."

There are no excuses to commit sin. If God specifically says that doing or not doing something is a sin, that should be the end of the discussion. God will work in peoples lives that have those issues in whatever way he sees fit to so that they can overcome. Just trust him and don't feel like you're "hating" on anyone for saying what's written in his word.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If a church had a sign out front that said,
no hypocrites allowed.
It would probably be an empty church?

If Earth had a sign that said no hypocrites allowed.
It would be hard to find someone there.

O but, we like to tell ourselves
that we are not like that.
Looking around at others tells me
I'm just kind of special.

M-Bob

Upvote 0