Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
even worse is the isolation from church and fellow shipping-why wont he go to church?

he got so upset over any mention of going to one and getting more support--that was a little bit concerning.
I can understand the church thing. I've been severely burned there myself. However, getting upset over it is a big problem. There's something underlying that isn't healed. Again, keep your distance. I wouldn't even refer him to a man or ministry from your own church. Let him get help somewhere else. You can play an anonymous role in that from a distance - by contacting the ministry, not by contacting him.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
AND the awfully dumb things you can find yourself agreeing to on the phone.
Yes. Manipulators know how to suck people into their web very smoothly. The phone call would be, in my view, a major mistake.

Upvote 0

MMDave3

Apr 9, 2018
Western New York State
✟25,754.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Some people change, but many don't. My advice is point him towards God. Maybe suggest a plan for that for him. I would strongly advise not meeting up with him, but if you're going to meet this guy in person, do so in a public place with many people around. Do not, under any circumstances, give him your home address or make it possible for him to find you where you live.

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A newly released convict wants me to call him to talk, bc he said I'm the kindest person he has ever met in the history of his life. He said he has never known anyone who has been so kind to him.

We struck up conversation in the cab ride he was giving, as he was the driver and it was a long ride.

He gave me his number and first and last name.

He said he hates his living situation as hes surrounded by room mates who drink heavily and fight with each other.

He had self harm injuries all over his arm, well healed and old.

He said he used to be a drug fiend, but was over that.

He said he was celebite for 10 years and his wife died.

Well, I'm celebit and my spouse also died and I used to self harm.

I went home and looked him up in the national data base and found out that he had just been released from another state for "forced rape."

It didn't mention child so I took it as meaning an adult woman.

I never called, but its tugging at my heart.

How long do we hold someone accountable for past sins?

Is he now labed for life, with no friends, and treated like a leper?

I've helped many homeless men who did hard time or lighter felonies, and its hard to find a job and to get housing I hear.

Well, hes working, and sounds like hes living in a half way house with guys who are making his transition difficult.

I suggested he get into AA meeting asap for support and to find a bible believing church (hes said hes born again bible believing type).

He said he cant stand organized religion and just does his daily prayers and devotions to himself.

I wonder if you are on the national registry, if you cannot even go to church bc kids might be there?

IDK

I've read too many stories of ppl trying to make a come back and they are so hated, rejected and ostracized, they take a fall back into drugs, and gradually make the intentional decision to OD on purpose.

This is killing me.

I am interested in prison ministry, and this would be women only if I ever do it.

But these men who get tagged, I feel so badly and I'm so torn apart.

I haven't called out of fear.

How can I pray for him or get him some help?
Ministry to men by men. Ministry to women by women. Any other combination opens the door to trouble.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟718,332.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Please help me understand....I should tell the local police?

He didnt do anything but I do now realize he knows my name and where I live....

but is this baseless fear?

wouldnt the police contact him about this----setting me up for revenge?

I dont want to be hurt.

if you tell the cops, they will notify him, and then I am a dead duck....?

Be attentive to your surroundings ... this is for you ... or for anyone ...

Always be paying attention to what is going on around you or the near vicinity to you. This isn't out of fear .... it's just keeping "tabs" on what is going on. Looking around making assessments and also using precautions. Example: Shopping at night, park in a well-lit area as close as possible to the store. Do not unlock your vehicle until you've looked around. If anything you see bothers you do not exit your vehicle. Might even drive around and change where you are parking. Point is "listen" to the small still voice ... some people call it a gut feeling. When you come out of the store (day or night) again, look around, take an assessment. It may sound like a lot, but it really isn't ... maybe takes about 10-15 seconds. If anyone is near my car whether I am going to enter it or exist it .... I assess and I wait until "my comfort zone" is clear. Am I afraid? No .... I assess (look around) and assess/define what "my comfort zone" is. Something or somebody too close, I wait or drive away. It becomes 2nd nature, a habit and instinctive.

Whether it is persons, places or things .... assess.

Giving a phone number to someone is not a crime. Saying "nice things" to a person is not a crime.

Talking with the police .... that's your call, pray about it. You can talk with them without filing a "report/complaint" .... the police might file a report they might not ... that's their business if they do or don't.

If this person ever "appears" around you anywhere the chances it is coincidence, is like a billion to one that happens. That would definitely be the time to talk to the police about your concerns and rely on their advice. Also, they might have other info that you are not privy to .... perhaps complaints or reports from other women etc.

I would also say, anyone in this thread that is encouraging you to engage with this person whether quoting scripture or not .... well ... give them his phone number and they can contact him and take the risk.

God Bless you.

• Haha
Reactions: LoricaLady
Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A newly released convict wants me to call him to talk, bc he said I'm the kindest person he has ever met in the history of his life. He said he has never known anyone who has been so kind to him.

We struck up conversation in the cab ride he was giving, as he was the driver and it was a long ride.

He said he hates his living situation as hes surrounded by room mates who drink heavily and fight with each other.

I went home and looked him up in the national data base and found out that he had just been released from another state for "forced rape."

I've helped many homeless men who did hard time or lighter felonies, and its hard to find a job and to get housing I hear.

Well, hes working, and sounds like hes living in a half way house with guys who are making his transition difficult.

I suggested he get into AA meeting asap for support and to find a bible believing church (hes said hes born again bible believing type).

He said he cant stand organized religion and just does his daily prayers and devotions to himself.

I wonder if you are on the national registry, if you cannot even go to church bc kids might be there?

IDK

I've read too many stories of ppl trying to make a come back and they are so hated, rejected and ostracized, they take a fall back into drugs, and gradually make the intentional decision to OD on purpose.

This is killing me.

I am interested in prison ministry, and this would be women only if I ever do it.

Ministry to men should be performed by men.

It is too dangerous for a lone women.

There are men's ministries he could reach out to. I'm sure he's been advised of such.

You can't save him ... and he can't save you.

Leave this one to God ...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

fat wee robin

Jan 12, 2015
✟47,420.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

IDK

This is killing me.

I hurt so badly for him, bc Ive been really working for a couple of years with homeless people out on the street.

This is hours of real world experience, and seeing first hand the devastation of not having any community for which to belong.

I believe so far that mkgal has said the most promising advice, with trying to get him connected up with the right people-namely, other men.

My spiritual advisor told me that I'm so passionate to help the poor, that he really thinks I have a calling and vocation.

A few days ago, I helped someone for hours, getting them food, clothing, socks, information, phone numbers, and a place to stay.

They had aoda issues and multiple felonies and were on the run from the court ordered treatment program, and needed to turn themselves in for that.

Its not my place to judge, just to administer mercy.

Ive seen death, and yes, the isolation and rejection is a killer.

You are a good one -not enough like you . I think that you must not act alone however ,but pass his details to those who help exprisoners .

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

IDK

This is killing me.

Let me tell you a story.

When I was in my early 30's and single, a woman walking down the road adjacent to my apartment building asked me to give her a ride home. I thought, no harm, no foul ... so I got in the car with her to take her home.

Turns out she wanted to stop by a local grocery first, and then directed me to an address different than where she originally said she lived. She asked me to wait until she came back out, and then she asked me to drop her off at yet another location.

In the meantime, she had gathered information from me regarding my church ... and, of course, she knew where I lived.

Long story short, I got incessant calls that evening to come and pick her up, which I rebuffed, but later that night I got a knock on my door, and there she was, saying that her boyfriend had thrown her out ... and she needed a place to stay. In desperation, I told her that I had done everything for her I could do, and that she couldn't stay with me. Fortunately for me, she didn't push back against that too hard, and that night was the last time I saw her. I may have gotten one more from her at some point.

We must be very careful of extending ourselves to others. My nature is to do for others, but I have made decisions, which in hindsight, could have had bad consequences. Fortunately, God has shielded me from much harm in this regard, but I try to be careful not to place myself in unwise situations unnecessarily. Such would be my advice for you, as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,408.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
STOP.
HAVE NO CONTACT WITH THIS PERSON. NONE....

I used to volunteer as a probation officer, and also worked with a Christian organization for Prison Ministry when they were first starting out. This is NOT acceptable behavior, it is psychopathic and abusive. This person is trying to regain control over you because that's what gets him excited. He is perverted in his thinking and knows you well enough to push your buttons.
:prayer:

I THANK GOD FOR YOUR WISE ADVICE! People are too naive!

• Agree
Reactions: elytron
Upvote 0

fat wee robin

Jan 12, 2015
✟47,420.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I can understand the church thing. I've been severely burned there myself. However, getting upset over it is a big problem. There's something underlying that isn't healed. Again, keep your distance. I wouldn't even refer him to a man or ministry from your own church. Let him get help somewhere else. You can play an anonymous role in that from a distance - by contacting the ministry, not by contacting him.
Forcible rape is almost as serious a crime that there is, save murder and torture and very severe beatings or so it would seem.
At least he has paid his dues ,but there are many walking around who just never got caught , some in Christian churches .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,408.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

I dont want to be hurt.

It isn't baseless fear!

• Agree
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟718,332.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Be attentive to your surroundings ... this is for you ... or for anyone ...

Always be paying attention to what is going on around you or the near vicinity to you. This isn't out of fear .... it's just keeping "tabs" on what is going on. Looking around making assessments and also using precautions. Example: Shopping at night, park in a well-lit area as close as possible to the store. Do not unlock your vehicle until you've looked around. If anything you see bothers you do not exit your vehicle. Might even drive around and change where you are parking. Point is "listen" to the small still voice ... some people call it a gut feeling. When you come out of the store (day or night) again, look around, take an assessment. It may sound like a lot, but it really isn't ... maybe takes about 10-15 seconds. If anyone is near my car whether I am going to enter it or exist it .... I assess and I wait until "my comfort zone" is clear. Am I afraid? No .... I assess (look around) and assess/define what "my comfort zone" is. Something or somebody too close, I wait or drive away. It becomes 2nd nature, a habit and instinctive.

Whether it is persons, places or things .... assess.

Giving a phone number to someone is not a crime. Saying "nice things" to a person is not a crime.

Talking with the police .... that's your call, pray about it. You can talk with them without filing a "report/complaint" .... the police might file a report they might not ... that's their business if they do or don't.

If this person ever "appears" around you anywhere the chances it is coincidence, is like a billion to one that happens. That would definitely be the time to talk to the police about your concerns and rely on their advice. Also, they might have other info that you are not privy to .... perhaps complaints or reports from other women etc.

I would also say, anyone in this thread that is encouraging you to engage with this person whether quoting scripture or not .... well ... give them his phone number and they can contact him and take the risk.

God Bless you.

Replying to my own post for clarification ....
"give them his phone number" ..... didn't mean this literally but rhetorically ... I'm am a little perturbed about some of the advice being given.

If you do give his phone number to someone, then the question will be ... from whom or how did you get my phone number? What's the answer? What is his assumption? It is a "sticky wicket". Be careful if you decide to do this. If it were me, I'd file his phone number someplace that you almost never go to and if he ever appears ... then give it to the police.

Upvote 0

Cheylynn

Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2017
Vancouver Island
✟112,033.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

IDK

This is killing me.

He has give. You way too much information, a sign that he is very needy. You sound like you are a very caring person, my advice would to continue to show you care, by praying for him...and that is it.

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I know, that is concerning, thank you.

It makes me cry to see pple literally living on the sidewalk :-(

Maybe he just met me, but I read like a book?

How can they read me like this, his eyes were on the road, so how can he look into my eyes, the window to my soul? How do they know what to say?
He isn't living on the sidewalk. Please do help provide for the physical needs of those who are. But as for him, you're a temptation to him so you can't help him get what he really needs, you would only prevent it and possibly be harmed yourself if you engage him in any sort of relationship. We should always seek help for ourselves, from God, in His Church. Only if we are healed and become whole by the Holy Spirit can we discern things about people and know how to best help them.

Prayers.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,348.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
When I was in college, I met someone who became my friend. As it turned out, before he attended the college, he had gotten saved in jail. Why was he in jail? Because as a teenager, he became a sex offender. I know what a repentant sex offender is like. Now, a roommate of mine some years later took in a friend of his who was in jail for being a sex offender. He did not accept the Lord, and I didn't see the same evidence of repentance for what got him in jail. So I know a bit of the difference.

I have some concerns about this particular fellow:

This honestly sounds manipulative. You're kinder than his own mother was to him? And he determined this while driving you around in a cab?

This sounds like he's probing for someone to take advantage of.

You're assuming he raped an adult woman . . . you're an adult woman. This doesn't sound good. My friend who repented made it a point to avoid girls in the same category as the one his offense was against.

If he's the Bible believing type, he would believe in Hebrews 10:25 and put it into practice. My repentant friend did. We went to the same campus ministry together, in fact. We were both regulars. It is a common tactic for non-Christian men to say they're Christian to sound spiritual and therefore good and safe, but turn out to have a problem with "organized religion" when pressed. Watch out for anyone who is like that, criminal record or no. Especially since you also said he got very upset when you mentioned church:
he got so upset over any mention of going to one and getting more support--that was a little bit concerning.
That's more than a little concerning.

To answer some of your other questions:

As long as those past sins are still in their present.

He's able to social engineer you, so he'll be able to make friends. I'm not going to lie, it's less than easy for my repentant friend in terms of finding a place to work and live. But I want less opportunity for the unrepentant. When my roommate's friend went back to jail for a parole violation, I considered that a good thing and I still do.

If he's there, he's probably legally required to be there. There are reasons for that.

In the US, it depends on state law.

Not going to lie, that does happen. But you need to look out for you, so that you have something to give to those in need. Worst case scenario, he takes you out of the game by beating you, stealing from you, defrauding you, raping you, or killing you. Are you going to be so willing and able to help the needy after one or more of those things happens to you? Strike a balance. Have some sensible boundaries.

How can they read me like this, his eyes were on the road, so how can he look into my eyes, the window to my soul? How do they know what to say?
Probably just by talking to you. Predators can sense open people.

I dont want to be hurt.

Find out what the police department's policy is for notifying stalkers, whether you get a restraining order or not, before you give them information on who he is. I don't know enough about him personally to know if he's going to try and break into your house, or if he's going to try to continue to social engineer you first.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟781,635.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I found this rather easy to answer - I would throw the number away and not look back, that is just too scary. I don't want to sound cold-hearted but if he wants help, he should ask a man first.

Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟781,635.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
by the way I do want that man to get help. don't get me wrong. I just think that him asking a lone woman for help is completely inappropriate given that he told you upfront about who he is!! he ought to be asking a man!

• Agree
Upvote 0

teresa

Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
a sign that he is very needy

thank you cheylynn, he was very very needy. I mean his voice was shaky. God only knows if he has any family or friends.

I can read ppl pretty well, and I do believe that his neediness was sincere. He really did need a friend.

Upvote 0

teresa

Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
@eleos1954
The scary part is that he already does know where I live and my home address, because he had to bring me home from the surgeon.

Hes working for a medical cab company-so how does he get to transport anyone with medical needs?

Or is it illegal to bar felons from employment?

His registry also lists my first and last name in writing as its required to transport me.

Upvote 0