Raphael's Homeschooling Dream

Would you like to homeschool your children?

• Yes I don't like the secular humanism in the public schools.

• Yes, I'm afraid for my child's safety.

• I'm not sure that I can teach them.

• I'm afraid that don't know enough to teach.

• Strongly disagree - no socialization.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Studies done by Seton Home Schooling and other Catholic Home Schooling groups show a higher percentage of vocations to the priesthood and monastic life from those people who are homeschooled.

The constant fight for survival (as on some boards) weakens many children who lose their faith, modesty and virginity in the public school. I was severely tempted. Homeschooling was unheard of during my childhood.

For some children, public schooling is like
wallbash.gif

Upvote 0

Avila

Boohoo moomoo, cebu
Feb 6, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟2,479.00
Faith
Catholic
chanter said:
The constant fight for survival (as on some boards) weakens many children who lose their faith, modesty and virginity in the public school.

While I am a convert to Catholicism, I have been a Christian since I can remember. The above quote is very true for me, however. I think I would've fared much better had I been homeschooled (or gone to a private school). The destruction that happened to my self was very very extensive. I am STILL rebuilding today - much of that is spirituality now.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Avila said:
While I am a convert to Catholicism, I have been a Christian since I can remember. The above quote is very true for me, however. I think I would've fared much better had I been homeschooled (or gone to a private school). The destruction that happened to my self was very very extensive. I am STILL rebuilding today - much of that is spirituality now.

Dear Avila:

My heart goes out to you and to all who are traumatized by public education. It was promoted by Scottish Rite Masonry, and all good Christians should stay away, as secular humanism is their god. Or as a Catholic Priest said about masonry, "Their god is the devil."

I'm glad that my son never spent a day in public school and I hope his children also have the liberty to avoid public elementary and high schools. By the time he went to the public community college, he was confirmed in the faith, a true soldier of Christ. He didn't fear to speak out in his class and proclaim the truth, and you know, the teachers really appreciated his comments because they couldn't speak about religion -- but the students can. They gave him good recommendations so that he received several scholarships.

Know that I will pray for you and your children.

Lovingly in Christ our God,
Elizabeth

Upvote 0

Mephster

arete
Jan 30, 2003
South Carolina
Visit site
✟8,317.00
Faith
Muslim
Politics
US-Others
Greetings Elizabeth.

I hope you are well.

I do disagree that homeschooling is the best choice for children. I do not want to argue too much on that point, however. I am well aware of the many problems in academia (ugh!) :sick: but nevertheless, I am wondering if, as a supporter of homeschooling, you can state any drawbacks or problems with homeschooling. I mean, I don't want you to defeat your own opinion - clearly, but knowing problem areas can help parents correct and anticipate better in order to make homeschooling (maybe even public schooling) more productive.

Meph
(product of public schools)

Reactions: Miss Shelby
Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Mephster said:
Greetings Elizabeth.

I hope you are well.

I do disagree that homeschooling is the best choice for children. I do not want to argue too much on that point, however. I am well aware of the many problems in academia (ugh!) :sick: but nevertheless, I am wondering if, as a supporter of homeschooling, you can state any drawbacks or problems with homeschooling. I mean, I don't want you to defeat your own opinion - clearly, but knowing problem areas can help parents correct and anticipate better in order to make homeschooling (maybe even public schooling) more productive.

Meph
(product of public schools)

Dear Son of our King and God Jesus Christ:

Your name reminds me of the drug problem on campus - sorry! Could I address you with another name?

I too am a product of public schools. My son is highly gifted with an l-cysteine problem so he was kind of hyperactive. I was told to forget homeschooling him with those problems. He is now with the Disabled Student Center at his university and has a 3.86 GPA.

If I had put in the the public schools, the teacher told me that she would have forced him to be on ritalin. The doctor said that with my son's atopic allergic condition, ritalin would have killed him. The teacher replied, "I have 30 students in the class and I cannot tolerate anyone who will disrupt my class. PERIOD." She was very emphatic. That was why my son didn't want to attend public school. She said that the public school has ways to force the child to be on drugs with or without parental permission.

That threat scared me. No public school for my child, ever. Hope you understand that my son is an only child. I'm not that fertile. Can't have any more. All my eggs are in one basket = he's it.

Hope this helps. With God's help nothing is impossible. And my son was a big challenge.

Yours truly in Christ,
Elizabeth

Upvote 0

Mephster

arete
Jan 30, 2003
South Carolina
Visit site
✟8,317.00
Faith
Muslim
Politics
US-Others
Elizabeth...

Well, it is good for your son that you are/were so observant and prudent, I'd say. Its good that he is doing well presently.

However, I have to say that I have some basic concerns regarding homeschooling. One of which is public schooling provides "real world/real time" situations that are not under the controlled environment of homeschooling.

I'm a big proponent of praxis and theory (theory and practice). I guess, its more than just telling kids about situations - but having them experience them is quite another. I don't think its a splendid thing that children are subjected to drugs, bullies, fights, weapons, sex etc. I do think it is important that children can handle themselves - and their morality - without mom & dad watching. I guess I worry about what happens to homeschooled kids out of the home?

Also, having only mother or father (or both) teaching the child is good in some respects. Honesty, discipline etc. However, different methods of teaching and different teachers force students to cope with varied learning methods- again, an argument from experience. I mean, if a student is only taught (in formative years) by a parent... how will they take notes in college - a variety of professors with different teaching styles? Has the child become too accustomed to one method?

Secondly, I want public schools to improve (I desperately do). But I worry about parents who homeschool their children and have no care or whit about the status of public education. I worry that this could "separate" and "segregate" society too much. As an aside, do homeschooled children (when grown) have a bias against publically schooled kids which turns into elitism? arrogance? I don't know... but it could potentially.

I do believe that children first learn in the home. Family and domestic environments DO matter. But there is no reason why a parent cannot be participatory in what/how their children do in school. And learning is round-the-clock, not merely betwixt the hours of 8am and 3pm. Parents can guide, instruct, and teach outside of the hours of public schooling.

What do you think?

Meph (Mephistophilis the Great)
or...
Iss Kan Dar
:)

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Mephster said:
Elizabeth...

I do believe that children first learn in the home. Family and domestic environments DO matter. But there is no reason why a parent cannot be participatory in what/how their children do in school. And learning is round-the-clock, not merely betwixt the hours of 8am and 3pm. Parents can guide, instruct, and teach outside of the hours of public schooling.

What do you think?

Meph (Mephistophilis the Great)

Dear Mephistophilis:

It's getting late so I will take one paragraph and devote my attention to it.

It's true that children first learn at home. They can also learn more in a confortable environment in which they feel safe and loved.

The problem today is that people oftentimes must work two jobs just to keep up with mortgage payments and utility bills. So the children are dropped off at school as early as 6 AM and then picked up as late as 6:30PM. That's a twelve hour + day. However, if you would check, you will find that a lot of jobs are 12 hours on and 12 hours off for 4 days a week. The parents come home exhausted, grab fast food, don't even have time to help a child with the homework as they have to squeeze in the laundry, bills, e-mails on the computer, dishes and bathing the kids. The kids rarely see the parents because by the time they get home, they have perhaps one hour with their parents before bedtime at 8PM, and that is not quality time - eating, bathing, prayers and bedtime.

Now you look at the quality time a teacher has with 30 kids - not much time for individual attention. When individual attention is received it is usually a reprimand! We have many neglected sad children in our schools! Do I want to perpetuate a failing system? NO.

Not only that, the kids are cranky and so are the parents - that leads to child abuse. We have increasing incidents of child abuse. The kids and the parents hate the constant pressure of work and school. I know - I worked before my son was of school age. He begged me to quit my job. I didn't abuse him but I did yell at him to get ready to go to the babysitter in the mornings. The yelling stopped when we had more relaxed time together during his homeschooling years.

I say this from my own experience and the experience of other working moms who gave up jobs and careers to be a homeschooling mom and didn't look back. The sacrifice was the gift of love to their children. God bless them. And God bless America.

Yours in Christ-God,
Elizabeth

Upvote 0
You know, I'd like to chime in here in support of public schools. I almost didn't get the chance to go to them - my dad went to Catholic schools for sixteen years (including college), his mother taught at one, etc. By a fluke, there were no good Catholic schools near where they were raising me and my brother, however.

In public school I fell into the Gifted program. I ended up graduating with a 4.0, 1460 SATs, taking eight college-level AP classes by the time I graduated, acting in over a dozen plays and musicals, playing JV volleyball, competing at the state level in public speaking and spelling tournaments, participating in the Junior ROTC program, attending the Governor's School for Humanities for one month at the University of Richmond during a summer, being president of three clubs and vice-president of two more, going on local television with our quiz bowl team, being voted Prom King, etc. I also participated in my church's Youth Ministry program, played on our youth softball team, and regularly attended Mass with my family. ;)

My public education prepared me for earning an Army ROTC scholarship that totally paid for an $80k education at a private liberal arts college with 2,500 students. With the money I saved, I took two trips to study abroad, and saw England, Ireland, Scotland, Germany, the Netherlands, Slovakia, the Czech Republic, Poland, Austria, Hungary, and Russia. I was inducted into national honor societies in both History and Classics, graduated cum laude with a BA in History, and now serve as a comissioned Army officer.

There are success stories for kids from public, private, and home schools. There are also horror stories from all three - one of the most socially maladjusted people I met at my college was a girl who had been home-schooled. Sweet girl, talented (she was a model) - but utterly incapable of conducting normal personal interaction. Be involved with your kids' lives, that includes school. Make the best decision for them, but don't judge what other parents decide would be the best for their children.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Caedmon said:
:sorry:

No, but I want blue hair. I'm just too chicken. :D

Dear Caedmon:

The blue-haired generation refers to the older folk who put a tad of blue dye in their greyish white hair to make it shine.

Don't go blue before your time!

LOL

Reactions: Miss Shelby
Upvote 0

Credo

broken
Jun 25, 2003
on a farm in Missouri
✟10,745.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
chanter said:
Does anyone know of other Catholic Homeschools or curricula?

Sorry this is so late, but I just found Kolbe Academy and it looks pretty promising.

Description (as provided by www.petersnet.net):

Home page of the Kolbe Academy, founded in 1980. Kolbe Academy has been a pioneer in the movement to restore classical education to Catholic schools. Kolbe operates a day school in Napa, California and a nationwide home school program.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
This is a very interesting study that debunks the myth that homeschoolers aren't being socialized.

http://www.hslda.org/docs/link.asp?URL=http://www.washtimes.com/culture/20031022-092314-2522r.htm

By Robert Stacy McCain
THE WASHINGTON TIMES
October 23, 2003

Home-schoolers are more likely to attend college and be more politically active than their peers, a study says. The survey of more than 7,300 adults who were home-schooled found that among those ages 18 to 24, 74 percent had taken college courses, compared with 46 percent in the same age group among the general population. About 12 percent of the polled home-schoolers had received bachelor's degrees, compared with about 8 percent of their peers.
The study, by the Oregon-based National Home Education Research Institute (NHERI), showed higher levels of political involvement for home-schoolers in several categories. The poll shows home-schoolers are more likely than their peers to vote (74 percent versus 29 percent), to make political contributions (9 percent versus 3 percent) or to work for a political cause, party or candidate (13 percent versus 1 percent).
Some of the findings were not surprising, given earlier studies showing high levels of academic achievement by home-schooled students, said Tom Washburne, director of the Virginia-based National Center for Home Education.
"We expected to find that they were getting good jobs, going on to college at a high rate, that they were involved in their communities — all of those come as no surprise to a home-schooling parent," Mr. Washburne said.
"However, we are excited by the findings about the civic involvement of the graduates. Their voting and their involvement with campaigns and political parties is astounding compared with the general public."
The idea for the study "had been percolating in my mind for at least a decade," said NHERI President Brian D. Ray. A proposal for the study was turned down 10 years ago, he said. But noting the growth in home education, he said, "Now we have a much larger population [of home-schooling alumni] from which to draw, [so] maybe it was good to wait."
NHERI estimates that more than 1.7 million U.S. children are home-schooled.
The new study "is one of the few attempts, maybe the only attempt, to get at the question of what do home-schoolers look like after the home-schooling process," said James Carper, professor of educational psychology at the University of South Carolina, who reviewed Mr. Ray's findings. "On most measures, they look better than the general public."
Home schooling has been criticized by the country's largest teachers union, the National Education Association (NEA), which passed a resolution at its national convention declaring that "home-schooling programs cannot provide the student with a comprehensive education experience."
An NEA spokesman yesterday said the organization had no comment on the NHERI study.
Mr. Ray said critics "have claimed that adults who are home-schooled would be social isolates, disengaged from civic life and perhaps uncaring about the world around them. The findings of this study, however, indicate just the opposite in terms of these adults' behaviors."
Among the study's findings:
•About half (49 percent) of home-schoolers ages 18 to 24 were full-time students. In that age group, 50.2 percent had "some college but no degree," compared with 34 percent of the same age group in the general population. In that group, 8.7 percent of home-schoolers had two-year associate degrees (compared with 4.1 percent in the general population) and 11.8 percent had bachelor's degrees (compared with 7.6 percent in the general population).
•Among various measures of community activity, home-educated adults were more likely than their peers to have read a book in the past six months (98.5 percent compared with 69 percent), participated in community service such as volunteering or coaching youth sports teams (71.1 percent compared with 37 percent), and attended religious services at least once a month (93.3 percent compared with 41 percent).
•Asked whether they agreed with the statement that "politics and government are too complicated to understand," 4.2 percent of home-schooled adults agreed, compared with 35 percent of the general population.
•In six measures of civic involvement, home-schooled adults consistently ranked higher than the general U.S. population.
•Home-schoolers also ranked higher on measures of personal satisfaction and psychological health, reporting more contentment on the job and with their families' financial situations. Asked about happiness, 58.9 percent of home-schoolers reported they were "very happy," compared with 27.6 percent of the general public.
•Home-schoolers differed significantly in their responses to the question: "Some people say that people get ahead by their own hard work; others say lucky breaks or help from people are more important. Which do you think is most important?" More than 85 percent of home-schoolers said "hard work," compared with 68 percent of the general population.
•About 74 percent of the home-schooled adults with children said they were home schooling their own children.
The thousands of home-schooled adults who participated in the survey were found through "a highly connected network of home-schooling organizations," Mr. Ray said. Their responses were compared with data for the general U.S. population from the Census Bureau, the Department of Education and the National Opinion Research Center.
The study did not compare incomes of adults who had been home-schooled with the general population, Mr. Ray said, because of a shortage of age-based income data plus the fact that the average age of the home-schooling alumni in the survey was 21 and nearly half were full-time students.
"If we can come back to a substantial portion of this sample in five to 10 years, we'll get a much better idea of comparative data regarding occupation, income and completed level of education," he said.
The study rebuts one of the most persistent criticisms of home schooling, Mr. Washburne said.
"Home-schooling parents have known for years that home schooling works," he said. "What we always knew to be a myth regarding socialization has turned out to be just that, a myth. Home-schoolers appear to be active, engaged, happy adults."

Upvote 0

Benedicta00

Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟40,563.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
chanter said:
Has anyone heard about Seton Home School - a Catholic based program located in Virginia?

My son tried that program - it is rugged. They allow some flexibility, but from what I heard, the boys had a harder time than the girls due to all the papers required.

I let my son type his papers and he did better. Boys have more problems with penmanship than girls. At least that was my observation with my own son.

Any comments here?

Does anyone know of other Catholic Homeschools or curricula?

Sorry this is late Elizabeth but I use Seton!

I do not find it that difficult, we’re in 8th grade but I do allow my son to answer many of the assignments verbally and that helps. I love the way everything they put together is in the context of the faith, so they get Catholic teaching in every last lesson and the discussions it has provoked that would never if I were not schooling him at home.

Upvote 0

princess_ballet

Senior Veteran
Jul 8, 2003
Michigan
✟16,089.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Seeing as how I go to public school and have gone to private school, I will answer what I think about the "horrors" of public school.

Challenges to our Holy Faith by unbelievers
Does this not happen in the real world as well? If we fail to cope with it in school, how will we cope with it in real life?

Seductions and peer pressure to do immoral things
It depends with what group you hang out with. All of my friends are Christian and those at school that are not have actually told me NOT to do drugs, have sex, etc.
Earthquake disasters because of poor construction
What? That is absurd! Most places don't have normal earthquakes anyway, and if they do then the buildings have been secured.
Bomb threats
They are just that- threats. They have these in other places too. Not just schools. Does this mean we should stay in our homes and never venture out?
Shootings
This is certainly sad when it happens, but it does not happen in every school. Again, it can happen anywhere, not just school.
Flu and SARS epidemics - homeschooled children are healtier
Not true at all! Our immune systems NEED to have these things once and a while, that is actually healthier! If we never are sick and then all of a sudden this occurs, our body will not be able to do anything.
Pin worms
lice
hepatitis
Ringworm
These can happen anywhere you go. To say that going to school will make you sick is absurd.
Mosquito infestations - West Nile Virus exposure
I've only heard of older adults gettin West Nile, with the occasional young adult. I've never heard of this happening at school. This again, uses old time science. What should we do? Quarrentine the people?
No Christian clubs - yet gay clubs allowed
My high school has a Christian club, it does not have a gay club. Don't use one example of one high school to ruin all high schools.
Delapidated buildings with lead paint
This is more the state's problem along with the tax payers. Our school are repainted every year with non-lead paint
Playgrounds in poor shape with buckled asphalt where the children can trip and fall.
Our playgrounds are all brand new and kept up. Our asphalt is not buckled.
Mandated Sex Education that is not morals based
We have a group of high schoolers that go to middle school classrooms every year. They are called PSI (Postponing Sexual Involvement) and they teach children that sex it not ok outside of marriage, the danger of AIDS, and the dangers of other diseases. This is also a federal program that is in many schools across the nation. Pre-marital sex amoung teens is actually declining. I fail to see your point as valid.
Kids having sex out on the football fields after classes
Simply not true. Our teachers are always around and this couldn't happen.
Drugs are rampant on the campuses
I've never seen drugs on our campus. If drugs are found, the person is given immediate punishment. If parents are concerned about drugs, they need to teach their children. This is a lack of parental guidance.
Textbooks are slanted and biased
No, not really. All of our social science books have been, for the most part, impartial. The family is the first place a child gets his/her values. If the parents have given them a good foundation, by the time this problem could even occur, the child will know what to think. Whenever a problem such as this has occurred, our teachers will let us discuss it and many students will say after class that they know what was said was false anyway.
Lots of R and P-G 13 rated movies are shown on rainy days to younger children.
Excuse me? Never. Our high school will not allow us to watch P-G 13 movies as Seniors, let alone let the elementary kids watch R movies.
These are at private schools as well.
Poor food choices
You always have the option of giving your child cold lunch. And the lunches at school are pretty well balanced. We always have a salad bar open and the main courses are always balanced.
Unsupervised swapping of food. Your child may end up swapping a good sandwich for a chocolate bar.
What little kid doesn't do this once and a while? Eventually they wont' feel that great afterward. Mommy and daddy won't always be there to hold their hand and tell them what is right and wrong.
School clinics that do secret abortions
Um...not. In my state a parent must sign if a person under 18 wants to have an abortion. This is true in most states. Secret abortions is a false claim.
Free distribution of condoms along with instructions at tax payers expense.
Never seen this happen. Remember that whole thing about PSI?
Peer pressure to do belly piercings
Huh? How does this fit with "horrors?" And if someone wants to get their belly pierced, why not? I have no idea why you included this.
Green hair and mohawks
The problem here lies with you. If you have a problem with that, then that's just to bad. As a teenager, this might be part of exploring who you are. Maybe only one person in my high school has green hair, and mohawks come and go. Don't be so uptight.

I could go on and on....
With more things that are false and not valid?

Does any one else have horror stories to tell?
No. Instead, I have many postives thigns to say. My high school has paid for me to get college classes. My high school provides students with an alternative school for kids who aren't planning on college. My college encourages good behavior and attendance. And my teachers are willing to go the extra mile and help with things, even if they aren't getting paid for it.

I wish that you would rethink what you say about the "horrors" of public schools.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Dear Princess Ballet:

This is my personal experience of public high school in California. I personally witnessed, read, or experienced all these horrors myself. The teens play chicken and streak through the campus nude, or have sex on the football field at least once a year. It happened on my campus and made the newspapers. So it's no exaggeration. Perhaps you are right about one thing. California is in a real financial pickle right now (and has been for years). Scores in California schools are not very good compared with the national scores in reading and math. When my younger brothers and sisters went to New Jersey to finish their schooling, they were all placed in a lower grade because of the inferior education which California offers. It's supposedly improving now due to the new phonetics based reading program, but for years we were only taught reading by the inferior rote method.

How is education in other states?

Sincerely yours,
Elizabeth

Upvote 0

Benedicta00

Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟40,563.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
How is education in other states?

In Louisiana it is a joke.

But the reason for home school is not just because the public schools are so bad, it is also because many Catholic schools are way to secular than they should be and they do not even teach the basics well enough. How many times have you heard someone who left the Church say, "I went to Catholic schools all my life." The faith is just NOT being taught properly.

Fr. Robert Fox has a ministry he has committed himself to, to make parents and grandparents aware that we can not leave it up to someone else, a CCD teacher or a catholic school to teach the faith, we must do it ourselves and it is our duty to teach the faith to our kids.

But what I would like say about the socialization issue is it is a false argument because there is nothing that any of us experienced in schools that was a benefit to us as a adult. I am sorry but when I look back and see the things that I put up with from other kids did not do me a darn bit of good now on how to interact with people toady, if anything it made me distrust people and have bitterness in my heart which now I have to work on changing. It is a myth that we need to have our kids interact with other kids or they won’t know how to relate. They can play with kids in their neighborhood and if they have siblings they interact with them, one does not need school to learn how to act.

The child psychologist Stanley Greenspan has written a book called Playground Politics that shows how kids treat one another and how to train your child to handle it. I think that is ridiculous, there in nothing to benefit from having a child learn how to put up with the meanness of another kid.

My 2 cents.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.