Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
An old bisque holy water font for the home. Does anyone still have Holy Water by their doors anymore??

1B2CFBD8-1544-41B0-82AA-02C302594708.jpeg

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,223,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
An old bisque holy water font for the home. Does anyone still have Holy Water by their doors anymore??

View attachment 306125
One of my grandmothers had one of those. I have not seen them anywhere in more than 20 years though. Most churches still have holy water that you can bring home but I've never done it.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,585,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
One of my grandmothers had one of those. I have not seen them anywhere in more than 20 years though. Most churches still have holy water that you can bring home but I've never done it.
I have run across several. I was just wondering if this used to be a Common practice in Catholic homes. If so, when?

Upvote 0

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,585,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I remember it from the 1960's.
I need to look that up. I have found a few. I just need to find how long it was in favor. This latest one is bisque and made in Germany so it’s older than 60’s. But this is part of the fun of it. You are rescuing these pieces and learning at the same time. :)

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,223,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I need to look that up. I have found a few. I just need to find how long it was in favor. This latest one is bisque and made in Germany so it’s older than 60’s. But this is part of the fun of it. You are rescuing these pieces and learning at the same time. :)
My grandma was predominantly Bavarian German. Oh, and they had a sponge in the reservoir. Just a garden variety bit of sponge.

Upvote 0

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,585,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My grandma was predominantly Bavarian German. Oh, and they had a sponge in the reservoir. Just a garden variety bit of sponge.
Lol! I hope he did not have a tiny one on the Holy Water font!

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟272,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's an old, old practice; mainly from Germany and Poland and Slovakia, places like that, and passed down. It faded out (along with so many other things) after Vatican II.

My niece married into a Polish family decades ago; her husband at the time is now deceased, but his grandmother kept a very strict, devout Polish Catholic household. I was only in her house once, but there were shrines and statues and candles everywhere. The one TV was an ancient Philco that didn't look as if it had been turned in several years, and there were no radios. Every room in the house had a crucifix and a picture of Mary, and every bed in the house also had a crucifix attached to the bed frame. It was interesting and inspiring, but it was also kind of weird, in a way, LOL.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟423,573.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

View attachment 306125

My fiancee does! It's a pretty cool thing, I love her thoughtfulness in that sense. Holy water fonts in the home are so underrated these days. We'll probably put some up in our new place when she moves in, in a couple weeks.*

*I feel like I need to note that we're not cohabitating. She's moving down first, then after we get married in March I'll move in. But I'm still going to be paying part of the rent and bills because it's still our apartment.

Upvote 0

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,585,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My fiancee does! It's a pretty cool thing, I love her thoughtfulness in that sense. Holy water fonts in the home are so underrated these days. We'll probably put some up in our new place when she moves in, in a couple weeks.*

*I feel like I need to note that we're not cohabitating. She's moving down first, then after we get married in March I'll move in. But I'm still going to be paying part of the rent and bills because it's still our apartment.
Woohoo! Glad to hear things are moving along! :) :pray:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

narnia59

Supporter
Jul 17, 2007
✟323,546.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I have run across several. I was just wondering if this used to be a Common practice in Catholic homes. If so, when?
It was a common practice before Vatican II.

I have one at the doorway to my office; that's where I have my daily prayer time. Easy enough to put one up and bring holy water from the font at church.

Upvote 0