St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
...which goes to the point that is missing in many of the responses we are reading--the hypocrisy of many political Liberals.

Now it is said to be unfair to damn the person over something that happened while he or she was a student, but when that person is NOT of the same party as the accusers...it is considered to be perfectly fair.

IMHO, his claim that he cannot remember which of the two figures he was--the Klansman or the guy in blackface--strikes me as even more unbelievable.
On the whole I would rather have a governor who did something like that in the 60s and understands now why it was wrong, rather than someone who hasn't faced the issue.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
OK, but my point is that many people who say that they agree with that reasoning when the public figure in question is a fellow liberal, never, never apply it when the person is a Republican, conservative, or even non-political. That approach is almost epidemic, if you think about it.

Upvote 0

NotreDame

Domer
Site Supporter
Jan 24, 2008
6 hours south of the Golden Dome of the University
✟511,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There are boundaries that the Democratic Party (and Party members) have staked out...this violates those boundaries.
It’s a matter of principle, and he needs to resign, (if he hasn’t done so already).

The boundaries and principle are unreasonable when applied here.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
OK, but my point is that many people who say that they agree with that reasoning when the public figure in question is a fellow liberal, never, never apply it when the person is a Republican, conservative, or even non-political. That approach is almost epidemic, if you think about it.
Due, I think, to a general distrust of social conservatives.

Upvote 0

NotreDame

Domer
Site Supporter
Jan 24, 2008
✟511,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When Congress creates a law that, on it face has a reasonable, rational, well-intentioned reason for existing, and the country goes and lives under this law, until it is found, (eventually) by the Supreme Court to be “unconstitutional”. This means that the person’s adversely affected to have suffered an injustice.

Blackface is such as a mark of underlying, (or surface), racism.
It has NEVER been “acceptable” to POC!

There’s still the question of whether that youthful foolish, less than, wise, decision to appear in the picture is enough to make him resign when, from what is known about him today, he wouldn’t engage in that conduct, understanding its wrong, inappropriate, he’s changed for the better since then.

• Agree
Reactions: Speedwell
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
There’s still the question of whether that youthful foolish, less than, wise, decision to appear in the picture is enough to make him resign when, from what is known about him today, he wouldn’t engage in that conduct, understanding its wrong, inappropriate, he’s changed for the better since then.
"Ye who truly and earnestly repent you of your sins..." Amen.

Reactions: NotreDame
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟701,307.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Can you be punished for something that was socially acceptable and even a source of humor 30 some odd years ago, but is now unacceptable?

Prime example. Mel Brooks Blazing Saddles. Today would be labeled homophobic, racist, sexist and anti semantic.

In the 70’s it was labeled humor.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Can you be punished for something that was socially acceptable and even a source of humor 30 some odd years ago, but is now unacceptable?

Prime example. Mel Brooks Blazing Saddles. Today would be labeled homophobic, racist, sexist and anti semantic.

Satire, more precisely.

Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married

This was not a guy in high school, this was someone with a higher education degree. I'm assuming at some point he sat in a class that explained the history of blackface and how hurtful it was to black people in the United States.

If he had robbed a liquor store at that age, should we equally say that it was just a less than wise decision? I assume that even if he learned his lesson and never did it again, people wouldn't be saying it should be overlooked.

As a citizen of Virginia who voted for this man, I want him to resign. I would not vote for him again.

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married

I think Blazing Saddles would still be fine today because none of the racist, homophobic, sexist people are shown as being good. They are very clearly the bad guys in the film.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
This was not a guy in high school, this was someone with a higher education degree. I'm assuming at some point he sat in a class that explained the history of blackface and how hurtful it was to black people in the United States.
At VMI in the '60s? I sincerely doubt it.

Upvote 0

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
The irony is that the Left has used the mere accusation of racism as a weapon against opponents for ages. Its come back to bite their own! The #metoo movement was intended to ensnare Trump, by using a standard that they never applied to Bill Clinton! To date that has taken out more prominent Leftist than conservative politicians.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Didn't Prince Harry were a Hitler outfit at a party? How is forgiven and not Ralph Northam?
How is Roy Moore not forgiven for merely having asked younger women on dates many years ago?

How is Paula Deen not forgiven for the use of a word that was commonplace in her state when she was a youth many years ago?

How is it that Jesse Jackson and Louis Farrakhan ARE forgiven?

Double Standard

• Agree
Reactions: Colter
Upvote 0

NotreDame

Domer
Site Supporter
Jan 24, 2008
✟511,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This issue is not one of “youthful indiscretion” which should be forgiven.

It is a case of a politician knowing that this evidence existed and said nothing about it when he commenced his run in politics.

Had he done so, had he laid his cards on the table at the beginning of his political career and offered his apologies then, it would have given his constituents an honest opportunity to choose him or reject him.

As it stands, the apologies sound hollow....are they genuine, or is he just saying what he needs to save his career...?

He must resign.

I don’t know that this was a deliberate omission. I’m not sure, when he decided to run for public office, he thought,”Quick, check my yearbooks for any potentially offensive material,” or that he should have. It’s not at all clear when he chose to run for public office that he even recalled the existence of this photo in any of his yearbooks. I can recall two pictures of all the pics in my yearbooks.

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
How is Roy Moore not forgiven for merely having asked younger women on dates many years ago?

How is Paula Deen not forgiven for the use of a word that was commonplace in her state when she was a youth many years ago?

How is it that Jesse Jackson and Louis Farrakhan ARE forgiven?

Double Standard

Virginia Democrats are calling for him to resign. So, you're welcome to stay in your fantasy but reality is waiting for you.

• Agree
Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0