Stlouise
✟15,235.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
I'm thinking, as I am scientific minded, that Christianity was created by archaic men with no knowledge of science. One reason is that they would not be able to deal with their life ending and being just buried and that was it. Another reason is in order for them to not feel like a bad person they needed to be forgiven for being a crummy human. Praying relieves self conscious. You don't have to apologize to the person. Another reason is they needed to be able to explain the world and its beginnings without knowing much about anything. I have believed,and the only thing that has kept me believing is that there are an infinite number of astronomical things that had to happen in order for us to become. The only thing is the universe is infinite and if it is then the law would say in the realm of infinity we are possible. One slight chance and we are it and we are self aware and looking for answers to an unanswerable question. Faith? Is it all based on faith? It sounds to me a story created to make us all strive to be good children. Maybe a lot of what happened in the bible is real, but I think that now if a miracle worker walked the streets their would be more reason to believe. Why not now? Because we're not a bunch of superstitious people who believe in witchcraft. It could not happen today. I believe more in karma and murphies law because miracles are once again like I said pretty much an aboration of infinity, luck you might say.Noons can deal with the fact when someone you live dies or you die you will never see them again. Heaven and hell, up and down right? I don't think so, then where? I know seven preachers. They are hipocrites and don't seem to strive to be any better or holier than I am. Not good examples.one thing is sure and its been speculated as to how. We will all die the earth will cycle and succumb back into the mass of the universe. We will probably hasten our deaths ourselves. Ashes to ashes dust todust.

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm thinking, as I am scientific minded, that Christianity was created by archaic men with no knowledge of science.

Welcome to CF. I note that your very first sentence is an attack on our beliefs.

I would also point out that the majority (51%, I think) of scientists in the US are Christian. And science as we know it began among European Christians.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,445.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Welcome.

I agree with what others have said.

I think seeking forgiveness from God is more than just getting past the need to apologize to people. It's also recognizing that in our finitude, you are not everything you can imagine yourself being. That is more or less what sin consciousness is about. We have lofty ideals but we don't live up to them. We complain about the unfairness of life, we brood with resentment. And yet those ideals are still very much tied to the abundant life that Jesus talked about, the "soul" of life, the little things that make life bearable, or even joyous. So we can't merely part with them and remain an authentic human being. So faith in divine forgiveness is really more about trusting that Jesus has bridged that liminal space between the reality of our lives and the reality we wish we inhabited.

Upvote 0

CrazyAl

Jan 5, 2018
Stlouise
✟15,235.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
Welcome to CF. I note that your very first sentence is an attack on our beliefs.

I would also point out that the majority (51%, I think) of scientists in the US are Christian. And science as we know it began among European Christians.

Upvote 0

CrazyAl

Jan 5, 2018
Stlouise
✟15,235.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
It wasn't meant as an attack. I need a reaffirming of my faith. I do see God in nature not people. People are disappointing. What is the answer? Are we held faith over our heads with no proof? Send another Jesus in our time period. Why not? Because it would change prophosy.

Upvote 0

CrazyAl

Jan 5, 2018
Stlouise
✟15,235.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
It wasn't meant as an attack. I need a reaffirming of my faith. I do see God in nature not people. People are disappointing. What is the answer? Are we held faith over our heads with no proof? Send another Jesus in our time period. Why not? Because it would change prophosy.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I think all my questions were relevant, but not answered and cannot be answered by any answer except another cryptic answer from the bible.
Your questions were relevant. However the 'introductions' section is not the place to for these sorts of questions necessarily. You might post somewhere else in these fora and get more traction.

I think what you have is a tension with the Biblical interpretive method you grew up with and how science looks at the world. Specifically it looks like you have grown up with a literalist fundamentalist approach, and now you find it unsatisfying. There are many approaches to the Bible, whole ranges of approaches. Mine is Catholic, where I accept the Bible as entirely true but not the literal explanation for everything. I need to look at what kind of literature a verse belongs to. And I don't have a conflict with decent science. There are other approaches that deny the truth of the Bible. And there are approaches that insist on a seven literal day creation. I think personally that those also deny the truth of the Bible by trying to force the Bible into being a science textbook.

So I will repeat my suggestion that you look around a bit more at these various approaches. What I think you are otherwise headed towards is a rejection of any Christian approach because of a perceived conflict with science. I've seen people do this many times, rejecting a fundamentalist approach and then ceasing to be Christian. It does not have to happen that way.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums