Rainbow, God made this after Noah's Flood.

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
How so? When I said after the K-T event I meant exactly after the time of the Dinosaurs, after they became extinct. The mammals that succeeded the dinosaurs also showed gigantism.

Your post said "time of the dinosaurs and some time after the K-T event" The time of the dinosaurs was before the K-T event some 65,000,000 YBP hence why I said it was a contradiction.

• Agree
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
-_- the properties of light itself would have to be drastically different in order for there not to be rainbows. Different in ways that would mess up how life and energy functions and make life impossible. If it is refraction behaving differently, then a colorless world would be a possibility, but clearly, color is mentioned as existing in the bible prior to the flood. In any case, rainbow in the bible is just a mistranslation of the word "bow", which is to say, the deity was disarming itself.

I get how an Atheist wouldn't get it, but at least understand that some see God as powerful enough the create the universe, hence all the science that follows. That said, you might be able to get an idea of what some of us think about your arguments. Though they may be good on a level as we know science, there are properties that go way above that. But if you don't believe Christ walked on water, calmed a storm, did miraculous healing, then you can't possibly get it, I suppose, but again, understand how we do..

In short, believe it or not, some Christians believe there are powers way above what we are aware of.

Jesus used science to heal, his celestial assistants knew how it was done.

I have little doubt about it...the very reason I mentioned science "as we know it". There is an explanation to everything, and just because we don't understand it, doesn't make the seemingly magic, magic.

One small example, a camera was once thought to magically steal a persons soul to people that didn't understand it. Some Atheists love/rely on their "Your magic God comment" And though a bit small minded, it is understandable because few if any of us know any better because our level of science doesn't cover it. Only by faith can we be aware of it, but still not understand it, and it may even appear as magic by Christians...it is not....again, there is an explanation.

Speaking of "The Flood"... Here's something I'm going to watch now,from a Controversial Christian You Tube channel!

I'll try to get a look at that. :)

Upvote 0

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I didnt say rainbows areally unusual. I said they were rare.

Let's assume you see 40 rainbows a year (in the sky - which is incredible.) That is an 11% view rate.

It is only Sunday 14% of the time. Does that make Sundays rare?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ygrene Imref

Feb 21, 2017
New York, NY
✟70,839.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
It is only Sunday 14% of the time. Does that make Sundays rare?

It depends on the circumstances - that is why statistics are ridiculous.

It is only Sunday 14% of the time because timescale is cyclic; rainbows are not periodic.

Rainbows need rain first, then the correct angle of incidence/lattitude, then the correct diffraction, and then the correct medium without deconstruction to disperse the diffraction light.

This is rare to have every single one of these parameters work out to produce a bow in the sky. The fact that we may see it 40 times in one year doesn't take away from the rarity of a rainbow - especially when you consider a more precise timescale (like a decade, or a century.)

Seeing 40 rainbows in one calendar year is one thing. Seeing 40 rainbows in the last 1580 days is a different story.

Upvote 0

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

It is only Sunday 14% of the time because timescale is cyclic; rainbows are not periodic.

Rainbows need rain first, then the correct angle of incidence/lattitude, then the correct diffraction, and then the correct medium without deconstruction to disperse the diffraction light.

This is rare to have every single one of these parameters work out to produce a bow in the sky. The fact that we may see it 40 times in one year doesn't take away from the rarity of a rainbow - especially when you consider a more precise timescale (like a decade, or a century.)

Seeing 40 rainbows in one calendar year is one thing. Seeing 40 rainbows in the last 1580 days is a different story.

One day in every nine would not be most people's definition of rare.

Upvote 0

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

In the British currency, which was in use before 1974, a 1922 penny was rare. Rare did not mean that one in every nine pennies had a 1922 date on it. It meant that, if you had the unbelievable good fortune to find one in your change, you would be able to make a fortune by selling it for many many times its face value.

Upvote 0

Ygrene Imref

Feb 21, 2017
New York, NY
✟70,839.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
One day in every nine would not be most people's definition of rare.

Yes well I am also assuming the person that told me they saw 40 rainbows in a year isn't embellishing. Still, and judging by the responses in the forum, not every color diffraction of light through water is a rainbow.

So, many people including hoses, mountain faces, and other non-sky bow phenomenon are grossly inflating their sightings.

For starters, at MAX, most every person on the planet can only see a rainbow about 50% out of the year. Out of that, the chances of seeing a rainbow during a season (or instant) of rain goes down with respect to a slew of other parameters (season/inclination, incidence, opacity...)

So, while people may think they have seen a rainbow often - and likely do see diffraction of the visible light spectrum through media - it is likely that it is not a rainbow - or SKY BOW from a rain storm. That number is likely 1-10 (max) times a year. At 10x a year, that is ~3% sighting - much more realistic. If we do the probability of seeing a rainbow 10x a year assuming an area only has ~170 rain days, that gives the same result.

3% is rare: and that is assuming people consistently see 10 rainbows EVERY SINGLE YEAR (as opposed to over >365 days.)

Rare.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ygrene Imref

Feb 21, 2017
New York, NY
✟70,839.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
In the British currency, which was in use before 1974, a 1922 penny was rare. Rare did not mean that one in every nine pennies had a 1922 date on it. It meant that, if you had the unbelievable good fortune to find one in your change, you would be able to make a fortune by selling it for many many times its face value.

Well, in that case rarity was definitely a subjective issue -which is usually is anyway.

People do not see rainbows nearly as often as they think; actual sky bows due to RAIN are rare. The physics of making a rainbow from a rainstorm doesn't just "come together" so that a rainbow is more than rare. Everything needs to be within range of the conditions of producing a rainbow - which is in itself rare.

(You can actually calculate the probability, for example, that light at a certain incidence will produce enough constructive waves that yield a partial or total sky bow. But, this isn't the only parameter in which stochastic models would be needed to precisely predict the collective probability of a sky bow.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,429.00
Faith
Atheist
Yes well I am also assuming the person that told me they saw 40 rainbows in a year isn't embellishing. Still, and judging by the responses in the forum, not every color diffraction of light through water is a rainbow.

So, many people including hoses, mountain faces, and other non-sky bow phenomenon are grossly inflating their sightings.

For starters, at MAX, most every person on the planet can only see a rainbow about 50% out of the year. Out of that, the chances of seeing a rainbow during a season (or instant) of rain goes down with respect to a slew of other parameters (season/inclination, incidence, opacity...)

So, while people may think they have seen a rainbow often - and likely do see diffraction of the visible light spectrum through media - it is likely that it is not a rainbow - or SKY BOW from a rain storm. That number is likely 1-10 (max) times a year. At 10x a year, that is ~3% sighting - much more realistic. If we do the probability of seeing a rainbow 10x a year assuming an area only has ~170 rain days, that gives the same result.

3% is rare: and that is assuming people consistently see 10 rainbows EVERY SINGLE YEAR (as opposed to over >365 days.)

Rare.
Seems to me whether one considers something 'rare' is contextual; rainbows here (UK) are extremely rare in terms of rainbows per hour, considerably less rare in terms of rainbows per daylight hour, not particularly rare in terms of rainbows per daylight raining hour, and so-on.

There is also the consideration that rainbows may be present whether you see them or not. Some people will see many more rainbows than others in the same locality because they look out for interesting atmospheric phenomena when there's rain about. I would expect cloud watchers to see many more rainbows in a year than Pokemon catchers... I've seen three memorable rainbows this year (one a double), and a few barely distinguishable ones - but I keep a weather eye out.

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I get how an Atheist wouldn't get it, but at least understand that some see God as powerful enough the create the universe, hence all the science that follows.
-_- I get that just fine, however, how rainbows work is heavily integrated into how light and refraction works. Unless you think the deity effortfully prevented the phenomenon prior to the flood, it still wouldn't make sense for rainbows not to exist prior to the flood if color and light existed. Not that it really matters, seeing as rainbow is a mistranslation to begin with. Though you chose not to comment on the fact that the word is actually supposed to be "bow", as in the weapon.

That said, you might be able to get an idea of what some of us think about your arguments. Though they may be good on a level as we know science, there are properties that go way above that. But if you don't believe Christ walked on water, calmed a storm, did miraculous healing, then you can't possibly get it, I suppose, but again, understand how we do..
Sure, magic it all away... the issue with that being the lack of evidence for magic and miracles. Furthermore, you underestimate the capacity of people to understand others that think differently than you do. I may be autistic, but even I can comprehend that a person with different beliefs than myself is going to have a different perspective than I do, and have some idea of what that perspective could be. If I believed in magic, then yes, that would probably be an acceptable explanation to me. Consider, instead, not the differences in our beliefs as much as why they are different to begin with.

In short, believe it or not, some Christians believe there are powers way above what we are aware of.
-_- how ignorant of your religion do you think I am? I am well aware that most Christians consider the god they worship to be omnipotent, or to be exceedingly powerful at least.

Upvote 0

Ygrene Imref

Feb 21, 2017
New York, NY
✟70,839.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
Seems to me whether one considers something 'rare' is contextual; rainbows here (UK) are extremely rare in terms of rainbows per hour, considerably less rare in terms of rainbows per daylight hour, not particularly rare in terms of rainbows per daylight raining hour, and so-on.

There is also the consideration that rainbows may be present whether you see them or not. Some people will see many more rainbows than others in the same locality because they look out for interesting atmospheric phenomena when there's rain about. I would expect cloud watchers to see many more rainbows in a year than Pokemon catchers... I've seen three memorable rainbows this year (one a double), and a few barely distinguishable ones - but I keep a weather eye out.

I agree. Based on the solar physics alone, some latitudes will have a higher probability of seeing a higher frequency of sky bows at certain times of the year.

That is why my generalization about the rarity if rainbows... is a generalization.

But, I would be open to a thread focusing on directly calculating the probability of experiencing/witnessing a sky bow - and therefore directly calculating the "rarity" with respect to certain parameters.

Upvote 0