• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured Radical Muslims Murder 32 Nigerian Christians, Torch Church in Brutal Attack

Discussion in 'Current News & Events' started by 98cwitr, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Justified112

Justified112 Well-Known Member

+268
    United States
    Baptist
    Single
    No, that's actually history. And they were not "tourists." They were pilgrims. The Pope recruited people who had no compunction about killing anyone. They used a lot of hardened criminals, murderers in particular and offered them freedom in exchange for fighting during the crusades. It was cheap labor. Anyone who thinks the crusaders were genuine Christians doesn't know history.

2. Justified112

+268
    United States
    Baptist
    Single
    That's about as unchristian as it gets. True followers of Jesus would never have done what the crusaders did.

3. JosephZ

JosephZ Well-Known Member

+653
    Philippines
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Others
    Can you provide us with the source of where your information on the history of the crusades comes from?

4. Jonathan Walkerin

Jonathan Walkerin Active Member

+249
    Sweden
    Catholic
    Married
    The Pope also wanted to get rid of the knights - who were apply described as being closer to Tony Soprano than Lancelot - pillaging around so firing them at Holy Lands was perfect solution. When throwing hand grenade at your enemies you do not really worry about the health of either one.

5. Justified112

+268
    United States
    Baptist
    Single
    Which mitigates against the knights of the crusades being actual Christians. They were simply criminals bearing a false title.

The Crusades are always used to try and draw a moral equivalence between Christianity and brutality of Islam, as if both are guilty of the same thing, which is a complete and total farce.

6. Justified112

+268
    United States
    Baptist
    Single
    I am not dismissing what they did, nor am I justifying it. I am saying that Christianity is often unfairly maligned by those who use the Crusades to make the Christian religion appear to be violent. History tells us that the crusaders were not actual Christians. They fought under a Christian banner, but they were bribed to do so. They were criminals and not Christians.

7. Justified112

+268
    United States
    Baptist
    Single
    No, it is not Islamophobic. It is based on real history. History tells us that it was the Muslims who were murdering Christian pilgrims who were traveling to the Holy Land for purely religious purposes. The Crusades, however, misguided, were a response to Muslim atrocities against Christians. That is not hate speech. It is informed speech; speech informed by history. That's something more liberal Christians need to learn regarding this matter.

8. usexpat97

usexpat97 kewlness

+701
    Presbyterian
    Single
    Let's see...driving out the inhabitants of the "holy land" from their 200-year-old homes, murdering them, leaving them homeless, jobless, and country-less, because "God told them" to violently take the land? Because of some religious event(s) that happened 4000 years ago? Sounds "Christian" to me. Sounds like something going on right now. I think a certain member here on CF whose name starts with a J supports it.

9. Justified112

+268
    United States
    Baptist
    Single
    God gives man free will. I think it is worth pointing out that while much of institutional Christianity was and has been a false form of Christianity, there has always been a remnant of authentic Christians, genuine followers of Jesus.

Jesus said, "strait is the gate and narrow is the way to eternal life and few there will be that find it." The majority of mankind has always preferred the wide gate and broad road to destruction. We see it today, just like we see it in history.

Just like the Crusaders, there are many people today who claim to be "Christians" for reasons that have nothing to do with Jesus. There are those who define Christianity in terms of their participation in the external Christian community, who think they are Christians because of their parents or upbringing. They see no need to come to Jesus personally for salvation because they were raised in a church and feel they have been good enough to merit God's favor. There are some who were baptized as infants and have not darkened the door of a church since.

Authentic Christianity has always existed parallel to the cultural Christianity. Cultural Christianity is a form of Christianity that does not really have Christ in it, at least not when it comes to embracing Jesus personally as Savior and Lord in the biblical sense.

10. Justified112

+268
    United States
    Baptist
    Single
    I don't know where you are getting that from, but that is the usual twisted, contorted version of history that I hear a lot. That certainly isn't in the Bible. And it is certainly not happening now.

11. usexpat97

usexpat97 kewlness

+701
    Presbyterian
    Single
    I don't know...that just seems to me a little ironic that the same person who would denounce the Crusades as "non-Christian" would support this prophetic "return of the Jews to the Holy Land", bulldozing the Palestinians' homes in the process.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. Justified112

+268
    United States
    Baptist
    Single
    Well, there again, I refer back to the fact that your account of what is happening isn't really accurate. Israel bulldozed Palestinian houses that were used as bomb making factories, armories, etc. It is a common practice among groups like Hamas to position themselves among the non-combatants and to use civilian buildings as cover for their operations. The media, which is generally, anti-Israel often misreports the facts.

They also support a false narrative surrounding the history and dynamics of the conflict. For example, it was the surrounding Arab nations that made the Palestinians refugees, telling them to leave their homes in advance of their six-nation alliance that would crush Israel back in 1948. They didn't count on Israel winning that war. But Israel won and the Arabs prevented in coming years, through the United Nations, any repatriating of Palestinians. Israel didn't make them refugees, the Arab community and they still do. It was the Arabs who have consistently put up a roadblock to the formation of a Palestinian state (1936, 1947, 2000). Israel has always supported a Palestinian state. But the Arabs voted against it at every turn.

So I am sorry, but history is actually on my side. I am not saying that Israel is perfect and I cannot defend everything Israel has done. But many of the mistakes Israel has made would not have been made in the first place were they not subjected to non-stop day and night terrorism and calls for Israel's destruction. Israel does not owe the Palestinians a state, Israel did not make them refugees and it is unfair and unreasonable to expect Israel to resolve a refugee crisis they did not create.

13. JosephZ

+653
    Philippines
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Others
    Does your use of "etc" include homes used for raising families and farming? It's not just properties being used for making bombs and used as armories that are being taken, it's homes and lands that have been in families for many generations (Long before 1948) that are also being claimed by Israel. These properties not only belong to Palestinian Muslims, but also Palestinian Christians and Jews.

Christians in Jerusalem warn of Israel attempts to take their land
    Catholic church slams Israel’s razing of its property
    Christians refuse to leave Bethlehem farm
    Churches call for urgent action for Cremisan Valley — World Council of Churches
    Bethlehem Christians feel the squeeze as Israeli settlements spread

This link goes to a 90 page report which includes many pictures, maps, and testimonies concerning the Israeli confiscation of private Palestinian land in the Cremisan Valley.
    http://fr.lpj.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Cremisan-Report.pdf

It's bad enough that your history on the Israeli conflict is distorted, but to claim that the crusades were not carried out by Christians? History is certainly not on your side.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  14. JosephZ

+653
    Philippines
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Others
    I asked you this question earlier in the thread, but maybe you overlooked it.

15. FireDragon76

FireDragon76 Mystery Worshipper Supporter

+8,994
    United States
    Lutheran
    Legal Union (Other)
    US-Democrat
    That seems to be the case, it's mostly ethnic conflict and conflict over resources.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. kcnalp

kcnalp Member

+20
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Widowed
    2 Timothy 3:12
    12 All who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution.