Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Ok, so is this "racist" as in "only non-whites can suffer racism", or are we going to see nonwhites being called out for generalising white people, and using racial epithets to them while decrying the same being done to them?

And what sort of racism are we talking about? Are we talking about "I wore a sombrero to a Halloween party at college one time 20 years ago" or "I actually think people should be treated differently based on race"?
It was stated that there were people of different ethnicity in the group from my understanding.

I think the kind of racism being spoken if is any kind that is making the individual feel as if they could improve their attitude about race whatever that means to them. I assume most want to shed inherent beliefs in stereotypes and assuage fears.

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
It was stated that there were people of different ethnicity in the group from my understanding.

There's people of different backgrounds there yes, but that doesn't mean there is symmetry in what is considered racism, who can be racist, who can be a victim of racism etc.

The only examples given are of people being racist to non-whites.

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
Actually come to think of it, this goes rather against the spirit of 12-step in one regard.

In the meetings I've attended, I don't recall anyone commenting on what someone else has said and trying to make suggestions or correct it. At least not as part of the actual meeting. The meetings were set up specifically to avoid that kind of thing.

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟731,357.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
because they may think (and not unreasonably) that racism is thrown around too often for things that aren't racist

because they may be wary of how the group defines racism seeing as it's been twisted by many to mean "something that can only be done to nonwhite people"
I assume these are people who come together that have varying definitions of recism. Since it is for the individual to choose to participate or not I don't see hw they are throwing around racist accusations. If an individual does not feel they are racist, they just simply do not attend the group.

There are obviously reasons why people might be wary of this. This is an overtly politicised 12 step group. And this is supposedly not obligatory and about self-improvement, but a "well you must be a racist if you don't want to take part" isn't really in the spirit of that.
I don't think anybody has said you are racist if you don't want to take part. If you don't feel you are racist, you would have no reason to.

We've already talked about how 12-steps aren't above critique, this is no exception. As I said above, a huge amount depends on how racism is defined and who can be held accountable for it. If it includes black people confessing hatred of white people as a group too, or similar, then that's a step in the right direction. More of the same rhetoric we see in the press where it's impossible for black people to be racist against whites? We don't need that.
I think like with most 12 step groups it'sup to yu to keep yourself accountable. I don't see any reason why it should be focused on only white people's racism. I don't think that was ever implied.

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
I think like with most 12 step groups it'sup to yu to keep yourself accountable. I don't see any reason why it should be focused on only white people's racism. I don't think that was ever implied.

That's not quite what I said. I was focusing more on the commonplace assertion that it is impossible to be racist against white people. If RA includes that under its definition of racism, or considers that an acceptable definition of racism, all well and good. If not, then it doesn't seem particularly worthwhile.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟731,357.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
That's not quite what I said. I was focusing more on the commonplace assertion that it is impossible to be racist against white people. If RA includes that under its definition of racism, or considers that an acceptable definition of racism, all well and good. If not, then it doesn't seem particularly worthwhile.
I totally agree, anybody can hold to stereotypes and have fears and resentments ofother races,not just whites. I would assume that should be understood in anysort of "RA" group.

Reactions: Gadarene
Upvote 0