Racist Bullying? Religious School In Texas Argues Courts Can't Intervene.

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
A teenage student and his family have sued a religious private school in Texas after the teen allegedly experienced bullying of a racist nature. The student claims the school did next to nothing to stop the bullying. But the school says its religious doctrine makes it immune from legal repercussions.

I guess a one-day suspension is better than having to write a letter for rape.

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I guess a one-day suspension is better than having to write a letter for rape.
This is a sticky story, for sure. The way the article is written it certainly sounds like they are hiding behind a religious exemption. But the article is written in such a way to suggest there should not be an exemption for the school at all. The thought that came to my mind is spanking. The Bible endorses spanking as a means of discipline, but the politically correct attitude today would call it cruel and unusual punishment. Since it is a private school, customers agree to the policy of the school, which is why they enroll.

Another question not addressed is why is this child the only black student in the school? Is it the cost? Is it the location? Galveston is a college town on the Gulf so I doubt those are the reasons.

The last thought that the article brings to my mind is just because people say they are Christians does not mean they are Christians. By their fruit you will know them. Mark David Chapman is called a "born again Presbyterian" in Wikipedia who shot John Lennon years ago because he hated the message John Lennon sang. Being called something does not make one so.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
This is a tough one.

“This is a simple negligence case ― whenever you send your kid to a school you expect a certain standard of care,” Sounia Senemar, the family’s lawyer, told HuffPost.

Alas, this is not true. Private schools have a lot of leeway. Just think of the Sandcastle school registered by the Turpin family with their dozen kids locked up inside their home. No inspections, no nothing. That's an extreme example, but private schools are much less regulated than public schools. ("For private schools, though, the Legislature crafted the scholarship programs to operate with scant state oversight, endorsing a philosophy that the free market would sift out poor-quality schools.")

“As a religious institution, Trinity has a constitutionally-protected freedom to make decisions regarding the discipline of its students without judicial interference,”

This is probably true. As long as the incidents were not of a severity to get the law involved, the school can probably do as it likes. If you're gay, you can be expelled. If you're bullied, they have no obligation to do anything for you.

So bottom line, this is probably a bad school, and one that uses religion as a bludgeon, but that's not going to win any lawsuits. It is not 'malpractice', because religious schools are exempt from a lot of ordinary rules of practice. So, the invisible hand of the free market has caused this student to leave this bad school. See, everything's working fine!

Upvote 0