Washington
✟686,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Why do we always feel the need to protect our own race?

I am an African-American as you can tell on my profile picture. And of course, I have dealt with prejudice. But so have my parents who adopted me and they are both white. My mom's parents decided to disinherit her if she was to adopt black children. Nothing came of it, though. Eventually my grandparents came around.

Talking about racism is very controversial, which I notice. If I tell somebody my experience all of a sudden, "you people are just as racist as you claim us of being," they start screaming at me. The thing is, I never claimed that African-Americans were innocent of everything.

I know that 50% of violet crimes are committed by blacks, according to data; and there is only 13% of us in America. That is sad. I know that only 68% of African-Americans will graduate high school. That is really sad. I know that 93% of African-Americans who are murdered are murdered by someone else who is black. I know that many African-Americans cry racist at a drop of a hat. Sometimes just mentioning the fact that they are black is offensive to them. For example, someone may say that black man is really nice. All of a sudden, a black man hears it, and gets mad, which I fine ridiculous.

I know all of this and I don't make excuses for them.

And people have no problem pointing this out to me as though I am responsible for the actions of other African-Americans. They'll say when I am talking about experience with prejudice, "well your kind does this or your kind does that." They are not usually wrong. But I am not responsible for the actions of other black Americans, just like the majority of whites are not responsible for the actions of the Ku Klux Klan. When I tell my experience with racism, it is not an attack against the white race. That would be ridiculous. All my friends are white, well, the few ones I have. My parents, who I love, are also white. I have brothers and sisters who are white. And if someone, who happens to be white, tell me their experience with racism by other African-Americans, I don't get mad. I recognize that racism exist in all cultures.

Why do people have to scream at each other about what their race does? If they can't tell, there is something negative is almost all cultures. There is plenty of blame to go around. But people, not all people of course, tend to put the blame on innocent people if their race commits crimes. Well, it happens to me a lot.

I am not innocent in the fact that I am a sinner who deserves God's wrath.

But I have never assaulted anyone, never sold drugs, never killed anyone, never broke into somebody's house, never stolen anything, ect. I am a law-abiding citizen. I have never been to jail. The idea of going to jail frightens me.

But I have had people hold me responsible for what my so-called kind has done.

I don't deny the crimes that African-Americans have done. But I shouldn't be held responsible for them.

So my question is why do we feel the need to defend our races? When I talk about my experience with racism, people who are white feel like I am attacking them. I am not.

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I'd imagine no one likes being objectified, and when the objectification is negative and connected to your personal genetics, that's really gotta irritate anyone.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟312,889.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think that any comment/insult said about anyone in ones particular race/ethnicity/gender is felt by everyone of the same. Blanket statements that generalize and marginalize are useless in trying to persuade them to your understanding.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single

I am an African-American as you can tell on my profile picture. And of course, I have dealt with prejudice. But so have my parents who adopted me and they are both white. My mom's parents decided to disinherit her if she was to adopt black children. Nothing came of it, though. Eventually my grandparents came around.

Talking about racism is very controversial, which I notice. If I tell somebody my experience all of a sudden, "you people are just as racist as you claim us of being," they start screaming at me. The thing is, I never claimed that African-Americans were innocent of everything.

I know that 50% of violet crimes are committed by blacks, according to data; and there is only 13% of us in America. That is sad. I know that only 68% of African-Americans will graduate high school. That is really sad. I know that 93% of African-Americans who are murdered are murdered by someone else who is black. I know that many African-Americans cry racist at a drop of a hat. Sometimes just mentioning the fact that they are black is offensive to them. For example, someone may say that black man is really nice. All of a sudden, a black man hears it, and gets mad, which I fine ridiculous.

And people have no problem pointing this out to me as though I am responsible for the actions of other African-Americans. They'll say when I am talking about experience with prejudice, "well your kind does this or your kind does that." They are not usually wrong. But I am not responsible for the actions of other black Americans, just like the majority of whites are not responsible for the actions of the Ku Klux Klan. When I tell my experience with racism, it is not an attack against the white race. That would be ridiculous. All my friends are white, well, the few ones I have. My parents, who I love, are also white. I have brothers and sisters who are white. And if someone, who happens to be white, tell me their experience with racism by other African-Americans, I don't get mad. I recognize that racism exist in all cultures.

Why do people have to scream at each other about what their race does? If they can't tell, there is something negative is almost all cultures. There is plenty of blame to go around. But people, not all people of course, tend to put the blame on innocent people if their race commits crimes. Well, it happens to me a lot.

But I have never assaulted anyone, never sold drugs, never killed anyone, never broke into somebody's house, never stolen anything, ect. I am a law-abiding citizen. I have never been to jail. The idea of going to jail frightens me.

I don't deny the crimes that African-Americans have done. But I shouldn't be held responsible for them.

So my question is why do we feel the need to defend our races? When I talk about my experience with racism, people who are white feel like I am attacking them. I am not.

They're reacting based on experience, sadly. The far left is as obsessed with race as the far right, but their form of racism (often directed at whites and asians) are more openly tolerated. Even on this forum, we have a pair of... shall we say... race enthusiasts who post mostly about the evils perpetuated against their ethnicity. One is white and one is black. Guess which one's threads get treated as legitimate?

Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married

I've seen this happen, and I know it sucks. Even as a white person, I've been told by some that I'm a racist just because I'm white. I couldn't tell you how many times I was called a racist because I refused to vote for Obama. If I bring up the fact that I was an Alan Keyes supporter years ago and voted for Ben Carson in the primaries last year, I've been told it's because I feel guilty about something. People can't conceive that maybe I just happened to like both men.

I can't wait until we get out of here and this age is wrapped up, when we truly know and live like the brothers we all are.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't think it's wise to encapsulate racism in America through your own personal experience.

We often hear "We need to have an honest conversation about racism". I think the Europeans nailed it as they are now realizing that mass immigration of foreigners is changing the culture. America suspended immigration for decades to allow immigrants to assimilate into the culture.

Minorities have established their own culture within the culture here, with no intention of assimilating. It is these cultural differences that promote racism. Blacks had the chance to assimilate starting in the 1960's, but chose instead to "Africanize" their culture starting with abandoning Anglo first names. What followed were 'tribal' criminal gangs exhibiting the same violence seen yet today in Africa, in the form of bloody vendetta's carried out in the streets.

The most prominent face of the black community in America is black crime, poverty, lack of education. The negative traits keep black problems on the front page, while the progress of many is ignored. In other words white people can't see very well past the bad to get to the good. The negatives have sucked all the air out of the room.

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I think that any comment/insult said about anyone in ones particular race/ethnicity/gender is felt by everyone of the same. Blanket statements that generalize and marginalize are useless in trying to persuade them to your understanding.

I apologize

But my goal wasn't suppose to generalize anyone. That is why I said in my post that racism exist in all cultures. That everyone can be racist. I also said,

"I know that many African-Americans cry racist at a drop of a hat. Sometimes just mentioning the fact that they are black is offensive to them. For example, someone may say that black man is really nice. All of a sudden, a black man hears it, and gets mad, which I fine ridiculous."

So I know that there is racism in walks of life. So I did not think I was making blanket statements. I was talking about my personal experience and I was not placing blame on anyone, except those who were harassing me. So, no, my intention was not to making blanket statements. But I should said some people, not all. Because I know not everyone who is white, black, or any other race is a racist.

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I don't think it's wise to encapsulate racism in America through your own personal experience.

We often hear "We need to have an honest conversation about racism". I think the Europeans nailed it as they are now realizing that mass immigration of foreigners is changing the culture. America suspended immigration for decades to allow immigrants to assimilate into the culture.

Minorities have established their own culture within the culture here, with no intention of assimilating. It is these cultural differences that promote racism. Blacks had the chance to assimilate starting in the 1960's, but chose instead to "Africanize" their culture starting with abandoning Anglo first names. What followed were 'tribal' criminal gangs exhibiting the same violence seen yet today in Africa, in the form of bloody vendetta's carried out in the streets.

The most prominent face of the black community in America is black crime, poverty, lack of education. The negative traits keep black problems on the front page, while the progress of many is ignored. In other words white people can't see very well past the bad to get to the good. The negatives have sucked all the air out of the room.

Very interesting

I guess that is irritating.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟312,889.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I apologize

But my goal wasn't suppose to generalize anyone. That is why I said in my post that racism exist in all cultures. That everyone can be racist. I also said,

"I know that many African-Americans cry racist at a drop of a hat. Sometimes just mentioning the fact that they are black is offensive to them. For example, someone may say that black man is really nice. All of a sudden, a black man hears it, and gets mad, which I fine ridiculous."

So I know that there is racism in walks of life. So I did not think I was making blanket statements. I was talking about my personal experience and I was not placing blame on anyone, except those who were harassing me. So, no, my intention was not to making blanket statements. But I should said some people, not all. Because I know not everyone who is white, black, or any other race is a racist.
I must apologize then for making my own blanket statement. I would recommend getting past the thinking in those terms just like you would not think twice about differences between a white or black dog. It's spiral thought patterns that never turn upward to include God's thoughts imo.

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I must apologize then for making my own blanket statement. I would recommend getting past the thinking in those terms just like you would not think twice about differences between a white or black dog. It's spiral thought patterns that never turn upward to include God's thoughts imo.

That is a good suggestion. I know that you are right about that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Christie insb

Sep 3, 2015
Santa Barbara, California
✟60,196.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

I am running off to work but I appreciate your bringing this up. I think some of the crimes African Americans commit are prosecuted because the cops and DA don't identify with a black person as much. I hear about black men who are pulled over and harassed terribly by the cops. As an older white woman, I do not feel at risk for this kind of treatment. And just being pulled over for driving while black, well there can be things someone who was not pulled over didn't get caught for.

Upvote 0

Almost there

Oct 24, 2017
Kentucky
✟44,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Whenever someone tries to objectify me based on some "group affiliation", I laugh in their face. I do the typed equivalent when it happens on the internet.

And I really like the phrase, "the one to bring up race first is the racist."

Obviously that doesn't include when the topic IS race, as it is here.

I always thought it was funny when someone who admitted they were voting for Obama because he was black would accuse me of being racist because I didn't vote for him. :)

That's called projection. ;) And for the record, I didn't vote for him because I NEVER vote for a democrat due to their party's platform.

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
They're reacting based on experience, sadly. The far left is as obsessed with race as the far right, but their form of racism (often directed at whites and asians) are more openly tolerated. Even on this forum, we have a pair of... shall we say... race enthusiasts who post mostly about the evils perpetuated against their ethnicity. One is white and one is black. Guess which one's threads get treated as legitimate?

I don't know what you mean by this.

But I was talking about the evils of all racism, including those done by African-Americans.

But I was also talking about my own experience as a human being.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Whenever someone tries to objectify me based on some "group affiliation", I laugh in their face. I do the typed equivalent when it happens on the internet.

And I really like the phrase, "the one to bring up race first is the racist."

Obviously that doesn't include when the topic IS race, as it is here.

I always thought it was funny when someone who admitted they were voting for Obama because he was black would accuse me of being racist because I didn't vote for him. :)

That's called projection. ;) And for the record, I didn't vote for him because I NEVER vote for a democrat due to their party's platform.

Yeah, I do fine that funny. And I get it.

Upvote 0

Almost there

Oct 24, 2017
Kentucky
✟44,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I think the statistics skew against blacks not because they are black but because of where their race often puts them in our culture. e.g. a higher percentage of blacks are fatherless.

So if you look at certain crime stats relative to fatherless "perps", you find it spans all races fairly equally. So the RESULT is that a higher percentage of blacks commit crime because a higher percentage of blacks are fatherless.

Ben Shapiro says it beautifully:

If you want to succeed, just do these three things:
1. Graduate from high school.
2. Don't have children out of wedlock.
3. Get a job. Any job.

Some of the stats in this video will blow your mind.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I think the statistics skew against blacks not because they are black but because of where their race often puts them in our culture. e.g. a higher percentage of blacks are fatherless.

So if you look at certain crime stats relative to fatherless "perps", you find it spans all races fairly equally. So the RESULT is that a higher percentage of blacks commit crime because a higher percentage of blacks are fatherless.

Ben Shapiro says it beautifully:

If you want to succeed, just do these three things:
1. Graduate from high school.
2. Don't have children out of wedlock.
3. Get a job. Any job.

Some of the stats in this video will blow your mind.

That is good.

Thank you for info. I will watch that.

Also, I am sorry you get accuse of being racist when clearly you are not.

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
If this thread makes anyone uncomfortable, I apologize. I know that racism exist in all race. The point was not to go around say because I am black, and woe is me. My point is not to say I am the victim, or to say how my race is the victim.

Racism affects everyone.

I was bringing up my own personal experience; but I was not blaming anyone that was not responsible. I wasn't blaming whites or blacks or anyone, except those who are responsible.

The point was to ask why, whether you are black or white, we (some people, not all) feel the need to defend their race.

I would like to talk about my experience without someone thinking I am attacking their race. And from what I see, some people, who are not black, get accuse of being racist just because they didn't vote for Obama. That in itself is racist. But if you point out to someone, not all, who is not white sometimes they go off on you.

The point was to talk about racism in general, whether done by whites or black.

Upvote 0

Almost there

Oct 24, 2017
Kentucky
✟44,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If this thread makes anyone uncomfortable, I apologize. I know that racism exist in all race. The point was not to go around say because I am black, and woe is me. My point is not to say I am the victim, or to say how my race is the victim.

Racism affects everyone.

I was bringing up my own personal experience; but I was not blaming anyone that was not responsible. I wasn't blaming whites or blacks or anyone.

The point was to ask why, whether you are black or white, we (some people, not all) feel the need to defend their race.

I would like to talk about my experience without someone thinking I am attacking their race. And from what I see, some people, who are not black, get accuse of being racist just because they didn't vote for Obama. That in itself is racist. But if you point out to someone, not all, who is not white sometimes they go off on you.

The point was to talk about racism in general, whether done by whites or black.
I never apologize for making people uncomfortable within the context of subject matter, at least. That is how people grow.

One of my daughters once said, as I started to discuss a completely reasonable subject, said, "That makes me feel uncomfortable." I said, that's too bad. If you expect to grow up into a solid adult, you need to address topics that make you feel uncomfortable.

Precious snowflakes don't ever grow up.

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I never apologize for making people uncomfortable within the context of subject matter, at least. That is how people grow.

One of my daughters once said, as I started to discuss a completely reasonable subject, said, "That makes me feel uncomfortable." I said, that's too bad. If you expect to grow up into a solid adult, you need to address topics that make you feel uncomfortable.

Precious snowflakes don't ever grow up.

Lol

That's good

Upvote 0