✟18,067.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Federal US prison statistics showed:
71% of inmates were black or Latino while only 25% were white
93% of inmates were men while only 7% were women

I've heard other countries have similar statistics. Why isn't everyone outraged by what appears to be a shockingly high amount of racism and sexism in the criminal justice system? I know some are working to correct racism but why don't I ever hear anyone fighting to put an end to sexism in the prison system?

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I've heard other countries have similar statistics. Why isn't everyone outraged by what appears to be a shockingly high amount of racism and sexism in the criminal justice system? I know some are working to correct racism but why don't I ever hear anyone fighting to put an end to sexism in the prison system?

Why do you interpret these figures as racism and sexism?

Upvote 0

samir

Dec 9, 2015
us
✟18,067.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private

My initial reaction was men, blacks, and Latinos commit more crimes but I was told that believing negative things about other groups of people is hateful and unchristian and that it is against the rules here to assert those beliefs.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Check your stats again - I think you will find the vast majority of the prison populations are unmarried males under the age of 30 (at first incarceration)

Most perpetrators of violent crime are unmarried men in their late teens and 20s.

Upvote 0

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

If you want to make the case for racism and sexism, you need to show sentencing disparities for identical crimes. Otherwise your conclusion is not supported by your argument.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you want to make the case for racism and sexism, you need to show sentencing disparities for identical crimes
Agreed.

Upvote 0

samir

Dec 9, 2015
us
✟18,067.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Check your stats again - I think you will find the vast majority of the prison populations are unmarried males under the age of 30 (at first incarceration)

So they discriminate based on age too?

Most perpetrators of violent crime are unmarried men in their late teens and 20s.

Sounds ageist. Why do you hate young people?

Upvote 0

samir

Dec 9, 2015
us
✟18,067.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
If you want to make the case for racism and sexism, you need to show sentencing disparities for identical crimes. Otherwise your conclusion is not supported by your argument.

Are you saying some groups of people commit more crime than others? Liberals have called me a deplorable, hateful, racist, sexist bigot for believing in differences between races and genders.

Last edited:
Reactions: abysmul
Upvote 0

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are you saying some groups of people commit more crime than others? Liberals have told me that's hate, racist, sexist, deplorable, etc. Is it not sexist to believe men commit more crime than women?

I'm saying that is you want to make a case for something you have to produce actual evidence to support that case. It's the same thing I told you on your other thread where you proposed that the alleged wage gap between blacks and whites was because of the inferior intelligence of blacks.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
It would be more logical to point out the disparities in sentencing. Or pretty much any other step in the process. I agree, simply providing the demographics of prisoners with no context means nothing.

Reactions: Strathos
Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
Are you saying some groups of people commit more crime than others? Liberals have called me a deplorable, hateful, racist, sexist bigot for believing in differences between races and genders.
That you interprete the stats the way you do doesn´t tell us anything about the reasons why those persons were convicted.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It would be more logical to point out the disparities in sentencing. Or pretty much any other step in the process. I agree, simply providing the demographics of prisoners with no context means nothing.

Disparity doesn't always equal unfairness or racism. For example blacks might get longer sentences than whites for the same crime, based on repeated offenses, not the crime per se, or race. Blacks reoffend more than whites, thus the longer sentences.

Criminal Recidivism: the Plight of African American Male Youth?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Disparity doesn't always equal unfairness or racism. For example blacks might get longer sentences than whites for the same crime, based on repeated offenses, not the crime per se, or race. Blacks reoffend more than whites, thus the longer sentences.
Any good study takes that into account.

And why do you think it is that they're more likely to reoffend, or rather, to get caught reoffending? Are you under the impression that it's pure chance?

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

And why do you think it is that they're more likely to reoffend, or rather, to get caught reoffending? Are you under the impression that it's pure chance?

Either poor planning on their part or just good police work.

Many reoffend because the state's rehabilitation program doesn't work very well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟433,509.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Why do you think it is?

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Sigh... liberals are to blame for your comprehension? You may need to take responsibility for your own comments

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sigh... liberals are to blame for your comprehension?
Liberals are not to blame for the statistics.

For decades we have known that the majority of violent crimes in the US are committed by unmarried males in their late teens and early 20s. Most of that group are either black (or more recently) Latino.

The statistics are neither sexist or racist. They are what they are.

But the reasons BEHIND the statistics might be sexist or racist or ageist.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The statistics are neither sexist or racist. They are what they are.

But the reasons BEHIND the statistics might be sexist or racist or ageist.

Or their behavior is the result of they're being illegitimate, unwanted, uncared for individuals adrift in a culture of poverty, drugs, and crime, juxtaposed against the greater world of success and plenty, but with no hope of accessing that world other than taking it, by force if necessary. And of course competing, often violently, with others for the 'turf' needed to accomplish this. Add the element of low self-esteem, often compensated for by demanding unearned 'respect' from peers, often under the threat of violence, and you have a recipe for personal disaster.

Upvote 0