• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Race and racism

Lik3

Nov 21, 2011
South Carolina
✟94,571.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Why do I have such a fascination with race, history, and culture? Is it normal? I hate having this. It is as if I have become an expert. How do I overcome this? I believe that the obsession comes from doing research from my family tree. My great grandmother was a white woman, and her child, the youngest was half-black, half-white. He then married my great grandmother, who was light and had black, European, and Native ancestry. Her family descended from free people.

Unless a person was a slave, there was more information on therm that could be added to the census. I know this because of all of my research, I became obsessed. How do I begin to overcome this? I want to add more posts and create more videos on something else than race, racism, culture, and the sinfulness of racism. Is being a person who has this obsession committing the sin of being racist? I would like to think that I am not a racist, but I am not so sure. This is getting on my nerves. Where should I begin? I would like to stop but I don't know how. I have had thoughts off and on since I was 14.

Here is my evidence:
Gail Gerald's Musings: The issue of racism

Homework Assignment: Obsessive thoughts about race and racism 2

Homework Assignment: Christian Walk and the Narrow Road

Homework Assignment: Obsessive thoughts about race and racism

Homework Assignment: My obsession with the topic of race (from a forum post)

Homework Assignment: Obsessions, compulsions, and what I fear most

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Race is likely the least interesting thing about any person. To know nothing about a person other than his or her race is to know nothing at all about that person.
It is not racist to be interested about your ancestry. It is interesting to know something about your roots. It is racism to identity people based obsessively on the color of their skin.

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Why do I have such a fascination with race, history, and culture? Is it normal? I hate having this. It is as if I have become an expert. How do I overcome this? I believe that the obsession comes from doing research from my family tree. My great grandmother was a white woman, and her child, the youngest was half-black, half-white. He then married my great grandmother, who was light and had black, European, and Native ancestry. Her family descended from free people.

Unless a person was a slave, there was more information on therm that could be added to the census. I know this because of all of my research, I became obsessed. How do I begin to overcome this? I want to add more posts and create more videos on something else than race, racism, culture, and the sinfulness of racism. Is being a person who has this obsession committing the sin of being racist? I would like to think that I am not a racist, but I am not so sure. This is getting on my nerves. Where should I begin? I would like to stop but I don't know how. I have had thoughts off and on since I was 14.

Here is my evidence:

Maybe instead of focusing on the race aspect of the family tree, focus on the roles they have played or career they have established.It will show more of how their character, and not their skin color, has created the foundation for you to exist today. It can even give you inspiration.

But you're not racist. I don't see any sign of you showing hatred, you just more have a strong curiosity. Just don't let it be the only aspect. Humans are more complex than just skin color.

• Friendly
Reactions: Lik3
Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate

Here is my evidence:

If you aren't judging people by the color of their skin, and if you aren't accusing all kinds of people of being a racist, perhaps your "obsession" is healthy.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Their race is marked "clear". Ok probably a bad joke, I tried.
You know, I am pretty sure that there are albinos that are not Caucasian. (I just googled it; there are)
"White" is a very malleable definition of race too. For example, in Europe, Spanish are generally seen to be as 'white' (aka European as anybody else.
But once they become Americanized, they get labeled into their own non-white special class, of Hispanic. They are as 'white' as Italians and Greeks and other Europeans like that, who end up being classified as white once they cross the Atlantic.
People from the Middle East, like Iranians lets say, don't consider themselves white, because they are not European. And probably most European descendants note the difference too, but the difference is not racial. All the markers of the 'browns' point to them being Caucasian. Even Hitler believed himself to be an Aryan, which is just another way of saying Iranian.
And what about East Indians. They are not East Asian race, or African race. They probably fall under the broad classification of Caucasian, and even the language group is Indo-European, but there is no way that their skin tone could be considered white in any way.

Upvote 0

godenver1

Christian
Jul 12, 2015
✟29,119.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Is being a person who has this obsession committing the sin of being racist?

Hi again, Lik3.

Your family background sounds fascinating and diverse. There is nothing wrong with wanting to study that. Is your studying out of genuine desire, or is it becoming a compulsion for you? If it's a compulsion, you should try to ease off, and if you can't, then I'd once again recommend seeing a qualified psychologist to help you get your OCD under management.

Assuming you treat all persons the same, regardless of race, gender, orientation or faith, then having a curiousity driven fascination with race doesn't make you racist. Love all your neighbours as yourself and you will be OK. Remember that your OCD doesn't define you, so don't let it.

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
You know, I am pretty sure that there are albinos that are not Caucasian. (I just googled it; there are)
"White" is a very malleable definition of race too. For example, in Europe, Spanish are generally seen to be as 'white' (aka European as anybody else.
But once they become Americanized, they get labeled into their own non-white special class, of Hispanic. They are as 'white' as Italians and Greeks and other Europeans like that, who end up being classified as white once they cross the Atlantic.
People from the Middle East, like Iranians lets say, don't consider themselves white, because they are not European. And probably most European descendants note the difference too, but the difference is not racial. All the markers of the 'browns' point to them being Caucasian. Even Hitler believed himself to be an Aryan, which is just another way of saying Iranian.
And what about East Indians. They are not East Asian race, or African race. They probably fall under the broad classification of Caucasian, and even the language group is Indo-European, but there is no way that their skin tone could be considered white in any way.

Chill, I was joking. I am well aware of all that, lol.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums