I bring nothing to the table
Feb 28, 2007
Upstate NY
✟56,288.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I’d like to get some recommendations on a contemporary translation of the Qur’an or an opinion of the one I own. I have Tahrike Tarsile Qur’an Inc. 4th U.S. edition (2002). I like it but being the only one I have ever owned and knowing what a great importance translation is I desire to own an accurate, comprehensible translation. Footnotes are a must for me. Perhaps the copy I own is adequate but I hope to get feedback from our Moslem membership. What do you recommend?

Thanks,

Craig

sefroth77

May 20, 2005
✟1,387.00
Faith
Other Religion
I’d like to get some recommendations on a contemporary translation of the Qur’an or an opinion of the one I own. I have Tahrike Tarsile Qur’an Inc. 4th U.S. edition (2002). I like it but being the only one I have ever owned and knowing what a great importance translation is I desire to own an accurate, comprehensible translation. Footnotes are a must for me. Perhaps the copy I own is adequate but I hope to get feedback from our Moslem membership. What do you recommend?

Thanks,

Craig

Yes Go on read the Quran with an "Open Mind" and Think hard. Pls Read the Quran with an open mind Thanks.

When reading any scriptures.

1.Read about the Concept and Nature of God found in the scriptures.
2. Its treatment of followers of other faiths
3. See if it gives any indication about the solar system or the Universe
4. Most importantly it must make some sense and should provide logical explantion.

Reading with a open mind will help...Go on read the Quran.

Upvote 0

hamba2han

Jan 30, 2007
✟7,809.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Private
From Wikipedia:

Tafsir al-Qur'an al-Azim, popularly Tafsir ibn Kathir is a classic Sunni Islam tafsir (commentary of the Qur'an) by Ibn Kathir.

It is considered to be a summary of the earlier tafsir by Tabari, Tafsir al-Tabari and it is especially popular because it uses 'hadith' to explain each verse and chapter of the Qur'an.

Upvote 0

français

Atheist/CA-Bloc Québécois/US-Democrat
Oct 2, 2006
Montréal, Québec
✟21,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Bloc
yusuf ali, definetely. i also love the translation by rodwell.. rodwell's though has very anti muslim footnotes (as he was a very devout christian!!) i believe his translation is from the 1800's, but i can't be sure lol.

either way, i always encourage you to get one with good footnotes, and i also encourage you to read the commentary. so if there's a muslim site with commentary.. you should check it out! lol, commentary helps a lot.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Raul7

Feb 12, 2007
✟15,623.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
There is a translation called the Quran Made Easy by Zam Zam publishers. It includes a clear, contemperary English translation, along with Arabic and English-Arabic (pronounciations). And it also includes the meaning and why the certain chapter was revealed.

Here's an example-
http://kitaabun.com/shopping3/article_info.php?articles_id=115

However, I have only found it to be available in the UK. If you still want it, I'll post the link.

Upvote 0

warghaha

Oct 5, 2005
✟905.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
I had alot of trouble reading the Yusuf Ali translation.
The translation by Muhammad Asad -Message of the Quran - is absolutely the best translation for English speaking people.
His commentary is also phenomenal and very widely respected.

Yeah. I think Muhammad Asad's translation is a great translation. Just my opinion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.