• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

Quotas Limited Male Science Enrollment

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by Tomas de Torquemada, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Tomas de Torquemada

Tomas de Torquemada Member

+8
    Catholic
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Vylo

Vylo Stick with the King!

+4,759
    Atheist
    US-Others
    As my favorite sociology professor said "affirmative action quotas are the worst thing to happen to african americans since slavery. It doesn't prepare them for the real world, and those of them that do succeed on their own merits have it cheapened by their own peers"

ApplIcable to gender as well.

3. Tomas de Torquemada

+8
    Catholic
    He chose AA over crack cocaine, collapse of the black family, AIDS, and free trade devaluation of american manufacturing? ^_^

Sociologists, lol.

4. Vylo

+4,759
    Atheist
    US-Others
    Many of those are related to AA. Also last I checked AIDS in America was not epidemic.

5. Tomas de Torquemada

+8
    Catholic
    ... AA collapsed the black family?

AA is mostly a minor, if embarrassing, gimmedat for middle class / upper class blacks. AIDS is indeed epidemic amongst american blacks; around 230,000 have died form it, and it has a prevalence of about 1 in 16 amongst black males.

HIV and AIDS Among African Americans

Something tells me your sociology professor was afraid of AA in case it started to be applied consistently across all ethnys.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  6. cow451

cow451 The Most Interesting Poster in the Forum Supporter

+13,286
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Others
    Oh, now that's really rich.... to complain about Liberals being anti-science when conservatives are pushing Creation "Science" and "teach the controversy" about evolution? Puhleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze!:mad:

There are smart women aplenty that get squeezed out of the sciences because of traditional bias in the classroom. Maybe women getting into the sciences in greater numbers will mean they won't stand still for the dumbing down of science education. My daughter the Chemistry major entering graduate school is the harshest critic of what she calls "stupid education" promoted by fundamentalists.

Were it not for Title IX, there would be virtually no athletics for women in high school or college other than Tennis. Geez Louise.:liturgy:

7. Rion

Rion Annuit Cœptis Supporter

+6,196
    United States
    Lutheran
    Single
    I think you're confusing YEC with everyone who believes in creation (i.e. God created the universe).

Anyhow, AA has contributed to the destruction of black society, I agree.

8. Vylo

+4,759
    Atheist
    US-Others
    More like he recognized it as a terrible system that put people in positions they shouldn't hold.

9. IzzyPop

IzzyPop I wear my sunglasses at night...

+393
    Atheist
    Single
    Ahh...I see a whole lot of 'might's and 'possibly's in that article. Maybe this will be an issue when we have something to see other than wild speculation. Or it could possibly be nothing.

And I do love 'the liberal war on science' from an organization that denies global warming and compares climate scientist Micheal Mann to kiddie raper Jerry Sandusky.

10. SPB1987

SPB1987 Newbie

+26
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    I am no fan of AA, but how is AA related to those? I think it is more of a cultural problem than it is anything else. Unfortunately, this cultural problem has a major impact on their communities and families and is often spinned by left leaning individuals as a result of racism and white oppression when clearly it is a cultural problem within their communities.

11. Thigbee

Thigbee Newbie

+437
    Christian
    Married
    I'd agree.

12. NotreDame

NotreDame Domer Supporter

+1,586
    United States
    Pentecostal
    Married
    US-Others
    What evidence do you have to support your claim of "smart women aplenty that get squeezed out of the sciences because of traditional bias in the classroom"?

Furthermore, you are missing the point of the article. The article is alleging there are fewer women in these fields not because of gender discrimination but rather because fewer women than men choose to major in and pursue careers in math and science. The article even cites a research study conducted by an individual with a Ph.D to support its claim voluntary choices of women not to major or pursue careers in these fields, as opposed to gender discrimination, is the cause for more men in these areas.

The fact that fewer women than men major in science and engineering is the result of their own voluntary choices, not sexism or sex discrimination by schools, notes researcher John Rosenberg, the proud father of a daughter who got a Ph.D. from CalTech
    Based on this evidence, the result of Obama's grand scheme to appeal to female voters would A.) Not result in more women in these fields and by limiting men B.) Result in an overall reduction of people receiving an education and degree in math and science.

13. keith99

keith99 sola dosis facit venenum

+4,512
    Atheist
    Single
    I did not notice any evidence in the article. Only unsupported claims, some that seemed to be based on wild almost paranoid projections.

14. cow451

cow451 The Most Interesting Poster in the Forum Supporter

+13,286
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Others
    Why should I be different than other posters?:D

Actually:

According to the report, women have earned a higher percentage of doctoral degrees in the past 40 years, a positive change. In 2006, women earned almost one-half of the doctorates in the biological and agricultural sciences; nearly a third of the doctorates in earth, atmospheric, and ocean sciences, chemistry, and math; and approximately one-fifth of the doctorates in computer science, engineering and physics.

Unfortunately, in the STEM academic workforce, women are not similarly represented. They make up only 22% of the faculty in the computer and information sciences, 19% of the faculty in math departments, 18% in the physical sciences and 12% in engineering.

So, like in athletics, women are participating at comparable levels, but there is an academic "glass ceiling".

That pattern has been seen in racial bias in athletics where it requires additional external pressure to integrate in "management" even after leveling the participation opportunities.

So, the quota may not be needed for enrollment, but for access to upper levels.

15. NotreDame

+1,586
    United States
    Pentecostal
    Married
    US-Others
    Then you should have clicked on the clink provided to support its claim gender discrimination is not cause for fewer women in the fields of math and science. The rest of its claims are supported by simple mathematics and logic.

If the present numbers of women in math and science are low, not because of gender discrimination, but because women choose not to enter these fields, then placing quotas on men, which will lower their numbers, will, ergo, reduce the overall number of people receiving science and math degrees.

This reasoning does not constitute as a "wild almost paranoid" projection.

16. IzzyPop

+393
    Atheist
    Single
    That would be the paranoid speculation that there will be quotas. Now where in the article is evidence that quotas are coming, just fear mongering and taking a quote here and there as opposed to an actual proposal.

17. NotreDame

+1,586
    United States
    Pentecostal
    Married
    US-Others
    Apparently, you didn't read the article.

18. IzzyPop

+393
    Atheist
    Single
    Nuh-uh!! You didn't read the article! I'm rubber and you're glue!

19. NotreDame

+1,586
    United States
    Pentecostal
    Married
    US-Others
    Great!!!! But you didn't read the article because your characterization of the article is not an accurate reflection of the article. Well, I suppose I should rephrase. Maybe you did read the article, maybe you didn't, I suspect you didn't since your characterization of it is not accurate but it is also possible you read it and have intentionally mischaracterized the article.

20. IzzyPop

+393
    Atheist
    Single
    Post #9
    Not only read the article, read other articles on the site. Care to try again?