South Carolina
✟27,848.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Lately, I've been struggling with my quiet time. Often times I just get into the mindset of it's just another thing on my "to do" list. It turns into something I can just check off and say "Ok, that's done for today."

How do you keep from getting into this mindset?

I want so badly to get the fire back I once had for Jesus. Lately, it's just not there.

How do you stay close to God?

I know the usual answers are read the bible, go to church and pray but is there anything else you do that keeps you close to God?

Strider1002

For when I am weak, then I am strong.
May 10, 2011
Pennsylvania
✟62,542.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Sometimes I wonder if God allows us to experience pain so that we'll remember to come back to Him now and then. That sounds horrible, on our part, because we should want to come to Him all the time, even when things are going well. Yet we have trouble with that. We get too comfortable in our material surroundings.

Upvote 0

PeculiarTreasure

Mishief Mangaged
Feb 3, 2007
South Carolina
✟27,848.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Sometimes I wonder if God allows us to experience pain so that we'll remember to come back to Him now and then. That sounds horrible, on our part, because we should want to come to Him all the time, even when things are going well. Yet we have trouble with that. We get too comfortable in our material surroundings.

This is very true! Often times we (I) treat God like a big Santa Clause in the sky and only go to Him when I'm in need of something.

I do believe God allows things to happen to draw us closer to Him. It sucks but in the long run it's for the best.:)

I think one of the biggest obstacles is I can't really find a church where I feel I truly belong as a 30 year old single.

Upvote 0

Shattered-Reflections

Saved by Grace
Nov 13, 2008
✟10,131.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
There are no shortcuts in relationships. You have to spend the time with someone to get closer. But I understand. There are days I don't even pray or I'll fall asleep while talking to him, but I've learned my closeness to God isn't dependent on my work or my deeds ... and that thought alone brings me closer to Him and fills my heart with such love for Him.

Sometimes we do need to be self-disciplined to move ourselves away from selfish practices into selfless practices, as a duty. There is much commanded of us in the Bible for a reason. But we can let go of the need of any set schedule or check list. Life is messy and unpredictable... so is our relationship with God. And as we grow in love and joy and hope that comes from Him, selfless sacrifice becomes not a check list but a way of life.

In a time when I didn't feel close to God at all and reading the Bible and prayer didn't help. Listening to sermons online, reading Christian authored books, and listening to Christian music helped me. Sometimes the words of someone who's been down our path and has dealt with the exact same feelings can do much more to help point out Christ and His grace. We can become lost or blind or numb to life giving words because of our own sad perspective and fears.

If I could recommend a book ... I might suggest Skye Jethani's book "With: Reimagining the Way You Relate to God". The book breaks down the different reasons people want religion and the different ways we relate to God. It helped me to see why I was being so blind and struggling.

Upvote 0

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm also going to add this:

I'm not a huge fan of daily devotional books or scripture reading plans because I think it's easy to fall into the temptation of doing it out of obligation to the plan than truly wanting to spend alone time with God. My way of spending time with God involves driving out to the lake once a week and just spending about an hour or two between just God and myself. I've found that to be much more useful than trying spending five to ten minutes every day because I have less distractions and more flexible about time.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

I'm not a huge fan of daily devotional books or scripture reading plans because I think it's easy to fall into the temptation of doing it out of obligation to the plan than truly wanting to spend alone time with God. My way of spending time with God involves driving out to the lake once a week and just spending about an hour or two between just God and myself. I've found that to be much more useful than trying spending five to ten minutes every day because I have less distractions and more flexible about time.

I'm with you. Authenticity is everything, those regimented prepackaged devotionals and outlines tend to defeat that, in my opinion.

Upvote 0

PeculiarTreasure

Mishief Mangaged
Feb 3, 2007
South Carolina
✟27,848.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

I love being in nature. It does make me feel closer to God.

Upvote 0

PeculiarTreasure

Mishief Mangaged
Feb 3, 2007
South Carolina
✟27,848.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
There are no shortcuts in relationships. You have to spend the time with someone to get closer. But I understand. There are days I don't even pray or I'll fall asleep while talking to him, but I've learned my closeness to God isn't dependent on my work or my deeds ... and that thought alone brings me closer to Him and fills my heart with such love for Him.

Sometimes we do need to be self-disciplined to move ourselves away from selfish practices into selfless practices, as a duty. There is much commanded of us in the Bible for a reason. But we can let go of the need of any set schedule or check list. Life is messy and unpredictable... so is our relationship with God. And as we grow in love and joy and hope that comes from Him, selfless sacrifice becomes not a check list but a way of life.

In a time when I didn't feel close to God at all and reading the Bible and prayer didn't help. Listening to sermons online, reading Christian authored books, and listening to Christian music helped me. Sometimes the words of someone who's been down our path and has dealt with the exact same feelings can do much more to help point out Christ and His grace. We can become lost or blind or numb to life giving words because of our own sad perspective and fears.

If I could recommend a book ... I might suggest Skye Jethani's book "With: Reimagining the Way You Relate to God". The book breaks down the different reasons people want religion and the different ways we relate to God. It helped me to see why I was being so blind and struggling.

Thanks for the advice! I'll look into that book too!:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PeculiarTreasure

Mishief Mangaged
Feb 3, 2007
South Carolina
✟27,848.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I started a using a devotional book earlier this year; God uses it to speak to me regularly and it's been a great blessing. So, use your own discretion, I guess.

Yeah, I tend to enjoy devo books.:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PeculiarTreasure

Mishief Mangaged
Feb 3, 2007
South Carolina
✟27,848.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It happens to me all the time. I haven't opened my Bible or felt close to God in over a year. Though I do have an app on my phone that gives you a verse a day or something which is kinda cool...sorry this post isnt much help lol

I'm sorry you're going through the same thing. Hope it gets better for you soon.:)

Upvote 0