Xpycoctomos

Aug 15, 2004
Midwest
✟13,419.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
This question is not meant to entrap or prove anything. I realize the group I am asking about is NOT Catholic as is completely heretical and considered such by the Catholic Church for their beliefs regarding Mary.

What is the name of that heretical sect that came from defectors of the Catholic faith who believe that Mary is a fourth person of God (I forget what the name of that would be then...) or at least that believe that Mary is a God. It's a group (albeit small) that I know still exists because my friend came across them in California some years ago.

John

BAFRIEND

Feb 16, 2007
✟23,362.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Don't recall the name but they are fringies who always try to make it look like (or did) that Mother Theresa and/or the Pope are always behind and supporting their postion. They use the term "Mediatrix".

Like with all the fringies, the media loves them. I recall once they had the media going that Pope JP II was about to declare their position as absolute truth Making Mary a co-redemptrix. In Vatican II the Counsel absolutely made it clear that no title bestowed upon Mary would be made nor could take away from the dignity or dogma that Christ alone is the sole redeemer.

The folks you are talking about were really annoying in the last city I lived in (Sacramento) as they stapled their literature on every damn telephone pole you could imagine !

If you do a google using the terms co redemtrix you will find a site for Vox Populi... maybe the heretics you are referring too.

Upvote 0

a_ntv

Ens Liturgicum
Apr 21, 2006
✟35,618.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
This question is not meant to entrap or prove anything. I realize the group I am asking about is NOT Catholic as is completely heretical and considered such by the Catholic Church for their beliefs regarding Mary.

What is the name of that heretical sect that came from defectors of the Catholic faith who believe that Mary is a fourth person of God (I forget what the name of that would be then...) or at least that believe that Mary is a God. It's a group (albeit small) that I know still exists because my friend came across them in California some years ago.

John

I remind you the fact that the believe that Mary had a basic role in the redention is typical of the orthodox best-famous theologicians like Gregory Palamas and Nicolas Casabilas: their doctrine on this matter is by far more developed and more toward the co-redentrix title than the catholic one.

So, if in a future the pope will use the name of co-redentrix for Mary, it would be perfectly acceptable by the orthodox.

Anyway the pope have not it in the agenda, also because the catholic doctrine on this issue is less developed than the orthoodx one

But to state that Mary is a fourth person of God is simply a heresy.

The excesses in the Marian devotion is typical of many sedevacantist groups that are NOT part of the Catholic Church
(sedevantists=who think that the last four or five popes were not truely pope and so that now there is no pope in Rome)

There are many groups, ad instance The Apostles of Infinite Love (this group have also his anti-pope Gregory XVII)

Upvote 0

Aaron-Aggie

Legend
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟23,913.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
I remind you the fact that the believe that Mary had a basic role in the redention is typical of the orthodox best-famous theologicians like Gregory Palamas and Nicolas Casabilas: their doctrine on this matter is by far more developed and more toward the co-redentrix title than the catholic one.

So, if in a future the pope will use the name of co-redentrix for Mary, it would be perfectly acceptable by the orthodox.

Anyway the pope have not it in the agenda, also because the catholic doctrine on this issue is less developed than the orthoodx one

The excesses in the Marian devotion is typical of many sedevacantist groups that are NOT part of the Catholic Church
(sedevantists=who think that the last four or five popes were not truely pope and so that now there is no pope in Rome)

There are many groups, ad instance The Apostles of Infinite Love (this group have also his anti-pope Gregory XVII)
it is also in line with many docotors of the Church
Specficly St. Liqouri

Upvote 0

Xpycoctomos

Aug 15, 2004
Midwest
✟13,419.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

uhh.... re-read my OP. I went to great lengths to state that I KNOW that this is NOT a Catholic belief.

I knew this would happen but I didn't knwo where else to go to ask the question.

Upvote 0

Xpycoctomos

Aug 15, 2004
Midwest
✟13,419.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Don't recall the name but they are fringies who always try to make it look like (or did) that Mother Theresa and/or the Pope are always behind and supporting their postion. They use the term "Mediatrix".

Like with all the fringies, the media loves them. I recall once they had the media going that Pope JP II was about to declare their position as absolute truth Making Mary a co-redemptrix. In Vatican II the Counsel absolutely made it clear that no title bestowed upon Mary would be made nor could take away from the dignity or dogma that Christ alone is the sole redeemer.

The folks you are talking about were really annoying in the last city I lived in (Sacramento) as they stapled their literature on every damn telephone pole you could imagine !

If you do a google using the terms co redemtrix you will find a site for Vox Populi... maybe the heretics you are referring too.
Thanks a lot. This may be them. However, I got the distinct feeling that they were even MORE crazy and not just prone to exaggeration in devotion. However, I could be wrong. Thanks again. That helps.

John

PS: I will state once more that I know that Catholics do not believe Mary is any sort of god or that she is the one who saves us in the way that Christ saves us. I think most of you got that memo, but I want to be sure so as not to give anyone here the wrong impression of why I came here.

John

Upvote 0

ps139

Ab omni malo, libera nos, Domine!
Sep 23, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
✟30,407.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

There is nothing heretical about "co-redemptrix" or "mediatrix"
http://socrates58.blogspot.com/2006/03/biblical-theological-primer-on-mary.html

John - I'm not sure who you are referring to, but I doubt it is the group that Bafriend described.

Upvote 0

Horizonol

Aug 28, 2007
A monastery
✟8,037.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

John

I don't know what the name of the 'group' is, last I heard it was just one nutty guy.

Upvote 0

BAFRIEND

Feb 16, 2007
✟23,362.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
There is nothing heretical about "co-redemptrix" or "mediatrix"

In a sense all Christians are or should be that through our witness and the way we live as St. Paul stated. If we live our lives the way we should, in a sense the titles should apply to all of us believers and not Mary alone.

I think the lack of charity in your post stems from the fact that you knew the context from which I was coming from: the heretical view that Mary is equal to Jesus.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Xpycoctomos

Aug 15, 2004
Midwest
✟13,419.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I just found this group ... Mary is God ???
I think this is the group, or at least it was that crazy and that forward about their belief regarding Mary.

Okay, thanks a lot.

You may now close this thread as the purpose has been reached. Thanks all!

John

Upvote 0

kepha31

Jun 15, 2007
✟44,439.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I just found this group ... Mary is God ???
Fr. Gruner who runs that web site, tv show, and lots of books and magazines...is a suspended priest and his teachings about Fatima are false. http://www.unitypublishing.com/Apparitions/FATHER NICHOLAS GRUNER.htmlFr.

Gruner lives in Fort Erie, ON Canada, my former home town. It is in the Diocese of St. Catherines and verification of Fr. Gruner's suspension can be obtained by emailing the diocese. Fr. Gruner indirectly accuses Pope John Paul II and Sr. Lucia of being liars. Stay away from that Apostate-olate.

http://www.catholicculture.org/library/view.cfm?recnum=3441

Upvote 0

Xpycoctomos

Aug 15, 2004
Midwest
✟13,419.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Fr. Gruner who runs that web site, tv show, and lots of books and magazines...is a suspended priest and his teachings about Fatima are false. http://www.unitypublishing.com/Apparitions/FATHER NICHOLAS GRUNER.htmlFr.

Gruner lives in Fort Erie, ON Canada, my former home town. It is in the Diocese of St. Catherines and verification of Fr. Gruner's suspension can be obtained by emailing the diocese. Fr. Gruner indirectly accuses Pope John Paul II and Sr. Lucia of being liars. Stay away from that Apostate-olate.

http://www.catholicculture.org/library/view.cfm?recnum=3441
I would assume any Catholic would know that what that man teaches has nothing at all to do with Catholicism. Maybe I shouldn't assume that but it's like saying, "There's a senator out there who claims that the USA is a communist country. Be forewarned... this man does not knwo what he is talking about!" \

LOL. I'm not laughing at you. We have some quacks out there that claim to be Orthodox and, unfortunately some Orthodox are dooped into these people's teaching... so it's important that you pointed this out... but it's just frusterating that some could even concieve this as being a Catholic teaching.

John

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.