Questions regarding prophets and prophecies...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChangedHeart

WITNESS AS YOU ARE...
Jan 23, 2007
West Virginia
✟15,265.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
There was a scripture that the Holy Ghost had revealed to my spirit about being a watchman, I was led to read in Ezekiel where he was called to be the watchman over the house of Israel and many other places where prophecies, false prophets, watchmen, etc. were given charge.

I am curious...
  1. What are the duties of a prophet?
  2. How do you know if you are called to be a prophet?
  3. What are different ways a prophet is called?
  4. Are messages of instruction and warnings (good, as well as bad) still to be used in prophecies?
There's many other questions... but those are just to get started...

Any help is greatly appreciated!

God bless!

ChangedHeart

WITNESS AS YOU ARE...
Jan 23, 2007
West Virginia
✟15,265.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It seems that I don't "hear" the resounding voice of God, as some prophets did in the day...

But I can feel a quieted unction in my spirit to give messages from the depths of the spirit. Sometimes I've even had to give messages of warnings in the past to churches and lukewarm Christians.

I'm not trying to ring my own bell... but there's something that the Lord is just getting ready to do... I feel it in the depths of my spirit...

Yitzchak, brother, for some reason I feel led to tell you this...

Your prayers in the night have been heard, the answers are soon to come.

Reactions: Yitzchak
Upvote 0
D

Dave01

When The LORD GOD speaks to you from the throne, you will know it beyond any dought. The words will reverberate throughout your whole being, and you will catch yourself stepping back into time when HE is done speaking to you.

BTW, prophesy is one thing, a prophet is another. People get them mixed up easily.

The office of a prophet will include the gift of the working of miracles and the gifts of healing, besides the revelation gifts. The office has not changed. There is some information on the web about it, but most is not very helpful since the office of a prophet has been abused by many over the years, by those who were not the real thing.

Upvote 0

SharonL

Senior Veteran
Oct 15, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟23,316.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have had 2 prophesies that I was a watchman on the wall. I don't know all that means - but I do have this hunger that cannot be stopped to learn about Israel - the history of past and what is happening now.

I have the hunger to pray for Israel and the Jewish people - I also have this question that never leaves my mind - the Bible says that all of Israel will be saved - does that mean that all the Jews will be saved - past and present -

I guess that the watchman on the wall is just an assignment God gives us to care for Israel and pray for them.

Upvote 0

Optimax

Senior Veteran
May 7, 2006
New Mexico
✟41,659.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There was a scripture that the Holy Ghost had revealed to my spirit about being a watchman, I was led to read in Ezekiel where he was called to be the watchman over the house of Israel and many other places where prophecies, false prophets, watchmen, etc. were given charge.

I am curious...
  2. How do you know if you are called to be a prophet?
  3. What are different ways a prophet is called?
  4. Are messages of instruction and warnings (good, as well as bad) still to be used in prophecies?
There's many other questions... but those are just to get started...

Any help is greatly appreciated!

God bless!

There is a difference between the Office of a Prophet and the simple gift of prophecy.

The gift of prophecy is to edify and can be done by any Christain as the Spirit wills.

The Office of a Prophet is a person that is called to a ministry just as a Pastor is.

With the calling also comes the equipping and anointing to function in that office.

From a person that is called to the office of the prophet will come "prophecies" that will foretell events about people, places and/or things. These will not be just generalized statements but easily identified events that leave no question about "is this it".

This person usually operates in Word of Wisdom, Word of knowledge and faith. They operate in the other gifts as well when the need arises.
:)

Reactions: NacDan
Upvote 0

stone

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 7, 2005
Everywhere
✟73,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
to be a servant of the lord

2.How do you know if you are called to be a prophet?

Nu 12:6And he said, Hear now my words: If there be a prophet among you, I the LORD will make myself known unto him in a vision, and will speak unto him in a dream.
3.What are different ways a prophet is called?

De 18:22 When a prophet speaketh in the name of the LORD, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which the LORD hath not spoken, but the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously: thou shalt not be afraid of him.

of course

Upvote 0

stone

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 7, 2005
Everywhere
✟73,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
BTW, prophesy is one thing, a prophet is another. People get them mixed up easily.

Do you have scripture to show me that prophesy can come from one that is not a prophet?

The office of a prophet will include the gift of the working of miracles and the gifts of healing, besides the revelation gifts. The office has not changed. There is some information on the web about it, but most is not very helpful since the office of a prophet has been abused by many over the years, by those who were not the real thing.

There are several prophets written of that did not perform healings.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

stone

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 7, 2005
Everywhere
✟73,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
There is a difference between the Office of a Prophet and the simple gift of prophecy.

scipture?

The gift of prophecy is to edify and can be done by any Christain as the Spirit wills.

scripture?

The Office of a Prophet is a person that is called to a ministry just as a Pastor is.

scripture?

With the calling also comes the equipping and anointing to function in that office.

I'm thinking that this statement contradicts your other statement that there is a difference between a prophet and prophecy?:scratch:

From a person that is called to the office of the prophet will come "prophecies" that will foretell events about people, places and/or things. These will not be just generalized statements but easily identified events that leave no question about "is this it".

You really think so? Tell me what this means:

And in the vine were three branches: and it was as though it budded, and her blossoms shot forth; and the clusters thereof brought forth ripe grapes:

-is this very clear to all?

This person usually operates in Word of Wisdom, Word of knowledge and faith. They operate in the other gifts as well when the need arises.

scripture?

Upvote 0

Optimax

Senior Veteran
May 7, 2006
New Mexico
✟41,659.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
[/color]

scipture?

scripture?

scripture?

I'm thinking that this statement contradicts your other statement that there is a difference between a prophet and prophecy?:scratch:

[/color]

You really think so? Tell me what this means:

And in the vine were three branches: and it was as though it budded, and her blossoms shot forth; and the clusters thereof brought forth ripe grapes:

-is this very clear to all?

scripture?

Study Ephesians 4, 1 cor. 12 & 1 cor 14.
You will see it. When you are around the 5 fold ministry you also notice what gifts they operate in consistently.

They are also "more powerful" than when a believer operates in them.

Upvote 0

ChangedHeart

WITNESS AS YOU ARE...
Jan 23, 2007
West Virginia
✟15,265.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks for some of the information presented thus far...

SharonL... I can identify and relate on the topic of Israel... just look at my Character...

I am also praying to one day be blessed enough to by a shofar and one of the veils to use during prayers, I forget what they are called.

I do not really care what others think of me any longer, which is a good thing, considering that I used to be a push-over but after God anointed me with that calling (whatever it may be called), I seem to have become more assertive about the Word of God and God's will... indcluding the Voice of the Lord.

Upvote 0

ChangedHeart

WITNESS AS YOU ARE...
Jan 23, 2007
West Virginia
✟15,265.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Oh regarding the difference between the prophet and the "simplicity of prophecy"...

[bible]1 Corinthians 14:32[/bible]

There is no difference. ;) Mainly because to prophesy, one must have the spirit of a prophet... Christ Himself was considered a Prophet... Look at what this verse says...

[bible]1 Corinthians 14:31[/bible]

Doesn't that really make you think?

Upvote 0

stone

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 7, 2005
Everywhere
✟73,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Study Ephesians 4, 1 cor. 12 & 1 cor 14.
You will see it. When you are around the 5 fold ministry you also notice what gifts they operate in consistently.

They are also "more powerful" than when a believer operates in them.

ok, lets take a look:

1 cor. 12

12 For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ.

hmm.. i don't even see the word prophet in here?? :scratch:

lets look at another:

1 cor 14

14 For the body is not one member, but many.

i get the feeling this is not speaking of prophets or prophecy, what you say?

Ep 4

I think eph. 4 can be summed up in the last verse:

And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.

Once again, this is not speaking of prophets, although it did mention the word prophet once here:

4:11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;

This chapter is not about prophets.

This one is a good one:

4:14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Optimax

Senior Veteran
May 7, 2006
New Mexico
✟41,659.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
ok, lets take a look:

1 cor. 12

12 For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ.

hmm.. i don't even see the word prophet in here?? :scratch:

lets look at another:

1 cor 14

14 For the body is not one member, but many.

i get the feeling this is not speaking of prophets or prophecy, what you say?

Ep 4

I think eph. 4 can be summed up in the last verse:

And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.

Once again, this is not speaking of prophets, although it did mention the word prophet once here:

4:11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;

This chapter is not about prophets.

This one is a good one:

4:14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;

I can tell it is going to take you awhile. Keep at it. :wave:

Upvote 0

stone

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 7, 2005
Everywhere
✟73,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Thank you bstow for helping me to see something in these scriptures that is a bit helpful for me.

All in all, 1 cor 14 can be summed up also in the last verse:

14:40 Let all things be done decently and in order.

I see that the body of christ is spoken of mostly, and that Paul is establishing order within their churches

Upvote 0

stone

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 7, 2005
Everywhere
✟73,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
*Is in shock...*

Is it just me or is this starting to get off the topic?

Lord, please allow the Holy Ghost to anoint each reply that it may be in agreement with Your Word!

You shouldn't be, i'm answering questions with scripture in context.

What other questions did you have?

Upvote 0

NacDan

Theology never comforted anyone in pain.
Oct 1, 2004
Port Neches, Texas
Visit site
✟11,391.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks for some of the information presented thus far...

SharonL... I can identify and relate on the topic of Israel... just look at my Character...

I am also praying to one day be blessed enough to by a shofar and one of the veils to use during prayers, I forget what they are called.

I do not really care what others think of me any longer, which is a good thing, considering that I used to be a push-over but after God anointed me with that calling (whatever it may be called), I seem to have become more assertive about the Word of God and God's will... indcluding the Voice of the Lord.
Sounds like you want to return to BC (before Christ) worship....veils, shofars....etc....I personally want to live and worship via the new Testament.

Regarding "being called to be a prophet", I don't think there are any more prophets in the sense that most folks think of them. Jesus Himself said, “The law and the prophets were until John. Since that time the kingdom of God has been preached, and everyone is pressing into it." (Luke 16:16)

I do however, believe in the gift of prophecy. All believers have the abilty to receive prophecy as the Spirit directs.

(Rom 12:6 KJVR) Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith;

(1Co 12:10 KJVR) To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:

I wrote in my blog about modern day prophets if anyone is interested.

Danny

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.