Antigua
✟9,886.00
Country
Antigua And Barbuda
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
  • Does Paul/Saul make Apostle #13, or is he somehow 'part' of the twelve?
  • Regarding the two James, is one of them the brother of Jesus?? Is James son of Alpaeus also the son of Clopus? Or is that an entirely different James?
  • Is Thaddaeus the son of one of the James'??
  • Is Barnabas(Paul's sponsor) an Apostle?
I'm trying to write out a list and getting so confuddled.

GallagherM

Jun 13, 2021
Fyffe
✟13,469.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I believe that Paul would be the 12th disciple replacing Judas.

April,
I tend to believe that who was it? Mattias was just selected by a material way of casting lots compared to how Paul was chosen, along with how the other 12 before was which chosen by the will of God to be disciples of Christ. I could be wrong though but that is my view.

• Regarding the two James, is one of them the brother of Jesus??

Matthew 13:55 “Isn’t this the carpenter’s son? Isn’t his mother’s name Mary, and aren’t his brothers James, Joseph, Simon and Judas?

• Is James son of Alpaeus also the son of Clopus?

Not sure on this one April. Maybe someone else may know.

Not sure on this one April. Maybe someone else knows.

Acts 4:36, NLT: "For instance, there was Joseph, the one the apostles nicknamed Barnabas (which means 'Son of Encouragement'). He was from the tribe of Levi and came from the island of Cyprus." I do not believe He was an chosen Apostle like the rest of them.

Hope this helps with some of the question it is possible for me to be wrong.

Reactions: April303
Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟931,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
  • Regarding the two James, is one of them the brother of Jesus?? Is James son of Alpaeus also the son of Clopus? Or is that an entirely different James?
Paul was the Christ-chosen 12th Apostle. The disciples chose Matthais through casting of lots.

Jesus' brother was not one of the 12. Jesus' brothers didn't believe ... until He resurrected and appeared to them (Jude was another).

I suspect that the (2) James named as apostles had different fathers.

I don't think that the Apostles Thaddeus was also the son of an Apostle.

Barnabas was not one of the 12.

Upvote 0

April303

Jul 7, 2021
Antigua
✟9,886.00
Country
Antigua And Barbuda
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I believe that Paul would be the 12th disciple replacing Judas.

April,
I tend to believe that who was it? Mattias was just selected by a material way of casting lots compared to how Paul was chosen, along with how the other 12 before was which chosen by the will of God to be disciples of Christ. I could be wrong though but that is my view.

• Regarding the two James, is one of them the brother of Jesus??

Matthew 13:55 “Isn’t this the carpenter’s son? Isn’t his mother’s name Mary, and aren’t his brothers James, Joseph, Simon and Judas?

• Is James son of Alpaeus also the son of Clopus?

Not sure on this one April. Maybe someone else may know.

Not sure on this one April. Maybe someone else knows.

Acts 4:36, NLT: "For instance, there was Joseph, the one the apostles nicknamed Barnabas (which means 'Son of Encouragement'). He was from the tribe of Levi and came from the island of Cyprus." I do not believe He was an chosen Apostle like the rest of them.

Hope this helps with some of the question it is possible for me to be wrong.
Thank you very much. It gets aggravating trying to identify some of them, when so many have the same or similar names.

Reactions: GallagherM
Upvote 0

Silly Uncle Wayne

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
✟102,646.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single

Many will say (and do above) that Paul was the new 12th apostle, replacing Judas... but the text doesn't actually say that. It is more likely that Paul was a replacement for James, brother of John who is martyred early on. Also the term apostle is used quite generically for a number of people outside of the twelve, as well as one of the ministry gifts in Ephesians 4. So again there is some attempt to make a distinction between Apostle and apostles the former being the twelve (Matthias replacing Judas) plus Paul plus James, the brother of Jesus.

I think that this is a little bit of wishful thinking - apart from ending up with 15 Apostles in total (unless Judas is stripped of his title) it seems a bit artificial. 'The Twelve' is used of the group that knew and followed Jesus during his ministry.

There is also a case to be made for Junia (possibly a variation on Joanna) being an apostle also.

So there are plenty of people who are given that title, which might easily be equated with today's missionaries, or possibly some leadership role within the church.

James, son of Alphaeus is just one of three James' who were considered apostles, two of the James followed Jesus as the twelve and the other was his brother.

Thaddeus, if memory serves, is just a variation on the name Judas (as is Jude, the brother of Jesus). His name might have been altered slightly to distinguish him from the other Judas.

Upvote 0