Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So I like Eastern ways of thinking and understanding things. It all comes much more natural than Catholicism for me so far.

But I have a few questions.

1. Why does there seem to be so much feuding among the Orthodox Churches?

2. Is divorce and contraception permitted? It seems depending on what website I go to I find multiple answers.

Thank you and God Bless

***Answers from Orthodox Christians only please.

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
So I like Eastern ways of thinking and understanding things. It all comes much more natural than Catholicism for me so far.

2. Is divorce and contraception permitted? It seems depending on what website I go to I find multiple answers.

Thank you and God Bless

*Friendly Catechumen answer*
1) Pride
2) That's mainly a meme from Catholics. They are not approved by the Church but there might be pastoral accommodations. Also since Roman Catholics try to take a moral high ground about it, there is a reminder that most of Catholics use contraceptives in the US.

Upvote 0

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
1) we’re all sinners
2) no. Both are sin. Divorce and remarriage are allowed as a concession to our human weakness but are not given an a-okay stamp of approval. Similarly with contraception - the church has unanimously said for 2000 years that it’s not allowed, but concessions may be made at the discretion of a priest/bishop who is guiding a couple in their situation

That’s how I understand the orthodox teaching on these matters, but I stand to be corrected

Upvote 0

Markie Boy

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2017
United States
✟402,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
These are what I'll run into with other Catholics. I'm not having a big issue with Orthodox teaching.

Functionally the RCC gives loads of annulments, having a divorce rate the same as the rest of society pretty much. And they have chucked the no-contraceptive teaching, just turning their heads the other way. I only ever heard proper teaching on it from fellow lay folks, not clergy.

So not here to argue with you guys. But as I confront other Catholics I'm regularly presenting the Eastern perspectives that are really growing on me.

Upvote 0

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟739,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Thank you and God Bless

For the first question I think politics comes into play a bit as you'll find that the church, and state in some of the countries in the Old World have little separation. For example in Greece the clergy are paid by the State. I could be mistaken here as I don't live there, and so I have no firsthand experience, but from the outside looking in that seems to be the case.

The second question, I'll leave be. I'm not learned enough to answer well enough.

Edit : I'll add that doctrinally the Church is one, and not being debated on important issues. Which I personally find to be very important. The worldly things? Of course they're present, but they're present all around us.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Markie Boy

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2017
United States
✟402,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes - and the argument that the RCC is more united is pretty much a pipe dream. Read Catholic news for a week and it looks like revolution and chaos, and so much arguing among each other it's crazy.

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Right now there is ALOT of feuding. Historically there are many reasons such as an emerging awareness of nationalism by the late 18th century of the peoples under the Ottomon empire. As it weakened the various ethnicities under them wanted more freedom to live and express their culture and identities. Then there is a cultural tug of war between siding with western values or keeping them at bay, made worse by international actors who require Orthodox nations to be their allies against other Orthodox nations they view as enemies and to accomplish this end they use political ploys to choose between being friends of the west or its enemy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
One does not need to be orthodox to answer this question.
Why do so many small independant protestant church refuse to co operate or combine when they are uneconomic to run?

Ultimatly the answer is sin. As displayed in being unreasonable, arogant, too proud to say sorry, refusing to accept a compromise, personality clash, you name it it has happened.
Human nature being what it is I suspect it will be the same among orthodox churches, many worse by understandable fears that, 'that priest' is taking 'My' congragation. ( happens in protestant churches too. )

Upvote 0

LizaMarie

Jan 17, 2015
✟142,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not Orthodox but I'm going back and forth between Orthodoxy and RCC right now.(I'm confessional Lutheran and staying put until I figure this out because I'm getting older and no more church switching. )

No Orthodox church less than 80 miles away live in a rural area, I would love to attend a divine liturgy. I just wanted to say there is an excellent thread on the Orthodox view of divorce in St. Justin's if you haven't already seen it with good explanations of Orthodox belief.
As far as contraception I saw a thread over at CAF awhile ago (where I lurk and rarely post) where someone posted that Orthodox bishops basically agreed with Humane Vitae when it came out but it is applied pastorally. It is an older thread.
As far as your fist question that is a concern for me as well, I can't answer.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Contraception is normally discussed between a couple and their priest. Methods that end up as early abortions are not permitted. After our third child, we spoke to our priest about snipping and since we were getting ready to head to seminary and in our late 30s, that was okay. However, there are some wonderful miracles such as our first friends at seminary had an 18 year old, 16 year old and she was pregnant. The youngest is only 13 and already has an associates degree

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Thank you and God Bless

1. The same reason that there was so much feuding between the Apostles and Evangelists, such as that which is reported in Scripture to have happened between St. Paul and St. Peter (Gal 2:11) and between St. Paul and St. Barnabas (Acts 15:36-41). It is because they are so deeply concerned towards and altogether dedicated to the Holy Gospel, yet having their own, unique perspectives, which tend to create disagreements.
2. Both are prohibited, yet tolerated, in certain cases, when it is deemed by the Lord's holy bishops to be more salvific for the effected parties than not tolerating these options.

Upvote 0

Markie Boy

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2017
United States
✟402,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not Orthodox but I'm going back and forth between Orthodoxy and RCC right now.(I'm confessional Lutheran and staying put until I figure this out because I'm getting older and no more church switching. )

No Orthodox church less than 80 miles away live in a rural area, I would love to attend a divine liturgy. I just wanted to say there is an excellent thread on the Orthodox view of divorce in St. Justin's if you haven't already seen it with good explanations of Orthodox belief.
As far as contraception I saw a thread over at CAF awhile ago (where I lurk and rarely post) where someone posted that Orthodox bishops basically agreed with Humane Vitae when it came out but it is applied pastorally. It is an older thread.
As far as your fist question that is a concern for me as well, I can't answer.

We have much in common! I am struggling in the RCC, and the closest EO church is about the same distance for me. It's just too much of a drive for me to make it a part of my life right now. But I truly enjoy learning here.

But I truly enjoy the Eastern ways of thinking.

Reactions: LizaMarie
Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
We have much in common! I am struggling in the RCC, and the closest EO church is about the same distance for me. It's just too much of a drive for me to make it a part of my life right now. But I truly enjoy learning here.

Maybe you should try an online prayer group.

Upvote 0

LizaMarie

Jan 17, 2015
✟142,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

In my case factoring in the winter weather we are starting to experience makes that kind of travel hard, as well. I would so much love to at least get in a vespers service. I really love learning about the Orthodox Church.
One of my big fears, that I've seen come to fruition in the RCC at least, is increasing liberalism. I went through this already in the ELCA.
At least on paper, however, the RCC is still solid though. But from your posts and others I've talked to in person the opposite is true.
I hope it doesn't happen in Orthodoxy.

Last edited:
  • Prayers
Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
In my case factoring in the winter weather we are starting to experience makes that kind of travel hard, as well. I would so much love to at least get in a vespers service. I really love learning about the Orthodox Church.
One of my big fears, that I've seen come to fruition in the RCC at least, is increasing liberalism. I went through this already in the ELCA.
At least on paper, however, the RCC is still solid though. But from your posts and others I've talked to in person the opposite is true.
and just remember even if it does -- the church was majority Arian for quite some time, and She still made it through that period. I hope the liberalism doesn't increase, but if it does, it's because God knows that we need this for our salvation

Reactions: LizaMarie
Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
and just remember even if it does -- the church was majority Arian for quite some time, and She still made it through that period. I hope the liberalism doesn't increase, but if it does, it's because God knows that we need this for our salvation
Yes, the Church is infallible yet the people aren't perfect.

Upvote 0

Markie Boy

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2017
United States
✟402,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Yes - on paper it's still solid. We don't have as many actually teaching wrongly, but more simply avoiding hard teaching.

But you will probably find some wonderful laity - and somehow they seem to collect in the Pro-Life group. That seems to weed out the lukewarms.

Upvote 0

LizaMarie

Jan 17, 2015
✟142,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes - on paper it's still solid. We don't have as many actually teaching wrongly, but more simply avoiding hard teaching.

But you will probably find some wonderful laity - and somehow they seem to collect in the Pro-Life group. That seems to weed out the lukewarms.
Well at least the RCC has remained solidly pro-life, very much so. Many mainline Protestant churches are pro choice.
I will only attend a strong pro-life Church. My confessional Lutheran Church is pro-life and I know the Orthodox church is. And some conservative Protestant churches.

Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0