Questions on Eucharistic Adoration

mnphysicist

Have Courage to Trust God!
May 11, 2005
South East Minnesota (east of Rochester)
Visit site
✟57,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
My late wife was Catholic, and despite being bed confined was crazy about daily mass and Eucharistic Adoration... so I picked up a retired ambulance gurney, and off we'd go. When she'd have a really good day, she could spend 4-5 hours in front of the Eucharist. Me, not being a Catholic would bring my work along, and set up in the adjacent youth center to get work done, albeit I would attend daily mass with her.

The thing is, her faith practices wore off on me, Lol Sadly though, there are pretty much insurmountable issues which preclude me from converting, albeit it seems God has used me a lot to lead others to the Catholic faith. Go figure...

Anyhow, I've got some questions for which google seems to be of no hope, and short of her Bishop, (who I don't want to bother as the poor man is swamped) all of my Catholic theological guru friends from 3d have passed on. My late wife passed some years ago, plus I'm working in another state.

1. Could someone clarify I have these terms correct? Exposed is when the Eucharist is in a monstrance out in the open, or in a tabernacle with an open window. Reposed is when the Eucharist is safely encased within the tabernacle with no window, and/or the window is closed.

2. What is the difference between adoration with the Eucharist exposed, vs reposed. My thought was it made no difference being Jesus presence is 100% there whether behind glass or steel so I asked a few folks... and about the only answer I got was that folks perceived a closer presence exposed. It seems there should be more to this... but other than liturgical norms/laws affecting how things are to be done, I haven't found any answers.

I've got a ton more questions... but as a guest of your forum, don't want to wear out my welcome.

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Question 1 I do not know
Question 2 I do not know but I have a guess

When the Eucharist is exposed in a monstrance there is normally benediction or other formal prayers normally followed by silent meditation and prayer
When reposed it seems to just be silent prayer or maybe a rosary , no formal benediction

Upvote 0

mnphysicist

May 11, 2005
Visit site
✟57,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
They are tough questions... I did some more digging, and it seems there are a couple books which might have some answers. I wonder if anyone has read one or the other and would have any recommendations.

In the Presence of Our Lord, The history, theology, and psychology of Eucharistic Adoration
by Benedict J. Groeschel, James Monti

which supposedly is based upon

The Hidden Manna: A Theology of the Eucharist
By James Thomas O'Connor

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
In the Presence of Our Lord, The history, theology, and psychology of Eucharistic Adoration
by Benedict J. Groeschel, James Monti

I highly recommend that book I just pulled it off the bookcase.
IMG_20190430_184530309.jpg

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Generally exposed is when the Eucharist is in the monstrance. It can also be done with the Tabernacle with a window though those are rare nowadays.

Adoration generally refers to when the Eucharist is exposed. But one can go amd Adore while the Eucharist is reposed.

The importance of the exposed host is it is very much face-to-face.

For instance if someone is able when the Host is exposed they genuflect on both knees.

But you can also go and spend a Holy hour just in the presence of the Eucharist if a parish does not do exposed Adoration.

Upvote 0

Mark_Sam

Veteran Newbie
Mar 12, 2011
✟54,249.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I was also taught that when the Sacrament is exposed in monstrance, it cannot be left alone, i.e. someone has to be there in the church/chapel. But when it's not exposed and hidden in the Tabernacle, this is not a requirement. I pretty sure that's a rule, but I'm not sure.

Theologically, there is no difference between adoring the Sacrament in monstrance vs. in Tabernacle, but when the blessed Sacrament is exposed in the monstrance it has a communal aspect to it, and it certainly brings us close to the actual Sacrament.

Upvote 0

AvilaSurfer

Site Supporter
May 14, 2015
NO
✟936,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yep the exposed Host must always be attended
Ha. A double post. Are you using Michie’s phone?
Anyway, our parish has Perpetual Adoration. It has created some interesting situations due to that rule about being attended.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,372.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
My late wife was Catholic, and despite being bed confined was crazy about daily mass and Eucharistic Adoration... so I picked up a retired ambulance gurney, and off we'd go. When she'd have a really good day, she could spend 4-5 hours in front of the Eucharist. Me, not being a Catholic would bring my work along, and set up in the adjacent youth center to get work done, albeit I would attend daily mass with her.

The thing is, her faith practices wore off on me, Lol Sadly though, there are pretty much insurmountable issues which preclude me from converting, albeit it seems God has used me a lot to lead others to the Catholic faith. Go figure...

Anyhow, I've got some questions for which google seems to be of no hope, and short of her Bishop, (who I don't want to bother as the poor man is swamped) all of my Catholic theological guru friends from 3d have passed on. My late wife passed some years ago, plus I'm working in another state.

1. Could someone clarify I have these terms correct? Exposed is when the Eucharist is in a monstrance out in the open, or in a tabernacle with an open window. Reposed is when the Eucharist is safely encased within the tabernacle with no window, and/or the window is closed.

2. What is the difference between adoration with the Eucharist exposed, vs reposed. My thought was it made no difference being Jesus presence is 100% there whether behind glass or steel so I asked a few folks... and about the only answer I got was that folks perceived a closer presence exposed. It seems there should be more to this... but other than liturgical norms/laws affecting how things are to be done, I haven't found any answers.

I've got a ton more questions... but as a guest of your forum, don't want to wear out my welcome.
I was traveling yesterday and had a few hours with nothing to do. I found out that the local Catholic Church had adoration. So I found the place and went in and wandered around for a while not finding the adoration chapel. But the main church was open, with a tabernacle in front and the little red glass candleholder was showing a red light from the candle therein, so I knelt down and prayed. It's the same Jesus. After a while I went to the bathroom and managed to find their adoration chapel. Again the same Jesus. In the church He was reposed. In the chapel exposed. Present in both cases.

I don't think there is much difference except in the experience.

Do try out benediction some day. And do continue to attend adoration. Pour out your heart or just be silent in His presence. It's all good.

Now what were those other questions?

And I have one for you. What keeps you from becoming Catholic? My opinion is that everyone can do it. And ought to do it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mnphysicist

May 11, 2005
Visit site
✟57,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't think there is much difference except in the experience.
That was my thinking as well... but not being a Catholic, the probability of error based upon my own personal experiences apart from church documents and/or the knowledge/experiences of actual Catholics is pretty high. I really appreciate your answer in this.

Do try out benediction some day.
I have, albeit it was some time ago... its mostly a matter of logistics, being at the right place at the right time when it seems local churches have perpetual adoration, don't have adoration at all, or maybe only an hour once a week which never lines up with my schedule.

A local convent has had perpetual adoration since something like 1880, and those nuns are hard core. In chatting with them, the thought of, never tell a nun something is impossible comes to mind... I bet they drove their priests crazy over the years, in a good way of course, but talk about intense Lol They had a call for photographers to document their chapel a ways back, so I spent a couple days on site.

Now what were those other questions?
I'm thinking it might be best to do so via new thread(s), or I could do so here. What are your thoughts?

And I have one for you. What keeps you from becoming Catholic? My opinion is that everyone can do it. And ought to do it.
In a nutshell, the barrier to entry for converts... my late wife and many others used to call me more Catholic than they were, which isn't really true. My own beliefs as a whole may line up with the Cathechism of the Catholic church more so than theirs does etc, but that doesn't make me Catholic. Beyond that though, I generally avoid discussing in depth, unless I know the person I'm chatting with is rock solid in their beliefs as I would not want anyone to stumble.

• Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,372.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I'm thinking it might be best to do so via new thread(s), or I could do so here. What are your thoughts?
If they are questions about adoration, here would be fine.
In a nutshell, the barrier to entry for converts... my late wife and many others used to call me more Catholic than they were, which isn't really true. My own beliefs as a whole may line up with the Cathechism of the Catholic church more so than theirs does etc, but that doesn't make me Catholic.
Sounds to me like you will make the plunge to swim the Tiber but are looking for the right circumstances. Sometimes though, you just have to dive in. You sound like you are more or less prepared.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

PanDeVida

Feb 21, 2007
✟42,102.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Mnphysicist,

Eucharist Exposed is in the very same way that you will talk to your own living family member face to face, in this case talking to Jesus Christ face to face, but yet better worshipping Christ face to face. Amen

Eucharist Reposed or Hidden from sight in the Tabernacle, perhaps you can understand it this way, it is like when you speak to your departed wife you may not see her but she's listening to you. Whether Jesus Christ/Eucharist is exposed or hidden Jesus Christ is there present Body Blood Soul and Divinity and HE is to be Worshiped and Adored.

If you happen to walk into a Catholic Church and find the Eucharist Exposed, it is THEN that you have been Highly Graced to have seen Him Face To Face.

Pan De Vida

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Upvote 0