England
✟34,246.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello, I have two Catholicism questions!

I’m a confirmed protestant who is very serious about converting to Catholicism. I’m taking things steady and slow, have started attending evening mass as a first step

Correct me if I'm wrong but I understand that the only way to be saved from damnation and to get into heaven is to die in a state of grace?

And that this can only be obtained by having your sins forgiven in confession?

I am not in a state of grace as I’ve never been to confession as I’m not Catholic; I have many sins on me

This is my first question: As I understand it, if I were to drop dead now because of not being in a state of grace I’d go to hell? Is this correct?

This is a big worry for me

Also, I was looking at some of the things that are sins in Catholicism; it looks like I’d have to make considerable changes to how I live my life (changes I’d be happy to make)

This is my second question: As someone who aspires to become Catholic should I start living my life as though I was catholic now, e.g. by abstaining from things that are sinful in Catholicism and by doing Catholic things, even though I’m not a Catholic? Or should I just carry on as normal, until I become Catholic? Which is best?

Thanks for any answers!

Romans 13:3

Jun 6, 2007
This side of heaven
✟112,649.00
Faith
Catholic
Correct me if I'm wrong but I understand that the only way to be saved from damnation and to get into heaven is to die in a state of grace? Basically correct

Not exactly Maybe this will help:What do Catholics believe about Salvation?

I will try to add more, but I am sure others will do you better than I

Awesome that you are seeking answers!

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Hello, I have two Catholicism questions!

I’m a confirmed protestant who is very serious about converting to Catholicism. I’m taking things steady and slow, have started attending evening mass as a first step

Correct me if I'm wrong but I understand that the only way to be saved from damnation and to get into heaven is to die in a state of grace?

I am not in a state of grace as I’ve never been to confession as I’m not Catholic; I have many sins on me

This is my first question: As I understand it, if I were to drop dead now because of not being in a state of grace I’d go to hell? Is this correct?

This is a big worry for me

Also, I was looking at some of the things that are sins in Catholicism; it looks like I’d have to make considerable changes to how I live my life (changes I’d be happy to make)

This is my second question: As someone who aspires to become Catholic should I start living my life as though I was catholic now, e.g. by abstaining from things that are sinful in Catholicism and by doing Catholic things, even though I’m not a Catholic? Or should I just carry on as normal, until I become Catholic? Which is best?

Thanks for any answers!
You certainly can try and live your life according to Catholic teaching now. You can even go to Mass every Sunday. You can abstain from eating meat during Fridays in Lent. However, except in rare circumstances, Protestants cannot partake of the Eucharist, which is a minimum Catholic requirement annually during Holy Week as I recall, and they also cannot make Confession to a priest, in order to have any mortal sins absolved. However, due to the doctrine of "invincible ignorance", the Vatican II Church does not expect Protestants to abide by all of the rules and regulations of the Catholic faith. Having said that, the doctrine of "invincible ignorance" aside, if the late Father Feeney and the Cantate Domino Papal Bull are correct, you and I and all other Protestants and Orthodox on CF do need to convert.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,236,793.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
You certainly can try and live your life according to Catholic teaching now. You can even go to Mass every Sunday. You can abstain from eating meat during Fridays in Lent. However, except in rare circumstances, Protestants cannot partake of the Eucharist, which is a minimum Catholic requirement annually during Holy Week as I recall, and they also cannot make Confession to a priest, in order to have any mortal sins absolved. However, due to the doctrine of "invincible ignorance", the Vatican II Church does not expect Protestants to abide by all of the rules and regulations of the Catholic faith. Having said that, the doctrine of "invincible ignorance" aside, if the late Father Feeney and the Cantate Domino Papal Bull are correct, you and I and all other Protestants and Orthodox on CF do need to convert.
The late Fr. Feeney was not right, and he was excommunicated for his position. He didn't account for readings of 'no salvation outside of the Church' other than Cyprian's. And pope Eugene IV didn't have to contend with the later Protestants so he is not the last word on whether Protestants are damned without becoming Catholics.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,236,793.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Yes indeed.
Your mortal sins. The whoppers. If you die without repenting of those you are damned. The normal way of repentance includes confession. One can also have what is called 'perfect contrition' outside of confession, but humans seldom do anything perfectly. So confession is best by a long shot.
When one is baptized they are in a state of grace. So at some point in your life you were in a state of grace if you were baptized. Some rare people do not sin seriously, but most of us do, so we need to repent. Don't let a day go by without making that right with God. Even if you are not Catholic you can beg God for forgiveness and as He is the God of mercy you are far better off doing that than just presuming you're good.

This is a big worry for me.
Don't presume you wouldn't. It's popular these days for everyone to presume they are saved no matter what. But Jesus seemed to think it could be harder than that. If you are not in a state of grace now, do get back there soon. You can do that as a Catholic, or before you become Catholic.

Start now. You can do everything now but receive communion and go to confession. You can go up at communion and get a blessing though. Usually if you have your arms crossed over your chest it will be obvious to the priest that you are seeking a blessing. And you can go talk to a priest about anything, almost like confession. Just mention that you are not Catholic yet.

As far as things which Catholics consider sinful, those would be sinful no matter if you were Catholic or not, so start observing this now.

Other things like fasting, going to mass, joining the men's group, spending an hour in adoration, those are all open to you now.

Upvote 0

St. Helens

I stand with Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
CF Staff Trainer
Site Supporter
Jul 24, 2007
Lower Slower Minnesota
✟1,226,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
ADMIN HAT ON
Congregational Forum Restrictions
Members who do not truly share the core beliefs and teachings of a specific congregational forum may post in fellowship or ask questions, but they may not teach or debate within the forum.
Also the rating system isn't to be used to make fun of posts. Improper ratings have been withdrawn.

ADMIN HAT OFF

Upvote 0

nopq

May 21, 2019
England
✟34,246.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Don't presume you wouldn't. It's popular these days for everyone to presume they are saved no matter what. But Jesus seemed to think it could be harder than that. If you are not in a state of grace now, do get back there soon. You can do that as a Catholic, or before you become Catholic.

Thanks for your reply :)

So you're saying that I can enter a state of grace before I become Catholic?

That seems to go against my understanding of things. How does that work?

Or have I misunderstood?

Edit: I am prone to misunderstandings!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,236,793.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Thanks for your reply :)

So you're saying that I can enter a state of grace before I become Catholic?

That seems to go against my understanding of things. How does that work?

Or have I misunderstood?

Edit: I am prone to misunderstandings!
Grace works normally inside the Church, using the modes provided by the sacraments. The normal proper thing for you would be to become Catholic and go to confession. That is what you should do, then to go to confession again and again as needed.

But let's say you will be entering the Catholic Church at Easter and yet you have an appointment with a Mac truck this afternoon. A big dramatic appointment you didn't schedule but you can't avoid. What can you do to prepare your soul this morning? Nothing? Of course not.

If you were already baptized you have an indelible marking as someone adopted into the family of God. You have been given graces to be a friend of God. Those do act even before you become Catholic. Or let's say you have not yet been baptized. There is grace that even draws you before you consciously do anything.

As I mentioned, there is such a thing as 'perfect contrition' where one repents outside of confession and God does forgive. You repent out of love for Jesus, you intend not to sin again, you beg God for healing and forgiveness, and God hears you. That is a real Catholic thing. But as I stated, humans seldom do anything perfect.

When you do become Catholic you will have a chance for a long general confession with a priest where you unburden yourself of every sin you remember, and all the other ones too. You state your sorrow for these things, your intent to avoid these things, and until you blow it again in a serious way, you are in a state of grace again. This long general confession should be part of an even longer process of preparative introspection where you look at your whole life, and your sins. Even that process is grace filled. You will begin to grow in holiness and grace as soon as you start it.

Conversion, turning around, is all by grace, and that grace is working on you. It's the love of God calling you and you responding. God is not going to slam the door on you. You can take real steps to enter a state of grace this morning.

Upvote 0

nopq

May 21, 2019
England
✟34,246.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Grace works normally inside the Church, using the modes provided by the sacraments. The normal proper thing for you would be to become Catholic and go to confession. That is what you should do, then to go to confession again and again as needed.

But let's say you will be entering the Catholic Church at Easter and yet you have an appointment with a Mac truck this afternoon. A big dramatic appointment you didn't schedule but you can't avoid. What can you do to prepare your soul this morning? Nothing? Of course not.

If you were already baptized you have an indelible marking as someone adopted into the family of God. You have been given graces to be a friend of God. Those do act even before you become Catholic. Or let's say you have not yet been baptized. There is grace that even draws you before you consciously do anything.

As I mentioned, there is such a thing as 'perfect contrition' where one repents outside of confession and God does forgive. You repent out of love for Jesus, you intend not to sin again, you beg God for healing and forgiveness, and God hears you. That is a real Catholic thing. But as I stated, humans seldom do anything perfect.

When you do become Catholic you will have a chance for a long general confession with a priest where you unburden yourself of every sin you remember, and all the other ones too. You state your sorrow for these things, your intent to avoid these things, and until you blow it again in a serious way, you are in a state of grace again. This long general confession should be part of an even longer process of preparative introspection where you look at your whole life, and your sins. Even that process is grace filled. You will begin to grow in holiness and grace as soon as you start it.

Conversion, turning around, is all by grace, and that grace is working on you. It's the love of God calling you and you responding. God is not going to slam the door on you. You can take real steps to enter a state of grace this morning.
Thank you for your reply

I shall say a prayer of repentance

Hopefully God will accept it

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,236,793.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Thank you for your reply

I shall say a prayer of repentance

Hopefully God will accept it
Excellent. Keep moving forward on becoming Catholic. Keep preparing for that long general confession. What you are doing now is worthwhile and God loves you very much. Keep your heart open to God working in you today and all of your life.

• Optimistic
Reactions: nopq
Upvote 0