Questions for adherents of the Bible alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fidelibus

Jan 4, 2017
U.S.A.
✟66,007.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Back on the now locked thread, "Whose Sacred Traditions? (Fidelibus)" the OP made a couple of statements on page 4, post # 64:

Without the Bible the entire structure of Christianity would, indeed, fall apart.

And:

The only significant basis for Christian belief is found in the Bible.

So my questions are..... is this the General Consensus among adherents of the Bible alone? If so, could you give your reasons why? And if you disagree, could you also give your reasons why you disagree?

Thank you

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
Back on the now locked thread, "Whose Sacred Traditions? (Fidelibus)" the OP made a couple of statements on page 4, post # 64:

And:

So my questions are..... is this the General Consensus among adherents of the Bible alone? If so, could you give your reasons why? And if you disagree, could you also give your reasons why you disagree?

Thank you
More accurately - the Scriptures. That is , the Word of God. Reason: God's Word trumps man's opinion.

As to what constitutes God's Word - God spoke through the apostles and prophets, and Jesus Christ whom himself is the Word. Second to that is the historic content recorded by historians like Luke, which also contain accounts of the deeds of Jesus and his apostles.

Upvote 0

Call me Nic

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2017
✟481,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

And:

Thank you
The Bible is something we know we can 100% without a doubt trust as far as every word of that goes, because we read all scripture is inspired of God (2 Timothy 3:16).

However, no man can be fully trusted to tell the truth 100% of the time, therefore, to base any belief, tradition, or commandment off of the doctrines of men without any biblical basis, then there is always a margin of error. Yea, let God be true, but every man a liar.

Therefore, it is always safe to read the Bible and trust every word of it, whereas, its not always safe to listen to the doctrines of man.

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I believe that the Protestant Bible, as originally written down, is the Word that God wants me to have. However, Christianity does not depend on the Bible or any other writing; it depends on Jesus Christ. (I've never read the Apocrypha, since God is revealed with much redundancy in the Bible already.)

He is able to save anyone he wants to without the Bible. He can reveal himself to anyone he wants to, any way he wants to, without the Bible (and he has, to one person in a former church of mine, and to a person who the pastor of that church knew, plus plenty of other testimonies).

The reason I trust the Bible to be God's Word is because, after studying the Bible I believed humans across millennia could not have written it with such accuracy and depth. Also, for my first church, God told me to go to a certain one (that used that Bible). Another reason is because the Bible "works"—that is, I have experienced many of the "impossible" promises of God by obeying him as described in Scripture.

Millions of Christians all over the world know this verse is true:

Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him.” (John 14:21, 1984 NIV)

...Because Jesus has actually revealed himself to them. (Most are not in industrialized countries.) But this is not evidence that can be shown to others who are looking for answers in the short-term.

It helps that the Bible meets every secular archeological test for reliability (except people don't want to believe the content). Most ancient documents have much less evidence of their accuracy than the Bible. And there are plenty of tools, if I desire, for me to go down to the root of the faith and read the ancient manuscripts themselves that were pieced together to form our version of the Bible (and I have, but not much).

There are many parts of the Bible that testify to another part of the Bible as being true—so many in fact, that if you believe 1/10th the Bible is true, then you believe most of the rest is true as well, whether you have figured it out or not (or don't actually believe your 1/10th is true).

Lastly, I believe in God from just looking around at the world and making the only logical conclusion possible. Every other viewpoint is just peoples' theories, but I have the world and scientific thinking to back up my observations (but obviously not everyone sees as I do). An example is Hugh Ross' calculation of the probability of our coming to exist by random chance. It is significantly less likely than almost every potential for which we use the word "impossible." (Not considering propositions that can be proved impossible such as in mathematics.)

I am regularly experiencing this verse:

“He said to him, ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.’ ” (Luke 16:31, 1984 NIV)

It really is true that people believe what they want to believe. The idea that more evidence is needed, in general, is a fantasy. There is already overwhelming evidence, but people would prefer to have the comfort that comes from affirming one's own beliefs than go hunt down that evidence, which when found, would require a change to their lifestyle into one in which they will not be in control.

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

And:

Thank you

Hebrews 1:1-2...……….
"God, who at various times and in various ways spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets, has in these last days spoken to us by His Son, whom He has appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the worlds".

The Scriptures are God's written Word to all men.

The fact that God must make himself known in order for us to know him is necessary since we are finite and he is infinite, and we are sinful and he is holy.

Now we all should understand that my friend here, "Fidelibus" is a devout RCC member and his question here is to set up another question a little later on.

Now, that is fine with me as I do not care, I just thought everyone should know what is coming next.

The real question then I think that must be considered is, WHAT IS TRUTH".
Now if you are a Bible believer ie. "Sola Scriptura", then you already know that Jesus has told us in John 17:17 that ..……..
"Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth."

Psalm 33:4...…….
"For the word of the Lord is right; and all his works are done in truth."

The focus then of this thread and the question asked by my friend will be that As opposed to this, the Roman Catholic church claims that besides Scripture, her oral tradition also has the same authority as the Scriptures.

“As a result the Church, to whom the transmission and interpretation of Revelation is entrusted, ‘does not derive her certainty about all revealed truths from the holy Scriptures alone. Both Scripture and Tradition must be accepted and honored with equal sentiments of devotion and reverence.’”
Catechism of the Catholic Church, Para. 82 cited on http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p1s1c2a2.htm accessed on April 11, 2018.

This is a bold claim that many of the Roman Catholic church’s teachings, such as Mary’s eternal virginity, the papacy, and the doctrine of Purgatory, are defended by her oral tradition. Without tradition, these teachings of the Roman Catholic church would have no support whatsoever.

Now WHY is the written Scriptures the acceptable truth of God?

Because, if we break the principle of Sola Scriptura by elevating men’s traditions to the level of the Scriptures, in effect we are introducing all sorts of teachings which God never commanded us to do. Thus, we can rightly claim that Rome transgresses the commandments of God by their traditions (Mt. 15:3). Roman Catholic tradition is an invention of men which gradually crept into the church and led men astray from the truth.

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I believe that the Protestant Bible, as originally written down, is the Word that God wants me to have. However, Christianity does not depend on the Bible or any other writing; it depends on Jesus Christ. (I've never read the Apocrypha, since God is revealed with much redundancy in the Bible already.)

He is able to save anyone he wants to without the Bible. He can reveal himself to anyone he wants to, any way he wants to, without the Bible (and he has, to one person in a former church of mine, and to a person who the pastor of that church knew, plus plenty of other testimonies).

The reason I trust the Bible to be God's Word is because, after studying the Bible I believed humans across millennia could not have written it with such accuracy and depth. Also, for my first church, God told me to go to a certain one (that used that Bible). Another reason is because the Bible "works"—that is, I have experienced many of the "impossible" promises of God by obeying him as described in Scripture.

Millions of Christians all over the world know this verse is true:

Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him.” (John 14:21, 1984 NIV)

...Because Jesus has actually revealed himself to them. (Most are not in industrialized countries.) But this is not evidence that can be shown to others who are looking for answers in the short-term.

It helps that the Bible meets every secular archeological test for reliability (except people don't want to believe the content). Most ancient documents have much less evidence of their accuracy than the Bible. And there are plenty of tools, if I desire, for me to go down to the root of the faith and read the ancient manuscripts themselves that were pieced together to form our version of the Bible (and I have, but not much).

There are many parts of the Bible that testify to another part of the Bible as being true—so many in fact, that if you believe 1/10th the Bible is true, then you believe most of the rest is true as well, whether you have figured it out or not (or don't actually believe your 1/10th is true).

Lastly, I believe in God from just looking around at the world and making the only logical conclusion possible. Every other viewpoint is just peoples' theories, but I have the world and scientific thinking to back up my observations (but obviously not everyone sees as I do). An example is Hugh Ross' calculation of the probability of our coming to exist by random chance. It is significantly less likely than almost every potential for which we use the word "impossible." (Not considering propositions that can be proved impossible such as in mathematics.)

I am regularly experiencing this verse:

“He said to him, ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.’ ” (Luke 16:31, 1984 NIV)

It really is true that people believe what they want to believe. The idea that more evidence is needed, in general, is a fantasy. There is already overwhelming evidence, but people would prefer to have the comfort that comes from affirming one's own beliefs than go hunt down that evidence, which when found, would require a change to their lifestyle into one in which they will not be in control.

You said...……..
"It really is true that people believe what they want to believe. The idea that more evidence is needed, in general, is a fantasy. There is already overwhelming evidence, but people would prefer to have the comfort that comes from affirming one's own beliefs than go hunt down that evidence, which when found, would require a change to their lifestyle into one in which they will not be in control".

That is absolutely, completely correct my brother!!!!!

People gravitate to what they like and what they want to hear and the TRUTH has nothing to do with it. Most of us were taught when we were children and we learned it and we like what we know and we do not want to learn anything else whether what we know is proven to be wrong or not.

Romans 1:20...………..
"For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse."

The Bible teaches that God’s power and His nature can be understood from the world around us. Nevertheless, many people deny spiritual truth, which is easy because doing things the wrong way spiritually usually has very delayed consequences.

If we put water in our gas tanks, right away the car does not start. If a person denies Jesus Christ and tries to save himself by his own works, it will not be until the Day of Judgment that he will learn that Scripture was correct when it said, “For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord” (Rom. 6:23). At the resurrection and Day of Judgment the things of God will be clearly seen by everyone, but then it will be too late for the people who reject the truth now.
https://bereanbeacon.org/is-catholic-oral-tradition-valid-revelation/

• Winner
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟688,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I believe in the Bible... Sola Scriptura (? First time I've ever written that!) Anyway, I believe the Protestant Bible is the Word of God. God Breathed.

An Angel of God told me so... and I believed Him. So I trust the written Word.

It's probably a poor reason for believing such a thing, I mean I have nothing concrete to say to a non believer or anything, but it's true. And I believe.

What I was never told was all this other stuff was God's Word... He never spoke to me about traditions or anything and while those things might be nice, I believe anything anyone does or says, at any stage of history, MUST be compared against that Word, what is compiled as the Protestant Bible, and only followed if it agrees to that Word.

So... people can follow as they prefer I guess, but there is a reason men a long time ago said these books are from God and those books are not.

I'm going with it, proof or no because there was no "and" spoken.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Fidelibus

Jan 4, 2017
U.S.A.
✟66,007.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Now we all should understand that my friend here, "Fidelibus" is a devout RCC member

And you all should understand the need for me to correct my friend Major1. Yes, I am a devout member of the Church started by Jesus Christ,, The Holy Catholic Church! Not just a member of one of the many Rites within the Catholic Church (Eastern and Western) such as Ukrainian, Maronite, Romanian, Melkite, Chaldean, Ruthenian, Coptic, Armenian, Latin, ect. And if my friend Major1, (who has claimed on numerous occasions being very knowledgeable of the Catholic Church and her teachings) were to go to his Catechism of the Catholic Church, (if he owns one) he would learn that the CCC explains that there is one universal Church, the "unique Catholic Church," and many particular churches, each a community of Catholics who are joined by faith and the sacraments and their bishop (CCC 833).

And being as knowledgeable of the Catholic faith as he claims to be, he should also know that the Second Vatican Council teaches from these individual churches comes the fullness of the one and only Catholic Church! (Lumen Gentium 23).

And something else I should correct my friend Major1 on (something I'm surprised he dosen't know)
is that the term "Roman Catholic Church" was originally started by the Anglicans........ not Catholics because in English-speaking countries it is commonly used to denote the entire Catholic Church—which ignores all the other particular churches that have their own rites and traditions.

And to finish his (Maj1) sentence:

and his question here is to set up another question a little later on.

So? FYI, It's called having a discussion. Please tell me Major1 you are not against having a friendly debate? If you are..... your participation in this discussion is not required for this thread to continue, but is strongly encouraged and welcomed.

Now, that is fine with me as I do not care, I just thought everyone should know what is coming next.

That is very kind of you. (even though you don't care.) :)

The real question then I think that must be considered is, WHAT IS TRUTH".
Now if you are a Bible believer ie. "Sola Scriptura", then you already know that Jesus has told us in John 17:17 that ..……..
"Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth."

And where in Scripture does it tell us to find this truth? (hint: St. Paul tells us where to find this truth)

But wait....... before you answer this, how about you answering my original two questions:

1. Is it your belief that without the Bible the entire structure of Christianity would, indeed, fall apart?

2. And is it also your belief that the only significant basis for Christian belief is found in the Bible?

Upvote 0

Fidelibus

Jan 4, 2017
U.S.A.
✟66,007.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
The Bible is something we know we can 100% without a doubt trust as far as every word of that goes, because we read all scripture is inspired of God (2 Timothy 3:16.

Thank you for your response Nicolaus M.

Yes, I am familiar with this passage among sola scripturists. However, as a Catholic I fail to see where it is conclusive proof for Sola Scriptura (Bible alone) theology. Now as a Catholic I would agree that one.... all Scripture is inspired. And two.... all Scripture is profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness. And third.... all Scripture is profitable in making the man of God complete, equipped for every good work. But I also must admit that this passage says nothing about only Scripture being infallible. Neither does it say anything about Scripture being complete, fully equipped, and sufficient as a sole rule of faith.

However, no man can be fully trusted to tell the truth 100% of the time, therefore, to base any belief, tradition, or commandment off of the doctrines of men without any biblical basis, then there is always a margin of error. Yea, let God be true, but every man a liar.

Do you believe that everything the Bible tells us is clear?

Therefore, it is always safe to read the Bible and trust every word of it, whereas, its not always safe to listen to the doctrines of man.

Would you agree though that the closer a testimony is to the original source, the more reliable it tends to be?

Again, thanks for responding. :)

Upvote 0

Call me Nic

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2017
✟481,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thank you for your response Nicolaus M.

Yes, I am familiar with this passage among sola scripturists. However, as a Catholic I fail to see where it is conclusive proof for Sola Scriptura (Bible alone) theology. Now as a Catholic I would agree that one.... all Scripture is inspired. And two.... all Scripture is profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness. And third.... all Scripture is profitable in making the man of God complete, equipped for every good work. But I also must admit that this passage says nothing about only Scripture being infallible. Neither does it say anything about Scripture being complete, fully equipped, and sufficient as a sole rule of faith.
You agree that all scripture is inspired of God, and that's good. God's ways are perfect (Psalms 18:30), so scripture must therefore be perfect if indeed inspired by God; I trust God completely, and therefore must trust his words completely. If God is perfect (which I hope you would agree), then words inspired of him are perfect: God cannot act outside of his perfect nature, so it is impossible to conclude that God would inspire words that were anything less than infallible.

Do you believe that everything the Bible tells us is clear?
Not everything in the Bible is easy to understand, if that is what you mean. However, we are supposed to compare spiritual things with spiritual for the teaching of the Holy Ghost inside of every believer (1 Corinthians 2:13), and since the words of God are spirit (John 6:63), we must compare scripture with scripture that we may discern the unobvious scriptures with the obvious scriptures.

God is perfect, making his word perfect; so, using this as my rule of thumb, I can know two things: 1). Everything in the Bible is perfectly accurate and true, and 2). The Bible will never contradict itself.

Therefore, if there appears an apparent contradiction in the Bible, I trust that it isn't truly a contradiction, but that it must rather be due to my lack of understanding; as it is written, all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God (Romans 3:23), and no man knows all things, but God does.

Would you agree though that the closer a testimony is to the original source, the more reliable it tends to be?
I agree, but I do not think this is a good argument for believing the doctrines of man outside of the Bible; men live and die, and men have a sin nature. Men lie, and are corruptible, and have wickedness naturally set in their heart, but God does not. God is life, and will never die, neither can God lie or be corrupted, tempted, or have any darkness whatsoever. Therefore, if God's words are perfect and passed down (which they are through the Textus Receptus and thousands of manuscripts), then those are closer to the original source of testimony than the teachings of men that are passed down extra-biblically. The extra-biblical teachings of the Catholic church are no better than the oral teachings of the Talmud; the Talmud proves how far Judaism has fallen from its original belief, (being the law and prophets), and has rather become a rather wicked religion and far from the statutes of God; and this is because men are corruptible and naturally evil. For this reason, I trust completely the Bible and no man's vain tradition.

Again, thanks for responding. :)
Thank you for responding, friend.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
And you all should understand the need for me to correct my friend Major1. Yes, I am a devout member of the Church started by Jesus Christ,, The Holy Catholic Church! Not just a member of one of the many Rites within the Catholic Church (Eastern and Western) such as Ukrainian, Maronite, Romanian, Melkite, Chaldean, Ruthenian, Coptic, Armenian, Latin, ect. And if my friend Major1, (who has claimed on numerous occasions being very knowledgeable of the Catholic Church and her teachings) were to go to his Catechism of the Catholic Church, (if he owns one) he would learn that the CCC explains that there is one universal Church, the "unique Catholic Church," and many particular churches, each a community of Catholics who are joined by faith and the sacraments and their bishop (CCC 833).

And being as knowledgeable of the Catholic faith as he claims to be, he should also know that the Second Vatican Council teaches from these individual churches comes the fullness of the one and only Catholic Church! (Lumen Gentium 23).

And something else I should correct my friend Major1 on (something I'm surprised he dosen't know)
is that the term "Roman Catholic Church" was originally started by the Anglicans........ not Catholics because in English-speaking countries it is commonly used to denote the entire Catholic Church—which ignores all the other particular churches that have their own rites and traditions.

We all know that. It has been mentioned dozens of times.

Imagine how wordy each post would become if every time a denomination--yours or some other--were mentioned, it was necessary to restate all the specifics of its organization. In order to be absolutely fair, that is. :rolleyes:

• Agree
Reactions: Major1
Upvote 0

Rawtheran

Lightmaker For Christ
Jan 3, 2014
Ohio
✟46,459.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

And:

Thank you

I tend to have a more modified position when it comes to the belief in the Bible alone. First I would like to state that the Bible is and always will be the infallible and divinely inspired word of God. This is a collection of history, wisdom, poetry, knowledge, and experience that has been handed down for almost 3,000 years. While the creeds, prophetic words, tounges, tradition, etc. are definitely important to the church they are not a substitute for the Bible upon which everything we confess and believe should be based on.

Upvote 0

Fidelibus

Jan 4, 2017
U.S.A.
✟66,007.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
You agree that all scripture is inspired of God, and that's good. God's ways are perfect (Psalms 18:30), so scripture must therefore be perfect if indeed inspired by God; I trust God completely, and therefore must trust his words completely. If God is perfect (which I hope you would agree), then words inspired of him are perfect: God cannot act outside of his perfect nature, so it is impossible to conclude that God would inspire words that were anything less than infallible.

But yet my friend, nowhere in the Bible does it say anything about Scripture being complete, fully equipped, and sufficient as a sole rule of faith, including the passage you posted (2 Tim. 3:16).

What I always find interesting when adherents of sola scriptura quote this passage, is they always leave the previous two verses out.

“14 But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it
15 and how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings which are able to instruct you for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus.
16 Every scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,
17 that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.”

As one can see, St.Paul is telling Timothy to remain in what he has firmly believed and then cites two bases for that belief:

1.He knows from whom he has learned it.

2.This was the oral teachings of the apostle Paul himself, so right here we have Timothy’s beliefs being based on apostolic Tradition.

And

3.From childhood Timothy has been acquainted with the holy Scriptures. So this is the second basis for Timothy’s beliefs.

So Nicolous M, and with all due respect, when adherents of the Bible Alone (I used to be one by the way) quote verses 16 and 17, they are only quoting the back half of a double appeal to Tradition and Scripture, clearly something that does not prove sola scriptura. (The Bible Alone)

Not everything in the Bible is easy to understand, if that is what you mean.

Yes

However, we are supposed to compare spiritual things with spiritual for the teaching of the Holy Ghost inside of every believer (1 Corinthians 2:13), and since the words of God are spirit (John 6:63), we must compare scripture with scripture that we may discern the unobvious scriptures with the obvious scriptures.

Okay, but would you also agree that this does not change the fact that the Scriptures are not always simple to interpret. For example, what would be your view on St. Paul’s letter to the Colossians 1:24 in which he writes:

“Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I complete what is lacking in Christ’s afflictions…”

What do you make of this? Are we to believe St.Paul is telling us something is lacking in Christ’s suffering? By reading this, St.Paul seems to be saying that Christ's death on the cross was not enough. Right? However, elsewhere throughout Scripture we are told with full assurance that we have been saved once and for all through Christ (Heb. 7:27). Either the Bible is contradicting itself or a very subtle interpretation must be applied to the given text in order to square it with the rest. I obviously opt for the second option.

We should also remember what St. Peter warns us in 2 Pet.3:16 that there are things in the Sciptures that are hard to understand “which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction”. And where he also warns us in 2 Pet.1:19 that “no prophecy of scripture is a matter of one’s own interpretation”. I would hope we could both agre that the bottom line is that interpretation of the Bible is serious business. Correct?

I agree, but I do not think this is a good argument for believing the doctrines of man outside of the Bible; men live and die, and men have a sin nature. Men lie, and are corruptible, and have wickedness naturally set in their heart, but God does not.

Are you then saying that Early Church writings are not useful and should be disreguarded?

The extra-biblical teachings of the Catholic church are no better than the oral teachings of the Talmud.

Could you give a couple examples of these extra-biblical teachings of the Catholic Church?

Have a Blessed Day

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
But yet my friend, nowhere in the Bible does it say anything about Scripture being complete, fully equipped, and sufficient as a sole rule of faith, including the passage you posted (2 Tim. 3:16).
It does, however, say many times that Scripture is of highest reliability, good as gold, etc. I found 19 such verses in response to someone else who raised this issue a while back.

Meanwhile, what your church puts in its place--Holy Tradition, so called--is not mentioned at all.

• Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Fidelibus

Jan 4, 2017
U.S.A.
✟66,007.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I tend to have a more modified position when it comes to the belief in the Bible alone. First I would like to state that the Bible is and always will be the infallible and divinely inspired word of God. This is a collection of history, wisdom, poetry, knowledge, and experience that has been handed down for almost 3,000 years. While the creeds, prophetic words, tounges, tradition, etc. are definitely important to the church they are not a substitute for the Bible upon which everything we confess and believe should be based on.

Thanks for your response Rawtheran.

As a Catholic, my belief is that the true "rule of faith"—as expressed in the Bible itself—is Scripture plus apostolic tradition, as manifested in the living teaching authority of the Catholic Church, to which were entrusted the oral teachings of Jesus and the apostles, along with the authority to interpret Scripture correctly.

Again, Thanks and have a Blessed Day

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
All I can say then is that obviously Major1 didn't get the memo. :)
I don't want to argue too much over this, but I think you are simply meaning that for anyone to take exception to what someone else has written about a Catholic belief or policy, etc. he must reiterate and/or agree to all the points you made there, even when they are not particularly relevant.

I don't think that is a reasonable request, and I notice that when Catholics speak of Protestantism or the Reformation, there isn't any mention from them of the names of the various churches, the Book of Concord, Apostolic Succession in the Evangelical Lutheran churches, the origin of the term Lutheran, or anything of that sort. ;)

• Agree
Upvote 0

Fidelibus

Jan 4, 2017
U.S.A.
✟66,007.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
It does, however, say many times that Scripture is of highest reliability, good as gold, etc. I found 19 such verses in response to someone else who raised this issue a while back.

Meanwhile, what your church puts in its place--Holy Tradition, so called--is not mentioned at all.[/QUOTE}

Could you then please show the passage from the Bible that say's the "Bible Alone" has infallible authority?

Upvote 0

Call me Nic

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2017
✟481,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

What I always find interesting when adherents of sola scriptura quote this passage, is they always leave the previous two verses out.

“14 But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it
15 and how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings which are able to instruct you for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus.
16 Every scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,
17 that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.”

As one can see, St.Paul is telling Timothy to remain in what he has firmly believed and then cites two bases for that belief:

1.He knows from whom he has learned it.

2.This was the oral teachings of the apostle Paul himself, so right here we have Timothy’s beliefs being based on apostolic Tradition.

And

3.From childhood Timothy has been acquainted with the holy Scriptures. So this is the second basis for Timothy’s beliefs.

So Nicolous M, and with all due respect, when adherents of the Bible Alone (I used to be one by the way) quote verses 16 and 17, they are only quoting the back half of a double appeal to Tradition and Scripture, clearly something that does not prove sola scriptura. (The Bible Alone)
Your point is moot because Paul calls himself a preacher and apostle, and a teacher to the Gentiles (2 Timothy 1:10); Paul obviously taught Timothy (2 Timothy 1:13), but that relationship is no different than a preacher teaching his congregation. I and my friend sit down quite often and edify one another according to the scriptures, teaching and admonishing one another in God's word. That's been done since Christ himself walked the earth, and is completely taught and shown forth in scripture.

Now, in regards to the idea of tradition: the Bible makes a distinction regarding it. There is biblical tradition after Christ and the apostles following him, and there is tradition after men which can and will transgress the commands of God (Colossians 2:8, Matthew 15:3-6), because indeed, Paul exhorts us to follow after the tradition set forth for us by Christ (Ephesians 2:20, 2 Thessalonians 2:15, 2 Thessalonians 3:6).

2 Thessalonians 2:15 says "Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle." The apostles aren't alive anymore, and since we cannot physically hear them for ourselves, we have nothing to go on but their epistles. Now, they wouldn't say anything by word that they had not taught in their epistles, I wouldn't think, would they?

What it comes down to is this: you have to prove from the Bible that apostolic succession is viable, that Jesus Christ himself personally and visibly chose each successor throughout the millennia since the church was established to be an authority here on earth while he was gone. But how can you, except you claim tradition? Because you cannot prove apostolic succession from the Bible. The Bible says to follow tradition, but the tradition which was delivered us by the apostles (2 Thessalonians 3:6), either through word (which can happen no longer) or by epistle (which is with us to this day). So, would I trust the authority of men's traditions which have changed much over 2,000 years? Or trust the scripture and it's traditions that has never changed and remained constant forever? I'll take the latter, thank you.

Okay, but would you also agree that this does not change the fact that the Scriptures are not always simple to interpret. For example, what would be your view on St. Paul’s letter to the Colossians 1:24 in which he writes:

What do you make of this? Are we to believe St.Paul is telling us something is lacking in Christ’s suffering? By reading this, St.Paul seems to be saying that Christ's death on the cross was not enough. Right? However, elsewhere throughout Scripture we are told with full assurance that we have been saved once and for all through Christ (Heb. 7:27). Either the Bible is contradicting itself or a very subtle interpretation must be applied to the given text in order to square it with the rest. I obviously opt for the second option.
Obviously the Bible isn't contradicting itself here, and it cannot even be close to saying Christ's suffering was insufficient. Look at the next verse, sir. Colossians 1:25 "Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfill the word of God;" Paul is not saying that the affliction of Christ was insufficient or lacking (as your translation ineptly puts it), but rather that suffering for Christ's sake and also the church's sake is his reason for rejoicing, because God gave him purpose to fulfill the word of God (by preaching the gospel to the gentiles), and as a result of fulfilling the word of God, he is suffering for it. He is merely making the point that his ministry is bearing fruit, but because of it he is experiencing tribulation on the behalf of the church and the Lord, that by suffering, he's saying he is to "fill up that which is behind of the afflictions of Christ in my flesh for his body's sake, which is the church:" or in other words, to preach the word of God and suffer for it, as was prophesied in Matthew 10:16-28 and elsewhere in the Bible. When considering the context, it makes perfect sense.

We should also remember what St. Peter warns us in 2 Pet.3:16 that there are things in the Sciptures that are hard to understand “which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction”. And where he also warns us in 2 Pet.1:19 that “no prophecy of scripture is a matter of one’s own interpretation”. I would hope we could both agre that the bottom line is that interpretation of the Bible is serious business. Correct?

Are you then saying that Early Church writings are not useful and should be disreguarded?

Could you give a couple examples of these extra-biblical teachings of the Catholic Church?

Have a Blessed Day
2 Peter 1:20-21 "Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost." In context, this is actually saying that prophecy did not come of their own interpretation in terms of the fact that they did not prophecy according to their understanding, but men in times past prophesied according to the inspiration of the holy Ghost, merely reinforcing the fact that scripture and prophecy in scripture is inspired of God like in 2 Timothy 3:16.

Otherwise, if we had to have men to help us understand or "interpret" scripture, that would contradict this passage: 1 John 2:26-27 "These things have I written unto you concerning them that seduce you. But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide him."

After all, it is the Spirit of God that teaches and guides into all truth (John 16:13), not man. And while one could argue that the Spirit of God is in every believer according to Ephesians 1:13, not every believer walks in the spirit according to Romans 8:1. If one were to argue the apostles were the only men to which John 16:13 applied, then that's fair, because Jesus spoke directly to them in that passage, but that still does not support your position in the least.

Here's a list of extra-biblical catholic teachings:
1. Merited Grace
2. Penance for salvation
3. Purgatory
4. Indulgences
5. Intercession of Mary
6. Prayer to the saints.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I believe in the Bible... Sola Scriptura (? First time I've ever written that!) Anyway, I believe the Protestant Bible is the Word of God. God Breathed.

An Angel of God told me so... and I believed Him. So I trust the written Word.

It's probably a poor reason for believing such a thing, I mean I have nothing concrete to say to a non believer or anything, but it's true. And I believe.

What I was never told was all this other stuff was God's Word... He never spoke to me about traditions or anything and while those things might be nice, I believe anything anyone does or says, at any stage of history, MUST be compared against that Word, what is compiled as the Protestant Bible, and only followed if it agrees to that Word.

So... people can follow as they prefer I guess, but there is a reason men a long time ago said these books are from God and those books are not.

I'm going with it, proof or no because there was no "and" spoken.

Agreed. I would only say that I wish you hand understood what you said from reading the Word of God instead of from an angel.

• Agree
Reactions: Call me Nic
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.