Questions - Can U identify these gentlemen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rechtgläubig

der Anti-Schwärmer
Oct 3, 2003
TX
Visit site
✟17,092.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Howdy TAW. :wave:

Can anyone give me information on the below individuals?

St. Mark the Evgenikos
St. Nektarios of Aegina
Patriarch Anthimos
Fr Justin Popovich of Serbia

I am mostly interested in dates that they lived, but any bio web pages or any other information you can offer would be awesome!

Thank you! :D

Oct 18, 2004
Elsewhere
✟10,038.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Reactions: Rechtgläubig
Upvote 0
R

Rilian

I gotta run to get ready for matins, or I would add more. Here's some quick info though.

St. Nektarios to me is one of the greatest of modern Orthodox saints. His life from start to finish was filled with incredible adversity, yet he met all his trials with patience and steadfast holiness. He is considered a wonderworker and healer, especially for cancer. There's a link here with some photos and more information about him. He is our family slava.

The link given on St. Mark Eugenikos is a good one. He is considered one of the three latter day pillars of Orthodoxy along with St. Photios the Great and St. Gregory Palamas.

Upvote 0

Maximus

Orthodox Christian
Jun 24, 2003
✟7,903.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Rechtgläubig -

I couldn't help noticing the following in your signature:

"The imputation of guilt did not require that the individual sin nor that he believe himself a sinner: likewise the imputation of Christ's obedience needs no work or belief of man to effect or complete it. In sum, the sin of the whole world has been forgiven."
(Prof. Deutschlander at the Chicago Pastoral Conference 1977)

You don't really believe that, do you, that guilt can be imputed to an individual who has not sinned?

If you are interested in the Orthodox perspective on such things, you might want to check out Clark Carlton's book, The Life: The Orthodox Doctrine of Salvation (Regina Orthodox Press, 2000).

Upvote 0

Rechtgläubig

der Anti-Schwärmer
Oct 3, 2003
TX
Visit site
✟17,092.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Maximus said:
Rechtgläubig -

I couldn't help noticing the following in your signature:

You don't really believe that, do you, that guilt can be imputed to an individual who has not sinned?
I know I can't debate here and I will not return to argue :sorry: , I only wanted to reply to your question. Yes sir, I do based what Paul wrote in Romans 5.

If you are interested in the Orthodox perspective on such things, you might want to check out Clark Carlton's book, The Life: The Orthodox Doctrine of Salvation (Regina Orthodox Press, 2000).
Hey, thanks, I will look for it!

:D

Upvote 0

Maximus

Orthodox Christian
Jun 24, 2003
✟7,903.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Rechtgläubig said:
I know I can't debate here and I will not return to argue :sorry: , I only wanted to reply to your question. Yes sir, I do based what Paul wrote in Romans 5.

Hey, thanks, I will look for it!

:D

You can find it here.

I've read Romans 5 (many times), and I don't see any indication that God imputes guilt to those who have not yet sinned.

Look at it this way.

You are home watching television, eating pizza, and relaxing. Suddenly, your front door flies off its hinges. Ten large men, some in dark suits, some in uniforms, burst into what was the tranquility of your home. They throw you to the ground and handcuff you.

The apparent leader, a man in a navy blue windbreaker jacket with the letters "FBI" on the back, announces, above the sound of your familiy weeping, "You're under arrest!"

"For what crime?" you ask.

"Your grandfather robbed a bank back in 1939!" the agent answers, smiling at you maliciously from beneath his mirrored sunglasses.

Sound fair?

Upvote 0

Marjorie

Senior Veteran
Sep 5, 2004
✟11,440.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
But that's only if we think of guilt as police bursting through our door. What if, instead, it is like a sickness? Maybe by 'guilt,' what he really means is not legal fault but something akin to what we view the condition of the Theotokos-- fallen humanity, in need of a Savior, but not personally sinful.

In IC XC,
Marjorie

Upvote 0

Maximus

Orthodox Christian
Jun 24, 2003
✟7,903.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Marjorie said:
But that's only if we think of guilt as police bursting through our door. What if, instead, it is like a sickness? Maybe by 'guilt,' what he really means is not legal fault but something akin to what we view the condition of the Theotokos-- fallen humanity, in need of a Savior, but not personally sinful.

In IC XC,
Marjorie

Marjorie -

Read the quote from Prof. Deutschlander in his signature.

Then read the post where I asked him if God imputes guilt to one who has not yet sinned.

Then read his answer.

The reason I brought up the quote and questioned Rechtglaeubig about it was to point out its typical Western error regarding Original Sin.

That is also why I recommended Carlton's excellent book on the subject.

My point in the police raid story was that it is fundamentally unjust to impute guilt - even ancestral guilt - to a person who has done nothing wrong.

If it is unfair to arrest a man for a crime committed by his grandfather, then it is most certainly unfair to blame him for the sin of Adam and Eve.

If what Rechtglaeubig (which is German for "orthodox," BTW) meant was the Orthodox understanding of original sin and its consequences, he certainly had the chance to explain that when I asked him about imputed guilt.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Suzannah

A sinner
Nov 17, 2003
✟15,824.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Maximus said:
Marjorie -

Read the quote from Prof. Deutschlander in his signature.

Then read the post where I asked him if God imputes guilt to one who has not yet sinned.

Then read his answer.

The reason I brought up the quote and questioned Rechtglaeubig about it was to point out its typical Western error regarding Original Sin.

That is also why I recommended Carlton's excellent book on the subject.

My point in the police raid story was that it is fundamentally unjust to impute guilt - even ancestral guilt - to a person who has done nothing wrong.

If it is unfair to arrest a man for a crime committed by his grandfather, then it is most certainly unfair to blame him for the sin of Adam and Eve.

If what Rechtglaeubig (which is German for "orthodox," BTW) meant was the Orthodox understanding of original sin and its consequences, he certainly had the chance to explain that when I asked him about imputed guilt.

Well, actually it literally means:
Right belief.

Recht =right
glaeubig=belief

But who's nitpicking??? :wave:

In any case, Rechtglaeubig is too polite to debate you in TAW. I happen to know this. And I respect him for it. ;)

Upvote 0

xenia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2004
Ultimate West
✟26,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

And it is unfair to argue with a guest in TAW who cannot defend himself. It's a worthy topic for discussion; why don't you take it to General Theology or PM?

Reactions: Suzannah
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.