Questions about Understanding the Baptist and Catholic faith?

Dylan Akers

May 22, 2015
✟8,727.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone,

Since I became a practicing Christian five years ago, I have been a member of a Baptist church. However, as I've read Scripture, prayed, listened to prominent pastors, and discussed with Christian friends, I've found more compelling evidence, conviction, alignment with my beliefs, and peace of conscience for Catholicism than the Baptist faith, or at least, Calvinistic Baptist faith. This to say, my questions are:

1. Has anyone experienced this?
2. Why are you Catholic? And how well do you understand and have read what the Catholic Church means by its doctrines?
3. Why do you reject Baptists, or more broadly Protestantism? And how well do you understand and have read what Baptists mean by their doctrines?
4. Why do you think Christians leave the Catholic faith and become Protestants?
5. What are the strengths and weaknesses of practice within the Catholic Church?
6. What do you believe are the strengths and weaknesses of practice within the Baptist church?

Thank you!

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone,

Since I became a practicing Christian five years ago, I have been a member of a Baptist church. However, as I've read Scripture, prayed, listened to prominent pastors, and discussed with Christian friends, I've found more compelling evidence, conviction, alignment with my beliefs, and peace of conscience for Catholicism than the Baptist faith, or at least, Calvinistic Baptist faith. This to say, my questions are:

2. Why are you Catholic? And how well do you understand and have read what the Catholic Church means by its doctrines?
3. Why do you reject Baptists, or more broadly Protestantism? And how well do you understand and have read what Baptists mean by their doctrines?
5. What are the strengths and weaknesses of practice within the Catholic Church?
6. What do you believe are the strengths and weaknesses of practice within the Baptist church?

Thank you!
Yes!!!!!!

I came to Christ through the witnessing of Baptist friends, attended conservative Baptist churches for years, and am now moving towards Rome.

So.... I appreciate the Scriptural and theological conservatism among Baptists, and the close knit community. But slowly, I began to doubt the once saved always saved theology, and the "trail of blood" view of Christian history.

It's been a journey. The Catholic Church is suffering under what I would venture to call a very theologically confusing Pope right now. And a crisis of sexual abuse, homosexual promiscuity, heresy, and lying in the higher and lower ranks of the Church. That is very bad. But, She is still the Church, and we can still love and follow Christ through her, even as we pray for our confused and confusing leaders.

Feel free to ask us more things. God bless you, friend!

Upvote 0

StevenMerten

I Love You, God!
Dec 27, 2005
Lynnwood, WA
Visit site
✟69,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sin Boldly
by Martin Luther​

“If you are a preacher of grace, then preach a true and not a fictitious grace; if grace is true, you must bear a true and not a fictitious sin. God does not save people who are only fictitious sinners. Be a sinner and sin boldly, but believe and rejoice in Christ even more boldly . . . as long as we are here [in this world] we have to sin. . . . No sin will separate us from the Lamb, even though we commit fornication and murder a thousand times a day
Blasphemous quotes from Martin Luther
All Protestant denominations are grown from the same Martin Luther 'Sin Boldly' seed. Martin Luther's 'Sin Boldly' concept is in direct opposition to Jesus' many teachings on what to do to go to heaven.

Jesus says,

Matthew 19:16
"Teacher, what good must I do to possess everlasting life?" He answered, "Why do you question me about what is good? There is One who is good. If you wish to enter into life, keep the commandments." "Which ones?" he asked. Jesus replied "You shall not kill"; 'You shall not commit adultery'; 'You shall not steal'; 'You shall not bear false witness'; 'Honor your father and mother'; and 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

Matthew 7:21
"None of those who cry out, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of God but only the one who does the will of my Father in heaven. When that day comes, many will plead with me, 'Lord, Lord,' have we not prophesied in your name? have we not exorcized demons by its power? Did we not do many miracles in your nameas well? Then I will declare to them solemnly, I never knew you. Out of my sight, you evildoers!"

Everyone who listens to these words of mine and acts on them will be like a wise man who built his house on rock. But it did not collapse; it had been set solidly on rock. And everyone who listens to these words of mine but does not act on them will be like a fool who built his house on sand. The rain fell, the floods came, and the winds blew and buffeted the house. And it collapsed and was completely ruined.”

John 5:27
"The Father has given over to him power to pass judgment because he is Son of Man; no need for you to be surprised at this, for an hour is coming in which all those in their tombs shall hear his voice and come forth. Those who have done right shall rise to live; the evildoers shall rise to be damned."

Matthew 16:27
The Son of Man will come with his angels. When He does, he will repay each man according to his conduct.

John 15:10
"You will live in my love if you keep my commandments, even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and live in his love."

Matthew 25:31
"And he will separate them one from another, as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. He will place the sheep on his right and the goats on his left. Then the king will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father. Inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me, naked and you clothed me, ill and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me.'...

...Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you accursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, a stranger and you gave me no welcome, naked and you gave me no clothing, ill and in prison, and you did not care for me.'...

...'Amen, I say to you, what you did not do for one of these least ones, you did not do for me.' And these will go off to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life."

John 12:44
Jesus proclaimed aloud: "Whoever puts faith in me believes not so much in me as in him who sent me; and whoever looks on me is seeing him who sent me. I have come to the world as its light, to keep anyone who believes in me from remaining in the dark. If anyone hears my words and does not keep them, I am not the one to condemn him, for I did not come to condemn the world but to save it. Whoever rejects me and does not accept my words already has his judge, namely, the word I have spoken it is that which will condemn him on the last day. For I have not spoken on my own; no, the Father who sent me has commanded me what to say and how to speak. Since I know that his commandment means eternal life, whatever I say is spoken just as he instructed me."

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Catholic Answers site has a wealth of information to help you wade through your questions that I found quite useful as I was going through the process of conversion. It should help you clarify things in your journey.
Catholic Answers | To Explain and Defend the Faith

Hi everyone,

Thank you!

• Useful
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Multifavs

Daughter of God
Site Supporter
May 28, 2017
USA
✟151,182.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
One reason I'm Catholic is because I was born to Catholic parents and baptized, raised, and confirmed Catholic. But it's more than that. Since joining CF I've learned more about my faith than I knew before and have read much more Scripture and more about Catholicism. I'm still a learning Catholic, I'd say, but I'm growing in my faith and understanding more and more about it and its doctrines. I know that it is the true Faith and I will stick with it.

To be honest, I knew very little about Protestantism and its doctrines until joining CF. Now that I have learned more about it, I reject it more than before. Think about it this way: The Catholic Church was the original Church started by Christ Himself (which He made Peter the Rock, or the first Pope, of). Protestantism, however, began many years after Christ's time when some Christians split from the Catholic Church and developed their own doctrines. Which sounds more like the truth?

After thinking about the matter some, I have come to realize just what the Protestant Reformers did: they removed books from Scripture, divided Christianity, and began many heresies. Not good influences in my opinion.

Something else I have learned is to take doctrines not accepted by the Catholic Church with a grain of salt. Catholic doctrines have been around since the Church began; non-Catholic doctrines did not appear until many years later. I think that traditional doctrines are far more convincing, then, and non-traditional ones are clearly created by men, not God.

I am not sure; maybe they don't understand the Catholic faith very well.

There will always be sinners in the Catholic Church, but the same goes for all Christian churches. All are located on earth and composed of human beings. However, that does not change the fact that the Church is holy, and it will stand no matter what may happen; Christ will prevail.

All that said, even if I do not agree with Protestants, I still love them as my brothers and sisters. I pray that they will come to the truths and to the One Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church.

As for you, @Dylan Akers, I will keep you in my prayers. If you have any more questions for us, feel free to ask and I hope we can be of help to you. God bless you!

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Hi everyone,

Thank you!
1. I'm a "cradle Catholic", though wasn't practicing until 3 years ago. I had some protestant beliefs initially, but quickly surrendered them.

2. I'm Catholic primarily because, being raised in the faith, I wanted to learn about it before abandoning it (I had considered becoming Buddhist in my teens without having done this). Three years after my reversion, I know a lot about the faith, but there's always more to learn. I have yet to find a reason to leave.

3. I reject protestantism as a whole largely thanks to my awareness of apostolic succession and how "deep" I am in Scripture, the Old Testament in particular.

4. A lack of knowledge, feeling betrayed by the clergy, wanting something "different"- there's no one reason.

5+6. What do you mean by "practice"?

Reactions: Multifavs
Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I was raised Catholic so I do not have the experience of converting from a different faith
But reading the Bible on my own has helped me grow in my faith and I see the Catholicity of the Church in the epistles, I see the teachings on works and faith being connected in Paul giving lists of types of sinners who will not receive everlasting life, we see the Sacraments in Acts (the laying on of hands and) and confession and last rites in in James, we see the nature of the Church also in acts having a council to resolve a major dispute, the epistles and acts shows the unity but also the autonomy of the local churches, the church is united but the normal way is to have local churches take care of local issues
Because I think it is the true faith
Historically we see that there was a continuous community that is the Church, this really narrows it down to Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, Roman Catholic
With the Scripural and historic support for the Papacy
As well as the West having a stronger history of evangelization thus fulfilling the Great Commandment, I believe the Catholic Church is the Church talked about in the Bible
1. Many of the beliefs of Protestantism do not get traced back to earlier then 5 or 6 hundred years ago, with many more less then 2 hundred years old
2. The moral quality of the founders, Henry VIII being a cheating violent king, Zwingli tried to starve out Catholic cities in Switzerland. While Luther is not as bad as those two but he was a man of anger and had some other moral problems, now of course we can see figures in Catholic history (and current events) who are absolute scum, but they are not FOUNDATIONAL figures, maybe this just sounds like I am splitting hairs but it makes a big difference to me
3. We can see from Henry VIII, Calvin, and Luther that Protestantism was never united, since then it has split into even more divisions, this lack of unity is one of the reasons secularism has gained such a hold in the modern West (not the only reason ofcourse)
Lots of reasons
The bad example of other Catholics cause people to doubt the faith
People get caught up in modern ways of thinking and want a more “modern” church
The strict moral rules drive some away
Good examples of Protestant Christians attract people to those faith communities
Probably a few dozen more lol
It is a holistic faith, the lived faith of Mass and the Sacraments, the intellectual consistency, the deep spirituality, the true concern for brining justice and mercy to the communities we are in.
Weaknesses, past 30 years we have had done a horrible job of teaching the faith to young people so we have lots of Catholics who do not understand the Faith
Because it is such a holistic faith people, it can be oversimplified to rigid legalism or foolish superstition, both of which lack the spirit of truth found in true Catholicism
Great love of Scripture
I could just copy and paste that a dozen times and I would not over emphasize this point, I am amazed by the great love and knowledge of Scripture I have seen among some Baptists
Focus on Christ and the Gospel message
Also inspirational

Weakness
Lack of unity, if all Protestants, or even just all Baptists were united and actually working together the USA would be a Christian nation
Some theological inconsistencies,and lack of theological development, this leads to social justice not being fully thought out (I hate this term because liberals have misused it)

Upvote 0