Questions about The Unpardonable Sin

Jan 22, 2017
USA
✟15,943.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I opened this up for people to ask their questions regarding the Unpardonable Sin..

Since this topic is not spoken about NEARLY enough.. I only learned of it recently. I maybe encountered one scripture pertaining to it in 23 years of life, and then again in my 23rd year. I may have heard one sermon briefly mentioning it in church, up until miraculously sometime last year, it was mentioned at least once that I can recall, just after I learned about it for what I consider the first time, since it was the first time I really thought about what it meant.

I have a lot of questions about it... and I have been researching it for almost a year now.
I ask for well-educated/Holy Spirit inspired answers ONLY..

Anyways... I will ask the first question and invite people to respond prayerfully, and ask their questions as well.. This should be a healthy environment.. so please give thought and prayer to your response, as we intend to avoid blaspheming and heresy on this forum..

Jan 22, 2017
USA
✟15,943.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I noticed if you abbreviate Unpardonable Sin to US, it looks like United States, or the word "us".. It made me think... how many of "us" in the US have blasphemed the Holy Spirit and have no chance of redemption, and how do we recognize a person that is beyond reconciliation? Would that person be capable of sympathizing with humanity or with God's heart? Would they exhibit symptoms of demonic possession? Would they be able to believe in Jesus Christ and profess Him with their lips? Are we even meant to be able to discern such a thing? And how are we supposed to treat such a person? If found out, should they be cut off from the Church, because they can never be pardoned? Or should they still be showered with love and forgiveness by man?

• Agree
Reactions: I need God
Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
I opened this up for people to ask their questions regarding the Unpardonable Sin..

Since this topic is not spoken about NEARLY enough.. I only learned of it recently. I maybe encountered one scripture pertaining to it in 23 years of life, and then again in my 23rd year. I may have heard one sermon briefly mentioning it in church, up until miraculously sometime last year, it was mentioned at least once that I can recall, just after I learned about it for what I consider the first time, since it was the first time I really thought about what it meant.

I have a lot of questions about it... and I have been researching it for almost a year now.

Anyways... I will ask the first question and invite people to respond prayerfully, and ask their questions as well.. This should be a healthy environment.. so please give thought and prayer to your response, as we intend to avoid blaspheming and heresy on this forum..
My only advice concerning the unpardonable sin, is that if you think you've committed it, apologize to the Lord.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2017
USA
✟15,943.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My only advice concerning the unpardonable sin, is that if you think you've committed it, apologize to the Lord.

What good does that do if it is an unpardonable, eternal sin?? That doesn't make sense. If it can't be pardoned, it can't be pardoned.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2017
USA
✟15,943.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
8If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10If we say we have not sinned, we make Him out to be a liar, and His word is not in us....

So if a person confesses blasphemy of the Holy Spirit... if they confess they have sinned greatly against God even in this way.. will He still not forgive me? Or is this man, John, a liar and a blasphemer for saying this, and not excluding the unpardonable sin..? How can both be true?

Upvote 0

R. Hartono

Feb 2, 2018
Depok
✟22,935.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
It was the sin of the pharisees who accuse Jesus of using Beelzebub power to cast out devils.

Matt 12:22 Then was brought unto him one possessed with a devil, blind, and dumb: and he healed him, insomuch that the blind and dumb both spake and saw.
23 And all the people were amazed, and said, Is not this the son of David?
24 But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, This fellow doth not cast out devils, but by Beelzebub the prince of the devils.
25 And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand:
26 And if Satan cast out Satan, he is divided against himself; how shall then his kingdom stand?
27 And if I by Beelzebub cast out devils, by whom do your children cast them out? therefore they shall be your judges.
28 But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you.
29 Or else how can one enter into a strong man’s house, and spoil his goods, except he first bind the strong man? and then he will spoil his house.
30 He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad.
31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.
32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.

Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟402,421.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I just want to say, first of all, it's good to be concerned about this as with any of God's Word. However, providing you believe in Jesus Christ, there's no cause for alarm.

What the verse refers to is not mere blaspheming of words in the sense that we utter something accidentally or in weakness, but rather a committed disregard and deliberate denial of the power and works of the Holy Spirit, and consequently the Father and the Son, our God.

Just as when Jesus said in Luke 14:26 "If anyone comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple.", it does not mean that we should hate our family or neighbour out of malice, but rather that we should exalt God above all. Context is everything. Scripture needs to be measured against Scripture.

In a similar way, when Jesus declares that no one will be forgiven for blaspheming against the Holy Spirit, we need to look at the full context. That is, that the Pharisees attributed the works of God to Beelzebul, by which they declare God to be a liar, when it's only to their own shame as it's a testament to themselves being liars. Put simply, they call God evil, because they themselves are evil. When the demon-possessed man was healed, so that he's no longer blind and mute, the Pharisees claims that it's not the work of the Holy Spirit. They deny the works and powers of the Holy Spirit and confound it with Satan. This is unpardonable.

What we can take away from this and apply in our lives, is that whoever denies that the Holy Spirit makes people alive in Christ, they will be judged.

I hope this makes sense and please don't worry, but give thanks to God for being rich in forgiveness and mercy! :)

• Useful
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
What good does that do if it is an unpardonable, eternal sin?? That doesn't make sense. If it can't be pardoned, it can't be pardoned.
This is the way I look at it: The Lord will forgive any sin, except the unpardonable sin, without an apology, once we repent. For the unpardonable sin, we have to apologize.

Upvote 0

1am3laine

Oct 9, 2017
Detroit
Visit site
✟68,961.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The unpardonable sin (matthew 12:31-32, Mark 3:28-30, Luke 12:8-10) is LITERALLY anything that insults the Holy Spirit.
You will find out in life MOST preachers don't preach about it because they are scared or plainly ignorant of it.
Many people have done this sin in recent years by doing the "blasphemy challenge" by rational response squad. You can look at MANY youtubes about it.

Some people even start hearing blasphemous thoughts once they find out about the unpardonable sin. They call it OCD Scrupulosity and they talk about it ALOT on here under forums/recovery/mental health/OCD.

Upvote 0

I need God

Feb 17, 2018
Wills point
✟17,268.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced

Anyways... I will ask the first question and invite people to respond prayerfully, and ask their questions as well.. This should be a healthy environment.. so please give thought and prayer to your response, as we intend to avoid blaspheming and heresy on this. I live in torment because i seek and have sought repentence but have not found it. Let me tell you to seek the Lord while He may be found and if you are struggling with sin give it to the Lord.. AND DONT GIVE UP. Exercise your faith put all your trust in Jesus. Its horrible what i have gone through and well i dont even want to type what is to be expected. Nothing in this world matters at all but Jesus. He is the truth the way and life but you have to believe. Just Believe Obey trust and praise your way through. Being without the presence of God is excruciating. Just believe

Upvote 0

I need God

Feb 17, 2018
Wills point
✟17,268.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
I think i may have texted in the wrong place. Its a scary thing to know that you have committed this sin. I advise never give up on God believe in Him and His Word. There is nothing more precious then Him. Sin isnt cool at all dont play with it it hardens the heart then what your screwed. Turn to Him he is all that matters when its all said and done. I hate what has happened to me and wouldnt wish it upon my worst enemy. Its scary and this realy isnt nothing to what is coming. Obey Him and His Word and believe but most of all dont give up DONT GIVE UP

Upvote 0

1am3laine

Oct 9, 2017
Detroit
Visit site
✟68,961.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think i may have texted in the wrong place. Its a scary thing to know that you have committed this sin. I advise never give up on God believe in Him and His Word. There is nothing more precious then Him. Sin isnt cool at all dont play with it it hardens the heart then what your screwed. Turn to Him he is all that matters when its all said and done. I hate what has happened to me and wouldnt wish it upon my worst enemy. Its scary and this realy isnt nothing to what is coming. Obey Him and His Word and believe but most of all dont give up DONT GIVE UP

Below are some videos that are true blasphemy against the Holy Spirit.

Satan does try sometimes to confuse people into believing they did the unpardonable sin when they have not.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

I need God

Feb 17, 2018
Wills point
✟17,268.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
I watched the videos and i have never done that but the thing is is i chose to undulge in other things instead of just believing. I am afraid. My soul miy mind my will isnt the same. My heart is evil and i gave up along time ago. I no longer fight anything or really took authority over it. Its worse now then ever. I wonder if there is others like me. I have gone from living for God to backsliding to being delivered so many times to returning to my vomit to repentence but cant find it anymore. Its horrible its the worst thing that has ever happened in my life. Now i am with my family but i am silent in torment. Its excruciating. Scary. Im sorry i am so negative but well it doesnt matter. Thank you for sending those videos

Upvote 0

1am3laine

Oct 9, 2017
Detroit
Visit site
✟68,961.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I watched the videos and i have never done that but the thing is is i chose to undulge in other things instead of just believing. I am afraid. My soul miy mind my will isnt the same. My heart is evil and i gave up along time ago. I no longer fight anything or really took authority over it. Its worse now then ever. I wonder if there is others like me. I have gone from living for God to backsliding to being delivered so many times to returning to my vomit to repentence but cant find it anymore. Its horrible its the worst thing that has ever happened in my life. Now i am with my family but i am silent in torment. Its excruciating. Scary. Im sorry i am so negative but well it doesnt matter. Thank you for sending those videos

We all get down in life and feel that GOD is far from us but with prayer and fasting things get much better. Try going to a church and calling some prayer lines.
some good ones are
tbn 1-888-731-1000
daystar 1-800-329-0029
word of faith 1.800.541.PRAY (7729)

you can also hit me up with a private message if you like. We can end up talking through email if you want as well.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

For general information I will share what I see Scripture is saying without spelling it out specifically in the Bible. The most complete Bible verse on that is Matthew 12:31-32, and that is showing that an attack against the Holy Spirit is rebellion in the worst degree, because He is the Holy Spirit of God ---not a man. Jesus allowed rejections against himself as the "Son of Man", but it would be also an attack on the Creator-God to speak against Jesus as the "Son of God" ---which also is an attack on the Creator, Jehovah. Puny man must never presume to attribute evil to the Creator, which is asking for trouble by gross rebellion.

If some one is ignorant he can ask of God reverently, and even say he cannot believe what he is reading in the Bible, but a rebellious attack on the Creator and His Spirit is really closing the door. I advise one to simmer down and be satisfied to just not believe 'til he progresses to a real state of desire to know His Creator.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Below are some videos that are true blasphemy against the Holy Spirit.

Satan does try sometimes to confuse people into believing they did the unpardonable sin when they have not.

So Depressing. It's like people don't even want to be saved from The Lake of Fire.

• Agree
Reactions: 1am3laine
Upvote 0

Monad_Wisdom

Mar 25, 2018
London
✟8,960.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Pardon my ignorance if the following is not the case as I am learning and new to the bible, but I understood it to be denial of the holy spirit and continuing to sin? In that respect, if a person stops that sin at any point and asks God for forgiveness, then they are no longer in denial of the holy spirit. So such a person could still be saved, is that correct? Please correct me if I an wrong and guide me to scripture.

Upvote 0