Questions about preterism from someone who doesn't know much about it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottEmerson

I Like Traffic Lights
May 9, 2002
Ocala, FL
✟682.00
Faith
Christian
I'm taking it from reading that the premise of preterism is that the Second Coming of Christ came around 70 A.D. What are the evidences of that? I thought even Christ didn't know when He was going to return - is this a contradiction?

What does the second coming have to do with Josephus?

The word used in Matthew 24:34 is genea, the feminine version of genos. This word doesn't necessarily equal a specific time - When it does, a generation is generally the time between a man's birth and the time of his first child's birth, according to other contemporary sources in koine Greek.

When did Titus build his "palace" in Jerusalem Daniel 11:45?

Doesn't Christ say the desolation will be after him, and wasn't Antiochus before Christ?

Just wondering - I'm trying to see which view makes more "sense," logically, Biblically, theologically, and common.

jenlu

May 29, 2002
Visit site
✟625.00
Scott,

I am not a preterist, but looking at all the ways the word generation is used in the N.T.(even by Jesus himself) it is blatanly obvious(unless you want to think differently of course) to me that he was speaking of the generation then living(his disciple's generation...the generation that crucified Jesus, there are many in depth looks at this word on this board)...Look at the "indictment", if you will, he lays down on Israel in chapter 23...BTW, I don't believe the abomination of desolation was fulfilled by Antiochus...What did Israel say as Jesus was put on trial and how did Jesus respond to crying women while carrying his cross..."Let His blood be on US and OUR children" Israel said...Jesus said...(don't have my Bible with me, but something to the effect) Why weep for me...weep for yourself and your children...Just like some parable's state...God sent prophet after prophet, and messenger after messenger, then He finally sent His Son...they would surely listen to Him...They didn't, and crucified Him... and His Coming(by O.T. scripture it can be proven that coming does not always mean coming to earth physically, everytime it was a coming in Judgement...) to them was great and terrible...

Upvote 0

NumberOneSon

The poster formerly known as Acts6:5
Mar 24, 2002
Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟22,170.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Great questions, Scott! Thanks for taking an interest. Good insight Jenlu (by the way, after reading your post, are you sure your not preterist? ;))

About your questions, Scott. The Olivet Discourse passages only teach that Jesus didn't know the "day or hour", but he did know that His Coming and subsequent judgment would occur within some of the apostles' lifetimes, within their generation. There is no contradiction since knowing His Coming would be in their generation is not the same thing as knowing the "day or hour".

I explained this on another post; if I were to tell you that I was coming to visit you in your generation, but I didn't know the exact day and hour at this time, would that be a contradiction? Of course not - I could know that I would visit you within a 40 year period and at the same time still not be sure the exact day or hour.

Evidences for the Second Coming in 70 A.D. are passages like . Mt 10:23, Mt 16:28, and Mt 23&24, for starters. Pericles mentioned a great link that will be able to give you a summary of the scriptures that we believe are relative to 70AD and preterism in general. Hope this helps:

http://www.liberty.edu/courses/theo250/preterism.html

Jenlu, the parable you presented (Luke 20:9-16) is a fantastic example; the greatest travesty that the "husbandmen" (Jews) would ever commit was to kill the heir (Jesus). Because of their crime, the Lord of the Vineyard would destroy them (in 70A.D.) and give the Vineyard (kingdom) to others. There is absolutely no question that this parable speaks of the destruction of the Jewish nation - the generation that had killed the Heir - and that the kingdom of God was given to others (the Church, the true Israel).

In Christ,

Acts6:5

Upvote 0

jenlu

May 29, 2002
Visit site
✟625.00

I consider myself a Christian with preterist leanings(now that I've heard of preterism...Just about 3 weeks ago I heard of it) I've long believed in (4 or 5 years) the 70 A.D. fulfillement of the Olivet Discourse and that the end of the "age" discussed throughout the N.T., but I do not buy into the whole deal yet...I have problems with some of the views...ie actual physical Second Coming, Judgement Day, the great commission?(not sure the real view preterists put forth on this one)...there are a few more I can't think of right now...Don't get me wrong though, I see where much of what preterists say is coming from...Not saying y'all are wholy wrong(you may be right) but I have not come to those conclusions yet while searching the scripture's...Thanks for your kind words...that parable really hits it home doesn't it...The Word is so Good...

Upvote 0

NumberOneSon

The poster formerly known as Acts6:5
Mar 24, 2002
Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟22,170.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Good to hear from you, jenlu. Right - you can believe in the concepts without the technical label. Anyway, we're not labels - we're Christians (or is that a label too? :)).

I'm still coming to grips with many preterist ideas as well. Some things I'm not sure about yet. Our view of scripture is certainly something we don't just jump into...it takes time and careful study.

In Christ,

Upvote 0
Originally posted by jenlu
Scott,

I am not a preterist, but looking at all the ways the word generation is used in the N.T.(even by Jesus himself) it is blatanly obvious(unless you want to think differently of course) to me that he was speaking of the generation then living(his disciple's generation...the generation that crucified Jesus, there are many in depth looks at this word on this board)...Look at the "indictment", if you will, he lays down on Israel in chapter 23...BTW, I don't believe the abomination of desolation was fulfilled by Antiochus...What did Israel say as Jesus was put on trial and how did Jesus respond to crying women while carrying his cross..."Let His blood be on US and OUR children" Israel said...Jesus said...(don't have my Bible with me, but something to the effect) Why weep for me...weep for yourself and your children...Just like some parable's state...God sent prophet after prophet, and messenger after messenger, then He finally sent His Son...they would surely listen to Him...They didn't, and crucified Him... and His Coming(by O.T. scripture it can be proven that coming does not always mean coming to earth physically, everytime it was a coming in Judgement...) to them was great and terrible...

Very good insites jenlu :clap: keep on keeping on brother.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.