Visit site
✟676,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
About Orthodox iconography. Sorry to post so many questions up front but it's easier to do so than to ask a dozen follow up questions.

Are there rituals and prayers involved while producing the icons? Is there anything ritual or blessing performed on them after production?
Are the icons believed to be charmed in some way or do they bestow something on the viewer? Likewise, can an icon be cursed or corrupted and cause harm.
Do you have to be Orthodox to create an authentic or acceptable icon?
Are the portraits of specific saints based on previous interpretations of the same saints or it up the artist to select models?
Are there any Christian subjects or themes that are off limits?
Are there prescribed mediums and supports? Are there prescribed symbols used?
I remember the icon screens from Byzantine Catholic churches. Is the culture or tradition of iconography similar to Byzantine Catholic?

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: ~Anastasia~

Barney2.0

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2017
Los Angeles
✟451,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Byzantine Catholics and Orthodox icons are exactly the same. Only Latin Roman Catholic Icons are different to Byzantine Icons. Icons are just images so they can’t be cursed or corrupted to cause harm. I do believe artists paint the Saints in traditional ways rather then make up their own design. Here’s some more information on how Icons are made:

How Orthodox church icons are made, tell visual faith stories

What makes an Icon Holy?

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I look forward to the answers as well. :)

I have only read a little, and asked a few questions of iconographers I know. So I really wouldn't want to say much.

I know there have developed different schools or lines in transmission of teaching with some very slight variations, so some of these answers might vary just a bit.

I know there are some traditional mediums as far as paints, but these could vary between those schools? And I know that there are different accepted mediums. Some icons are painted even in acrylics but blended pigments are more "proper".

And I know that it is normally expected for the iconographer to pray while producing the icon. Many also fast, etc. It seems there might be some variation in these practices.

I know there are sort of "templates" for how faces are supposed to look, such as Christ's and well-known Saints. A priest once told me that an iconographer uses eyes similar to Christ's for every Saint they paint, to refer to man being made in God's image. I've never known of an iconographer using a human model but then there's a lot I don't know so that might mean nothing.

Icons are normally blessed (in our jurisdiction) after being finished. They are kept in the altar table for 40 days (usually) and also blessed with prayers by the priest using holy water. The prayers (I wish I could remember them better) include something like the desire that they are a spiritual blessing to the person using them.

I don't think that makes them "charmed" but they are set aside things, blessed. Like holy water, a blessed baptismal cross, antidoron, etc. And additionally bearing an image of Christ or one who bears His image, so we treat them with respect. I also don't think they can become "cursed" but at the same time, I would avoid buying them from sources who produce them from illegitimate or stolen sources for profit, or who have questionable beliefs or practices. We have become aware of a few such sources.

I don't think I can speak to the rest with assurance. Except I've never heard of a non-Orthodox person being a regular producer of Orthodox icons. I do know some whose initial interest in Orthodoxy came through icons, and some began learning and practicing producing them before becoming Orthodox.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Calling our TAW Iconographers :D

Strikes me their help is needed
Had gotten distracted. I was going to say we should tag them, but I didn't want to because I'm afraid I'm forgetting someone. :)

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Remember, Icons are not "painted", they are written... :)
I was going to comment on my improper use in my post lol - thanks. Some things are just awkward to say and make sense. I often fail at that.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I was going to comment on my improper use in my post lol - thanks. Some things are just awkward to say and make sense. I often fail at that.

My comment was not directed at you Anastasia, it was just a general comment :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My comment was not directed at you Anastasia, it was just a general comment :)
I didn't necessarily think it was directed at me. I should have been more specific. Though to be honest, it wouldn't matter to me either way if it was toward me or not. :)

You did remind me though that I meant to qualify my post by saying that many (most?) would say it was improper of me to talk of "painting icons". But I will probably clumsily continue to use the phrase anyway, in some sentences. :)

Upvote 0

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟676,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Byzantine Catholics and Orthodox icons are exactly the same. Only Latin Roman Catholic Icons are different to Byzantine Icons. Icons are just images so they can’t be cursed or corrupted to cause harm. I do believe artists paint the Saints in traditional ways rather then make up their own design. Here’s some more information on how Icons are made:

How Orthodox church icons are made, tell visual faith stories

What makes an Icon Holy?

Thanks everyone for the information and links. The first link seems to be offline but the second was very informative. What I'm understanding is the iconographer, thru fasting and prayer and humility seems to receive thru divine revelation an inspired, authentic image or vision of a saint which is 'transcribed' into an image considered holy. The article also noted that even a copy of an existing holy icon might retain that holy character, since the image to begin with is what is holy since the image is divinely inspired. I guess the art is called 'writing' since the iconographer is said to be ' transcribing' received images rather than selfishly conceiving images purely from the imagination, which would be presumptuous and arrogant in this context. In that regard the iconographer is more like a scrivener so 'writing' makes sense. Here's a quote
from the article:

'Likewise, miracle-working icons do exist, in great numbers, but this physical manifestation of God’s grace is not needed for us to confidently call an image holy. All that is required is for the image to be of a holy thing or person, and be a true image of that holy thing or person.'

I've never known of an iconographer using a human model but then there's a lot I don't know so that might mean nothing.
This fits since the portraits are believed to be authentic likenesses when properly received and written by the iconographer.

One of the icons in the article depicts St. Luke in front of canvas painting the first icon of Mary with the baby Jesus, with Luke's hand being physically guided by an angel.

This is a lot to assimilate. Thanks again for all the links! Iconography is a lot different I presume than the western baroque approach, at least in the way it's conceived. I m sure the renaissance priests in the west probably blessed the cathedral paintings and sculptures.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

nutroll

Veteran
Apr 26, 2006
Boise, ID
Visit site
✟280,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Remember, Icons are not "painted", they are written... :)

You can call it whatever you want, but to insist that others do on ridiculously untenable linguistic grounds is absurd. There are several good articles on the subject, but the gist is that when the Greek word has more than one meaning, we should choose the one that most aligns with what we are doing, and that meaning is "paint." This is not to deny the complimentary nature of the icon and the written word, but in fact to make it clear that they are not synonymous but indeed complimentary.

Are there rituals and prayers involved while producing the icons? Is there anything ritual or blessing performed on them after production?

I would be lying if I said there weren't rituals and prayers involved, but they vary from person to person depending on what you have been taught, or what you have been given as an obedience. It is important to understand that it is not the holiness of the iconographer that makes an icon holy, it is the image itself and its connection to the person depicted. That being said, if some spirit-bearing elder gave me a brick or a handful of sand for whatever reasons he might have, I would treasure it. An icon painted by someone truly holy can't help but be special in some way, but holiness does not depend on the piety or lack thereof of the person holding the brush. All iconographers should be living lives of prayer, fasting, and alms-giving, not because they are iconographers, but because they are Christians. And like all Christians, their prayer rule will depend on their spiritual father and their own spiritual maturity.

There are blessings for icons, though this is problematic given that in defending icons against the iconoclasts one of the arguments the fathers made was that there is no prayer of blessing for icons, they are holy because of the image that they bear. With that being said, I think as long as we view this as a dedication of an icon rather than a "consecration" meant to unite a prototype and an image in some sort of consubstantial way, it does not have to be problematic. I usually have my icons blessed by having them placed on the altar because as an iconographer I feel that it serves as a reminder that it is not my work alone.

Are the icons believed to be charmed in some way or do they bestow something on the viewer?

Charmed would be a weird word with potentially magical connotations. They are certainly blessings in our lives, they are vehicles by which the grace of God is imparted to us, they are a connection to the people depicted, and they can be used by God's mercy for great wonders and miracles both bodily and spiritual.

Likewise, can an icon be cursed or corrupted and cause harm.
I can't think of how this would work, except to say that if the Eucharist can be damaging if received unworthily, so too could an icon be used in a counterproductive way. What comes to mind is the story of the icon of the Mother of God Unexpected Joy.

Icon of the Mother of God “The Unexpected Joy”

While the icon had a positive effect, it was despite his efforts to use it for his own purposes. Had he persisted, I could see where it might have been a cause of harm in a sense.

Do you have to be Orthodox to create an authentic or acceptable icon?

Because the holiness of the image does not lie in the worthiness of the painter, I think it is possible for God to use an icon by a non-Orthodox Christian in positive ways, but in general, if you are Orthodox, it would be a far better practice to get your icons from Orthodox Christians who are hopefully knowledgeable about our tradition and steeped in it.

Are the portraits of specific saints based on previous interpretations of the same saints or it up the artist to select models?

Because the images are tied to the prototypes, it would generally be a poor idea to use a model for painting an icon since you would be more likely to create a link between the model and the image than the saint and the image. That being said, there is nothing wrong with doing figure studies and learning from live models how to sketch or paint. But we should be going back to the tradition for how a saint looked. In very few cases there is not a ready prototype, and in those cases we must depict the Saint using what we do know about them and the usual depictions of Saints in a similar class. In frequent cases Saints have appeared to iconographers in order to know how they should be painted.

Are there any Christian subjects or themes that are off limits?

If "Christian" is properly defined, then I would say no. But you will see icons of the Sacred Heart which is not acceptable within an Orthodox framework. Depictions of God the Father, while frequently found in Orthodox Churches create issues in our understanding of the depictability of the Divine nature and the uniqueness of the Incarnation of Christ. So we must understand what is truly Christian before we create icons according to our understanding.

Are there prescribed mediums and supports?

If there is a preference in the writings of the Fathers, I would say it is for Encaustic. Beyond that we are told to use "suitable materials." I am very disturbed by those who have created a theology behind the materials because the Fathers make it clear that the holiness of the icon does not lie in the matter itself though matter is sanctified. That said, if someone prefers egg tempera, as many do, then use egg tempera.

Are there prescribed symbols used?

The word symbol can be problematic when speaking of icons, but there are certainly certain artistic, visual conventions that are part of the creation of icons, and while we should not be quick to assume that we understand the meaning of every element in an icon (nor that every element has a specific meaning) I think it is good to view some of these things as a sort of mystagogical or interpretive layer that helps to bring us to prayer and greater piety. We should not think that these opinions have a dogmatic quality, but are rather pious reflections.

I remember the icon screens from Byzantine Catholic churches. Is the culture or tradition of iconography similar to Byzantine Catholic?

Byzantine Catholics retain much of the form from their Orthodox roots, and this carries over very often in iconography as well.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
You can call it whatever you want, but to insist that others do on ridiculously untenable linguistic grounds is absurd. There are several good articles on the subject, but the gist is that when the Greek word has more than one meaning, we should choose the one that most aligns with what we are doing, and that meaning is "paint." This is not to deny the complimentary nature of the icon and the written word, but in fact to make it clear that they are not synonymous but indeed complimentary.

I was brought up Russian Orthodox and the tradition was that Icons are written. Pysat is to write. It must be a language thing. Must be the same in Greek. Pysanky are written eggs at Pascha.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟676,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Beyond that we are told to use "suitable materials." I am very disturbed by those who have created a theology behind the materials because the Fathers make it clear that the holiness of the icon does not lie in the matter itself though matter is sanctified. That said, if someone prefers egg tempera, as many do, then use egg tempera.
Different mediums have the same pigments anyway right, so all the mediums have something in common.

Icon of the Mother of God “The Unexpected Joy”

While the icon had a positive effect, it was despite his efforts to use it for his own purposes. Had he persisted, I could see where it might have been a cause of harm in a sense.
This is from the linked article:
"The Mother of God replied, “You and other sinners, because of your sins, crucify My Son anew.” Only then did he realize how great was the depth of his sinfulness. For a long time he prayed with tears to the All-Pure Mother of God and the Savior for mercy. Finally, he received the unexpected joy of the forgiveness of his sins." Is it Orthodox belief that sins crucify Christ anew? I've heard that before in Catholicism but I don't know if its official doctrine or dogma.

The word symbol can be problematic when speaking of icons, but there are certainly certain artistic, visual conventions that are part of the creation of icons
Is it safe to say it's bad form to deviate from the conventions, like you wouldn't produce a cubist style icon for example, for the sake of tradition and humility.

I visited your website and your paintings/ writings are exceptionally beautiful. I saw on your bio you lived in Latrobe for a while. My father was from Latrobe. I spent many Easters and four Sundays a year in the Byzantine Catholic Church in Bradenville listening to mass in Slovak. The church had, at the time at least, a beautiful massive icon screen that completely separated the altar from the pews. Anyway, thanks for all the information! Here's a pic of the Bradenville Church. You probably drove past it at one point. My grandparents are buried behind the building on the hill to the right. Thanks again
st marys.jpg

Attachments

• st marys.jpg
    st marys.jpg
    398.3 KB · Views: 2
Upvote 0